Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 25, 2024, 02:27:18 am

Fear not fellow fairweathered fans

Started by Sweet Feet, March 10, 2018, 03:51:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

Arkansas is still a decent tournament team and CMA is still doing better than the past coaches after Nolan. The hogs have beaten some pretty good teams this year and down the stretch up to this point and i know it's hard to remember that when you are fairweathered. But Tennessee is just a good team and having 2 byes saves legs and energy.

CMA has Arkansas going to it's 3rd NCAA tournament under him and has gotten them to the SEC Title game twice, going up against Kentucky who was a #1 Seed in the NCAA Tournament. This team is also tied 2nd in school history with the most wins vs AP ranked opponents in a season. CMA is a good coach and he is not going anywhere. Arkansas is in good hands. Firing him would just bring on 5+ years of mediocrity and cries of being snakebit.

BannerMountainMan

Why are we even having to bring up post like this saying he doesn't need to be fired, everybody should know that.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 10, 2018, 04:23:29 pm
Why are we even having to bring up post like this saying he doesn't need to be fired, everybody should know that.

^^^^^^^^^
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

oldbooniehog

Mike is here to stay.

Hog basketball has fallen so far from its glory days past that Mike is the perfect coach now.

Like Forrest City Joe said in a thread I started, it is simply NOT FAIR to compare Mike to Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson.

Not fair one bit to expect those kinds of results out of Mike.

So long as Hog fans are perfectly content to just make the NCAA tournament field 37.5% of the time over an 8-year span, and make it to the Sweet Sixteen once every 22 or 23 years, Mike is the man for the job!

Willyboy

Quote from: oldbooniehog on March 10, 2018, 04:32:43 pm
Mike is here to stay.

Hog basketball has fallen so far from its glory days past that Mike is the perfect coach now.

Like Forrest City Joe said in a thread I started, it is simply NOT FAIR to compare Mike to Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson.

So long as Hog fans are perfectly content to just make the NCAA tournament field 37.5% of the time over an 8-year span, and make it to the Sweet Sixteen once every 22 or 23 years, Mike is the man for the job!

Lol this is his first post since the Kentucky loss.  Quite clearly this is the exact type of poster that this thread is meant to reach and it goes right over his head.  What a loser.  Get out of here dude.

Sharky

Bask in the above averageness of CMA. He's a great person, and a top 50 coach. Maybe he will get that one magical season at Arkansas, but every year that passes, his system becomes slightly more dated as guard play improves, more touch fouls are called, and there are more tv timeouts.

That said, we're married to CMA for as long as he wants. Get behind him. Enjoy the style of play, because it is fun to watch, even if it doesn't deliver national championships.

I think it could, with an amazing recruiting year, but Mike doesn't give his stars as many minutes as they get in other systems, so I'm not sure that's likely either.

pigface

We need to get Mike some more money.  I say quickly get together another 500k a year or so.

rude1

Quote from: Willyboy on March 10, 2018, 04:46:11 pm
Lol this is his first post since the Kentucky loss.  Quite clearly this is the exact type of poster that this thread is meant to reach and it goes right over his head.  What a loser.  Get out of here dude.
What do you mean? It gets just as old for you guys to get on here and tell us how wonderful the program is doing, despite no significant accomplishment in the 7 years he has been here. You throw 3 tourney visits in 7 seasons around like we have been going to sweet 16s or elite eights. We are all hoping that CMA can take the program back to national respectability, but the fact is thus far he hasn't. After every win you guys flock here to pound your chest and hold CMA up like we just won something, it's the equivalent of just peeing on our feet and trying to convince us it is raining.

raz1965

Mike is recruiting to build a bench so no drop occurs when he substitutes, Mike is gonna play his bench, with good recent recruiting things will get even better. A deep talented team under Mike has the sky as the limit.

alohawg

He's a mediocre coach as many have noted. It's relative tho because mediocre is better than anyone else post-Nolan. That's about it, nothing to gloat about.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

rude1

Quote from: raz1965 on March 10, 2018, 04:59:31 pm
Mike is recruiting to build a bench so no drop occurs when he substitutes, Mike is gonna play his bench, with good recent recruiting things will get even better. A deep talented team under Mike has the sky as the limit.
This is year 7, explain why we do not already have those things in place?

pghawg1

Anderson is a damn good coach . I wished some of you so called fans would get off his a**

alohawg

Quote from: pghawg1 on March 10, 2018, 05:03:30 pm
Anderson is a damn good coach . I wished some of you so called fans would get off his a**

If he were that damn good, good teams would come knocking for his services every off-season. Where's that line?
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

pghawg1

Just  WHO in the Hell do u [CENSORED], want as a coach.

CapitalCityHawg

Quote from: alohawg on March 10, 2018, 05:06:14 pm
If he were that damn good, good teams would come knocking for his services every off-season. Where's that line?

Good teams already have good coaches?

alohawg

Quote from: CapitalCityHawg on March 10, 2018, 05:08:41 pm
Good teams already have good coaches?

Good teams hire every off-season without exception.
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

alohawg

Quote from: pghawg1 on March 10, 2018, 05:08:30 pm
Just  WHO in the Hell do u [CENSORED], want as a coach.

Rick Barnes ain't too shabby, apparently.
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

CapitalCityHawg

pghawg1

I was was at the game with Tenner earlier this year we beat them in Walton ,and we beat them Last year in Nashville 

Applebottomjeans

We cannot expect to compete nationally when elite programs are paying recruits.  Dominos will start to fall after the tournament this year.  I don't recall the last time I wasas proud of our team as I was last night.  I haven't been this happy with our team in over 20 years.  I'm so sad we're losing our seniors but i feel like this excitement can only help us in recruiting.  Regardless, GO HOGS!!!!!!!!!

alohawg

-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

rude1

Quote from: Applebottomjeans on March 10, 2018, 05:15:19 pm
We cannot expect to compete nationally when elite programs are paying recruits.  Dominos will start to fall after the tournament this year.  I don't recall the last time I wasas proud of our team as I was last night.  I haven't been this happy with our team in over 20 years.  I'm so sad we're losing our seniors but i feel like this excitement can only help us in recruiting.  Regardless, GO HOGS!!!!!!!!!
Is this the new rallying cry? Are you suggesting that the five teams seeded ahead of us are all buying players? And what does buying players have to do with CMA inability to sign and keep four year guys on his roster? Are 3* kids being paid too?

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Willyboy on March 10, 2018, 04:46:11 pm

There's little reason to post much on Jump Ball because so much of what happens is sadly predictable.  Whatever chance this team had in the SECT went south with the UK and Mizzou losses that locked them out of the double bye.  They were able to muddle through against USC and their one good effort last night left them largely spent today even if UT had not been extremely hot and MA's repeated attempts to provoke their pride simply showed he had nothing else for them.  Had Tenner been ice cold Arkansas might have had it hopes stoked up again tonight but deep down we knew what waited tomorrow.

The predictability continues tomorrow anyway when they'll secure a 7th seed and draw a decent but beatable 10 seed.  They will have enough to get by the opening round and that will set them up to face a 2nd seed that will be playing pissed because they were dropped from the 1 line.  Another 15 point 2nd round dismissal. 

And with that what may well be Mike Anderson's best Arkansas team, even if he stays another decade, will pass quietly from the scene in keeping with a solid quarter century of underperformance. 

Feel free to respond with any number of tried and true glass half full arguments.  Jump Ball exists these days for that endless debate.

elksnort

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on March 10, 2018, 05:23:18 pm
There's little reason to post much on Jump Ball because so much of what happens is sadly predictable.  Whatever chance this team had in the SECT went south with the UK and Mizzou losses that locked them out of the double bye.  They were able to muddle through against USC and their one good effort last night left them largely spent today even if UT had not been extremely hot and MA's repeated attempts to provoke their pride simply showed he had nothing else for them.  Had Tenner been ice cold Arkansas might have had it hopes stoked up again tonight but deep down we knew what waited tomorrow.

The predictability continues tomorrow anyway when they'll secure a 7th seed and draw a decent but beatable 10 seed.  They will have enough to get by the opening round and that will set them up to face a 2nd seed that will be playing pissed because they were dropped from the 1 line.  Another 15 point 2nd round dismissal. 

And with that what may well be Mike Anderson's best Arkansas team, even if he stays another decade, will pass quietly from the scene in keeping with a solid quarter century of underperformance. 

Feel free to respond with any number of tried and true glass half full arguments.  Jump Ball exists these days for that endless debate.
Fair post. Realistic.
Get the right drawl and who knows.

CapitalCityHawg

Quote from: alohawg on March 10, 2018, 05:19:39 pm
Current openings include Uconn, Pitt, Ole Miss and Georgia

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-coaching-carousel-kevin-ollie-uconn-hirings-firings-changes-rumors-2018/

Why would any AD think Mike would leave Arkansas for one of those programs? Do you think every open job calls Coach K because he is the best coach out there? No, they don't call him because they know they have no chance of getting him. Certainly Georgia, Ole Miss and Pitt would be thrilled to get Mike but they won't call because they know they have no chance.

Hogvillage Idiot

Quote from: oldbooniehog on March 10, 2018, 04:32:43 pm
Mike is here to stay.

We need a third option after applaud / smite called appite, or smilaud, or something like that.
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp

Arky

yep

hobhog

We got beat by a better program. UT is top 25 and it would be an upset if we won. It is what it is.

Oliver

6 seed or 7 seed, I'm still not overly confident we'll win our first round game.  We can play like a very good basketball team but we can also lose to LSU at home.  I do think a first round win with a second round Tennessee part 2 seems the most likely scenario.

Oliver

Quote from: hobhog on March 10, 2018, 06:08:02 pm
We got beat by a better program. UT is top 25 and it would be an upset if we won. It is what it is.

I would have felt better if we were ever a threat to win that game

MountieDawg

Quote from: Sweet Feet on March 10, 2018, 03:51:13 pm
Arkansas is still a decent tournament team and CMA is still doing better than the past coaches after Nolan. The hogs have beaten some pretty good teams this year and down the stretch up to this point and i know it's hard to remember that when you are fairweathered. But Tennessee is just a good team and having 2 byes saves legs and energy.

CMA has Arkansas going to it's 3rd NCAA tournament under him and has gotten them to the SEC Title game twice, going up against Kentucky who was a #1 Seed in the NCAA Tournament. This team is also tied 2nd in school history with the most wins vs AP ranked opponents in a season. CMA is a good coach and he is not going anywhere. Arkansas is in good hands. Firing him would just bring on 5+ years of mediocrity and cries of being snakebit.

So you are excited to be hanging a 3rd round of 32 banner at Bud Walton in 7 years.   There is a good chance this team loses 7 seniors and Gafford this year.   Will that be a good excuse for MA being at the bottom of the pack next year in the SEC...  I bet there is not another team in the country with 7 seniors and a freshman lottery pick in the country.  But this is what happens when you lose recruits and go the juco route and load heavy one year with 7 seniors.  I do believe this team could make the Sweet 16 and I do believe Anderson is here for a while.

SEC!

Oliver

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 10, 2018, 06:11:28 pm
So you are excited to be hanging a 3rd round of 32 banner at Bud Walton in 7 years.   There is a good chance this team loses 7 seniors and Gafford this year.   Will that be a good excuse for MA being at the bottom of the pack next year in the SEC...  I bet there is not another team in the country with 7 seniors and a freshman lottery pick in the country.  But this is what happens when you lose recruits and go the juco route and load heavy one year with 7 seniors.  I do believe this team could make the Sweet 16 and I do believe Anderson is here for a while.

I Cringe thinking about next year

hobhog

Quote from: Oliver on March 10, 2018, 06:12:43 pm
I Cringe thinking about next year

No kidding. If this is the ceiling with MA with this roster I shudder what next year will be like.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Oliver on March 10, 2018, 06:10:31 pm
6 seed or 7 seed, I'm still not overly confident we'll win our first round game.  We can play like a very good basketball team but we can also lose to LSU at home.  I do think a first round win with a second round Tennessee part 2 seems the most likely scenario.
yall act like this team isn't good at all, we just played 3 games in 3 freaking days and took #23 down on lost to #13 because they couldn't get any lift in their shots. Cause they were all dead tired
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Oliver

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 10, 2018, 06:14:21 pm
yall act like this team isn't good at all, we just played 3 games in 3 freaking days and took #23 down on lost to #13 because they couldn't get any lift in their shots. Cause they were all dead tired

Last night was a gutsy win.  And today was a quick turnaround.  But it's not like it's the first time this scenario has played out.  We've won 4 games in 4 days before.  I didn't expect to win today but I expected to compete.  We'll face much better teams than Tennessee in the NCAAT

rude1

Does any of this change the facts of this season? Why did we play 3 freaking games in 3 days? Getting blown out at home to LSU and losing again to them on the road? Losing to Ky at home when everyone else beat them on their home court? Losing the final game at Mo.? Excuse it all you want this team has underachieved drastically IMO. 2 all conference guards and one of the best freshman in the conference, and this is all we have managed with them thus far.

alohawg

So why were they pressing, coach?
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: rude1 on March 10, 2018, 06:17:07 pm
Does any of this change the facts of this season? Why did we play 3 freaking games in 3 days? Getting blown out at home to LSU and losing again to them on the road? Losing to Ky at home when everyone else beat them on their home court? Losing the final game at Mo.? Excuse it all you want this team has underachieved drastically IMO. 2 all conference guards and one of the best freshman in the conference, and this is all we have managed with them thus far.
why did Kentucky lose 10 games, we did a good Alabama team lose 14 times, because we are in the 2nd best dang conference in the Country

TushCrush

This is a hater thread ha ha ha. I'm not posting.

rude1

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 10, 2018, 06:19:32 pm
why did Kentucky lose 10 games, we did a good Alabama team lose 14 times, because we are in the 2nd best dang conference in the Country
Why did everyone else who played Ky at home not named Vandy or Arkansas, find a way to beat Ky? Why do we have 2 all conference players and one of the best freshman in the conference but only mustered a 6 seed in the SEC tourney?

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: rude1 on March 10, 2018, 06:22:02 pm
Why did everyone else who played Ky at home not named Vandy or Arkansas, find a way to beat Ky? Why do we have 2 all conference players and one of the best freshman in the conference but only mustered a 6 seed in the SEC tourney?
dude why are you even complaining we are in the top 25 man?

rude1

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 10, 2018, 06:26:37 pm
dude why are you even complaining we are in the top 25 man?
Oh really, must be in your own personal rankings, of which I am sure we were in there all season according to you.

hobhog

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: rude1 on March 10, 2018, 06:30:06 pm
Oh really, must be in your own personal rankings, of which I am sure we were in there all season according to you.
then how are we a 6 seed? AP top 25 doesn't even matter all that is is giving the blue bloods a good ole ranking by their name, their is no way Mich st should be ranked that high it's crazy

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

rude1

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 10, 2018, 06:32:01 pm
then how are we a 6 seed? AP top 25 doesn't even matter all that is is giving the blue bloods a good ole ranking by their name, their is no way Mich st should be ranked that high it's crazy
We haven't been given a 6 seed, it's speculation at this point. Ok, just like I said, we are to 25 in your rankings, of which we have been in all season.............

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: rude1 on March 10, 2018, 06:34:22 pm
We haven't been given a 6 seed, it's speculation at this point. Ok, just like I said, we are to 25 in your rankings, of which we have been in all season.............
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-duke-could-land-a-no-1-seed-with-a-win-vs-unc/amp/ CBS also

texas tush hog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 10, 2018, 04:23:29 pm

I don't know, there are still some stupids on this board. And like Ron White says "you can't fix stupid".

WorfHog

The SEC Tournament literally means nothing. The real test comes next week. Mike will have us rested and ready.

The anti Mike crowd is out in full force this afternoon. They'd rather have a washed up Texas castoff at the end of his career (ie Rick Barnes) than Mike, mainly because Rick Barnes is white. Mike's 7-3 against Barnes,he consistently outcoaches him. The sky is not falling. We'll be a 5 or 6 seed tomorrow with a good shot at the Sweet 16.  Lot's of good team's don't win their conference championship.

texas tush hog

Quote from: rude1 on March 10, 2018, 06:22:02 pm

Quote from: rude1 on March 10, 2018, 06:30:06 pm

Quote from: rude1 on March 10, 2018, 06:17:07 pm

Quote from: rude1 on March 10, 2018, 05:20:42 pm
Is this the new rallying cry? Are you suggesting that the five teams seeded ahead of us are all buying players? And what does buying players have to do with CMA inability to sign and keep four year guys on his roster? Are 3* kids being paid too?

Quote from: rude1 on March 10, 2018, 05:01:20 pm
This is year 7, explain why we do not already have those things in place?

Quote from: rude1 on March 10, 2018, 06:34:22 pm

Can't fix stupid.