Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Leach is 6-0 and he just made another Woodstock reference in the post game

Started by RedSkiesAtNightHog, October 07, 2017, 10:41:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RedSkiesAtNightHog

He is in year 6 and he obviously is having fun!  Some coaches just have IT!

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

phadedhawg

Hoggie17

Purdue won, another good coach. It didn't five years for him to win.   

AirWarren

sickboy

I like Mike Leach. He's as entertaining a coach as there is. But he's 35-34 at Washington State. It's not like he's lit up the Pac-12. He's having a good season and the Pac-12 is weaker this year, so he's got a good shot of having a really nice year. But I still think we can find someone with more upside than Leach.

Ironhawg

Quote from: AP85 on October 07, 2017, 10:56:01 pm
The program is sinking without LR. So go ahead and make jokes.

Your cracks about the wine and cheese crowd in NWA used to tick me off something fierce, but I am beginning to think Long doesn't care about having fans; he just wants spectators.

rtr

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on October 07, 2017, 11:00:17 pm
If I'm not watching Petrino (Paul) get beaten by the Cajuns, I'm in Pullman for the Air Raid.

Leach has inferior athletes when compared to Arkansas and the OL is crap. Falk gets rocked every game and has been hurt a lot (concussions). He's also accurate and gets rid of the ball quickly.

I can't think of an AR QB who has done that in ages and I don't know if it's a long-term bet. I do know that if Falk survives the game, the Cougs often win.
This and he has a good young defensive coordinator.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

AflacHawg

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

livevanguy

Quote from: rhames on October 07, 2017, 10:42:53 pm
He also loves little rock.

We need leach.
Yeah, just like we need the 2  players on his team busted this week by the cops for shoplifting at Walmart. I'd prefer not to have a coach that doesn't seem to care that his players don't go to classes, start fights, and/or get arrested. Oh, and there was the whole locking a kid in a shed in the middle of summer. Real winner there. Pass.
Call'n the hogs from the Pacific Northwest

Pancetta

Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

WPS007

sigpooie

Leach would make me want to party like it's 1978..but why don't we take someone comin up like memp coach, get an ad who will hire a coach that his agent did not recommend.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tusked on October 08, 2017, 12:18:04 am
you do realize he's coached in the SEC don't you?

Only as an assistant. Nobody paid any attention to what he said then.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Erockster20 on October 08, 2017, 08:28:58 am
Wanted Leach when we hired Petrino. Still do.

In his ten years at TT he had 2 or less conferences losses in only two out of those ten. The rest of the years he had three or more. He had four or more five out of that ten. In five full years at WSU he's had four of three or more conference losses. This year he has none so far but has only played three.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

gawntrail

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on October 08, 2017, 08:11:35 am
Oh you mean like players we have had that steal from Belk or spit on other players?

You mean the TITLE SPONSOR of the bowl we were in.... that Belk. 

Yeah.  I'm with you.  Give me a break on all this holier than though crap.

The_Iceman

Imagine Leach next year with Kelley at QB, Hammonds and Hayden at RB, and all of our WRs returning. Could be a special team

Hogwild

Quote from: sickboy on October 07, 2017, 10:57:07 pm
I like Mike Leach. He's as entertaining a coach as there is. But he's 35-34 at Washington State. It's not like he's lit up the Pac-12. He's having a good season and the Pac-12 is weaker this year, so he's got a good shot of having a really nice year. But I still think we can find someone with more upside than Leach.

He is one game above .500 at Washington State.  Since 1952, 65 years and dozen head coaches only Dennis Erickson (12-10-1) and Mike Price (83-78) have finished more than one game above .500 with the Cougars.

The_Iceman

Be more intelligent than to use his overall record.

Look at Washington State's record before he got there, take into account 3 years to build at a bad program with poor facilities and weak recruiting base, and look what he has done after year 4.

Two of his first three seasons were 3-9 because of just an awful roster he was rebuilding.

HiggiePiggy

Please tell me you at least looked at what Washington State was before leach took over?  If you have not here you go.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/washington-state/
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hawgbawb

Quote from: AP85 on October 07, 2017, 10:56:01 pm
The program is sinking without LR. So go ahead and make jokes.
It's sinking without LR athletes on the roster. Shame on LR for letting it school system go down the tubes.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

Razor1997

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on October 07, 2017, 10:57:53 pm
The SEC is a different animal

Maybe in the past, but not so much today.  Today it's Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, and then there are 10 other teams that we're entirely capable of beating with the talent we have on hand, given the proper coaching.

rtr

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 08, 2017, 08:54:02 am
In his ten years at TT he had 2 or less conferences losses in only two out of those ten. The rest of the years he had three or more. He had four or more five out of that ten. In five full years at WSU he's had four of three or more conference losses. This year he has none so far but has only played three.
The Big 12 South was at it's peak when he was there.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: RedSkiesAtNightHog on October 07, 2017, 10:41:37 pm
Frankly I was hoping we WOULD see some neckidness just like Woodstock.  ;)

Atlhogfan1

Know where Pullman Wa is?  It doesn't get much more isolated in a P5 conference.  32000 seat stadium.  He is doing a fantastic job there. 

Huge fan.  Love watching them.  He values speed on both sides especially on D. Great plan to build a disadvantaged program. 

SEC is different.  Not sure he would fit at Arkansas. He is good on the West Coast from a personality standpoint. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HF#1

He is a poor man's Petrino who may despise the defensive side of the ball more than Petrino does. I'm not sure why folks are so obsessed with this guy.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

bennyl08

Leach could be a good hire depending on what you hope to accomplish from a new hire.

More often than not, he'll beat the team's he's supposed to beat and won't beat teams that he shouldn't beat. Our recruiting would definitely take a tumble so the number of teams we should beat would be decreased.

His style is very much suited for the Big 12, TTU is about on par with us wrt to their conference. He was run out of there, and it wasn't just the locking a student in a closet incident either.

I'd rather go with somebody who gives us a higher ceiling than Leach, even at the risk of a lower floor.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HiggiePiggy

Honestly I doubt our recruiting would be any different as far as rankings go as it is today.  We are Arkansas we are always 5th or 6th in recruiting in the west division. That will probably never change. 

Tusks

You guys do know he's the winningest coach in Texas Tech history don't you?  I think in both wins and win%.

Now that doesn't make him knute rockny but the man wins.

I don't get some of you.  It's like you want to downgrade any other coach that wins more than the hog coach at the time.

If Barry Alvarez stepped through the door tomorrow as AD at the UA, you know what kind of coach he'd hire, a spread coach because of the available talent to the program.

Some of you seem to go kicking and screaming to a winning program.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on October 08, 2017, 01:51:18 pm
Leach would have been perfect taking over for BP because of similar styles. He's done a great job rebuilding a program that has little to no history of success, at least the last 20 years. He wouldn't have had to rebuild here. As bad as we are, if he came here next season, there would be a few weapons that'd he be able to utilize better than these 'coaches'. Long would never hire him though after being fired for incident at TT, he has to much integrity for that. It's not all about winning  :puke:

They aren't similar. For Frank sake people don't understand Petrino and his offense. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

longpig

Quote from: HF#1 on October 08, 2017, 01:25:59 pm
He is a poor man's Petrino who may despise the defensive side of the ball more than Petrino does. I'm not sure why folks are so obsessed with this guy.

Yeh, being a quirky personality at a smallish program fits him well.  He'll never take a high pressure "big job", just not him and he knows it. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

moses_007

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on October 08, 2017, 03:46:50 pm
Concur.

Pullman, WA, fits him perfectly: it's a small, quirky, country, intellectual town.

Leach in Fayetteville in 1990 would have been perfect.  Now?  It's not what he wants.
Wave $4 million in his face and he would come here.  He is only making $2.5 million at WSU.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 07, 2017, 10:52:35 pm
Purdue won, another good coach. It didn't five years for him to win.
It doesnt take any good coach 5 years. You know if they are the right guy a year or 2 in
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

livevanguy

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on October 08, 2017, 08:11:35 am
Oh you mean like players we have had that steal from Belk or spit on other players?
The difference here is that I don't have to question whether the coach would take any action if a player did this. Leech had to be told by the WSU Administration to stop playing athletes that had been arrested. I don't have any issue with a coach that employs an "air raid" system, but I do have a problem with a coach that has questionable integrity. I want to win as much as the next fan, but not at the risk/cost of becoming the next Baylor or Penn State/Sandusky. We have suffered enough embarrassment post-BP.
Call'n the hogs from the Pacific Northwest

Biggus Piggus

Washington State under Leach:

2012 - 3-9
2013 - 6-7
2014 - 3-9
2015 - 9-4 (including a loss to Portland State)
2016 - 8-5
2017 - 6-0

Record - 35-34

He needed a 6-game winning streak to get above .500. What makes you say he has "it," and what is it?
[CENSORED]!

Razor1997

Quote from: moses_007 on October 08, 2017, 03:51:57 pm
Wave $4 million in his face and he would come here.  He is only making $2.5 million at WSU.

And if he can get us to 7-6 with a bowl win in his second year here, he can probably negotiate an eight figure buyout.

phadedhawg

I like Leach and would love to have him as our coach.  I doubt it would last long but it would be interesting.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 08, 2017, 04:44:40 pm
Washington State under Leach:

2012 - 3-9
2013 - 6-7
2014 - 3-9
2015 - 9-4 (including a loss to Portland State)
2016 - 8-5
2017 - 6-0

Record - 35-34

He needed a 6-game winning streak to get above .500. What makes you say he has "it," and what is it?

What was Washington states record the 10 years before he showed up.  Plus looking at that shows that the team has gotten better as the years went by.  So he built it up and by year 4 he has won 9, 8 and looking pretty good right now. Probably win 10 or more this year. 

Washington State before Leech had 1 6-6 season all the rest in 8 years were losing seasons.  Now they have 3 winning seasons in a row.  Last time they did that was 2001, 2002 and 2003. He is a coach that has taken terrible teams and turn them into winning programs.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/washington-state/

Here is Texas Tech also if you want to see how mediocre that team is compared to the years that Leech was there. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-tech/

The guy can turn programs into winners.

LZH

Quote from: livevanguy on October 08, 2017, 12:24:28 am
Yeah, just like we need the 2  players on his team busted this week by the cops for shoplifting at Walmart. I'd prefer not to have a coach that doesn't seem to care that his players don't go to classes, start fights, and/or get arrested. Oh, and there was the whole locking a kid in a shed in the middle of summer. Real winner there. Pass.

Frankly,  I'm sick of the idea that head coaches are babysitters as well. These guys are paid millions to win.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 08, 2017, 04:59:30 pm
I like Leach and would love to have him as our coach.  I doubt it would last long but it would be interesting.

He might would be here for awhile. He seems to not bolt from schools quickly. 

Biggus Piggus

Washington State has had bursts of winning in the past, too. They have up cycles and down cycles. Leach has done no miracles there. If Bielema had had two 3-9 seasons in his first three, people would have been even more irate.
[CENSORED]!

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 08, 2017, 05:12:31 pm
Washington State has had bursts of winning in the past, too. They have up cycles and down cycles. Leach has done no miracles there. If Bielema had had two 3-9 seasons in his first three, people would have been even more irate.

They would have been upset, but then people would be happy today with him seeing how he has moved the program in the right direction going 9, 8, and sitting at 6-0 right now.  Also you don't take into account of the 7 LOSING seasons in 8 years before he showed up.  Arkansas would give any coach some time if they just went through almost a decade of terrible seasons.  Guy can build programs up and has proven it at 2 very mediocre to bad schools. 

Rzbakfromwaybak

6-0 this year, is not bad for taking over a team a few years ago that may have been in the worst shape of any program in the country.  That was what their AD that hired Leach admitted.  He's 6-0 right now, we're going to be 2-5 in the next 2 weeks.  I doubt we will win 6 games all year. He would certainly be an upgrade, & play the kind of offense we really need to be in.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

HiggiePiggy

I am willing to bet as long as Leach is at Washington State he will never have another season under 8 wins.

Augustus

Mike Leach is one (1) game above a .500 record, at Wazzu.

His only bowl game win in 5 seasons at Wazzu is the "Sun Bowl".

No thanks.

Swestwill66

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 08, 2017, 09:00:27 am
Imagine Leach next year with Kelley at QB, Hammonds and Hayden at RB, and all of our WRs returning. Could be a special team

Or Brohm!!