Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Campbell crazy?

Started by Grunt, November 29, 2017, 09:55:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grunt

Just got a big pay increase to around 3.5 and seems to be sticking with I.S. Aren't there better places that would offer him 5 mil?
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Dropkick

Did the buyout on his end increase or decrease?

The Boar War

Wonder what happened to the large buyout?

razorcash2

Good for him, and Iowa St.

Tired of seeing the same teams at the top every year.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: razorcash2 on November 29, 2017, 09:57:55 am
Good for him, and Iowa St.

Tired of seeing the same teams at the top every year.
Iowa State will never be "at the top".  With that buyout he may contracted himself to a lifetime at Iowa State.

onebadrubi

I would "assume" the new contract is more coach leaving on his term friend or.  I have not seen the buyout details of the extension released. 

Guy can win 6-8 games a year and be loved and with cost of living be around 3.5-4.2 mil a year.  He can build it up a few years and pick his next spot if he excels. He's shown he's too good of a coach to just fail completely. He did what he did this year with 3 QB's but does have a dark horse top RB. 

I'd be tickled if Arkansas got him.  My guess is he plans to be there 3-5 years waiting on the job he wants, which he probably already knows which job that is.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Grunt on November 29, 2017, 09:55:08 am
Just got a big pay increase to around 3.5 and seems to be sticking with I.S. Aren't there better places that would offer him 5 mil?
Perhaps he happens to like it at ISU. Heck, I don't know and you don't either. In any event he's gotten a VERY NICE pay raise and still retains the right at some point down the road to move. Don't necessarily blame him. He has to do what he thinks best for he and his family.

Besides, the expectations at Ames is very manageable and as long as he can continue to show progress I believed most Cyclone fans will be very happy to continue with him as their HC.

bob slydell

I highly doubt that there were teams lining up to offer him 5 mil per year.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Sho Nuff

I think it's refreshing.  For a guy to show some loyalty to a school and believe that he can win there long term is impressive.

19Hog78

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 29, 2017, 10:03:57 am
I would "assume" the new contract is more coach leaving on his term friend or.  I have not seen the buyout details of the extension released. 

Guy can win 6-8 games a year and be loved and with cost of living be around 3.5-4.2 mil a year.  He can build it up a few years and pick his next spot if he excels. He's shown he's too good of a coach to just fail completely. He did what he did this year with 3 QB's but does have a dark horse top RB. 

I'd be tickled if Arkansas got him.  My guess is he plans to be there 3-5 years waiting on the job he wants, which he probably already knows which job that is.

What "he" did with the 3 QB's this year can be largely attributed to having the best WR corp in the country. Lazard, Murdoch and Butler are potential NFL starters. Ryen is no slouch either and will likely get his shot in the pros. 

That being said, no doubt the guy can coach.

casken

I think I could squeak by on his salary...
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

Hogwild

A school might have offered him $5 million, but he would still owe Iowa State over $9 million.

$3.5 million for 5 years is better than $5 million a year for 5 years minus the buyout.

razorcash2

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 29, 2017, 09:59:36 am
Iowa State will never be "at the top".  With that buyout he may contracted himself to a lifetime at Iowa State.
They obviously can be competitive.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: razorcash2 on November 30, 2017, 12:05:08 pm
They obviously can be competitive.
Ok.  But is competitive the same as "at the top"?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 30, 2017, 04:40:39 pm
Ok.  But is competitive the same as "at the top"?

Could be down the road.  All of these "top" schools started out at the bottom at one point then got a coach that took them to the top. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?