Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 19, 2024, 02:59:22 am

Why do some of you 'hate' Bielema?

Started by ambien_sky, December 11, 2017, 09:41:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ambien_sky

I'm just curious.  I know he under performed (although I don't think this year was completely his fault)  and he had to go,  but why do some of you hate the man?   He gave us some pretty good wins,  he recruited some great running backs, defensive and offensive linemen that are in the NFL.  He hired some great staff during his time here (Randy Shannon, Chaney, Sam Pittman,  Enos)   And without a doubt has left the program in better shape than it was when he got here.  Most importantly though,  he represented the University with dignity and class,  and he still is.

Why do some of you insist on hating the man?  You call him ridiculous names,  make fun of his weight,  refuse to give him credit for helping developing running backs like Alex Collins or defensive players like Trey Flowers.  Where is the hatred for the man coming from?

Pork Twain

I don't hate him but I was also in his corner up until the first loss this year.  He seems like a great guy, and at the time of his hire was a great hire on paper, but just did not turn out to be a great fit for Arkansas and the SEC.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Kevin

don't hate him. just glad he is not our coach anymore.  just wonder what happened after year three, he did not seem like the same coach that came here
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Tusks

Have you met his record at AR, particularly in the SEC?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ambien_sky

Quote from: Kevin on December 11, 2017, 09:47:43 am
don't hate him. just glad he is not our coach anymore.  just wonder what happened after year three, he did not seem like the same coach that came here

I will agree with you.  In the first 3 years (especially the improvement from year 1-2)  I was sure he was going to get it done.  He was also bringing in some great staff and recruits.  I have no idea what happened.  The air just went out of the balloon.

BOAR_N2BWILD

I admire CBB and think he is a great guy. I clearly see why he was let go. He handled it with class and dignity and will always be a favorite of mine.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

IronHog

Quote from: ambien_sky on December 11, 2017, 09:41:22 am
He gave us some pretty good wins,  he recruited some great running backs, defensive and offensive linemen that are in the NFL.  He hired some great staff during his time here (Randy Shannon, Chaney, Sam Pittman,  Enos)   And without a doubt has left the program in better shape than it was when he got here. 

Those linemen were BPs recruits
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

hogcards

I don't think anyone "hates him". I think most people hate what he did to the program.  He's not a good coach.  That's no reason to hate someone.

It's not his fault he was given an asinine contract by an incompetent buffoon. 
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Melancholy_Pigg

What "great wins" did he give us?  Why exactly do some of you think he is such a "great guy"?

I love how it is incumbent upon those critical of Bielema to PROVE WHY they are critical of Bielema after he took us for $30+ million dollars and left us in last place - LAST PLACE - in the SEC West.  And then demanded a $15.8 million buyout. 

WHY don't YOU show me why you think he is such a GREAT GUY?

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: tusked on December 11, 2017, 09:49:19 am
Have you met his record at AR, particularly in the SEC?

That's a good reason to want to move on,  but an extremely petty reason to get personal about it.

Melancholy_Pigg

and please - don't tell me the kiddies love him, okay?  for pete's sake.

longtimeHogfan

I haven't heard anyone express an outright hatred for the guy.  In fact most I read say they liked him.  Nice guy.  Players coach.  Loved his players and tried his best.  It was that last part that just wasn't good enough for the SEC-W. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

PorkRinds

Quote from: IronHog on December 11, 2017, 09:52:23 am

Those linemen were BPs recruits

Kirkland, skipper, ragnow, etc weren't BP recruits.

hog of steele

Quote from: hogcards on December 11, 2017, 09:52:39 am
I don't think anyone "hates him".

This is just not true. Hate can be thought of in a number of ways. There is the way someone hates an ex wife. That is a visceral emotional thing. Then there is just run of the mill hate. Where you choose against them and you want their life to go poorly. Many of our fans are actively rooting for BB's life to go badly.

We had a thread yesterday with a number of posters who were hoping we move a good OL back to DL because it would make our coach look bad. Not because it was good or bad for the team. We have folks here who feel about BB the same way they felt about HN. Which is silly because BB has shown character even as fans have not.

Melancholy_Pigg

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on December 11, 2017, 09:54:13 am
That's a good reason to want to move on,  but an extremely petty reason to get personal about it.

you think it was petty of Bielema to demand his $15.8 million dollar buyout?  What about him running out on his mentor and players right before the big bowl game at his wiscy job?

Think we got 100% effort out of Bielema - think he was putting in long hours and late nights, really hitting it hard?  Or was he hitting Ben's Apartment?

I am glad we have a fit looking, energetic coach married to a woman I'm betting he didn't meet at a dice table in Vegas who already has kids. 

Stop being such easy marks for these kinds of guys, okay.  Just be glad Bielema is gone and hope to hog heaven we never have that level of con man waddle through Fayetteville again.

And that is all I am going to say about that. 

farmhawg

Quote from: hogcards on December 11, 2017, 09:52:39 am
I don't think anyone "hates him". I think most people hate what he did to the program.  He's not a good coach.  That's no reason to hate someone.

It's not his fault he was given an asinine contract by an incompetent buffoon. 
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

snoot hoggy hog

Some people just like to pop sh!+ from a distance. It's a classic case of having alligator mouth and a hummingbird ass. The kids nowadays call it "twitter fingers". They did the same to Nolan. No worries, the love from true hog fans always overcome the few that's drunk on haterade.

Beached

I'm just curious.  I know he under performed (although I don't think this year was completely his fault)  and he had to go,  but why do some of you hate the man?   He gave us some pretty good wins,  he recruited some great running backs, defensive and offensive linemen that are in the NFL.  He hired some great staff during his time here (Randy Shannon, Chaney, Sam Pittman,  Enos)   And without a doubt has left the program in better shape than it was when he got here.  Most importantly though,  he represented the University with dignity and class,  and he still is.

Why do some of you insist on hating the man?  You call him ridiculous names,  make fun of his weight,  refuse to give him credit for helping developing running backs like Alex Collins or defensive players like Trey Flowers.  Where is the hatred for the man coming from?

The bolded part is laughable.

How did he leave the program in better shape than he received it - "without a doubt"????
I'd say there's a ton of doubt.

Also - Bert is being nice largely in part because it behooves him to be nice... the alternative is that he uses his record as his calling card, which is horrible. 
Instead he'll be the warm, fuzzy likeable oaf you can rely on for a no-expectations football program with minimal drama.  This might appeal to some mid-major AD somewhere who really, really likes lacrosse and/or water polo. 

All you have to do is look at how he left Wisconsin... Bert was butthurt because Daddy Barry was calling the shots, and he felt he didn't get enough credit. 
We see how that turned out.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Kevin on December 11, 2017, 09:47:43 am
Agreed, and it wasn't just on the field. His demeanor and attitude changed. When he came here he was cocky and talked trash. He was brash, and the play of his team reflected that. They may not have won as much as he wanted, but they played hard and put a beating on the opponent. He seemed to change after the kingsbury/texas coaching thing. I cant blame him for backing off the trash talking a bit after he put his foot in his mouth, but he backed ALL the way off. He seemed timid and soft, and just like before, his teams reflected that
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Cotton

Don't hate the man, I'm sure he's a great guy. Didn't like how cocky he was when he came here, he ran his mouth a lot and got shut up pretty quickly.

Wish him and his family the best.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

IronHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 11, 2017, 09:55:10 am
Kirkland, skipper, ragnow, etc weren't BP recruits.

Kirkland underperformed
Skipper was a brawler that had a cup of coffee in the NFL
Ragnow was an SEC lineman

3 decent linemen in 5 years ain't gonna cut it.....

hogsanity

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 11, 2017, 10:01:05 am
Agreed, and it wasn't just on the field. His demeanor and attitude changed. When he came here he was cocky and talked trash. He was brash, and the play of his team reflected that. They may not have won as much as he wanted, but they played hard and put a beating on the opponent. He seemed to change after the kingsbury/texas coaching thing. I cant blame him for backing off the trash talking a bit after he put his foot in his mouth, but he backed ALL the way off. He seemed timid and soft, and just like before, his teams reflected that

I think what happened was he realized he was never going to be able to get the players here to do what he thought he was going to be able to do. I think he could see down the road and knew what was coming, more 7-5 type seasons.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hog of steele

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 11, 2017, 10:01:05 am

He did exactly what people on here demanded. Which is sad. He coached by popularity poll. When you have a cocky coach, fans have to get behind it. We jumped on him and helped the pile on.

Imagine if we had hired kiffin. That dude talks crap full time. Our fans would have tried to shut him up and if it worked, you might have had the same result.

BB wasn't able to get it done at AR. But the way our fans have treated him is a shame on us.

ambien_sky

Quote from: Melancholy_Pigg on December 11, 2017, 09:53:40 am
What "great wins" did he give us?  Why exactly do some of you think he is such a "great guy"?

I love how it is incumbent upon those critical of Bielema to PROVE WHY they are critical of Bielema after he took us for $30+ million dollars and left us in last place - LAST PLACE - in the SEC West.  And then demanded a $15.8 million buyout. 

What great wins?   How about the wins against LSU (Including a shut out)  What about the awesome, and thrilling wins against Ole Miss?  How about the beating Texas and Texas Tech and TCU?   How about the first win against Florida in how many years?   Remember,  we also had great wins against Auburn and Tennessee.  Give the man 'some'  credit.  jeeze.   

Trey1981

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on December 11, 2017, 09:54:47 am
I haven't heard anyone express an outright hatred for the guy.  In fact most I read say they liked him.  Nice guy.  Players coach.  Loved his players and tried his best.  It was that last part that just wasn't good enough for the SEC-W. 

This take right here seems to be prevalent among a few Razorback fans and it blows my mind. His inability to win does not speak to the type of person that he is. Separately, he signed a contract that included a buyout.  Disagree with the buyout # all you like, but what the hell do you expect? For him to forego a contractual agreement and give it back?

PorkRinds

Quote from: IronHog on December 11, 2017, 10:03:38 am

Kirkland underperformed
Skipper was a brawler that had a cup of coffee in the NFL
Ragnow was an SEC lineman

3 decent linemen in 5 years ain't gonna cut it.....

Kirkland and Skipper are both getting significant playing time in the NFL. Agreed, he didn't do as well with OL as he should have. It probably cost him his job. But your contention that his bed OL were BP recruits is wrong.

hog of steele

Quote from: ambien_sky on December 11, 2017, 10:09:09 am
What great wins?   How about the wins against LSU (Including a shut out)  What about the awesome, and thrilling wins against Ole Miss?  How about the beating Texas and Texas Tech and TCU?   How about the first win against Florida in how many years?   Remember,  we also had great wins against Auburn and Tennessee.  Give the man 'some'  credit.  jeeze.

First win against Florida in 100 years of football. I think we are 1-9 vs Florida. The fact that folks are still mocking his name and rewriting history is all the evidence you need that some folks really do hate BB.

Grunt

I don't know of anyone who hates him as a person. He's one of the most liked coaches.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

hog of steele

Quote from: Grunt on December 11, 2017, 10:10:58 am
I don't know of anyone who hates him as a person. He's one of the most liked coaches.

Thats why people mock his weight, his name, the kind of music he likes, his wife and various other non coaching related things. Because they respect him as a person?

casken

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on December 11, 2017, 09:52:15 am
I admire CBB and think he is a great guy. I clearly see why he was let go. He handled it with class and dignity and will always be a favorite of mine.

Goes for me too.
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

Rolonhog

He stole $30 million from you?

hogcards

Quote from: hog of steele on December 11, 2017, 09:58:11 am
We have folks here who feel about BB the same way they felt about HN. Which is silly because BB has shown character even as fans have not.

Nutt was a better coach.  It's not about being a nicer person, as you may view him.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 11, 2017, 10:05:18 am
I think what happened was he realized he was never going to be able to get the players here to do what he thought he was going to be able to do. I think he could see down the road and knew what was coming, more 7-5 type seasons.

But Bobby could?

Guy wanted to recruit Boy Scouts and the 7a west.  Not going to work

The NewEra

I don't hate him.  I supported him up until the South Carolina debacle this year. 

I hate what he did to this proud program.  He's the first coach of my lifetime that taught a Razorback team to quit.  He delivered a slew of the most embarrassing losses this program has ever witnessed in a two year period.  We were embarrassed on national t.v. on multiple occasions.

He didn't play the best players, failed to develop the talent he had, played favorites, cried too much during interviews or press conferences, made excuses and made silly play calls. 

By the time he left I couldn't stand to here "we are so close" one more time, knowing we were nowhere near close but getting farther away.  In short, the snake oil he was selling was nothing more than tainted water.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Melancholy_Pigg on December 11, 2017, 09:59:02 am
you think it was petty of Bielema to demand his $15.8 million dollar buyout?  What about him running out on his mentor and players right before the big bowl game at his wiscy job?

Think we got 100% effort out of Bielema - think he was putting in long hours and late nights, really hitting it hard?  Or was he hitting Ben's Apartment?

I am glad we have a fit looking, energetic coach married to a woman I'm betting he didn't meet at a dice table in Vegas who already has kids. 

Stop being such easy marks for these kinds of guys, okay.  Just be glad Bielema is gone and hope to hog heaven we never have that level of con man waddle through Fayetteville again.

And that is all I am going to say about that.

Oh man...seriously?

Demand his buyout? It was a horrible contract, but it was not his fault that it was written.

Running out on his mentor? The guy that runs everything and CBB saw an opportunity to spread his own wings in the SEC. Really? You're making THAT part of your argument? Let me guess...you also HATED Petrino for his leaving of the Falcons?

What was his schedule? You seem to know.

His weight is really that big of a deal to you? Good thing Andy Reid didn't come to be our coach.

And last but not least...WHERE HE MET HIS WIFE is reason to be bothered by him? Ha ha ha...ok...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

farmhawg

Quote from: hog of steele on December 11, 2017, 10:10:47 am
First win against Florida in 100 years of football. I think we are 1-9 vs Florida. The fact that folks are still mocking his name and rewriting history is all the evidence you need that some folks really do hate BB.
Worst coach we have had. Guess that doesn't fit your narrative.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

rhog1

Brett Bielema seemed like a great guy who was running a clean program with very little off field embarrassments.  Their is no reason to hate Bret the person. He was terrible here as a coach. If you want to hate on his coaching fine. But attacking the man or his wife personally is just low class.

hog of steele

Quote from: hogcards on December 11, 2017, 10:13:44 am
Nutt was a better coach.  It's not about being a nicer person, as you may view him.

As far as job performance sure. Being good person doesn't make you great as a football coach. But it should matter with regards to how we talk to and about him.

hog of steele

Quote from: farmhawg on December 11, 2017, 10:17:43 am
Worst coach we have had. Guess that doesn't fit your narrative.

What narrative.

Question: Has BB won any games at AR that could be considered good wins?
Answer: He beat FL for the first time in program history.

THat isn't a narrative. He should have been fired. But lets not pretend that he lost every game and didn't do a single good thing while here. That  is nonsense.

PolishPigPower

I think the way CBB handled the death of Ragnow's dad was classy.  I think the way CBB handled his final presser was extremely classy.  I think his interaction with players and his open nature with the local media was classy.

I'm not going to hold it against a guy who holds the UofA, or anyone else, to follow through with the contractual obligations that were signed.  That payout should be blamed on Jeff Long.

To answer the OP's question... If anything, after the way we've departed with MOTHO, JLS, and CBP... I think many of our fans cannot separate the personal part from the business part with these coaches.  For me, it was time for CBB to go, but I'm not going to blame him for taking what was owed him, and I wish him and his family the best of luck in the future.
Quote from: Cooper on November 16, 2008, 10:35:46 pm
I might try my hand at some porn.

Quote from: Breems on May 02, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
Last post in the Tavern here.  See you guys.  Have fun.

FrJoseph

I was around a good bit his first year because of my dad. I thought he was a great guy, as did my dad. I didn't really have an opinion on how well he would do, other than being hopeful that he would succeed. It seemed strange that he would blow things up like he did his first year, as there was talent in place. I remember my dad getting butcher because he kept saying that 8 wins was his absolute ceiling, because of his style.

I think there is still more hate for Petrino and Gus around the message boards that's Bret

Fr Joe
You made us for yourself oh God, and are hearts are restless until they rest in you.

DeltaBoy

Good Lard where you been the last 5 years , He lost too many games and too many with half time leads.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

southeasthog

Quote from: hog of steele on December 11, 2017, 10:32:17 am
What narrative.

THat isn't a narrative. He should have been fired. But lets not pretend that he lost every game and didn't do a single good thing while here. That  is nonsense.

Just for clarification, we beat Florida in aBowl Game when we were still in the SWC.

hog of steele

Quote from: southeasthog on December 11, 2017, 03:07:23 pm
Just for clarification, we beat Florida in aBowl Game when we were still in the SWC.

My bad. They were riding a 9 game winning streak into that game. 1982 was our other victory.

southeasthog

Quote from: hog of steele on December 11, 2017, 03:12:21 pm
My bad. They were riding a 9 game winning streak into that game. 1982 was our other victory.
Easy to forgot being that long ago.

hog of steele

Side note: Looking for info, I did discover an awesome website...

http://www.winsipedia.com/ranking

Lets you compare two teams head to head in 9 categories. Also ranks all the teams by avg of those categories. It has AR as the 27th best team in CFB.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 11, 2017, 09:45:38 am
I don't hate him but I was also in his corner up until the first loss this year.  He seems like a great guy, and at the time of his hire was a great hire on paper, but just did not turn out to be a great fit for Arkansas and the SEC.
Same here although it took me all the way until the USCe game to finally throw in the towel. I most certainly don't hate him personally, have absolutely no reason to, and I agree that according to everyone I've ever spoken to that has met/knows him he's a great guy other than the HC coaching aspect.

I totally wish he and his family all the very best in the future. I hope he's able to find another job that seems to be more suitable to his talents.

Johnny Bobo

nobody hates Bielema

DeltaBoy

He peaked year 3 and nose dived after that.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogcards

Quote from: hog of steele on December 11, 2017, 10:32:17 am
What narrative.

What "good" do you think he did?

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona