Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We have our own "Catfish Hole" here in SW Ark

Started by labb, December 11, 2017, 10:43:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

labb

Our new Football coach showed up at the "Fish Bowl" located on lake Millwood when he came down to Ashdown to flip the Brown kid...Wish I could post the pic off of Face Book but am old and don't know how.

Brandon Wheeler shared Fish Bowl At Millwood's post.
1 hr ·
Arkansas New Head Coach Chad Morris showed up in my hometown over the weekend. Looks like he picked up an excellent recruit too...GO HOGS!!! No doubt in my mind that he is the right head coach and truly believe he will turn our program around!
Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people standing and indoor
Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and indoor
Image may contain: 8 people, people smiling, people standing and indoor
No automatic alt text available.
+8
Fish Bowl At Millwood added 11 new photos.Like Page
3 hrs ·
Last night we had the pleasure of hosting some of the coaching staff of the ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS including new head coach Chad Morris (in our Razorback

goodguytex

I read about that... They have great fish and service at the Fish Bowl in Ashdown! Wish I could've been there when they visited. I read CCM went around shaking hands and signing autographs after.

LRHawg

December 11, 2017, 10:51:51 am #2 Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:18:24 am by LRHawg
Last night we had the pleasure of hosting some of the coaching staff of the ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS including new head coach Chad Morris (in our Razorback Banquet Room of course)! The staff was in town hoping to gain top 5 Arkansas recruit, Ashdown High School Cornerback LaDarrius Bishop. We are excited to announce that at the end of their dinner meeting LaDarrius made the decision to join the Hogs in the 2018 season! (We're convinced the food and service helped make the decision 😉) The excitement from Coach Morris was awesome to see! We here at the Fishbowl are honored that they chose our restaurant to hold their meeting, and we would also like to thank Coach Morris for patiently shaking hands, taking pictures and signing autographs for all the Hog Fans that were in the house last night. We look forward to seeing you again Coach M! Good luck in your first season and the many more to come! GO HOGS!!

There were several photos on their Facebook page, here's  a few:

That is Barry Lunney Jr in the second one, but I'm not sure who those other folks are.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: labb on December 11, 2017, 10:43:48 am
Our new Football coach showed up at the "Fish Bowl" located on lake Millwood when he came down to Ashdown to flip the Brown kid...Wish I could post the pic off of Face Book but am old and don't know how.

1 hr ·
Arkansas New Head Coach Chad Morris showed up in my hometown over the weekend. Looks like he picked up an excellent recruit too...GO HOGS!!! No doubt in my mind that he is the right head coach and truly believe he will turn our program around!
+8
3 hrs ·
Last night we had the pleasure of hosting some of the coaching staff of the ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS including new head coach Chad Morris (in our Razorback

Not sure why, but this made for a good Monday laugh. Thanks for the effort!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on December 11, 2017, 10:53:47 am
Not sure why, but this made for a good Monday laugh. Thanks for the effort!

It's awesome to see Hog love outweigh tech savvy... Loved it.!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

AirWarren

Who are the other kids?

Have some good size on them as well.

goodguytex

Quote from: AP85 on December 11, 2017, 11:11:46 am
Who are the other kids?

Have some good size on them as well.
Members of his family, so I heard.

synthartist69

AirWarren

goodguytex

Quote from: AP85 on December 11, 2017, 11:24:32 am
Smell of money.....paper.
That's the Domtar paper mill, biggest employer in Ashdown. It stinks, but folks that work there make a great living.

Uncommon

Our new Football coach showed up at the "Fish Bowl" located on lake Millwood when he came down to Ashdown to flip the Brown kid
Ummm?

Did you mean LaDarrius Bishop instead of Montaric Brown?

AirWarren

Quote from: goodguytex on December 11, 2017, 11:25:58 am
That's the Domtar paper mill, biggest employer in Ashdown. It stinks, but folks that work there make a great living.

Exactly.

labb

Ya'll do know it was Bishop not Brown.....Way it is when you get old...Those that don't know about South Arkansas H.S. Football are missing something...Take a look at the Nashville Scrappers record sometime..

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

1 hr ·
+8
3 hrs ·

We should start an old man non techie club. Thanks for the article. +1
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

The OTR

I don't know much but I do know that the catfish down there isn't as good as the catfish at the catfish hole. I don't want to get into a big debate about it as I have debated this topic at length with such stubborn members as ricepig. 

But let's not start comparing the Fish Bowl to the catfish hole.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation on this matter.

010HogFan

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 11, 2017, 12:32:59 pm
I don't know much but I do know that the catfish down there isn't as good as the catfish at the catfish hole. I don't want to get into a big debate about it as I have debated this topic at length with such stubborn members as ricepig. 

I whole heartedly disagree. The catfish in South Arkansas and NE Texas is second to none because it comes straight off the Red River. Yummy. I've had both. Way better than Catfish Hole, but CH has the hushpuppy game on lockdown

AirWarren

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 11, 2017, 12:32:59 pm

Catfish hole= Yankee Catfish.

No thanks.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

The OTR

Quote from: 010HogFan on December 11, 2017, 12:35:46 pm
I whole heartedly disagree. The catfish in South Arkansas and NE Texas is second to none because it comes straight off the Red River. Yummy. I've had both. Way better than Catfish Hole, but CH has the hushpuppy game on lockdown

I did NOT want to get into this today but I'm all mixed up in another catfish debate so here goes.

The Red River is fine for noodling catfish. I've noodled a bunch of big flatheads out of the river and it's one of my favorite places to noodle.

Having said that all these places that serve catfish in TX and south Arkansas probably aren't getting them from the Red River.  Maybe some gas stations are but I doubt too many restaurants are. If you can provide proof that they are then I'll be a big enough man to come in here and say I'm wrong.

Catfish hole has the best catfish in the state. They may get a little cheap when they're handing out fries but I ain't ever ate a bad piece of catfish from the catfish hole and if you think CBB would have packed on 150 pounds eating Red River south Arkansas catfish you are delusional. He put on that solid weight loading up on the all you can eat catch at the catfish hole and I'll beg anyone's pardon for disagreeing with that statement.

swinemaster

hawgon

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

kellyc1925

Gas stations in South Ark serve better catfish than the CH....  CH does have the hushpuppy thing going. 

Beached

Quote from: AP85 on December 11, 2017, 12:37:51 pm

No thanks.

Here... let me show you a real Yankee Catfish -

AirWarren

Quote from: Beached on December 11, 2017, 01:19:44 pm
Here... let me show you a real Yankee Catfish -

Fry him up and put him on a plate in NWA and call it "catfish".

010HogFan

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 11, 2017, 12:50:15 pm
I did NOT want to get into this today but I'm all mixed up in another catfish debate so here goes.

The Red River is fine for noodling catfish. I've noodled a bunch of big flatheads out of the river and it's one of my favorite places to noodle.

Having said that all these places that serve catfish in TX and south Arkansas probably aren't getting them from the Red River.  Maybe some gas stations are but I doubt too many restaurants are. If you can provide proof that they are then I'll be a big enough man to come in here and say I'm wrong.

Catfish hole has the best catfish in the state. They may get a little cheap when they're handing out fries but I ain't ever ate a bad piece of catfish from the catfish hole and if you think CBB would have packed on 150 pounds eating Red River south Arkansas catfish you are delusional. He put on that solid weight loading up on the all you can eat catch at the catfish hole and I'll beg anyone's pardon for disagreeing with that statement.

I'm sorry, I just don't like the catfish at the Catfish Hole :( preference I guess.

It's too flat and the breading is always on edge of being burnt. I've had way better catfish in NWA than Catfish Hole. Catfish John's and Flying Fish in Rogers both have really good, thick pieces of catfish.

Garland City in SW Arkansas has two catfish restaurants that are just excellent. Westshore and Doc's are right on the river so I'd be shocked if it didn't come from there. It's a must try if you're ever in the area.

HOGKING

I love both places. I grew up in South Arkansas and have been to the fish bowl many times. The biggest difference is with the hushpuppies, it is what gives the catfish hole the edge.

jvanhorn

You should try the "Cadron Creek" fish house in Bee Branch, Arkansas and "Fred's Fish House" in Mountain Home, Arkansas.  Two more excellent places to get catfish.  "The Fish House" in Conway is not bad either.  I know that the fish in these places is farm raised and I have always assumed the same about the Catfish Hole which, by the way, I actially happen to like the one in Alma a lot better than the one in Fayetteville.

blueridger

PorkRinds

Quote from: jvanhorn on December 11, 2017, 01:46:20 pm
You should try the "Cadron Creek" fish house in Bee Branch, Arkansas and "Fred's Fish House" in Mountain Home, Arkansas.  Two more excellent places to get catfish.  "The Fish House" in Conway is not bad either.  I know that the fish in these places is farm raised and I have always assumed the same about the Catfish Hole which, by the way, I actially happen to like the one in Alma a lot better than the one in Fayetteville.

Alma>Fayetteville.  This is my opinion, presented as fact.

LRHawg

No thanks.

That's pretty funny.

The best hush puppies can be had at Fish Net on Degray Lake.

AirWarren

Quote from: LRHawg on December 11, 2017, 02:12:33 pm
That's pretty funny.

The best hush puppies can be had at Fish Net on Degray Lake.

I question anyone that puts sugar in their ingredients of their hush puppy like the catfish hole does.

cosmodrum

No thanks.

I think it's cool that you never stray from your brand.
Go away, batin'

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 11, 2017, 01:55:16 pm
Alma>Fayetteville.  This is my opinion, presented as fact.
Stronger work ethic in the valley.  At least when it comes to fried catfish and hush puppies.

AirWarren

Quote from: cosmodrum on December 11, 2017, 02:36:50 pm
I think it's cool that you never stray from your brand.

You mean a human being that has an opinion different from another human being?

Amazing revelation to you?

labb

Next time you are at the Fish Bowl try the Alligator...Bet you can't get that at the Catfish Hole. I have tried catfish at both places and don't care for either one but then I don't like catfish very much. Bottom feeder. Now Crappie or Bream I do like. Can't believe this turned into a Catfish restaurant argument.

PorkRinds

Quote from: labb on December 11, 2017, 02:51:49 pm
Next time you are at the Fish Bowl try the Alligator...Bet you can't get that at the Catfish Hole. I have tried catfish at both places and don't care for either one but then I don't like catfish very much. Bottom feeder. Now Crappie or Bream I do like. Can't believe this turned into a Catfish restaurant argument.

I don't like eating dinosaurs anyway...

010HogFan

Quote from: labb on December 11, 2017, 02:51:49 pm

Alligator is pretty good. It's like fishy steak.

hassettsportsman

Quote from: 010HogFan on December 11, 2017, 01:24:00 pm
I'm sorry, I just don't like the catfish at the Catfish Hole :( preference I guess.

It's too flat and the breading is always on edge of being burnt. I've had way better catfish in NWA than Catfish Hole. Catfish John's and Flying Fish in Rogers both have really good, thick pieces of catfish.

Garland City in SW Arkansas has two catfish restaurants that are just excellent. Westshore and Doc's are right on the river so I'd be shocked if it didn't come from there. It's a must try if you're ever in the area.
Westshore is on the river...Doc's is NOT on the river...it was formerly Hamm's.  What separates Doc's is the filets do NOT contain the grey fat portion.  Their fish does not come from the river!  The best place in SW Ark was a place called Spruell's on the Sulphur River(home to the Legend of Boggy Creek...monster).

IronHog

No thanks.

Exactly

That's like Caucasian BBQ.......May be good but never world class
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

The OTR

You guys have it all wrong. Not just one of you...all of you.

IronHog

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 11, 2017, 03:21:45 pm
You guys have it all wrong. Not just one of you...all of you.

Catfish and BBQ is rarely wrong
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

BallHog1

Carpetbagger catfish in NWA. Too far north.

hawgon

Quote from: hassettsportsman on December 11, 2017, 03:00:46 pm
Westshore is on the river...Doc's is NOT on the river...it was formerly Hamm's.  What separates Doc's is the filets do NOT contain the grey fat portion.  Their fish does not come from the river!  The best place in SW Ark was a place called Spruell's on the Sulphur River(home to the Legend of Boggy Creek...monster).

Spruells never was as good once they expanded and it was a little streaky.  You'd go out there one time and the fish would be the best you'd ever had, and the next time it would be very meh.  But the drive through the pasture and then down into the bottoms with all the Spanish Moss in the trees and the bayou all around was fun.

HawgHawk

Spruel's out of Texarkana is the best. And yes, their fish comes from Red River..

LRHawg

Quote from: AP85 on December 11, 2017, 02:25:21 pm
I question anyone that puts sugar in their ingredients of their hush puppy like the catfish hole does.

The secret ingredient at Fish Net is Red Dog beer. I never put one down long enough to see if it's got sugar on it.

HawgHawk

Quote from: hawgon on December 11, 2017, 04:07:13 pm
Spruells never was as good once they expanded and it was a little streaky.  You'd go out there one time and the fish would be the best you'd ever had, and the next time it would be very meh.  But the drive through the pasture and then down into the bottoms with all the Spanish Moss in the trees and the bayou all around was fun.

Do you remember the Hush Puppy, just south of the river on Hwy 71?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: swinemaster on December 11, 2017, 12:54:30 pm
Catfish is Catfish. Period.

But some taste better than others..................Depends on what type, where it's from and how it's prepared and cooked.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hawgon

majestic

Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08