Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Broke my driver and need a new one.

Started by Boarcephus, March 09, 2018, 08:20:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

Have no idea how I broke the mother but damn sure did.  Looking at the Taylormade M-1.  Does anyone have one or have thoughts on a better one?  Thanks. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 09, 2018, 08:20:22 am
Have no idea how I broke the mother but damn sure did.  Looking at the Taylormade M-1.  Does anyone have one or have thoughts on a better one?  Thanks.

The Callaway Epic is better.

Up to and through early this winter when I was still playing my old Taylormade Superquad 7, every year I would try all the latest drivers as they came out on the market. I never found anything that would actually beat what I would do with my  Quad. (I averaged around 220-225 with it) And I tried them all. Sure they all promised longer distances. But that was just the usual hype.

Last year when Callaway came out with the Epic it was the first driver that actually did what they said it would do. On the simulators at the stores I actually hit that club 15 yards longer than my Taylormade. (averaging around 240 and that with a swing speed of 85-90 mph) But I still wasn't going to use that extra 15 yards to justify spending $500 for one. A few weeks ago I saw a Epic Sub Zero Demo for sale at the NLR Golf HQ for $290 and I jumped on it. I love the way it hits. When the Rogue came out I went back to Edwin Watts  and compared it to my Sub Zero and the Rogue does hit longer. Maybe 3-5 yards but of course that isn't going to make me shell out another $500 for it when I just got the Sub Zero.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Boarcephus

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 09, 2018, 08:59:26 am
The Callaway Epic is better.

Up to and through early this winter when I was still playing my old Taylormade Superquad 7, every year I would try all the latest drivers as they came out on the market. I never found anything that would actually beat what I would do with my  Quad. (I averaged around 220-225 with it) And I tried them all. Sure they all promised longer distances. But that was just the usual hype.

Last year when Callaway came out with the Epic it was the first driver that actually did what they said it would do. On the simulators at the stores I actually hit that club 15 yards longer than my Taylormade. (averaging around 240 and that with a swing speed of 85-90 mph) But I still wasn't going to use that extra 15 yards to justify spending $500 for one. A few weeks ago I saw a Epic Sub Zero Demo for sale at the NLR Golf HQ for $290 and I jumped on it. I love the way it hits. When the Rogue came out I went back to Edwin Watts  and compared it to my Sub Zero and the Rogue does hit longer. Maybe 3-5 yards but of course that isn't going to make me shell out another $500 for it when I just got the Sub Zero.

Appreciate it.  I'll take a look at it.  I just found out mine was broken yesterday so I'm just now in the market and don't plan on rushing into it. They have a new M-1 for $350.   I'm sure I can beat the price on-line but I'll have them measure my swing speed and see what shaft I need and I'm not so tight if they'll do all of this for me and I can buy local, I will.  Have always hit the stiff shaft but turned 64 the other day so I'm sure I don't swing as hard as I used to.  ;) 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

GolfNut57

It helped me a lot to drop from a regular flex to the Sr flex in shafts. I also went  to the lightest weight I could get too. My Epic has the 40 gram shaft in the driver and I use the Graffaloy Pro Blue Sr. Flex 45 gram in my old Taylormade Burner 3W. I hit that club around 200 or so.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Boarcephus

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 09, 2018, 03:52:26 pm
It helped me a lot to drop from a regular flex to the Sr flex in shafts. I also went  to the lightest weight I could get too. My Epic has the 40 gram shaft in the driver and I use the Graffaloy Pro Blue Sr. Flex 45 gram in my old Taylormade Burner 3W. I hit that club around 200 or so.

Slipped down this afternoon after our round and had my swing speed tested and I have no business playing a stiff shaft.  I tested a regular shaft and gained about 15 yards on carry alone.  You raised a good point and I think I'll look at the senior shaft while I'm messing around.  Safe to say my swing won't get any faster. 

cc

Getting fit is the key.  You save money in the long run not searching for the right one. 

majestic

I got the Epic last year and had it fitted at Golf USA. I can hit it better than any other driver I've ever owned, and average about 240 with it.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

GolfNut57

Wish we had a Golf USA here in central AR. That would give Golf HQ some competition. In fact it would be nice to have the PGA Superstore here too but the closest store for them is in GA.

Boarcephus

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 10, 2018, 05:09:20 pm
Wish we had a Golf USA here in central AR. That would give Golf HQ some competition. In fact it would be nice to have the PGA Superstore here too but the closest store for them is in GA.

I think what I've decided to do after hitting the M-1 at the store and getting my swing speed, ball spin, etc analyzed is re-shaft my Ping with a good regular flex shaft.  I'm not gaining that much, if any, with the new club and the one I'd want is $500.   I think was impressed me most was the extra yardage I gained by dropping down to the regular flex.  I can pick up the M-3 or Epic next year for half price and I think that's the route I'm taking.

Appreciate all the info guys.  Thanks.

Arky

GolfNut57

cc

I got the Epic last spring with a Aldila Rogue Black X flex.  Bought and sold a couple of shafts making a little each time.  Ended up with a Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X.  Never thought I'd own a $380 shaft but really only have an extra $25 in it after all.  Never thought I would be able to carry it 270 again either

kingofdequeen

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 10, 2018, 05:09:20 pm

golf HQ doesn't need any more competition.  their prices are friggen outstanding already.   If you don't check out JP at the one on Markham you're paying too much.   I don't deal with the one in NLR but it's not b/c i dont want to.  I just don't go there.

the GolfUSA in Fayettteville now?  Awesome.   Old ownership?   NOPE.

kingofdequeen

Secret to buying drivers...buy the bad ass one from 2 years ago and save 200-250 bucks.   

Boarcephus

Quote from: kingofdequeen on March 12, 2018, 09:05:01 am
Secret to buying drivers...buy the bad ass one from 2 years ago and save 200-250 bucks.   

That my man, is the plan. I'm not cheap but $500 for a single club is a joke.  The shaft guru is in today at Golf USA and I'll have him set me up with a good one and pick up an M3 next year in the $200-250 range you mentioned. 

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 09, 2018, 08:20:22 am

The GX-7 X-Metal may be something to consider.  It may be all that is needed, and it may make a high dollar Driver unnecessary.

There is a lot of information about the GX-7 X-Metal below the video box in the following link.

https://go.gx7golf.com/get/gx7xmetal/?utm_source=gctv&utm_medium=tv&utm_campaign=gctv-gx7golf60

Dillar Dog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 31, 2018, 07:34:10 pm
The GX-7 X-Metal may be something to consider.  It may be all that is needed, and it may make a high dollar Driver unnecessary.

There is a lot of information about the GX-7 X-Metal below the video box in the following link.

https://go.gx7golf.com/get/gx7xmetal/?utm_source=gctv&utm_medium=tv&utm_campaign=gctv-gx7golf60

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA.....     *breathes* 

......AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA

That's great stuff.

dmfdds

There is a PGA Superstore in Arlington Tx by the way.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Dillar Dog on March 31, 2018, 08:51:35 pm
BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA.....     *breathes* 

......AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA

That's great stuff.

Not any funnier then getting manipulated to pay out $300 to $500 for a Driver by the 4 companies who account for about 75% of all Drivers that are sold.  Drivers by those 4 companies that are engineered for Tour pros and not engineered for amateurs.

kingofdequeen

Has anyone tried The Hammer recently?  Very underrated stick. 

GolfNut57

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on April 01, 2018, 04:26:10 pm
Not any funnier then getting manipulated to pay out $300 to $500 for a Driver by the 4 companies who account for about 75% of all Drivers that are sold.  Drivers by those 4 companies that are engineered for Tour pros and not engineered for amateurs.

Wow.........PT Barnum was right........

Dillar Dog

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 01, 2018, 04:38:45 pm
Has anyone tried The Hammer recently?  Very underrated stick. 

I've been hitting the nitro lately

GolfNut57

Quote from: Dillar Dog on April 01, 2018, 05:42:04 pm
I've been hitting the nitro lately

I really loved the Top Flight Intimidator when it came out. You could even buy it at Sam's Warehouse.  ;)

GolfNut57

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 31, 2018, 07:34:10 pm

Ok....so do you have that club in your bag? And if not, why not? With it being so great for hackers and all.

Btw, Perry Maxwell is overrated!  :)

GoHogs1091

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 01, 2018, 06:35:50 pm
Ok....so do you have that club in your bag? And if not, why not? With it being so great for hackers and all.

Btw, Perry Maxwell is overrated!  :)

Nope, I don't, but I am considering going to the following 5 club set-up.  The thing about only having 5 clubs is that it will make club selection real easy for a shot.

GX-7 X-Metal   14°  267cc   43" shaft

The Perfect Club   21°  an older one though with a steel shaft   39.25" shaft

Black Magic Golf  HWedge  Hybrid Wedge   40°   Steel shaft   Face forward designed; can't be shanked   Can also be used on full shots from the fairway.  It usually replaces a 7 or 8 iron.

http://www.blackmagicgolf.com/store/40%C2%B0-Hybrid-Wedge-p84808488

Black Magic Golf  HWedge   Hybrid Sand Wedge   55°   Steel shaft   Face forward designed; can't be shanked   Can be used from 100 yards and in from any condition.

http://www.blackmagicgolf.com/55-degree-hwedge/

Yes! Golf Tracy Putter   Retief Goosen used the Yes! Golf Tracy to win the U.S. Open at Southern Hills in 2001, and to win the U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills in 2004.  Here are some reviews.

http://www.golfreview.com/product/golf-clubs/putters/yes-golf/tracy.html

kingofdequeen

Wildhog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on April 02, 2018, 01:30:42 am
Nope, I don't, but I am considering going to the following 5 club set-up.  The thing about only having 5 clubs is that it will make club selection real easy for a shot.

Black Magic Golf  HWedge  Hybrid Wedge   40°   Steel shaft   Face forward designed; can't be shanked   Can also be used on full shots from the fairway.  It usually replaces a 7 or 8 iron.

Black Magic Golf  HWedge   Hybrid Sand Wedge   55°   Steel shaft   Face forward designed; can't be shanked   Can be used from 100 yards and in from any condition.

Yes! Golf Tracy Putter   Retief Goosen used the Yes! Golf Tracy to win the U.S. Open at Southern Hills in 2001, and to win the U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills in 2004.  Here are some reviews.

That needle is further down the spectrum than I thought.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

userpick

Wut?

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on April 02, 2018, 08:52:56 am
That needle is further down the spectrum than I thought.
Probably fixing to sign up for the online lessons for $99.

hawgon

How is that's Arkansas Golf Center for club fitting?  They'll do a whole bag fitting for $75.  If they are any good, that sure sounds worth it.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: hawgon on April 02, 2018, 10:06:45 am
How is that’s Arkansas Golf Center for club fitting?  They’ll do a whole bag fitting for $75.  If they are any good, that sure sounds worth it.

They are very nice folks. Brannon (owner) knows his stuff.

Wildhog

Quote from: hawgon on April 02, 2018, 10:06:45 am
How is that's Arkansas Golf Center for club fitting?  They'll do a whole bag fitting for $75.  If they are any good, that sure sounds worth it.

I worked there for a couple of years.  They do good work.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawgon

Good to know.  I'm going to make an appointment before too long.

kingofdequeen

i will not give the same review as my friends HnD and mildhog.

hawgon

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 02, 2018, 11:14:06 am

All thoughts are welcome...even from you.  Not so good experience?   

PonderinHog

hawgon

If I had to guess, they lose money on the fitting and make a hard pitch to sell you some new clubs to match the specs they just found.

Wildhog

Quote from: hawgon on April 02, 2018, 11:42:53 am
If I had to guess, they lose money on the fitting and make a hard pitch to sell you some new clubs to match the specs they just found.

They're certainly going to try to sell you on some clubs.
1909/1964/1965/1977

GoHogs1091

Quote from: userpick on April 02, 2018, 09:11:53 am
Wut?

Only 5 clubs instead of 14 clubs makes club selection real easy for a shot.  It also makes for a lot less weight to have to be carried around.

Regarding that GX-7 X-Metal, here is a review video in which the person tested the club.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 02, 2018, 11:14:06 am

Asking you about clubs is like asking a brain surgeon about brains.

You're gonna get way more info than you wanted, whether right or not.

Wildhog

I just can't get over this. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

CabotHog87

Quote from: Wildhog on April 03, 2018, 11:05:53 am
I just can't get over this.

I still can't believe the answer was right in front of our faces this whole time.

Wildhog

Quote from: CabotHog87 on April 03, 2018, 11:16:55 am
I still can't believe the answer was right in front of our faces this whole time.

At 3am on the golf channel, no less.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PonderinHog

userpick

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on April 02, 2018, 02:48:30 pm
Only 5 clubs instead of 14 clubs makes club selection real easy for a shot.  It also makes for a lot less weight to have to be carried around.

Regarding that GX-7 X-Metal, here is a review video in which the person tested the club.

I'm just gonna go ahead and tell you. If the main selling point of the clubs are "they cant be shanked", then it's still 5 more clubs than you need.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: userpick on April 03, 2018, 03:16:19 pm
I'm just gonna go ahead and tell you. If the main selling point of the clubs are "they cant be shanked", then it's still 5 more clubs than you need.