Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are there any good coaches in the SEC?

Started by Rome26, February 26, 2018, 10:16:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: JoeyJackMcKaskall on February 27, 2018, 03:37:30 pm
Wow.  I guess I never realized Calipari had drawn up a double screen for a 3 out of a timeout.  I'm surprised a ground breaking strategy like that didn't get more pub.  BTW, did you watch the time he had a undefeated team lose to a Wisconsin team with inferior talent in the Final Four?  That was a good one too.

Really? You created another account just for that.

And you are actually going to start talking about coaches losing to teams with "inferior" talent and use an example in the Final 4 to do so?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: hogsanity on February 27, 2018, 01:13:23 pm
I watched last year as Cal called a timeout, got his teams together, drew up a double screen to get Monk open for a 3, his team went out, ran the play, Monk nailed the 3. The dude can coach x's and o's. Did you see the adjustments Ky made at half time last week before the rolled the Hogs right out of BWA?

Whoa...a double screen?! Didn't realize he was THAT amazing. I kid. I kid.

So, here's the reality of the situation...I loathe Cal. Even though nothing "tied him to the scandals", I believe it's naive to believe his hands are clean of the UMass and Memphis cheating, and now at Kentucky with this FBI probing.

I can't stand cheaters, and when he went to our biggest basketball rival, it made me dislike him even more. So, just like most Hog fans, I hold a bias when discussing Cal. I've given him credit for certain coaching things like recruiting and motivational skills. And being a coach on the highest level, I believe he's learned a thing or two about plays and schemes.

But I stand firm that every year, he is #1 or 2 in the recruiting rankings. Look back at my rankings and not even Coach K has done that. So, every year he has the best of the best, and will still fall out of the top 25 rankings at times. He still misses the tourney at times. One year they won the NIT and another they lost in the first round. I feel like you're also saying that Steve Kerr is one of them best coaches of all time, who can basically roll out the ball and say go play and still win.

He's probably better than I give him credit for, but I also don't think he's as amazing as y'all say either.
If there is a happy medium, I'd bet he's around there.

Ps...I've never seen anybody defend a hated coach of our bitter rivals as much as you two. I'm not questioning your Razorback fan hood, but this really does seem odd to me.

Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

hogsanity

Quote from: JoeyJackMcKaskall on February 27, 2018, 03:42:46 pm
When has he ever won without elite talent?  Was Derrick Rose not elite? Was Marcus Camby not elite?  Archie Goodwin wasn't elite but they lost to Robert Morris in the first round of the NIT.  You might want to cut out the bs.  I'm not real sure why people on this board havent put you in your place but you keep posting absolute nonsensical crap with your buddy the officiating whisperer and you're both going to get made a fool of.

Wait you just joined yesterday and you already know all these things about people? Yea, yet another poster that has to have multiple accts.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

steveaustin69

Quote from: JoeyJackMcKaskall on February 27, 2018, 03:42:46 pm
When has he ever won without elite talent?  Was Derrick Rose not elite? Was Marcus Camby not elite?  Archie Goodwin wasn't elite but they lost to Robert Morris in the first round of the NIT.  You might want to cut out the bs.  I'm not real sure why people on this board havent put you in your place but you keep posting absolute nonsensical crap with your buddy the officiating whisperer and you're both going to get made a fool of.

Watch out! We've got a tough guy! He's gonna put me in my place!

30-5 and a Sweet 16 prior to Camby. 

Sorry, I should have clarified; without elite talent throughout the roster.  Please point me to any coach with over two decades of success without great players.

hogsanity

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 27, 2018, 03:46:59 pm
Whoa...a double screen?! Didn't realize he was THAT amazing. I kid. I kid.

So, here's the reality of the situation...I loathe Cal. Even though nothing "tied him to the scandals", I believe it's naive to believe his hands are clean of the UMass and Memphis cheating, and now at Kentucky with this FBI probing.

I can't stand cheaters, and when he went to our biggest basketball rival, it made me dislike him even more. So, just like most Hog fans, I hold a bias when discussing Cal. I've given him credit for certain coaching things like recruiting and motivational skills. And being a coach on the highest level, I believe he's learned a thing or two about plays and schemes.

But I stand firm that every year, he is #1 or 2 in the recruiting rankings. Look back at my rankings and not even Coach K has done that. So, every year he has the best of the best, and will still fall out of the top 25 rankings at times. He still misses the tourney at times. One year they won the NIT and another they lost in the first round. I feel like you're also saying that Steve Kerr is one of them best coaches of all time, who can basically roll out the ball and say go play and still win.

He's probably better than I give him credit for, but I also don't think he's as amazing as y'all say either.
If there is a happy medium, I'd bet he's around there.

Ps...I've never seen anybody defend a hated coach of our bitter rivals as much as you two. I'm not questioning your Razorback fan hood, but this really does seem odd to me.

Where did I say he was amazing. I said he is a very good coach when it comes to x's and o's. And I said he is likely dirty or at the very least turned a blind eye to things going on.

Then again, who was it yesterday that said Coach K spits the bit in the NCAAT?...........

greenEGnHAWGS

Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

hogsanity

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 27, 2018, 03:49:16 pm
Watch out! We've got a tough guy! He's gonna put me in my place!

30-5 and a Sweet 16 prior to Camby. 

Sorry, I should have clarified; without elite talent throughout the roster.  Please point me to any coach with over two decades of success without great players.

Yea he is so tough he has to have multiple accts to spout off with.

hogsanity

steveaustin69

Hmmmmm. Kinda weird.

Quote from: JoeyJackMcKaskall on February 27, 2018, 03:37:30 pm
Wow.  I guess I never realized Calipari had drawn up a double screen for a 3 out of a timeout.  I'm surprised a ground breaking strategy like that didn't get more pub.

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 27, 2018, 03:46:59 pm
Whoa...a double screen?! Didn't realize he was THAT amazing.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: hogsanity on February 27, 2018, 03:49:36 pm
Where did I say he was amazing. I said he is a very good coach when it comes to x's and o's. And I said he is likely dirty or at the very least turned a blind eye to things going on.

Then again, who was it yesterday that said Coach K spits the bit in the NCAAT?...........

My goodness man. Like to split hairs much? I said amazing. You said very good. What's the difference?!

You also got upset with anyone who says that he's probably cheating because they can't provide proof.

And conveniently you only quote part of whole paragraph again when I stated that even the Great Coach K spits the big "at times" and gave my 3 examples of Mercer, Providence, and Lehigh. If you're going to point out things I say, at least use it's full context.

hogsanity

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 27, 2018, 03:52:36 pm
Hmmmmm. Kinda weird.

The "new" acct posts like FCJ only with spaces and periods.

greenEGnHAWGS

hogsanity

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 27, 2018, 03:54:34 pm
My goodness man. Like to split hairs much? I said amazing. You said very good. What's the difference?!

You also got upset with anyone who says that he's probably cheating because they can't provide proof.

And conveniently you only quote part of whole paragraph again when I stated that even the Great Coach K spits the big "at times" and gave my 3 examples of Mercer, Providence, and Lehigh. If you're going to point out things I say, at least use it's full context.

Your last paragraph is even more ridiculous. In 38 seasons at Duke he has missed the NCAAT 4 times, and 3 of those were his 1st 3 seasons. 5 nc's and all the other things and you pick out those 3. I believe he has more Title game appearances than Mike has trips to the tourney. Your full context is what? That in 30+ ncaat appearances he got upset early 3 times?

I know it is extremely hard to admit that there are better coaches than Mike, but good grief. If you want to point out a coach that I think does terribly underachieve in the NCAAT point out Jay Wright or Chris Mack or Mick Cronin.

greenEGnHAWGS

Well...even though we disagreed, the debate was at least semi-civil before Joey showed up.

Hogs and Steve, go back to post 112. That will pretty much surmise my honest thoughts. If you think I'm wrong, then I think we'll just have to part ways agreeing to disagree.

hogsanity

Quote from: JoeyJackMcKaskall on February 27, 2018, 03:57:18 pm
STFU. This is your excuse everytime someone calls you out. Usually it's so and so registered 3 years ago, now its that I registered yesterday.  Clearly you arent smart enough to realize this board is public.

Ah yes, the ole " I have been lurking for years but just never felt compelled to join and post until someone suggested Calipari is a good coach " reason for knowing all about the board yet being a totally "new" poster.  All the coaching changes, all the wins and losses, yet this is the subject that drove you to post. Sure, we all believe you.

steveaustin69

Quote from: JoeyJackMcKaskall on February 27, 2018, 03:51:09 pm
I started an account because I'm sick and tired of reading yours and hogsanity's bs, amongst others.  Its a dumb argument by a dumb poster.
I already explained it to you.  This isn't a one on one tutorial for your benefit.

Calipari cheats.  He has at every stop. He underachieves with the talent he has to work with.  For every KAT or Devin Booker there is a Harrison twin, Archie Goodwin, or Malik Monk.  The guy is a slimeball snake oil salesmen in every way.  That has thrown enough crap at the wall that some of it has stuck.

I have a game to get ready for.  The last one in my season ticket package.  But I will be back to clean up any other bs you try to spew on here.  And that goes for the rest of the neanderthals that have nothing better to do than gripe and complain anonymously.

We get it. He's a slimeball. 

Guess what? Doesn't matter unless he gets caught.

Since 2010-2011: when the one and done Coach K era effectively started with Kyrie Irving.

Calipari: 214-50, an elite eight, 3 final fours, and a title
Coach K: 203-51, two sweet 16s, an elite eight,  and a title

I guess Coach K under performs and stinks, too. Right?

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: hogsanity on February 27, 2018, 04:03:03 pm
Your last paragraph is even more ridiculous. In 38 seasons at Duke he has missed the NCAAT 4 times, and 3 of those were his 1st 3 seasons. 5 nc's and all the other things and you pick out those 3. I believe he has more Title game appearances than Mike has trips to the tourney. Your full context is what? That in 30+ ncaat appearances he got upset early 3 times?

I know it is extremely hard to admit that there are better coaches than Mike, but good grief. If you want to point out a coach that I think does terribly underachieve in the NCAAT point out Jay Wright or Chris Mack or Mick Cronin.

Isn't there a wall that you could argue with instead of being here?

All you've done is make mountains our of mole hills. I made an off-hand comment about the coach the Steve brought up and you've taken it and ran with it despite the fact that this convo has nothing to do with him. And why would I compare Jay Wright, Chris Mack, or Mick Cronin? Are they getting the top talent every year? If not, then I expect them to be mediocre.

hogsanity

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 27, 2018, 04:03:39 pm
Well...even though we disagreed, the debate was at least semi-civil before Joey showed up.

Hogs and Steve, go back to post 112. That will pretty much surmise my honest thoughts. If you think I'm wrong, then I think we'll just have to part ways agreeing to disagree.

How much clearer do I have to be? Cal is probably dirty. Cal is a pretty good X/O coach. One does not make the other incorrect.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: hogsanity on February 27, 2018, 04:08:16 pm
How much clearer do I have to be? Cal is probably dirty. Cal is a pretty good X/O coach. One does not make the other incorrect.

Well, I think that's it for me as its pretty easy to see that you don't pay attention to my post, but instead just want to bicker.

More power to you, friend.

steveaustin69

February 27, 2018, 04:14:10 pm #119 Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 04:24:31 pm by steveaustin69
Quote from: JoeyJackMcKaskall on February 27, 2018, 03:58:55 pm
So you went back 26 years?  Sounds like an elite coach for sure.  Who was on that roster by the way?  Who did they beat?

He's been pretty good (whether by the rules or not; doesn't matter; nothing to implicate him) at getting elite players for a pretty long time. That's part of being a great coach. Isn't Saban great? Doesn't he year in year out get the best players?

I pointed to a season he didn't have multiple next level players on the roster. I'm sorry that wasn't good enough for you.

Again, can you please direct me to a coach who has decades of success without great players?

steveaustin69

Quote from: JoeyJackMcKaskall on February 27, 2018, 04:44:39 pm
Lol. Well if this board could collectively come up with better arguments than coach K spit the bit then people like me wouldn't feel compelled to start accounts. There are some ppl out there sick and tired of this website but they're more frustrated with the lack of logic and facts used to shut these trolls up.

You can't even keep track of who you're mad at. Hilarious.

steveaustin69

Quote from: JoeyJackMcKaskall on February 27, 2018, 04:47:15 pm
It does matter. It matters a great deal. We've become a society of lie, cheat, steal, and then make them prove it. If you want to play naive about John Calipari then go for it, just do society a favor and don't raise your kids that way. This country has enough problems with character and integrity.

Okay, reverend.

Steef

Quote from: JoeyJackMcKaskall on February 27, 2018, 03:51:09 pm
I started an account because I'm sick and tired of reading yours and hogsanity's bs, amongst others.  Its a dumb argument by a dumb poster.
I already explained it to you.  This isn't a one on one tutorial for your benefit.

Calipari cheats.  He has at every stop. He underachieves with the talent he has to work with.  For every KAT or Devin Booker there is a Harrison twin, Archie Goodwin, or Malik Monk.  The guy is a slimeball snake oil salesmen in every way.  That has thrown enough crap at the wall that some of it has stuck.

I have a game to get ready for.  The last one in my season ticket package.  But I will be back to clean up any other bs you try to spew on here.  And that goes for the rest of the neanderthals that have nothing better to do than gripe and complain anonymously.

Not particularly clever of you to do it.

REALLY questionable to announce it.