Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Search Firm's advice for Arkansas' next headcoach

Started by Hogwild, October 20, 2017, 09:26:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRock

I am over retread names.  Give me a fun entertaining system coach that can outscore competition.  Someone hungry wanting to make a name for himself.  A lot of the 3 mil + are fat and lazy.

hogsanity

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 20, 2017, 01:11:17 pm
So if you think 7-8 wins is the ceiling at UA, why bother following them?  Your assertion of 7-8 wins because we can't get the players has been proven wrong on more than one occasion.  UA can easily win 9 games per season with a competent coach.  9 wins while a member of the SEC get you in the top 15 annually.  Winning and playing schemes young men like are the only things that will bring recruits,  and an open offense and 9 wins will do the trick.  Will we bring in a ton of 5* recruits?  Nope, but 9-3 will bring a couple.  If BB is gone, this team will go 9-3 next season and that will be the start of things to come!

I have been very clear, 7-8 on average. This program has always had a (- win season every 7 or 8 years and 10+ on occasion.

How'd recruiting rank after our last 10 and 11 season? I'll tell you it was the same or slightly worse than usual. How much stock you put in recruiting rankings is up to you. My opinion is the only way to really know how good a class was is to see what they are doing as jrs and srs, but all we really have to go on is what they were ranked when signed.

As far as scheme bringing in players, there are a ton of schools running the stuff most of you seem to want, spread, read option type stuff, so we won't even have anything unique to sell to players.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: BJJHog on October 20, 2017, 11:18:01 am
Just curious, do you have any ties to the UA athletic department (whether former assistant, player) or any ties to the university as a graduate or prof.?  Trying to get a read on opinions and thought leadership....don't have to answer if you prefer not to... :)

Nope, no ties. My brother worked there about 12 years ago and left once he got his doctorate.

My opinions are just that, MY opinions. All I have ever asked here is for a definition of what is " winning " and they can not even come up with one. To me, winning is winning titles, in this case just a secw div title would be winning something. Winning 9 games is really not much better than 7 or 8. All it gets is a slightly better bowl trip.

The prevalent opinion, even with 25 years of sec records to look at, is that suddenly this program should be better. Better than this current season? Sure. Better than 7 or 8 wins most years, WHY? What is going on in today's college football that says this program, with a limited recruiting base and in the same division as Bama, Aub, A&M and LSU, SHOULD be anything other than what 7 or 8 other sec schools are. A team that on any Sat can beat just about anyone, but on any given Sat are capable of laying a huge egg and losing to just about anyone. Outside of the top 10 that is just about every other p5 team.

And the thought that a guy with 1.5 season HC experience is going to come here and be a perennial 9+ win team is not grounded in any reality at all. Could it happen, sure, but to say it is going to happen? Nothing in what is going on says that, absolutely nothing.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bkjbearcat

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 20, 2017, 12:21:06 pm
SAME

Holgorsen would be interesting. But I don't think he can recruit well enough for Arkansas to be competitive. His last class at WV were all 3's. 
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

hogsanity

Quote from: bkjbearcat on October 20, 2017, 01:35:59 pm
Holgorsen would be interesting. But I don't think he can recruit well enough for Arkansas to be competitive. His last class at WV were all 3's. 

So he's be in the same boat as whoever the coach is here.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: hogsanity on October 20, 2017, 01:37:51 pm
So he's be in the same boat as whoever the coach is here.

No they were all 3's. Not even one 4.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

FraggleHog

I'd take all 3, but methinks CBB will remain our HC to start the 2018 campaign. Whoever is the coach, I'll support him and our beloved Razorbacks.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

hogsanity

Quote from: WoooPigNation on October 20, 2017, 11:10:03 am

I will let you have the ENTIRE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT and i will take the football team.  That's the only one that matters. 

Oh man, wait til FCJ sees this, you said basketball does not matter.

If Long was CEO of a company and it was doing as well as the UofA athletic department, he'd get a raise and a big stock bonus.

EastArkHog 47

Best thing about this search scenario is Charlie Strong not being mentioned.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 20, 2017, 01:47:00 pm

If Long was CEO of a company and it was doing as well as the UofA athletic department, he'd get a raise and a big stock bonus.

That's true because then he wouldn't have to worry about hiring winning head coaches.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogdomer on October 20, 2017, 10:53:58 am
Great coaches: Urban, Saban, Gary Patterson and Bill Snyder.  First two are obvious.  Latter two have performed miracles given their respective schools.

Bill Snyder just might be the best coach since the Bear. Considering what KSU was before him and without him it's a miracle what he has done there.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: RedRock on October 20, 2017, 01:18:42 pm
I am over retread names.  Give me a fun entertaining system coach that can outscore competition.  Someone hungry wanting to make a name for himself.  A lot of the 3 mil + are fat and lazy.

You can only outscore them if your defense stops them at least once more than theirs stops you.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Kevin on October 20, 2017, 11:54:23 am
with all the associate & assistant AD's on staff, 40 million guaranteed from the sec, it would take a real moron to be bad at that part of the job.

long's hiring's have been average at best. he has had to fire a lot of the coaches he has hired.

I believe he would be a great ad at a patriot league program, where academics are first & foremost. the problem is they don't pay as well.

Most AD's that have been at one place very long usually HAVE had to do that.

hogsanity

Quote from: RedRock on October 20, 2017, 01:18:42 pm

If your defense shuts someone out you can outscore them with a safety.

I still believe, deep down, many of you know this is a 7-8 win a year program and therefore you'd rather go 7-5 scoring 50 a game than 7-5 scoring 20 a game. At least you admitted that you want something entertaining. Personally, I do not find 40 bubble screens/swing passes a game entertaining.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 20, 2017, 12:07:33 pm
You guys realize that this is not a search firm right? It's Dan Wolken's opinion, nothing more.

Couldn't be any worse than the last search firm used to hire the coach.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: East Clintwood on October 20, 2017, 01:03:33 pm

Search firms charge a very hefty fee.  This guy spews his drivel for free.

Actually he gets paid to spew his drivel.

Inhogswetrust

October 20, 2017, 02:33:18 pm #66 Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 08:47:40 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: WoooPigNation on October 20, 2017, 01:44:07 pm
Hold on, people are worried that Holgerson cannot recruit well enough for Arkansas to be competitive? Has anyone ever been to Morgantown? It's like living in a port-a-potty, that is in a landfill.  It is the only state that has actually had a decrease in population since WWII.  If you can convince a kid to come to Morgantown, WV, then getting someone to Fayetteville will be a danged cake walk.  West Va has been better then us ever since Long let go of Petrino.  Holgerson would be a tremendous hire.

Do you realize exactly where in West Virginia Morgantown is located? It's nearly as close to more of Pennsylvania than the rest of the state of West Virginia. It's practically a suburb of Pittsburg. You can live in Morgantown and work in Pittsburg with a long commute.

jcbville

Quote from: EastArkHog 47 on October 20, 2017, 01:48:27 pm
Best thing about this search scenario is Charlie Strong not being mentioned.

I can help put your mind at ease about that right now and have been debating sharing this tidbit here every time his name is mentioned. I dont find it prudent to share too much actual information here. However, I had the pleasure of eating lunch with Charlie and his family during the CBP fall out, of all times, and before JL was named interim. So of course the conversation went to him being a candidate. He had no real interest in Arkansas at all. Then it quickly became apparent that his wife's thoughts on the subject were "not no but hell no." She couldn't have made her disdain for the idea more apparent if she tried.

Charlie isnt coming to coach at Arkansas

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: hassettsportsman on October 20, 2017, 10:22:14 am
Norvell is a dynastic building coach....it can't be any worse than the current builder!

At first I thought you'd just blended dynasty and nasty.  Had to google 'dynastic'.....well done....
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

The_Iceman

Mike Norvell or Chad Morris would be good choices. I really wouldn't be too upset if either of them just kept Paul Rhodes as DC. Rhodes is solid and I think could really build something if he got more years to recruit. Just look at the improvement in the secondary on the field and in recruiting.

hogfansince79

Quote from: hogsanity on October 20, 2017, 01:35:24 pm
Nope, no ties. My brother worked there about 12 years ago and left once he got his doctorate.

My opinions are just that, MY opinions. All I have ever asked here is for a definition of what is " winning " and they can not even come up with one. To me, winning is winning titles, in this case just a secw div title would be winning something. Winning 9 games is really not much better than 7 or 8. All it gets is a slightly better bowl trip.

The prevalent opinion, even with 25 years of sec records to look at, is that suddenly this program should be better. Better than this current season? Sure. Better than 7 or 8 wins most years, WHY? What is going on in today's college football that says this program, with a limited recruiting base and in the same division as Bama, Aub, A&M and LSU, SHOULD be anything other than what 7 or 8 other sec schools are. A team that on any Sat can beat just about anyone, but on any given Sat are capable of laying a huge egg and losing to just about anyone. Outside of the top 10 that is just about every other p5 team.

And the thought that a guy with 1.5 season HC experience is going to come here and be a perennial 9+ win team is not grounded in any reality at all. Could it happen, sure, but to say it is going to happen? Nothing in what is going on says that, absolutely nothing.

I guess you would have been against hiring Frank Broyles ...  you know, with his 1 year head coaching experience.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

tophawg19

Quote from: hogsanity on October 20, 2017, 11:02:46 am
Oh look another brand new poster who just so happens to, like all the "new" posters here, has to interject about firing Long in every thread.

So I will ask you, although I ma sure I have asked you before under one of your other screen names, what has Long done as AD that is so bad to warrant being fired? Keeping in mind his job is the make sure the ENTIRE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT is well funded, in line with the NCAA, and is a good representation for the school. Just because the football team is not currently winning is not an indication the ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT is not doing well as a whole. Just because some of you think all the other athletes and teams are the UofA are worthless because they dont play fuhbawl, and your poor self esteem cant be stroked by what the football team does, is not an indication the AD is doing a bad job, and especially not worthy of being fired.
ok I realize in your own mind , you think your little comments were cute [ lord i hope not] and in your self important arrogance [ not that anyone cares what you think] you deserve an answer so here is a few . 1 Football is at one of the lowest points in our modern history.  2 Jimmy Dykes , 3 Jimmy dykes . 4 Basket ball team enters the season outside the top 40 and projected as 6th in the SEC after 6 years . 5 Pepsi contract . 6 raising ticket prices despite falling attendance . I'm sure there is more but that is plenty and I just focused on the major sports . You know, the ones that pays the bills for everything
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on October 20, 2017, 01:47:00 pm

Be glad your not the owner of a big company depending on your CEO to protect your fortune because destroying your # 1 product will eventually lead to disaster.  Course for all we know it could be in the works for Long to develop a ne #1 product, soccer maybe.

Kevin

if I was a president of a university & my ad came to me to hire a search firm, I would fire them right there. that is their job.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsanity

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 20, 2017, 03:25:24 pm
Be glad your not the owner of a big company depending on your CEO to protect your fortune because destroying your # 1 product will eventually lead to disaster.  Course for all we know it could be in the works for Long to develop a ne #1 product, soccer maybe.

If he were destroying it, but he is not. Next year the season tickets will sell well again ( No idea why anyone would buy season tickets quite honestly ) because of a dozen reasons.  The program has had down years and down stretches of years before and people kept buying tickets and donating $.

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 20, 2017, 03:23:24 pm
4 Basket ball team enters the season outside the top 40 and projected as 6th in the SEC after 6 years .

Funny you mention basketball because even with only 2 ncaat appearances in 6 seasons, Long is lauded for the patience he has shown with Anderson.

And no, I do not think what I say here amounts to anything, just like what anyone else here says.

tophawg19

Quote from: hogsanity on October 20, 2017, 02:24:28 pm
If your defense shuts someone out you can outscore them with a safety.

I still believe, deep down, many of you know this is a 7-8 win a year program and therefore you'd rather go 7-5 scoring 50 a game than 7-5 scoring 20 a game. At least you admitted that you want something entertaining. Personally, I do not find 40 bubble screens/swing passes a game entertaining.
with a good hire recruits will come for a coach [ in spite of your expert opinion]. Arkansas can have the same type success as Clemson and other schools who have made great hires . CBP had us moving in that level ,but he had to have too much control over assistants and couldn't hire and keep the best ones. But he did in fact show what the Hogs are capable of under good coaching
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 20, 2017, 03:48:55 pm
with a good hire recruits will come for a coach [ in spite of your expert opinion]. Arkansas can have the same type success as Clemson and other schools who have made great hires . CBP had us moving in that level ,but he had to have too much control over assistants and couldn't hire and keep the best ones. But he did in fact show what the Hogs are capable of under good coaching

We won't recruit on the level of Clemson no matter the coach.  Since 2005, Clemson has usually had a top 15 class.  But we should be able to successfully recruit to what our coach wants to do.  The program is capable of doing more than Nutt or Petrino did for a season or two.  Could have won the SEC in 1998, 2006 and 2010.  This is the ceiling.  Some of our fans have an issue distinguishing between the ceiling, a great season or two, and the norm.  We won't stay at that level in football for an extended time.  Only a few programs can. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

GoHogs1091

Don't be surprised if the following occurs.

Tennessee   Mike Norvell
Ole Miss   Lane Kiffin or Les Miles
Arkansas   Bret Bielema (supposedly Long guaranteed to Bielema that he will get 6 seasons)

If Long decides to not follow that supposed guarantee to Bielema then;

Arkansas   Skip Holtz or Jim Grobe or Paul Rhoads

PorkRinds

That was nice of them. Now we don't even have to hire them. They did all the work for us and published it for free.

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: tusked on October 20, 2017, 11:00:26 am
Capturing lighting in a bottle is not easy, but you have to TRY.
I don't know...Thomas Edison did pretty well with it.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: hogsanity on October 20, 2017, 10:17:08 am
Who was the last "great coach " to go directly from his 1st hc job at a non p5 school to the p5 school where he was great? Urban had 2 non p5 hc gigs ( Utah was not in the Pac12 when he was there IIRC ). Saban went from non p5 to MSU to LSU.

Norvell is fine, he will provide the passing temp fix you add/adhd types need to keep your interest. HE will do about as good here as anyone else on averge, about 7 or 8 wins a year, but he is not the next Saban, at least mot here, cause he won't have the players.
You don't know that he won't be the next big thing anymore than I know that he will.  You're just blowing nonsense outta your keister as usual.  Someone will be the next big thing, the next Saban, so get out of the way with your negative nimrod act.

TNRazorbacker

All the Norvell love seems a bit premature in my opinion. He's in his second year on the heels of a coach that truly did an amazing job at Memphis. Its not a stretch to assume some of his success could be afterglow. I'd feel more confident if he had a bit more history.

NashvilleHog

I see where people are down on Norvell for not enough experience, but are all over Venables.... who has ZERO HC experience.  If you want to see Norvell's impact, look at Arizona State since he left.  He actually makes 4th quarter adjustments as a coach.  He would be great at Arkansas
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

Arkansas Fan

PorkSoda

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on October 20, 2017, 07:31:50 pm
All the Norvell love seems a bit premature in my opinion. He's in his second year on the heels of a coach that truly did an amazing job at Memphis. Its not a stretch to assume some of his success could be afterglow. I'd feel more confident if he had a bit more history.
how many future stars do we have to pass up because they still need to prove themselves? 

at what point do you want a coach to make a name for themselves AT arkansas?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Tarheelhawg

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on October 20, 2017, 01:16:19 pm
Norvell has might vote after last night's game with Houston. Memphis is down 17-0 at the half and scores 42 points in the second half to pull out a 42-38 win. When's the last time that has happen at Arkansas.
Half time adjustments? What? No PBJ ?   I like this Norvell guy.

TX HOG

I'd say a very very small % like Matt Campbell. I have no idea why. He's a winner and he's got Iowa St at #25 in recruiting so far this year

I like Norvell but he's less accomplished and sitting at like #75 in recruiting

Tarheelhawg

Matt Campbell,  heck all of them sound so much better than what is currently happening. 

TX HOG

Quote from: Tarheelhawg on October 20, 2017, 08:09:42 pm
Matt Campbell,  heck all of them sound so much better than what is currently happening. 

I agree but Norvell is like big time around here.  I totally get it he's high reward

GoHogs1091

Quote from: NashvilleHog on October 20, 2017, 07:40:16 pm
I see where people are down on Norvell for not enough experience, but are all over Venables.... who has ZERO HC experience.  If you want to see Norvell's impact, look at Arizona State since he left.  He actually makes 4th quarter adjustments as a coach.  He would be great at Arkansas

Venables was the Associate Head Coach for some of the years he was at OU.  He does have some head coaching experience thru being the Associate Head Coach at OU

No one else who is being considered can match the following that Venables has accomplished.

Venables has coached in 6 National Championship games (may be only 5 if the NC game that Southern Cal had to vacate is no longer considered as a NC game).

Venables has earned 2 National Championship rings.

In Venables' 21 years as a full-time Coach his teams have 21 winning seasons, and have won 10+ games 17 times.

ChicoHog

Quote from: ipigsooie on October 20, 2017, 10:24:43 am
What would you consider a "great coach?" I can name some really good ones but in all honesty, imo there are only a few great coaches out there. Id consider urban, dabo and saban the only ones that would be considered great. Id settle for a really good coach.
I've never been convinced that Meyer and Swinney especially are great coaches.  They are great recuiters and hire great assistant coaches.  Neither one is great at game strategy, play calling, halftime adjustments, etc., in my opinion.  Saban is all of the above and the only one who is a great recruiter and a great coach.  Players are 75% of the game and strategy is around 25% I think. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 20, 2017, 10:41:31 am
you got him. The answer is Chris Peterson.
Disagree.  I think  he is pretty good.  I bet UW will be a competitive team in the hunt for Pac 12 north and Pac 12 conference championships but I don't see them getting much better on the national scene.  Peterson is not a relentless recruiter.  The advantage he does have is none of the other teams in the Pac 12 recruit really well either on a year to year basis except USC.  Willie Taggart at Oregon may change that as he is a great recruiter. 

ipigsooie

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 20, 2017, 09:58:57 pm
Disagree.  I think  he is pretty good.  I bet UW will be a competitive team in the hunt for Pac 12 north and Pac 12 conference championships but I don't see them getting much better on the national scene.  Peterson is not a relentless recruiter.  The advantage he does have is none of the other teams in the Pac 12 recruit really well either on a year to year basis except USC.  Willie Taggart at Oregon may change that as he is a great recruiter.

He is the only 2 time winner of the Bear Bryant Coach of the Year award. He has won 2 BCS Bowls as a non bcs school and played in  the bcs final four last year at Washington. He may not be great just yet but he is well on his way.

HawgTide

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on October 20, 2017, 07:31:50 pm

You're not wrong for feeling that way but just remember Tom Herman was only at Houston for 2 years too. Maybe he won't be a great coach but sometimes guys just have the "it" factor and you have to hire them when you can.. Whoever we get is going to have some holes in his resume. I would rather take a shot at greatness instead of keeping what we've got

HardCore

Quote from: Hogwild on October 20, 2017, 09:34:25 am
They have him linked to Ole Miss

Ole Miss is very likely going to get Major Bitch slapped by the NCAA.  If he has a chance at both schools....I would think U of A would certainly be the more attractive draw.  Would suck to start out your SEC tenure on major Probation.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Paul

Quote from: hogsanity on October 20, 2017, 01:35:24 pm

how much experience did JFB have before coming here?  My bad. Didn't read the previous reply saying same thing. Norvell has done a great job starting freshmen on defense due to injuries

Piggfoot

Who has this so called "search company" placed? I call BS on this. These guys are no more credible than Hogville yahoos.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

buldozer

Virtually everyone agrees we have to have a change, so lets take the first one of those guys who say yes. I sure don't want another year with CBB at the helm....

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: WoooPigNation on October 20, 2017, 11:10:03 am

I will let you have the ENTIRE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT and i will take the football team.  That's the only one that matters.  They fund every other sport (excluding men's basketball which does a little better than break even). So yeah, you are right, there are a lot of other departments other than football that the AD has to *pass off* to other people in the athletic department.  But when the football team wins, it means more money to other sports programs. When the football team wins, it means more applicants to the U of A, which means higher revenues and many other benefits.  Football directly and indirectly has a major impact on  other sports and the university as a whole.  So I will give you the ENTIRE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT and I will take the football team, and let me know how that works out for you.  The AD has to be like a CEO.  Long couldn't run a laundromat.

I think people are about as ill informed about this as they are about understanding guns.  I can't count the number of times I've heard, "We're doing this $100M bowl-in stadium project, but have empty seats at every game.  That's stupid, we don't need that when we can't fill what we have."   ::)  What they fail to realize is that EVERY one of the luxury boxes/suites are ALREADY sold.  EVERY LAST ONE AT BIG DOLLAR AMOUNTS.  That is one of Long's jobs...find ways to maximize revenue, and he's done amazingly well with that DESPITE the football program not meeting expectations in terms of wins and losses.  Think about that for a second...  If you're UA brass focusing on money and the health of the overall athletic dept., wouldn't that serve as a pretty good feather in his cap?     

I get it...a segment of fans think he screwed up by firing BP, hiring JLS, and hiring CBB.  Well, outsiders think BP deserved to be fired, hiring JLS for continuity seemed logical with his past coaching experience (he didn't suck at Michigan State, and we fielded arguably the worst defense in Razorback history in 2012), and hiring CBB was as good as Arkansas was going to get...better than most thought we would get in fact. 

So while fans don't see enough wins, and think that equates to "Fire Jeff Long," my guess is his seat is probably still pretty chilly.  It's going to be ice cold if we do well in basketball this season after a pretty good year ending showing, and baseball continues to be strong.  When you add in track and the other sports, you're left with how he's perceived to be doing in football, and outside of fans who are clamoring for wins and don't care if we have to beg borrow or steal to get them, we're not viewed as a powerhouse program that should be winning 10 games every year.  Can he win 6 perennially and win a low tier bowl and keep his job?  No, but I'm betting on them giving him 2018 just to make sure he's not going to make it here.  I don't think he will, but I don't think Jeff Long is going anywhere unless he takes another opportunity on his own accord. 

You read Hogville, and you feel this sentiment that Jeff Long went into the BOT and insisted on a $15M buyout, and that he did that because he's big buddies with Bret Bielema and "Bret's his integrity boy."  It's as if some people have never been in business, and have no idea how decisions are made.  I GUARANTEE you Jeff Long is smart enough to go in with at least 3-5 examples of what the going rate was for contract buyouts at similar schools, expressed what he thought was acceptable, and the BOT then had to mull it over and approve it.  Do people not think Jeff Long is going to use the CYA method on something like that?  Of course he is...and that's probably as big of a reason why the perception by fans is as far off base as it is, because they don't realize that he's not going to make decisions that big without due diligence.  He's not the type to just cowboy up to a podium in a neck brace with zero thought about the consequences.  He's shrewd and calculated.  And for those like Guv who still insist that Jeff Long fired CBP, I will similarly guarantee you that at a minimum, he had approval from the BOT, and it's highly possible that the BOT instructed him to fire him regardless of what Jeff Long's preferences might have been.  CYA...self preservation...it's what guys in those positions do.         
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.