Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ethics of Flying School Flags and Banners

Started by HognitiveDissonance, August 21, 2017, 04:07:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognitiveDissonance

I consider myself pretty open-minded and live-and-let-live person. I don't hate on people not like me, or that don't share my favorite teams, or my favorite hobbies, and yes, even religion and politics. I'm a proud southerner, but try hard not to be jingo-istic about it. Yankees and tax dollars welcome here too.
But I spend a good amount of time in Hot Springs Village.
Even though it's smack in the heart of Arkansas, probably ¾ of the Village are snowbird retirees from the upper Midwest---Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin, etc
As I'm playing golf, there are flags displayed everywhere for their favorite teams---Wisconsin, Mich St, Iowa, Green Bay Packers, etc etc
Honestly, this doesn't bother me too much. Really, it doesn't. This is *mostly* tongue-in-cheek.
On the other hand, though, it does tend to rub me the wrong way a bit.
Generally speaking, I don't like it when people try to have it both ways, or all ways. I want people to make a stand and stick with it. I want them to make up their mind.
In this case, you have these 'carpetbaggers' invading from the North and taking advantage of the warm climes of Arkansas, yet their heart still lies elsewhere, as evidenced by all the flags and banners.
Do I expect these people to forego all loyalties to their hometowns? Of course not. I couldn't do that if I tried, so I don't expect them to.
However, it got me to thinking: just what are the ethics that apply to this particular situation?
And this is what I've come up with:

1)If you are involuntarily relocated from one part of the country to another(such as a job relocation), then by all means, fly your flags and banners and display your bumper stickers all day. After all, it's not your choice to be there. Example: the thousands of people relocating from all parts to work for Wal-Mart or a Wal-Mart vendor in NWA.

2)However, if you are VOLUNTARILY relocating somewhere, then I say you need to make up your mind. If you're that fond of Wisconsin, then what the heck are you doing here? Why didn't you stay in Wisconsin if you love it so much? Poop or get off the pot. Sure, root for the Badgers in the privacy of your own home all you want, that's your business. And I don't expect you to start calling the Hogs right away. But try to fit in. At the end of the day, nobody cares to see your team colors.

Me, if I'm choosing to move somewhere, then I'm going to assimilate to my new home. Of course I will always be a Hog fan. Of course I will always be an Arkie. But I'm going to fit in and be respectful to the people I'm around. They don't care about any of that.

Voluntary vs involuntary relocation. That's the key.

Glad to help.

hobhog

Wow.

Kickoff seems like an eternity away.

BTW- when I go on vacation in Michigan every summer, we fly Razorback flags. I hope it gets under their skin as much as it does you.

ricepig

Quote from: hobhog on August 21, 2017, 04:19:58 pm
Wow.

BTW- when I go on vacation in Michigan every summer, we fly Razorback flags. I hope it gets under their skin as much as it does you.

Yep, we fly our Razorback flag at Seaside when we're at the house. Before we bought out our cousins a few years ago, it had about half of the SEC flags flown, none were Florida, though.

jswineberiaskirk

I remember reading a "Life in These United States" in Reader's Digest ( I know remove the third, fifth, sixth, and seventh letters and that's Red Digest comrade according to Col. Flagg) back in the 70s. Guy wrote in that his parents moved to Michigan from Arkansas and he and his family were going to go see them. They told him the street or road to take. When he asked for further directions he was told you'll know it when you see it. They drove right to it. He said, "I'm sure this was the only house in Michigan flying the Rebel flag!"

HognitiveDissonance

Wow.

Yes, stereotypical summer-time thread when nothing is going on.
You're welcome!

HognitiveDissonance

Wow.

That's my main deal. I'm just a really nice guy who tries to fit in and be respectful at all times. I really DON'T want to get under someone's skin.
Abrasiveness is just not my thing.
And yes, those people who see the Hog flags in Michigan, I'm sure a few of them are thinking the same thing. HA

NoogaHog

Nah, I don't get it. I was born and raised in Arkansas. We left Arkansas in 1994 for a job. I could have taken a similar job in Arkansas, but we wanted to see other places. We have lived in the Chattanooga area for almost 20 years and absolutely love it. Beautiful scenery, amazing, vibrant downtown area, close to the Smokies, mild traffic, low crime. Although I don't fly a flag per se, I have the Hog on my car and in my office, and anyone who spends any time with me knows I am a big fan.

I will most likely never live in Arkansas again but I still feel the tug of home. When I go home to visit, (Pine Bluff) I am thankful that I don't live there and sad for the people that do. I wish my hometown could be somewhere I would want to live. I still consider myself an Arkansan, and always will. 

When I retire, I will probably retire to the Smokies, while idealizing Arkansas in my mind. Now, if I don't meet your criteria, let me know. I will try to stop talking about the 94 championship, and the Miracle on Markham and Childs Please.
I hope I don't have to turn in my copy of Orville's "Razorbacks" book that my dad and I recorded all the scores in before the interwebs, or my LR Red-White game program signed by Jerry Eckwood, or my 1978 basketball program signed by Big Sam Smith.

That's just silly. I will preach Arkansas where ever and whenever I VOLUNTARILY decide to live.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

HogHomer

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on August 21, 2017, 04:30:28 pm
That's my main deal. I'm just a really nice guy who tries to fit in and be respectful at all times. I really DON'T want to get under someone's skin.
Abrasiveness is just not my thing.
And yes, those people who see the Hog flags in Michigan, I'm sure a few of them are thinking the same thing. HA
I mean I love Arkansas but I am not going to live here the rest of my life. That doesnt change the fact that the Hogs are going to always be my team. So when I move I going to keep wearing my hog gear and flying my banners wherever I go. You shouldn't have to worry about stepping on toes for supporting your team. Living in a state shouldn't determine your preferences. All that said I get that it's a bit of a tongue-in-cheek comment. Just thought I'd give my perspective as someone who will eventually move voluntarily

SoCal Hog

As I read this thread sitting in my family room in Pasadena, CA I am wearing a Razorback t-shirt. It works the other way too, with Razorback fans living in other places.

I am not about to follow USC. I married into a UCLA family and I can tolerate the Bruins, but I still wear Hog gear.
Most of our friends agree that I married better than my wife did.

PossumFan

I voluntarily relocated 31 years ago to Virginia, where I fly my Razorback flag in front of my house. It's about five times bigger than the Alabama flag my neighbor three houses down flies. If anyone has a problem with it, tough.

SugarHillGaHog

I've been in Georgia over 30 years and have fairly well assimilated here.  I've never had anyone have issues about my Razorback stuff.  Most of the time it's like "Hey!  Arkansas.  Y'all need to beat ### this weekend." and that's about it.  Of course this is the Atlanta area with folks from all over displaying their teams.  It might be different out in the middle of South Georgia.  I kinda doubt it though.  It's a very odd thing to have issue over to me.  "You're in Georgia now you better switch to UGA now".  Not going to happen.  There is GT, Auburn, Bama, Clemson, etc all over the place.

hawginbigd1

I fly my Razorback flag on my Razorback red ford pick-up for these last 14 years here in DFW, I even have a 10 foot inflatable Hog that was front and center in the yard during holidays and on big game weekends  ;D

GoHogzzGo

Flying my Hog flag every Saturday during season in DFW.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

AirWarren

I'm a Warren boy. Live in central Arkansas and can always be seen with a lumberjack shirt or hat on at times. Heck I even put out a lumberjack helmet beside my yard hog during the fall.

I also wear hurricane and gator stuff.

Picked up a new razorback polo Saturday that I can't wait to wear next week to work on Thursday. Our Little Rock office is going to be slap full of hog stuff. We have an occasional tenner, ole miss etc. We pick at eat other in good humor.

I think that's the beauty of the south. We all love our football and we can appreciate fandom from all aspects.

AirWarren

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on August 21, 2017, 04:07:30 pm
I consider myself pretty open-minded and live-and-let-live person. I don't hate on people not like me, or that don't share my favorite teams, or my favorite hobbies, and yes, even religion and politics. I'm a proud southerner, but try hard not to be jingo-istic about it. Yankees and tax dollars welcome here too.
But I spend a good amount of time in Hot Springs Village.
Even though it's smack in the heart of Arkansas, probably ¾ of the Village are snowbird retirees from the upper Midwest---Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin, etc
As I'm playing golf, there are flags displayed everywhere for their favorite teams---Wisconsin, Mich St, Iowa, Green Bay Packers, etc etc
Honestly, this doesn't bother me too much. Really, it doesn't. This is *mostly* tongue-in-cheek.
On the other hand, though, it does tend to rub me the wrong way a bit.
Generally speaking, I don't like it when people try to have it both ways, or all ways. I want people to make a stand and stick with it. I want them to make up their mind.
In this case, you have these 'carpetbaggers' invading from the North and taking advantage of the warm climes of Arkansas, yet their heart still lies elsewhere, as evidenced by all the flags and banners.
Do I expect these people to forego all loyalties to their hometowns? Of course not. I couldn't do that if I tried, so I don't expect them to.
However, it got me to thinking: just what are the ethics that apply to this particular situation?
And this is what I've come up with:

1)If you are involuntarily relocated from one part of the country to another(such as a job relocation), then by all means, fly your flags and banners and display your bumper stickers all day. After all, it's not your choice to be there. Example: the thousands of people relocating from all parts to work for Wal-Mart or a Wal-Mart vendor in NWA.

2)However, if you are VOLUNTARILY relocating somewhere, then I say you need to make up your mind. If you're that fond of Wisconsin, then what the heck are you doing here? Why didn't you stay in Wisconsin if you love it so much? Poop or get off the pot. Sure, root for the Badgers in the privacy of your own home all you want, that's your business. And I don't expect you to start calling the Hogs right away. But try to fit in. At the end of the day, nobody cares to see your team colors.

Me, if I'm choosing to move somewhere, then I'm going to assimilate to my new home. Of course I will always be a Hog fan. Of course I will always be an Arkie. But I'm going to fit in and be respectful to the people I'm around. They don't care about any of that.

Voluntary vs involuntary relocation. That's the key.

Glad to help.

Ps.

I appreciate your trolling work.

Gonzo

I really can't believe this is a legit question.     Oh wait, it's HV and the internet, sure I can, lol

It's sports, that means it's a game. Fly/wear whatever allegiance you want, everybody, wherever you are.

Go Hogs!

hawkhawg

I love Arkansas and the hogs. Live here because I want to and will always live here. I wouldn't even consider leaving unless all my kids relocate to the same area.

But I have no loyalty to "The South". And words like carpetbaggers or Yankees are just stupid.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: AP85 on August 21, 2017, 06:42:09 pm
Ps.

I appreciate your trolling work.
No trolling intent whatsoever.
This is how I truly feel.
Make up your mind: do you like Wisconsin so much? Great. Stay there.
Oh...wait. You must not like it so much. Since you packed up all your belongings and MOVED HERE. TO ARKANSAS. Make up your mind!!!!
Ohhh...so you want to have your cake and eat it too?

A lot of tongue-in-cheek, obviously.
I have probably passed these houses in HSV 100 times and had no real thoughts, so the mere act of writing this down gives the impression that it's something more than what it really is: a mostly amusing thing.
Maybe the 101st time I passed these houses did the thought occur to me. D*** Yankees.

HognitiveDissonance

What's really interesting to me is the number of OU banners I see in the Village. That's a different twist. Oklahoma is not that far away.

But, you know, I think HSV is an amazing place (especially if you're a golfer), so I get it. They know where the good life is.

MuskogeeHogFan

August 21, 2017, 08:03:45 pm #19 Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 08:28:37 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on August 21, 2017, 07:52:00 pm
No trolling intent whatsoever.
This is how I truly feel.
Make up your mind: do you like Wisconsin so much? Great. Stay there.
Oh...wait. You must not like it so much. Since you packed up all your belongings and MOVED HERE. TO ARKANSAS. Make up your mind!!!!
Ohhh...so you want to have your cake and eat it too?

A lot of tongue-in-cheek, obviously.
I have probably passed these houses in HSV 100 times and had no real thoughts, so the mere act of writing this down gives the impression that it's something more than what it really is: a mostly amusing thing.
Maybe the 101st time I passed these houses did the thought occur to me. D*** Yankees.

I grew up in Oklahoma and now, live here again and have for quite a few years. I have lived in Arkansas, Missouri, Texas, Arizona, California and I have spent a considerable number of years in Europe. Still a Hog fan and I didn't really give a rip what my neighbors thought wherever I lived. There may come a time in several years that I move back to the San Diego County area for good. Not because I don't love NE Oklahoma or NW Arkansas, but because the climate is more moderate and tolerable as I get older plus, I miss the Pacific Ocean. If I ever make that move will I put my Cardinal Red Hog out front for the whole world to see? Yep. And I don't give a hoot what they feel about me not being a San Diego State, UCLA or USC fan.

Oh and by the way, I am a life long NY Yankees fan as well, though I don't live in New York.
Go Hogs Go!

HogFansReunited

I have lived all over the country but I have always been a hog fan. People are free to support whatever team they want no matter where they decided to live.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

TheSlacker

Moved to the Seattle area mid-2015.  Have my Hog banner hanging on my apartment patio, and a Hog sticker on my car.  Occasionally see other cars with Hog stickers too.

FYI, UW Husky stadium looks like a small Texas high school stadium.

hawgmasta

If they're too old to do anything about it I would rip that flag down and have deltaboy and I ram them in our 6" lifted golf cart. We don't take kindly to carpetbagging sob's down here.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Ah, the latent racism of the terms "carpetbagger" and "Yankee." Way to keep the hate alive. The south was on the wrong side of the war, lost, and will never "rise again." Enjoy your banjo!

theFlyingHog

What about moving to a different country. Say I move north, to find work. Would it be wrong of me to fly the US flag?

theFlyingHog

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on August 21, 2017, 09:28:29 pm
Ah, the latent racism of the terms "carpetbagger" and "Yankee." Way to keep the hate alive. The south was on the wrong side of the war, lost, and will never "rise again." Enjoy your banjo!
Nothing latent about it, boy. Frick them yanks

McKdaddy

Moved out of state voluntarily, to open a business in a strategically better location. I proudly sport my various Hog gear, through thick-and-thin. I can't imagine changing my loyalties. Has never crossed my mind.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

McKdaddy

Quote from: HogFansReunited on August 21, 2017, 08:29:13 pm
People are free to support whatever team they want no matter where they decided to live.

Agreed. Their tax dollaes are welcomed.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

jkstock04

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 21, 2017, 09:52:43 pm
What about moving to a different country. Say I move north, to find work. Would it be wrong of me to fly the US flag?
Yes, I think so. If you move to a completely different country why would you want to fly the American flag in your lawn? To me, if I moved to a different country I would assimilate to THEIR culture. I'm not going to expect them to conform to my culture...that's just dumb. Although...we have that going on constantly in the United States. People don't want to assimilate...I think it's dumb.

This goes back to what the OP was saying. To me, it's one thing to wear a Hog shirt or hat...but it's another to fly flags outside your house like people really want to see that. I know of a guy that has 2 or 3 Clemson Tigers flags flying outside his place and he lives close to the university. I mean get real...like people around Hog country really want to see that garbage.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HognitiveDissonance

Good point about the American flag in a foreign country. That's a tough one.
But it does kinda get to the same point about assimilation.
People who come to America need to learn English. They need to adopt our flag and put America first, their homelands second. Many of them do, but many don't.

Here's a sports context of this principle.
Why does the USA allow foreign athletes who live in Florida most of the year go back to compete for their 'home' country AGAINST the USA in the Ryder Cup?
Or a track star who lives in the USA most of the time and trains here, yet competes for their home country when the Olympics rolls around?
Why do we let people walk all over the good ole USA like that? Just LET people take advantage of us.

Now, again, do I think that much about it? No. But if you stop and think, it's just common decency, common sense, and it ain't right. Again, make up your mind, pro athlete. If you want to come to the USA and take advantage of our colleges and universities, our training resources, then you can't go back and compete against us.

There has to be an ethical rule based on how much time you spend on this country. For pro golfers, the ethical rule would be where your home tour is. If you're home tour is the Euro Tour, and you play occasional events like the Masters, U.S. Open, or other, then go ahead and compete for Europe. However, if you're based on the PGA Tour and/or live here, you need to play for the U.S. or stay home.

These are not jingoistic principles...it's just common sense, fairness, and respect for others. Or respect for countries.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on August 21, 2017, 09:28:29 pm
Barking up the wrong tree here. I've never had a Confederate flag in my life. I actually don't even 'get' that.

This is about people trying to have it both ways. A good example was 'Yanks' voluntarily moving to Arkansas yet flying their 'Yank' flags and banners. Is it ethical? Some say sure, some say 'well,,,depends'.

HognitiveDissonance

It's a seeming contradiction:

The person's flag waving of Wisconsin from his front porch says "I like Wisconsin"
The person's actions in packing up and moving to Arkansas says "I don't like Wisconsin that much."

Which is it?

jkstock04

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on August 22, 2017, 09:36:40 am
Good point about the American flag in a foreign country. That's a tough one.
But it does kinda get to the same point about assimilation.
People who come to America need to learn English. They need to adopt our flag and put America first, their homelands second. Many of them do, but many don't.

Here's a sports context of this principle.
Why does the USA allow foreign athletes who live in Florida most of the year go back to compete for their 'home' country AGAINST the USA in the Ryder Cup?
Or a track star who lives in the USA most of the time and trains here, yet competes for their home country when the Olympics rolls around?
Why do we let people walk all over the good ole USA like that? Just LET people take advantage of us.

Now, again, do I think that much about it? No. But if you stop and think, it's just common decency, common sense, and it ain't right. Again, make up your mind, pro athlete. If you want to come to the USA and take advantage of our colleges and universities, our training resources, then you can't go back and compete against us.

There has to be an ethical rule based on how much time you spend on this country. For pro golfers, the ethical rule would be where your home tour is. If you're home tour is the Euro Tour, and you play occasional events like the Masters, U.S. Open, or other, then go ahead and compete for Europe. However, if you're based on the PGA Tour and/or live here, you need to play for the U.S. or stay home.

These are not jingoistic principles...it's just common sense, fairness, and respect for others. Or respect for countries.

I'm around the same campfire you are on this. To me, it's just common sense...I would never do something like that.

And a half hour ago I noticed a guy with a big ass Cubs flag and Blackhawks flag flying from his house LOL...it doesn't make me mad or anything, it's just a tad annoying seeing that. Nobody around here cares about the Chicago Cubs or the Blackhawks. I would say people who do stuff like this are aggressive, in your face type of people.

The only flags I would fly in my yard for all to see would be the American flag or an Arkansas Razorback flag. Now, it's possible that there are people who would be offended by that even, and could make the same argument I'm making above. "Not everyone wants to be subjected to the American flag or a Hog flag." I would counter to that and say we are in the USA in Hog country...what else do you expect?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

DeltaBoy

They can fly them as long as they don't got to the media complaining about mine.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

I didn't have a Hog flag or banner with me on my trip last week to California but you damn well know I had on a Hog shirt or Hog cap 99% of the time. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 30, 2017, 10:59:58 pm
I didn't have a Hog flag or banner with me on my trip last week to California but you damn well know I had on a Hog shirt or Hog cap 99% of the time.
I don't even seem to have to wear anything for people to know all about me.

Speaking of California, I've been to Yosemite National Park three times. Twice I visited Glacier Point.
Inside the gift shop on the first trip in the 80s, I said a few sentences at the counter and the guy asked me:

"Where are you from?"
"Arkansas"
"Really? I'm from Pine Bluff."

The guy picked up on my Arkansas accent in just a few sentences. Small world.

But it gets better. The third time I was there I bought a book and some tee-shirts.
The guy asked me
"Where are you from?"
"Arkansas"
"I saw your Regions Bank card. I'm from Alabama. I figured you were from the South."

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on August 30, 2017, 11:18:53 pm
I don't even seem to have to wear anything for people to know all about me.

Speaking of California, I've been to Yosemite National Park three times. Twice I visited Glacier Point.
Inside the gift shop on the first trip in the 80s, I said a few sentences at the counter and the guy asked me:

"Where are you from?"
"Arkansas"
"Really? I'm from Pine Bluff."

The guy picked up on my Arkansas accent in just a few sentences. Small world.

But it gets better. The third time I was there I bought a book and some tee-shirts.
The guy asked me
"Where are you from?"
"Arkansas"
"I saw your Regions Bank card. I'm from Alabama. I figured you were from the South."

I always seem to get a response from people out there about my Hog wear. The one I remember most though was in Colorado. We were driving through Rocky Mountain National Park. We decided to go out the west side and make a big circle back to our hotel in Boulder. We got out the other side of the park and we both were hungry. We stopped at a Pizza joint in a very small town outside the west side of the park. Went inside and sat down. Of course I had on a Hog cap. The waiter came up to us, saw my cap and asked if we were from Arkansas. We said yes and he asked if we knew where Mena was. He had relatives that lived in Mena.   
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DeltaBoy

Here In TEXAS I fly the Hog Flag on Game day!!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.