Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruiting in Little Rock - Bo Mattingly article

Started by redleg, July 06, 2017, 08:26:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: songofthesword on July 09, 2017, 09:48:54 pm
I was born at Doctor's Hospital. First lived on Gang st off Roosevelt. Moved to John Barrow area when I was 5 or so, then when my mother graduated from UALR we moved to cherry creek off Bowman.

I went to school at Fuller all the way through Mills because I was in TAG / AP

My dad when he divorced my mom, moved to Shadow Lake apartments.  This was like in the mid 90's. I thought that place was heaven.  The swimming pool, the lake, the peace and quiet. It was a goal of mine to one day get an apartment day when I got older.

Last year, after moving to NY and deciding I didn't like the cold as much as I thought I did lol, I decided to move back to LR and lo and behold there was an opening at shadow lake. A lake front 2 bed room. Man the first night there I have never been happier to actually fufill a real dream.

3 months later my NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOOR GETS SHOT AND KILLED. Literally, the next apartment from mine, it was the night Texas A and M beat arkansas last year about 3am. I was outside with my fiancee and heard it.,

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/sep/18/man-shot-and-killed-west-little-rock-apartment-com/

the bottom far right was my apartment. The guy who was killed was one more  further right (the image doesn't show the apartment where the shooting happened)

We packed our darn and moved the next week. I'll come back for games but that's it.

There is no white flight anymore. The problem is Heroin.  It's hit arkansas in full force.   It's hit the burbs. It's hit the ghetto.  it's extremely high profit margin and you are dealing with a client base that literally will die if they don't get it. A nurse I used to date is now a full blown herion addict. She's from Bryant.  Lived there her whole life.  Now she's homeless.

The people causing the problem do not live on Gang st. They live in Benton.  It doesn't matter where you live anymore. 

Even if you could move away from where the drug is being used, the things the people who need the drug are willing to do to get it, will make them come to you.. getting from south west to Chanel ain't nothing but a 1.75 bus pass away lol.

And it's not a drug like crack or meth where you can look at someone and tell they are on it.  If they have a stable supply of it it's indistinguishable form a normal person.

I mean, I've seen some stuff. Hell i've done some stuff. I've never seen anything like this.  They need to stop [CENSORED] around and cleaning up the city, start with a needle exchange program, make rehab more accessible.  There is only one half decent rehab in little rock that is not 20k a month.
I actually remember this. Shadow lakes was (may still be) owned by Bell properties. I lived in their other property, turtle creek which is a couple news stories away from being in the same boat as shadow lake
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hawganatic

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 10, 2017, 10:34:27 am
I actually remember this. Shadow lakes was (may still be) owned by Bell properties. I lived in their other property, turtle creek which is a couple news stories away from being in the same boat as shadow lake

Wow, just read the article.  The shooting was in apartment 269.  My old apartment was 268.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 10, 2017, 10:25:21 am
I had a side job as a delivery driver a couple years ago and I always hated making deliveries over in that area. Especially when it got late
Wow, that gives me shivers thinking about that now.

You may be consider yourself lucky to come from that job unscathed.

tusksincolorado

Wow...I just didn't think that things had gotten that bad in WLR!  ??? ::) :'(
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Richard Davenport

Quote from: jbcarol on July 07, 2017, 02:53:56 pm
https://twitter.com/ArRecruitingGuy/status/882849625496997888

https://twitter.com/ParkviewLr/status/882869979166773249

https://twitter.com/ParkviewLr/status/882870435171454977

Bolding should know.

I was talking to a coach with connections to a 3A school and he coached some in the LR district. The 3A school's football budget was six times that of the LR HS he was coaching.

The facilities were ok 15-20 years ago, but facilities around the state have gotten way better and LR has stayed the same.

What Moody has done at McClellan is a miracle. Imagine what he could do with a budget and facilities.

hobhog

Quote from: Richard Davenport on July 11, 2017, 11:19:53 am
Bolding should know.

I was talking to a coach with connections to a 3A school and he coached some in the LR district. The 3A school's football budget was six times that of the LR HS he was coaching.

The facilities were ok 15-20 years ago, but facilities around the state have gotten way better and LR has stayed the same.

What Moody has done at McClellan is a miracle. Imagine what he could do with a budget and facilities.

And yet LR public programs wallow in bickering and grandstanding. Where are the leaders of these schools/neighborhoods  with the commonsense and kids first attitude? Where is the parent backlash?

It is non existent. That's why private schools excell and public schools flounder like big government.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

AR Democrat-Gazette‏Verified account @ArkansasOnline 4h4 hours ago

Football for 6th-graders to restart in the Little Rock School District. Read why school officials made the push:
http://arkdg.link/mento7156

Fitz Hill and Marcus Elliott step up
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on August 03, 2017, 02:55:14 pm
https://twitter.com/MichaelPoore1/status/893143576967864321

Richard Davenport‏ @ArRecruitingGuy 15h15 hours ago

Richard Davenport Retweeted Michael Poore

Proud to say the @ArkansasOnline is involved, but it all starts with a superintendent who understands the importance of athletics.

jbcarol

Fitzgerald Hill‏ @fitzhill 14h14 hours ago

Join our efforts in supporting academics through athletics.  You can't learn if you aren't in school. We need volunteer coaches & mentors.

jkstock04

I was born at Doctor's Hospital. First lived on Gang st off Roosevelt. Moved to John Barrow area when I was 5 or so, then when my mother graduated from UALR we moved to cherry creek off Bowman.

My dad when he divorced my mom, moved to Shadow Lake apartments.  This was like in the mid 90's. I thought that place was heaven.  The swimming pool, the lake, the peace and quiet. It was a goal of mine to one day get an apartment day when I got older.

Last year, after moving to NY and deciding I didn't like the cold as much as I thought I did lol, I decided to move back to LR and lo and behold there was an opening at shadow lake. A lake front 2 bed room. Man the first night there I have never been happier to actually fufill a real dream.

3 months later my NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOOR GETS SHOT AND KILLED. Literally, the next apartment from mine, it was the night Texas A and M beat arkansas last year about 3am. I was outside with my fiancee and heard it.,

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/sep/18/man-shot-and-killed-west-little-rock-apartment-com/

the bottom far right was my apartment. The guy who was killed was one more  further right (the image doesn't show the apartment where the shooting happened)

We packed our darn and moved the next week. I'll come back for games but that's it.

There is no white flight anymore. The problem is Heroin.  It's hit arkansas in full force.   It's hit the burbs. It's hit the ghetto.  it's extremely high profit margin and you are dealing with a client base that literally will die if they don't get it. A nurse I used to date is now a full blown herion addict. She's from Bryant.  Lived there her whole life.  Now she's homeless.

The people causing the problem do not live on Gang st. They live in Benton.  It doesn't matter where you live anymore. 

Even if you could move away from where the drug is being used, the things the people who need the drug are willing to do to get it, will make them come to you.. getting from south west to Chanel ain't nothing but a 1.75 bus pass away lol.

And it's not a drug like crack or meth where you can look at someone and tell they are on it.  If they have a stable supply of it it's indistinguishable form a normal person.

I mean, I've seen some stuff. Hell i've done some stuff. I've never seen anything like this.  They need to stop [CENSORED] around and cleaning up the city, start with a needle exchange program, make rehab more accessible.  There is only one half decent rehab in little rock that is not 20k a month.
Pretty eye opening and ominous post.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Richard Davenport

Quote from: jbcarol on August 04, 2017, 01:54:20 pm
Richard Davenport‏ @ArRecruitingGuy 15h15 hours ago

Richard Davenport Retweeted Michael Poore

Proud to say the @ArkansasOnline is involved, but it all starts with a superintendent who understands the importance of athletics.

This has been the problem for numerous years until Mr. Poore showed up. Being from NWA, he gets it.

OLDHOG

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 08, 2017, 11:16:07 pm
John Walker is too busy getting rich filing race-baiting lawsuits.

One incident alone proves what he's mostly about. Last summer he and an associate were filming some police officers going about their business. There was a mixture of black and white officers. The filmmakers were warned to back off, but persisted. Eventually they were arrested. Long story short, the charges were dropped. Walker wanted to file a complaint. But get this: he didn't want to complain against the black officers, only the white ones. Even though all the officers were in the same boat concerning what was going on.

Walker represents much of what is wrong in LR. Not really looking for solutions per se, mainly looking to keep turmoil stirred up.

I find it preposterous that the same desegregation lawsuit has existed in some form for literally 35 years. How can anything persist for 35 years? And people wonder why so many have thrown up their hands and moved away.
+1.

311Hog

And by heroin he also means Oxycontin.  I have done and seen some things as well, so i am not looking or expecting white picket fences, but our country and it's people is being hollowed from the inside by "legal" drugs.....

sickboy

My mother was probably one of your teachers. She taught at Fuller for 35 years and would help out at Mills. Her name was Mrs. Powell. I used to get off school and my "day care" was sitting in my mother's class grading her papers at the end of each day. I have fond memories of that place, but it could be because I didn't attend Fuller or Mills. My mother was always complaining about the school district and the bureaucracy.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: presidenthog on July 08, 2017, 04:20:50 am
You do not produce good football players from ditching middle school football.
Ding! Ding! Ding! I was just thinking the same thing. If nothing else that puts the kids behind. Texas starts football at the age of 5 and continues until the kid decides to stop playing or can't go any further. Not saying we should start playing at 5 in Arkansas because in my opinion that is way too young. But I do believe we should start playing at the age of 7 and so forth.

But no, ditching middle school football is not the answer. More financial resources and support and more parental or guardian support is the answer on any level. More the more parents and guardians put the kids in sports the more numbers and the more chance for success. Sacrifice and Participation is the key
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

August 18, 2017, 09:32:03 am #66 Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:01:17 am by Youngsta71701
Quote from: biglewhog77 on July 08, 2017, 07:49:40 am

Middle school football in Little Rock is horrible the little league teams play against better teams and they travel out town and play teams that's good. You can't play in 6th grade so a lot of the kids play until they go to 8th grade some of them still in age range to play little league and the middle school coaches threating them with if you don't play football you play other sports in the school
They don't have 6th grade football in central Arkansas? Even in south Arkansas the kids play 3rd & 4th grade football, 5th & 6th grade football and then they start playing for the school in the 7th grade. Once they start playing don't stop until they choose to or they can't go any further.

6th grade is the perfect time for them to start being influenced by the streets and negativity. They need to be doing something constructive and positive in and for the community.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: tusksincolorado on July 08, 2017, 03:42:53 pm
I have some ex-friends that still reside in the "upper Heights"....They always thought that living next to LRCC was their ultimate nirvana. Just wondering how they feel about their little precious homestead next to the Country Club today? Location, Location, Location....right!
Some things you just can't run from. Sometimes it's just better to face it head on in a place or environment you're familiar with. It usually ends up better that way. No matter where you live trouble is always around the corner or even next door.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 08, 2017, 11:16:07 pm
John Walker is too busy getting rich filing race-baiting lawsuits.

One incident alone proves what he's mostly about. Last summer he and an associate were filming some police officers going about their business. There was a mixture of black and white officers. The filmmakers were warned to back off, but persisted. Eventually they were arrested. Long story short, the charges were dropped. Walker wanted to file a complaint. But get this: he didn't want to complain against the black officers, only the white ones. Even though all the officers were in the same boat concerning what was going on.

Walker represents much of what is wrong in LR. Not really looking for solutions per se, mainly looking to keep turmoil stirred up.

I find it preposterous that the same desegregation lawsuit has existed in some form for literally 35 years. How can anything persist for 35 years? And people wonder why so many have thrown up their hands and moved away.

Pulaski County was gutted of many well-off tax payers at least partially due to crime rates and forced busing of children. My sister moved out of the edge of Pulaski County into Lonoke County for multiple reasons, not the least of which was she didn't want her son bused 45 minutes into downtown Little Rock for school.

This is my non-signature signature.

songofthesword

Dude Ms Powell is your mom hell yes I remember her lol she wasn't my teacher but I remember her. At filler.geat teacher  who commanded respect from everyone

Qmy ex who does heroin startee out with roxys. She died three weeks ago not long after I made this post. If you're in your early thirties and from Bryant u probably knew her.

If u were in apartment 268 u know exactly where o was out on the patio on the building to the left on the lake. darn I'm the one who called it in my

When I realized I couldn't go any further west in little rock and be safe I left

Sherwood is still a good area

songofthesword

I mean I live in long beach now
The crime here makes little rock look like pre school. But there is darn to do that compensates for it. U put up with ms13 but u can go to an angels game or the beach. In lr it's Justin crime

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on August 18, 2017, 11:15:06 am
Pulaski County was gutted of many well-off tax payers at least partially due to crime rates and forced busing of children. My sister moved out of the edge of Pulaski County into Lonoke County for multiple reasons, not the least of which was she didn't want her son bused 45 minutes into downtown Little Rock for school.
Yea, the schools are still always involved in turmoil and drama, but at least they're not doing that anymore.
You're right, that's one of the main things that drove the mass exodus in the 90s to Conway, Cabot, Benton, and Bryant.

RealHog

Quote from: bigalphahawg on July 09, 2017, 09:02:10 am
Logic. I have lived in or around LR my entire life. It has plenty of issues, but it is not even close to being a cesspool.

Yeah ALOT of LR bashing here. Yes there are bad areas and civic issues but there are plenty of positives too. I think things are headed in the right direction overall.

RealHog

Quote from: AP85 on July 10, 2017, 10:04:19 am
The city should start by demolishing every single apartment complex in the city. They all end up housing section 8 in the end.

Wow, yes that would be of course be the optimal solution. A lot of vitriol here.

RealHog

Great post, and I see how that was shocking and scary. My wife and I lived in Shadow Lake on the lake for 3 years and had zero issues, and loved it. Great location, reasonable price, management always worked with us, quick repairs. Just trying to say some nice things in this thread instead of "let's just burn down LR and start over".

sickboy

Quote from: songofthesword on August 19, 2017, 02:58:31 am
Dude Ms Powell is your mom hell yes I remember her lol she wasn't my teacher but I remember her. At filler.geat teacher  who commanded respect from everyone

Qmy ex who does heroin startee out with roxys. She died three weeks ago not long after I made this post. If you're in your early thirties and from Bryant u probably knew her.

If u were in apartment 268 u know exactly where o was out on the patio on the building to the left on the lake. darn I'm the one who called it in my

When I realized I couldn't go any further west in little rock and be safe I left

Sherwood is still a good area

Yep. That's my mom. She retired about six-seven years ago. I grew up in North Little Rock, so don't know your ex, but I'm sorry to hear that. Addiction is an awful beast.

I've been in L.A. for about twelve years now. So, I'm not far from you in Long Beach. Small world, indeed.