Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No More Brothers.....Dick then Allen - NO MORE

Started by twistitup, October 09, 2017, 07:05:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

I say we need to put a Athletic Dept rule in place that we CANNOT recruit siblings.....it handcuffs us in a way, in another way I don't think you can the most out of siblings when they are on the same team.

Austin may have been wonderful under anohter coach on another team - but it tough to come in behind big brother

Nathan Dick did not ever make it to the end - but he did very well at UCA - but it's tough to come in behind Casey - I think he made a good decision to transfer.

Family is tough....family playing on the same team is even more so - let's not recruit brothers in the future - especially brother with family in the program.

It's just not good - for the family or program
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

rzrbk4life

I may be mistaken but isn't RWIII brother a top rated safety that we're after? I'm pretty sure I would like to have him
Let's call those hogs!!!!

SultanofSwine

So we should not recruit RW III's little brother?

ricepig

SoCal Hog

So if Jonathan Williams, Alex Collins, Frank Ragnow, etc, etc. had had younger brothers with as much talent or more, are you saying we should not recruit those players?
Most of our friends agree that I married better than my wife did.

Roaringboar

Quote from: twistitup on October 09, 2017, 07:05:07 pm
I say we need to put a Athletic Dept rule in place that we CANNOT recruit siblings.....it handcuffs us in a way, in another way I don't think you can the most out of siblings when they are on the same team.

Austin may have been wonderful under anohter coach on another team - but it tough to come in behind big brother

Nathan Dick did not ever make it to the end - but he did very well at UCA - but it's tough to come in behind Casey - I think he made a good decision to transfer.

Family is tough....family playing on the same team is even more so - let's not recruit brothers in the future - especially brother with family in the program.

I don't agree about recruiting brothers and what not, but I think if you work for the univeristy your family should be off limits......I don't care how touted your kid is, they are going to get favoritism every time.......We lost Ricky Towns and Rafe Peavey, two very good QB's, and this season are wasting a year of Ty Storey and Cole Kelley's time because we wanted to stick with the Allen brother's who's daddy works for the U of A......I mean, I don't have anything personal against them, but I think they were shown favoritism because of their family connecion, and I think it's cost us some good talent, I mean, that was one of the times when I was a Bielemer that I was ready to jump the ship when we lost Towns.....that kid was GOOD, and we squandered his talent, and his scholarship because I don't think he ever had a chance to play for us.....I think Bert just wanted to impress the fanbase, and it worked for the most part........
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

twistitup

On the same roster numb nuts - on the same team.....RWIII is no longer, and any other player gone to the NFL - GREAT ....not on the same team

Dillar Dog

Quote from: twistitup on October 09, 2017, 07:13:12 pm
On the same roster numb nuts - on the same team.....RWIII is no longer, and any other player gone to the NFL - GREAT ....not on the same team

So you wouldn't take those guys if their brothers were still playing?

Just want to be clear.

twistitup

Quote from: Dillar Dog on October 09, 2017, 07:50:42 pm
So you wouldn't take those guys if their brothers were still playing?

Just want to be clear.

They aren't still playing.....

but if the brothers play the same position it should be out of the question

PonderinHog

I might make an exception for a couple of  6'5", 245 lb. linebacker twins.

twistitup

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 09, 2017, 08:21:50 pm
I might make an exception for a couple of  6'5", 245 lb. linebacker twins.

I'm down w that....except when they fistfight in the locker room - and break one another's face - then we are out 2 LB's

but I'll take the risk

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

twistitup

Vantage 8 dude

What the...... ??? ??? ??? ??? You mean you're blaming much-if not all-if the program's failure on the fact that we've had several sets of brothers playing? I mean who knew the solution to our struggles was so simple and right in front all along.

Jackrabbit Hog

While it doesn't add much to the scholarly discussion of this thread, it should be said that Dick Allen was a helluva hitter.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 11, 2017, 02:11:02 pm
While it doesn't add much to the scholarly discussion of this thread, it should be said that Dick Allen was a helluva hitter.
Yes he was. In fact if I recall correctly way "back in the day" didn't he have a stent with the Travellers when they were a Philly farm team?

twistitup

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 11, 2017, 01:43:50 pm
What the...... ??? ??? ??? ??? You mean you're blaming much-if not all-if the program's failure on the fact that we've had several sets of brothers playing? I mean who knew the solution to our struggles was so simple and right in front all along.

I think there were better options available than getting caught up brothers competing for the same position - it's not a good situation. We want real competition - not a bunch of family problems

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: twistitup on October 11, 2017, 03:29:15 pm
I think there were better options available than getting caught up brothers competing for the same position - it's not a good situation. We want real competition - not a bunch of family problems
Still haven't fully answered the questions: so you're laying most, if not all, the basic blame of our lack of success at the foot of brothers? Interesting that all the number of problems, issues the Hog's have faced-OL, defensive failures, special teams goofs, lack of coaching adjustments and development-can't ALL be blamed on these two sets of brothers. That is unless they've played all the positions and doing the position coaching and game planning/adjustments as well. Did I miss something ???

twistitup

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 11, 2017, 03:37:19 pm
Still haven't fully answered the questions: so you're laying most, if not all, the basic blame of our lack of success at the foot of brothers? Interesting that all the number of problems, issues the Hog's have faced-OL, defensive failures, special teams goofs, lack of coaching adjustments and development-can't ALL be blamed on these two sets of brothers. That is unless they've played all the positions and doing the position coaching and game planning/adjustments as well. Did I miss something ???

Where did I say I'm laying all the blame on the sets of brothers that have played for us?  I didn't.....maybe our recruiters - but not the kids.

I think we've wasted valuable rebuilding time with the Dick and Allen brothers - I would have been in favor of Casey and Brandon - but to go get the  younger sibling ....it was just lazy / easy recruiting...family members competing for the same position doesn't get the most out of either one. Just my opinion. You want two guys to compete and improve in the game of football without family b.s. involved

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on October 11, 2017, 03:44:11 pm
Where did I say I'm laying all the blame on the sets of brothers that have played for us?  I didn't.....maybe our recruiters - but not the kids.

I think we've wasted valuable rebuilding time with the Dick and Allen brothers - I would have been in favor of Casey and Brandon - but to go get the  younger sibling ....it was just lazy / easy recruiting...family members competing for the same position doesn't get the most out of either one. Just my opinion. You want two guys to compete and improve in the game of football without family b.s. involved

I'm guessing you don't have a sibling close to your age?

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on October 11, 2017, 03:47:59 pm
I'm guessing you don't have a sibling close to your age?

I do...wouldn't want to be competing for the same position as him. We played diff positions coming up and played on the same teams for a couple years. Competing for the same position would have been too *** strange. Not healthy

Just my opinion -

Neither younger brother worked out - I don't know why - but it's the truth. Nathan got a fresh start at UCA and set it on fire; bet he wishes he would have gone elsewhere - bet AA feels the SAME WAY.

PorkRinds

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: twistitup on October 11, 2017, 03:44:11 pm

Well again I circle back to the idea that it's not a good idea to have sign brothers :-X ??? I mean whether they play qb or not, your argument/reasoning still holds absolutely zero, none, nada, zip, no water. And of course you automatically assign this same "reasoning" to the fact we should never do so again, and obviously I'm assuming at any position. Now that truly is brilliant :puke:

PorkRinds

Two five star brother QB's Love Arkansas md want to play here.  Three years apart in age. We'd be flipping morons to not take both. We'd be morons not to take both allen brothers. A pair of state champion 4* QB's from our back yard and you wanna tell the second one to kick rocks?

twistitup

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 11, 2017, 04:04:02 pm
Well again I circle back to the idea that it's not a good idea to have sign brothers :-X ??? I mean whether they play qb or not, your argument/reasoning still holds absolutely zero, none, nada, zip, no water. And of course you automatically assign this same "reasoning" to the fact we should never do so again, and obviously I'm assuming at any position. Now that truly is brilliant :puke:

Past predicts future - it hasn't worked (twice)....why do it again?

Signing brothers that play the same position to compete against each other hasn't been a good thing for the Razorbacks.

Or have I missed something?

Did Nathan D do well here?

Has Austin excelled?

You're right, let's get another pair - hard to find but I found 'em

http://www.elpasotimes.com/videos/sports/high-school/football/2017/09/26/brothers-talk-both-playing-qb/106028162/

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: twistitup on October 11, 2017, 04:08:12 pm

Signing brothers that play the same position to compete against each other hasn't been a good thing for the Razorbacks.

Has Austin excelled?
So just because it happened twice you're going to call that your "fool proof, the universe is all like this" reasoning. And while we're at it: Given what he had to work with I feel ole Brandon did a pretty credible job, especially his last two years. And despite his current struggles Austin's issues honestly can't be blamed for all our ills. You (or anyone else) try standing behind that OL and not come away shell shocked.

twistitup

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 11, 2017, 04:13:11 pm
So just because it happened twice you're going to call that your "fool proof, the universe is all like this" reasoning. And while we're at it: Given what he had to work with I feel ole Brandon did a pretty credible job, especially his last two years. And despite his current struggles Austin's issues honestly can't be blamed for all our ills. You (or anyone else) try standing behind that OL and not come away shell shocked.

How many damn brothers are out there competing for the same position? Not many....don't get too worked up in the Trash Can

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: twistitup on October 11, 2017, 04:08:12 pm

Has Austin excelled?

You're right, let's get another pair - hard to find but I found 'em

http://www.elpasotimes.com/videos/sports/high-school/football/2017/09/26/brothers-talk-both-playing-qb/106028162/
One last thing: let's say ole Nick had had a second though season down at 'Bama and they had decided to fire him because it happened twice in a row. Think they would have rethought their snap decision had they know what would eventually about? Point being that just because it MIGHT happen twice means nothing in the future. And I can promise you that had we passed on the Allen brothers more than a few Hogs fans along with HV posters would have let us all hear about it.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: twistitup on October 11, 2017, 04:14:40 pm
How many damn brothers are out there competing for the same position? Not many....don't get too worked up in the Trash Can
Sorry that my challenging your OP and "reasoning" has YOU worked up. Merely "calling your hand" on the matter. And after all I always thought that was the ultimate purpose of a discussion board. So me being worked up....not in the least.

One other thing: perhaps, as you mentioned, the fact this whole topic was relegated to "Trash" should say all that needs be said about the "value" assigned to this subject by one or more mods. HUMMM.......

twistitup

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 11, 2017, 04:17:11 pm
Point being that just because it MIGHT happen twice means nothing in the future.

Point being.... the past predicts the future, like I said before -

It's not healthy for brothers to compete for the same position- it doesn't appear to work....

Just my opinion. Last I checked, it's ok for me to have that.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: twistitup on October 11, 2017, 04:23:10 pm

It's not healthy for brothers to compete for the same position- it doesn't appear to work....

Never have I said you're not entitled to your opinion, but see how that works-others have the same privilege. And again, merely because it MAY have happened twice still guarantees NOTHING. So round and round we go I suppose.

goodguytex

Quote from: twistitup on October 11, 2017, 04:23:10 pm

So those 2 brothers being on the same team made Bobby crash his Harley? Made John L an incompetent bozo? Made our defense lousy? Made our Oline not block and do their jobs right? Made our special teams special Ed? Who knew those 2 brothers had that much power??

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: goodguytex on October 11, 2017, 06:20:35 pm
So those 2 brothers being on the same team made Bobby crash his Harley? Made John L an incompetent bozo? Made our defense lousy? Made our Oline not block and do their jobs right? Made our special teams special Ed? Who knew those 2 brothers had that much power??
But, but....don't try to talk reason into the OP's head. His mind's made up and it damn well has to be that way. No more brother acts.....you have been warned!

twistitup

No More Brothers

No More Merlot

No More Pepsi

No More CBB

No More lil ol Arkie syndrome

No more Uncommon players (or brothers) - give me a load of common 4-5* kids and lets roll

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: twistitup on October 12, 2017, 07:35:03 am
No More Brothers

No More Merlot

No More Pepsi

No More CBB

No More lil ol Arkie syndrome

No more Uncommon players (or brothers) - give me a load of common 4-5* kids and lets roll
No more "No More" threads ;) See how that works ???

hoggusamoungus

He left for UCA due to another transfer.  I think his name was Mallett or something like that.

twistitup

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on October 12, 2017, 08:17:52 am
He left for UCA due to another transfer.  I think his name was Mallett or something like that.

Exactly - thanks for helping prove my point

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: twistitup on October 12, 2017, 08:31:46 am
Exactly - thanks for helping prove my point
Not really. I think we're aware of his fate. Still doesn't necessarily prove the fact that he and his brother were here (along with Allens) your original post is valid. Weak, weak "cause, effect" presentation. Sorry......

MTBrookHog

The problem is not recruiting brothers. The problem is building these brothers up to be the second coming of the Manning brothers like the Allens were. Remember, we had to keep Daddy Allen on staff just to make sure we got them.

twistitup

Has it ever worked...on any college team? Link please

Same position, same team, both successful careers

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: twistitup on October 12, 2017, 01:02:56 pm
Has it ever worked...on any college team? Link please

Same position, same team, both successful careers

Selmon at OU, Pouncy at FL, McCourty at Rutgers?  No link, just memory.  I think all of them play(ed) in the NFL.

Vantage 8 dude

October 12, 2017, 02:45:23 pm #41 Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 05:54:14 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: hoggusamoungus on October 12, 2017, 02:41:52 pm
Selmon at OU, Pouncy at FL, McCourty at Rutgers?  No link, just memory.  I think all of them play(ed) in the NFL.
Selmon's don't count 'cause there were THREE of them playing at the same time. But there you go anyway: messing up the "logic" of such a well thought out, intellectual rant.

And obviously we're not even including the Manning brothers, the Watts at Wisconsin, and the two Morgans and the Henry brothers who have/are playing for the Hogs.

goodguytex

Quote from: MTBrookHog on October 12, 2017, 11:07:28 am
The problem is not recruiting brothers. The problem is building these brothers up to be the second coming of the Manning brothers like the Allens were. Remember, we had to keep Daddy Allen on staff just to make sure we got them.
No... The problem is all the other areas of the team that are lacking. That wasn't Brandon Allen fault when he was on the team. Not Austin's fault now. They didn't recruit, they didn't coach. And they didn't play other positions.

Austin's numbers are off this year because he's running for his life again thanks to our Oline, and our receivers are just about all completely new. If the Oline we're what they should be, our run game would be carrying our offense. That's not Austins fault.