Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Long selected as one of top ADs

Started by Karma, August 17, 2017, 02:45:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 21, 2017, 12:55:11 pm
Did I miss something?  Was Arkansas formerly known as Thug U?  Were our alums and fans ashamed of the university and its athletic programs before 2007?

Who said anything about that?

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on August 21, 2017, 01:06:33 pm
But there were 5 losses, only wins matter, so you statement wasn't correct.

No, it was a good number of wins and there was hope for more.  Now we don't have enough and there is little reason to hope, but for blind unreasoning hope, for more.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on August 21, 2017, 01:45:45 pm
No, it was a good number of wins and there was hope for more.  Now we don't have enough and there is little reason to hope, but for blind unreasoning hope, for more.

Oh ye of little faith.....

gchamblee

A thread was created to celebrate a pretty cool accomplishment by our AD. The usual suspects are concerned that someone may enjoy or take pride in this so they barged in to spread their misery. It is really pathetic when any accomplishments within the athletic department are darn on by people who insist on ruining it for everyone else. When I see others enjoying something that I really do not care about, I have never once considered ruining it for them.

gchamblee

Quote from: hawgon on August 21, 2017, 01:45:45 pm

And you have decided to punish those that don't feel the way you do by being there at every turn to remind them that those things they enjoy aren't worth crap. Good on you. Hogville has made me wish a person could list exclusions on their donor card.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on August 21, 2017, 12:23:44 pm
Those who are alums have a little different take than those who aren't. We all want more wins, that's why we play the game, but there's more to it than just wins.

Of course Alums might have a different perspective. That being said non-Alums should also recognize that it's not just wins either. Unfortunately some of them don't but that's life when dealing with irrational/illogical sports fans.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawgon on August 21, 2017, 12:46:58 pm
No reason to settle.  And, I wasn't disappointed with 22-5.

Now you simply want to play a percentages game except you want all wins. Can't have your cake and eat it too. Disappointment for me does not include whether a team I'm not playing for wins or loses any games. The only thing I'm disappointed in with wins/losses is that the PLAYERS didn't get what THEY wanted and worked hard for in a loss. I'm disappointed FOR them not TOWARDS them.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on August 21, 2017, 01:48:52 pm
Oh ye of little faith.....

and no hope despite the fact there is ALWAYS hope.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ricepig on August 21, 2017, 01:07:28 pm
Who said anything about that?

People are talking about overlooking the W/L record because at least we are running a clean program, the players aren't criminals, and they can be proud of the way things are done.  Were we an outlaw athletic department before?

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 21, 2017, 01:56:07 pm
Now you simply want to play a percentages game except you want all wins. Can't have your cake and eat it too. Disappointment for me does not include whether a team I'm not playing for wins or loses any games. The only thing I'm disappointed in with wins/losses is that the PLAYERS didn't get what THEY wanted and worked hard for in a loss. I'm disappointed FOR them not TOWARDS them.

What's with this "you want all wins" business?? Most people on here (self included) would be happy if they get at least 8 wins in regular season play this year. No one is wanting them to climb mountains that they are not ready to climb.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 21, 2017, 02:40:11 pm
People are talking about overlooking the W/L record because at least we are running a clean program, the players aren't criminals, and they can be proud of the way things are done.  Were we an outlaw athletic department before?

Well, we've had some outlaws, but not to a large degree. If I had to choose with winning the Fulmer Cup and 10 wins, or 8 wins and a great GPA, I'd probably take the 8. I'd much prefer 10 wins and the academic success.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on August 21, 2017, 02:42:20 pm
What's with this "you want all wins" business?? Most people on here (self included) would be happy if they get at least 8 wins in regular season play this year. No one is wanting them to climb mountains that they are not ready to climb.

They wanted wins only. I was responding to someone else so what's with you?

GuvHog

August 21, 2017, 03:27:26 pm #213 Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 06:43:44 am by GuvHog
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 21, 2017, 03:05:23 pm
They wanted wins only. I was responding to someone else so what's with you?

Like I said, I don't believe anyone expects the Hogs to go undefeated, they just expect better than 7 regular season wins a year. helping the players to excel in the class room and running a clean program are great things but there is more to being a head football coach than that. Universities don't hire coaches to just do part of the job.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on August 21, 2017, 03:27:26 pm
Like I said, I don't believe anyone expects the Hogs to go undefeated, they just expect better than 7 regular season wins a year. helping the players to excel in the class room and running a program are great things but there is more to being a head football coach than that. Universities don't hire coaches to just do part of the job.

My point was they think that ONLY wins are important. Yes they are but they aren't the ONLY thing.

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 22, 2017, 04:18:52 am
My point was they think that ONLY wins are important. Yes they are but they aren't the ONLY thing.

They aren't the only thing but they are the MAIN thing. A head Coach can have the cleanest program possible and his players can be making the highest grades possible but if he isn't having success on the field, he'll eventually get fired.

Torqued pork

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on August 18, 2017, 12:54:08 am
Great AD...the people who disagree are butt hurt about him firing BP.
That would change with a replacement who produced. What's the timetable again?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on August 22, 2017, 06:48:54 am
They aren't the only thing but they are the MAIN thing. A head Coach can have the cleanest program possible and his players can be making the highest grades possible but if he isn't having success on the field, he'll eventually get fired.

If they screw up the other stuff enough they get fired as well.

jkstock04

Quote from: ricepig on August 19, 2017, 12:40:35 pm
So Hugh resigned, right?? You're smarter than this, or I hope you are. You can call it whatever you wish, but it's the same thing, they are let go for not winning enough games. Coaches are given the opportunity to resign in order to help their career, but if they get the severance pay, they're fired.
Bret Bielema will not be fired at Arkansas for not winning enough football games. The bar there is set low. There are other standards set that are higher that he excels at.

Take a look at what Jeff Long says...it's in black and white. The Bielema years have proven to him you don't have to have a coach like Bobby Petrino to be successful.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Peter Porker

Quote from: hawgon on August 21, 2017, 12:46:58 pm
No reason to settle.  And, I wasn't disappointed with 22-5.

Now, it's 22-5.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Razorod

Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

LZH

Long is good at what he does, but hiring and firing of coaches I am still on the fence. He hitched his wagon to Bielema and kind of backed himself into a corner with that huge buyout. But to be fair, you are probably not going to get a coach from a P5 conference who just won three conference titles to make a lateral move without one hell of an incentive to come. I think if Bielema barely scrapes above .500 again this year that next year will be his do-or-die season. If he underachieves again, Long will have no choice but to let him go...or he will certainly be 'advised' to do so. Of course, you gotta make sure there is a good coach out there before you fire the one you have.

I complain about the current state of our program a lot, but don't think I don't understand how it works. We are just hung with what we have until it gets better or we can afford to make a change. Does it mean I won't keep up my jabs? Take a guess.

Razorod

I honestly think that the worst we do this season is 8-4. Good shot at 9-3. 4-0 non-conf and 5-3 in conference.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 22, 2017, 07:23:04 am
Bret Bielema will not be fired at Arkansas for not winning enough football games. The bar there is set low. There are other standards set that are higher that he excels at.

Take a look at what Jeff Long says...it's in black and white. The Bielema years have proven to him you don't have to have a coach like Bobby Petrino to be successful.

Oh, that's right, you will use the "resign and take another job" as your fallback. Did Rob Smith resign or was he hired?

hawgon

I didn't agree with the firing and the hirings, but that is all water under the bridge and not everyone is happy with everything.  But what is/was unconscionable was the raise and extension of  Bielema's buyout after the first sign of moderate success.  It want necessary.  His contract could have been extended without raising and extending the buyout to such levels.

What is was, was a rather cynical power play on Long's part.  He cemented his man in the position in such a way as to make his replacement impossible.  Long is about Long and no one else.

hawgon

Here is the deal too.  Long is going to get left holding the bag.  Bielema has already been here five years.  No one stays at one job ten years anymore, or very very few.  That means that the odds that Bielema is still here in five years are very very slim. 

As soon as Bielema has any success indicating that he might be getting over the hump, he is leaving and taking another job, maybe in the NFL.  And there we'll be six to eight years into a rebuilding project with a team built for and by a coach who just left us for greener pastures.

Building for the long haul is stupid nowadays because there virtually is no long haul.  Coaches come and coaches go.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on August 27, 2017, 09:38:29 am
Here is the deal too.  Long is going to get left holding the bag.  Bielema has already been here five years.  No one stays at one job ten years anymore, or very very few.  That means that the odds that Bielema is still here in five years are very very slim. 

As soon as Bielema has any success indicating that he might be getting over the hump, he is leaving and taking another job, maybe in the NFL.  And there we'll be six to eight years into a rebuilding project with a team built for and by a coach who just left us for greener pastures.

Building for the long haul is stupid nowadays because there virtually is no long haul.  Coaches come and coaches go.

Maybe, maybe not. First, Bielema has had 4 seasons here, having said that, coaches do stay at schools, Gundy, Dantonio, Ferentz, Fitzgerald, Patterson, etc....Now, the younger guys are going to move on and up, but guys stay at places they are wanted.

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on August 27, 2017, 09:54:41 am
Maybe, maybe not. First, Bielema has had 4 seasons here, having said that, coaches do stay at schools, Gundy, Dantonio, Ferentz, Fitzgerald, Patterson, etc....Now, the younger guys are going to move on and up, but guys stay at places they are wanted.

Bielema will bolt because the SEC is too tough for him.

LZH

Quote from: hawgon on August 27, 2017, 10:16:29 am

He also can't call Barry Alvarez every Monday morning and get advice on what to do. Jeff long is a businessman, not a coach.

I think big boy is doing the best he can probably, but he just isn't the Ace in the Hole that Arkansas needs to win in this conference. I do think we have two very good coordinators but I am not sure they are enough to save his job.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on August 27, 2017, 10:16:29 am

He may be fired before, or he may stay forever, they're all possibilities, lol.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on August 27, 2017, 10:20:01 am
He also can't call Barry Alvarez every Monday morning and get advice on what to do. Jeff long is a businessman, not a coach.

I think big boy is doing the best he can probably, but he just isn't the Ace in the Hole that Arkansas needs to win in this conference. I do think we have two very good coordinators but I am not sure they are enough to save his job.

We've never had that Ace, I guess we just keep shuffling and dealing......

WilsonHog

Could be. Or, it could be that raising a family in northwest Arkansas while earning north of $4 million a year for winning 7-9 games a season is not a bad gig.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on August 27, 2017, 10:23:21 am
We've never had that Ace, I guess we just keep shuffling and dealing......

I would call Holtz and Petrino pretty much aces, at least for Arkansas. That's what, 2 out of the last 6 coaches we have had? So maybe we have a 1/3 chance of getting an ace if Bielema finally proves he can't cut it.

hawgon

Whatever happens, I just hope his tenure is nothing like Ferentz's at Iowa.  Win big and have some success or lose big and get gone.  The soul sucking mediocrity of Iowa football would destroy this program forever. 

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on August 27, 2017, 10:29:38 am
I would call Holtz and Petrino pretty much aces, at least for Arkansas. That's what, 2 out of the last 6 coaches we have had? So maybe we have a 1/3 chance of getting an ace if Bielema finally proves he can't cut it.

Holtz did share a conference championship, so there's that.

oldhawg

Quote from: hawgon on August 27, 2017, 09:22:21 am
I didn't agree with the firing and the hirings, but that is all water under the bridge and not everyone is happy with everything.  But what is/was unconscionable was the raise and extension of  Bielema's buyout after the first sign of moderate success.  It want necessary.  His contract could have been extended without raising and extending the buyout to such levels.

What is was, was a rather cynical power play on Long's part.  He cemented his man in the position in such a way as to make his replacement impossible.  Long is about Long and no one else.

Chances are that Long read Bielema's "moderate success" as a sign of better things to come, so he moved to keep him here a while longer.  Maybe he (Long) just read the tea leaves wrong.  Tough business he is in, predicting the future.

go hogues

Quote from: LZH on August 27, 2017, 07:09:26 am
Long is good at what he does, but hiring and firing of coaches I am still on the fence. He hitched his wagon to Bielema and kind of backed himself into a corner with that huge buyout. But to be fair, you are probably not going to get a coach from a P5 conference who just won three conference titles to make a lateral move without one hell of an incentive to come. I think if Bielema barely scrapes above .500 again this year that next year will be his do-or-die season. If he underachieves again, Long will have no choice but to let him go...or he will certainly be 'advised' to do so. Of course, you gotta make sure there is a good coach out there before you fire the one you have.

I complain about the current state of our program a lot, but don't think I don't understand how it works. We are just hung with what we have until it gets better or we can afford to make a change. Does it mean I won't keep up my jabs? Take a guess.
Good post
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

go hogues

Quote from: hawgon on August 27, 2017, 11:09:44 am
Whatever happens, I just hope his tenure is nothing like Ferentz's at Iowa.  Win big and have some success or lose big and get gone.  The soul sucking mediocrity of Iowa football would destroy this program forever. 
I'd take Iowa's success. They've played for at least two conference championships in the last decade, IIRC.
Also, I don't understand the soul sucking mediocrity quote? I've always thought that was kind of our m.o.?
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

gchamblee

Quote from: go hogues on August 27, 2017, 12:54:44 pm
I'd take Iowa's success. They've played for at least two conference championships in the last decade, IIRC.
Also, I don't understand the soul sucking mediocrity quote? I've always thought that was kind of our m.o.?

watching hawgon discuss our athletic staff is like watching teenagers discuss mortgages.

hawgon

Quote from: go hogues on August 27, 2017, 12:54:44 pm

Some are alright with it, some aren't.  It isn't worth supporting if you don't have hopes of high level success.

hawgon

Quote from: gchamblee on August 27, 2017, 12:56:01 pm
watching hawgon discuss our athletic staff is like watching teenagers discuss mortgages.

Well, I'm not on the payroll like you are.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on August 27, 2017, 01:09:36 pm
Well, I'm not on the payroll like you are.

I've got a few positions open for workers to pull spills out the next 4 weeks, at least you'll get a check.

jkstock04

Quote from: ricepig on August 27, 2017, 08:18:31 am
Oh, that's right, you will use the "resign and take another job" as your fallback. Did Rob Smith resign or was he hired?
Someone had to fall on the sword...obviously wasn't going to be Bielema. What does that have to do with what I said anyways?...Bielema isn't under pressure/the hot seat to win X amount of games. I don't believe that for one second. Evidence points otherwise.

What quote from Jeff Long leads you to believe differently? I can point to things that he has said to support what I'm saying. He is not the type of AD that puts a high priority on winning. His priorities are like I said earlier in the thread...everything PR and PC wise need to be solid...and above all I think he prides on having a clean athletic program. Those things are going to trump winning X amount of games by a wide margin.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

LZH

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 27, 2017, 02:26:14 pm
Someone had to fall on the sword...obviously wasn't going to be Bielema. What does that have to do with what I said anyways?...Bielema isn't under pressure/the hot seat to win X amount of games. I don't believe that for one second. Evidence points otherwise.

What quote from Jeff Long leads you to believe differently? I can point to things that he has said to support what I'm saying. He is not the type of AD that puts a high priority on winning. His priorities are like I said earlier in the thread...everything PR and PC wise need to be solid...and above all I think he prides on having a clean athletic program. Those things are going to trump winning X amount of games by a wide margin.

Sorta like being the 11th or 12th largest tater chip maker in the South. Not too many folks like our chips but somehow we're making major bank so what's the problem?

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 27, 2017, 02:26:14 pm

Good AD's don't make quotes on X number of games to win, those talks are in private. There's a number, he can't go 5-7 and 6-7 to stay here after 2018, just hide and watch. I don't think it's going to be a problem to better that, but he can't/won't stay here on academics alone.

Poker_hog

Quote from: hawgon on August 27, 2017, 09:38:29 am

There's no evidence that we've been building for the long haul.  It's not like we're redshirting 20+ players a year.  It was an excuse. 

Truth is by year three a coach pretty much owns the results.  Making a coaching change will cause to have a below average recruiting class for one year but usually the program rebounds with an above average class the next year as the new coach is selling playing time to his type of recruits.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

EastexHawg

Since 2005 Iowa is 87-61 overall and 3-7 in bowls, so on average they go 7-5 and lose a bowl game.  For anyone who would be fine with being Iowa, that's the bar.

Apparently that is a significant portion of our fan base these days.  They may not admit it, but try suggesting what we are getting and have gotten for the last half decade is unacceptable and they will not only argue with you, but make it sound like you are the "hater".

We have somehow evolved to the point that highly paid executives' careers are to be more protected and valued than the program itself. 

RME

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 27, 2017, 03:38:49 pm
Since 2005 Iowa is 87-61 overall and 3-7 in bowls, so on average they go 7-5 and lose a bowl game.  For anyone who would be fine with being Iowa, that's the bar.

Apparently that is a significant portion of our fan base these days.  They may not admit it, but try suggesting what we are getting and have gotten for the last half decade is unacceptable and they will not only argue with you, but make it sound like you are the "hater".

We have somehow evolved to the point that highly paid executives' careers are to be more protected and valued than the program itself.

Do you know what we are since 2005? Spoiler: It's scarily similar.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 27, 2017, 03:38:49 pm

If it is unacceptable for you then give up, quit donating, quit buying season tickets and quit posting on here and go root for Bama. I bet you don't donate much if any or but season tickets.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 28, 2017, 08:37:21 am
If it is unacceptable for you then give up, quit donating, quit buying season tickets and quit posting on here and go root for Bama. I bet you don't donate much if any or but season tickets.

Exhibit A.