Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When playing in cooler weather.......

Started by GolfNut57, March 06, 2018, 04:04:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfNut57

My mens scramble group at Cypress Creek is beginning our season tomorrow morning and it is supposed to still be in the high 30's when we tee off at nine. I have two sets of irons running from 6I up through the wedges, one with steel shafts (Pings) and the other set is graphite shafted. I am not sure which set would be better to use on a cold morning but I gotta think the cold temps will affect the flexing of the two types of shafts differently.

Is that accurate or will it likely be the same either way?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Wildhog

Personally, I'd choose whichever set I'm more comfortable with.

And then I'd stay home.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

GolfNut57

Quote from: Wildhog on March 06, 2018, 04:05:35 pm

And then I'd stay home.

Nah.......it is supposed to warm up enough to where it will be relatively nice later in the mid morn. Besides, after all that damn rain we've gotten lately it will be nice to spend some time out in the sun.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

kingofdequeen

lol no golf below 55 unless hawgndaaz makes me.

Wildhog

Quote from: kingofdequeen on March 06, 2018, 04:08:43 pm
lol no golf below 55 unless hawgndaaz makes me.

55's still too cold for golf.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 06, 2018, 04:08:32 pm
Nah.......it is supposed to warm up enough to where it will be relatively nice later in the mid morn. Besides, after all that damn rain we've gotten lately it will be nice to spend some time out in the sun.

Ok, so which set are you better with?
1909/1964/1965/1977

GolfNut57

Quote from: Wildhog on March 06, 2018, 04:10:46 pm
Ok, so which set are you better with?

In warm weather I hit either set about the same distance wise. I miss the greens with both sets just as well too though.  :D

really the only difference between the two is the Ping set has a higher ball flight than the graphite set.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

widespreadsooie

Quote from: Wildhog on March 06, 2018, 04:05:35 pm

And then I'd stay home.

Whatever your comfortable with, agree. No need to add unnecessary pressure from a forced decision.

HognitiveDissonance

Due to temperature, the rule of thumb is you lose 1 yard for every 3 degrees drop.

If playing in July and it's 94 degrees, your drive may go 200 yards, for example
If playing in Feb and it's 54 degrees, your drive goes about 13.33 yards less (40 degrees / 3 = 13.33) for about 187 yards

This rule of thumb is pretty accurate I think

Dillar Dog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on March 06, 2018, 06:14:04 pm
Due to temperature, the rule of thumb is you lose 1 yard for every 3 degrees drop.

If playing in July and it's 94 degrees, your drive may go 200 yards, for example
If playing in Feb and it's 54 degrees, your drive goes about 13.33 yards less (40 degrees / 3 = 13.33) for about 187 yards

What if it's really humid in July?

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Dillar Dog on March 06, 2018, 07:05:11 pm
What if it's really humid in July?
It assumes you're playing the same location where conditions are roughly the same except the temp.

It doesn't account for other factors such as altitude i.e. difference between playing in Denver vs the coast.

I was playing on Saturday...temp was not bad, about 65. I was hitting it pretty decent but just wasn't quite getting the same distance as the summer on the same course.

GolfNut57

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on March 06, 2018, 06:14:04 pm

That's all well and good......but the question was which type of shaft was better to hit in cold temps. Steel or graphite?

RazorPiggie

I don’t play golf unless it’s at least short sleeves weather. I’ve played too many times in snow, rain, wind. It’s just not fun.

kingofdequeen

Dillar Dog

clutch

That's a bunch of thought being put into a cold weather round of golf. Or a round of golf period. I'd just grab the set I thought I hit best and roll with it. I doubt either choice will even make a strokes difference. It wouldn't for me at least. I'm not good enough that it would impact my game. I aim for the green and try to hit it in the middle of it. A few yards deeper or shorter wouldn't make a difference to me.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Dillar Dog on March 07, 2018, 07:48:39 am
You know that's not true.  Stop it.

dude.  humidity is almost as important as grain.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: kingofdequeen on March 07, 2018, 09:08:02 am

dude.  humidity is almost as important as grain.

Are you talking golf or weed?     
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

cc

The colder weather, I'd probably play with the graphite.  Less hand buzz on mishits.

99toLife

Use steel shafts and keep your balls warm. Laugh all you want.

H&D

Honestly, you're worried about NASCAR level stuff when you're just driving a go-cart at Fastlanes. It's not going to matter. 
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

99toLife

Quote from: H&D on March 07, 2018, 12:47:01 pm
Honestly, you're worried about NASCAR level stuff when you're just driving a go-cart at Fastlanes. It's not going to matter.

From a former Competitive golfer.  +1

ricepig

Quote from: H&D on March 07, 2018, 12:47:01 pm

As the D level player we're just there to cheer on the better players, anyway.

99toLife

Quote from: ricepig on March 07, 2018, 01:02:22 pm
As the D level player we're just there to cheer on the better players, anyway.

D Players need to putt and chip somewhat well and maybe one lucky shot from the fairway , and that can take a team from what could have happened to Winning.  ;)

GolfNut57

FWIW, went with the steel shafted Pings this morning and hit the ball much better than with the Graphites yesterday. So that is that.  8)