Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruiting in Little Rock - Bo Mattingly article

Started by redleg, July 06, 2017, 08:26:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

There is an article by Bo Mattingly on wholehogsports.com that talks about football recruiting in Little Rock, and includes commentary by Bill Ingram and Keith Jackson. A very good read, but I think they left something out. I think football has been de-valued in Pulaski County, especially the LRSD, because of financial reasons. It's easier to pay for 10-20 players per team and a gym with a court, than it is to pay for 70-100 players per team and a field, stadium, equipment, etc. With all of the financial troubles the LRSD has had over the last decade, not to mention the whole bussing students and de-segregation debacle that was not handled well at all, and there is yet another reason why football sucks in the Little Rock School District.
It's a good article.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/jul/06/why-little-rock-low-football-talent/
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

AirWarren

nwahogfan1

Yes thanks.

It would get kids off the streets and out of gangs if they would put money and priorities in football. 
Many athletes need structure and the discipline football brings. Let's hope they wake up down there.

ricepig

Quote from: AP85 on July 06, 2017, 09:15:17 am
Thank you Bo for an original article.

Bo's like the SEC, "It just means more" when he repeats a topic of 5-7 years old, lol.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

LRHawg

I'd have to agree with Ingram as well. Athletic kids that would have made 3-4* receivers are either not in sports or are playing basketball. Justice Hill would probably be a 4* football recruit if he'd spent the equivalent amount of time playing Fball as BBall.

After the recent outbreak of violence here, I think it's more evident than ever that we need to refocus on getting kids into sports programs.

jbhogfan4

It is a shame that Little Rock schools are such a mess, as they could undoubtedly produce more SEC football talent than they do. The athletes that do participate, choose basketball, as it is king.

Little Rock and Memphis public schools are just about in the same boat. Very unfortunate, as both cities should really produce some talent that could be taken advantage of by the Hogs

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbhogfan4 on July 06, 2017, 04:47:20 pm
It is a shame that Little Rock schools are such a mess, as they could undoubtedly produce more SEC football talent than they do. The athletes that do participate, choose basketball, as it is king.

Little Rock and Memphis public schools are just about in the same boat. Very unfortunate, as both cities should really produce some talent that could be taken advantage of by the Hogs

Memphis and the surrounding area does produce a decent number of talented football players. Arkansas has managed to get some of them as well. Schools do have to avoid some recruiting "landmines" in Memphis though.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbhogfan4

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 06, 2017, 11:16:13 pm
Memphis and the surrounding area does produce a decent number of talented football players. Arkansas has managed to get some of them as well. Schools do have to avoid some recruiting "landmines" in Memphis though.

Yes memphis produces a few every year, but given its size you would think it could produce more

sowmonella

Quote from: jbhogfan4 on July 06, 2017, 04:47:20 pm

At least LR has some decent elementary and middle schools. Memphis is like Gary, Indiana.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

onebadrubi

I've said it before here and I'll say it again.  My opinion is not popular among administrations getting involved in this topic currrently but I fully believe it is more of the truth.

1) Football is more expensive on the household than basketball
2)  Football is more stessfull and dependent on others in the household (I.E a mother or sig other getting them to practices.
3) a young boy bored in the summer and getting interested in both sports and can easily walk to a rec center or local basketball goal and play or shoot around or get in a pick up game.  Go to a rec center in the summer, you don't see pick up games of football. So especially the demographcis being discussed in this topic, it's just easier for them to be attracted to basketball earlier.  Now this goes on to also say a 10 year old really excelling will also start to have AAU dumbies getting in their ears or their sig others ears or worse ($).  Basketball has more corruption in my opinion at a younger age than football.  It is very attractive to the demographics being discussed.
4) a football game and practice is just longer
5) Football is more time demanding and physically demanding
6) it doesn't help this topic with all of the dangers of football being discussed so much lately.

I think facilities and needing a texas type football stadium is soooooo far down the list, but we are dealing with politicians early on in their political careers.

Andrew Hogfan

I think it's cool Parkview responded. I wish the other schools in the LRSD would as well.
WPS!!!

AirWarren

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on July 07, 2017, 08:18:41 pm
I think it's cool Parkview responded. I wish the other schools in the LRSD would as well.

Parkview responded because they have a coach who can coach.

Hall, McCllellen who even knows if they have a coach. The lions had a good  run two years ago. Central needs to get rid of scooter and get a young coach to get in there and yank the athletes out of the halls. You can't tell me Central doesn't have to talent to beat top 7a teams.

biglewhog77

I will like to say this and it might affend some people. Why Little Rock highschool football sucks after little league football it's a big drop off in football. Middle school football sucks and it needs to be taking out of schools. High school football need to have real coaches not the drama teacher trying to get overtime and decide to coach football to make extra money. The high school coaches in Little Rock don't get to pick there staff so all the coaches stabbing each other in the back. Then you might have coach at Central traveling over to JA Fair to coach football there. What they need to do is drop football in middle school and let coaches pick there staff with people that they know that can coach football. It's also to many high schools in Little Rock. They make should make three high schools basketball schools and make three high schools football schools. Only way we going to win if central Arkansas football is good not northwest Arkansas. We need those inner city kids

presidenthog

Quote from: biglewhog77 on July 07, 2017, 10:28:02 pm
I will like to say this and it might affend some people. Why Little Rock highschool football sucks after little league football it's a big drop off in football. Middle school football sucks and it needs to be taking out of schools. High school football need to have real coaches not the drama teacher trying to get overtime and decide to coach football to make extra money. The high school coaches in Little Rock don't get to pick there staff so all the coaches stabbing each other in the back. Then you might have coach at Central traveling over to JA Fair to coach football there. What they need to do is drop football in middle school and let coaches pick there staff with people that they know that can coach football. It's also to many high schools in Little Rock. They make should make three high schools basketball schools and make three high schools football schools. Only way we going to win if central Arkansas football is good not northwest Arkansas. We need those inner city kids

You do not produce good football players from ditching middle school football.

biglewhog77

Quote from: presidenthog on July 08, 2017, 04:20:50 am
You do not produce good football players from ditching middle school football.

Middle school football in Little Rock is horrible the little league teams play against better teams and they travel out town and play teams that's good. You can't play in 6th grade so a lot of the kids play until they go to 8th grade some of them still in age range to play little league and the middle school coaches threating them with if you don't play football you play other sports in the school

tusksincolorado

Problem with LR is no spirit of "community". A city the size of LR should have tremendous civic and community pride. But decades of unrest, crime, racism, separatism, wrapped in hate has doomed the city, that I was born and raised, to the decaying cesspool it is today.

LR has become the epitome of "have" and "have not".

I remember the Tigers, Warriors, Rockets, and Wildcats dominated the high school sports scene. But now, it is NWA and smaller communities who have pride and civic spirit that will continue to dominate the Arkansas high school sport scene.

It broke my heart when I recently read that LR was ranked #9, out of #50, of the worst places to live in the United States.

Come on LR...you can do so much better! Break the "decaying old Southern City" mode and show how wonderful you can be!

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

tophawg19

the money the kids can make dealing in drugs with little risk  is also an issue  . they don't see the need for education or college . Gang memberships also don't encourage sports . Why go out and run and work hard when you can sit back with money playing x-box in the A/c . Girls aren't as crazy about athletes as they used to be either .These kids have access ro easy money, nice cars , parties ETC so they are not interested in football. If they want a sport , they can play pick up basketball or baseball without all the work and not having a coach driving you and chewing your butt. No one making you go to school or worrying about grades . It's a bad cycle and tough to break. It's hard to tell a poor kid that it's not ok to make 3 or 4 hundred a day, not when Mom is working at 7-11 or McDonalds for 8 or 9 bucks an hour an his college grad friends are only making 8 or 9 hundred a week
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

AirWarren

Quote from: tusksincolorado on July 08, 2017, 08:35:07 am
Problem with LR is no spirit of "community". A city the size of LR should have tremendous civic and community pride. But decades of unrest, crime, racism, separatism, wrapped in hate has doomed the city, that I was born and raised, to the decaying cesspool it is today.

I remember the Tigers, Warriors, Rockets, and Wildcats dominated the high school sports scene. But now, it is NWA and smaller communities who have pride and civic spirit that will continue to dominate the Arkansas high school sport scene.

It broke my heart when I recently read that LR was ranked #9, out of #50, of the worst places to live in the United States.

Come on LR...you can do so much better! Break the "decaying old Southern City" mode and show how wonderful you can be!

It won't happen. Too many racist "activist" keep the city divided.

hawgbawb

Quote from: tusksincolorado on July 08, 2017, 08:35:07 am

Yep. Little Rock is Old South. I also grew up there and when I return to visit it is sad. They are getting left behind in many ways.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

ricepig

Quote from: AP85 on July 08, 2017, 10:35:56 am
It won't happen. Too many racist "activist" keep the city divided.

A friend is the judge on these new trials, and closing down the previous one. I saw him at the Farmer's Market the other day here in Jonesboro and asked him why anyone would want to mess with that cesspool, he didn't have a great answer.

Inhogswetrust

July 08, 2017, 11:31:44 am #22 Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 03:53:20 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: hawgbawb on July 08, 2017, 11:17:03 am
Yep. Little Rock is Old South. I also grew up there and when I return to visit it is sad. They are getting left behind in many ways.

As are cities in other places besides the "old" south. In many ways correct, but there are also different definitions of "left behind".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on July 08, 2017, 11:23:04 am
A friend is the judge on these new trials, and closing down the previous one. I saw him at the Farmer's Market the other day here in Jonesboro and asked him why anyone would want to mess with that cesspool, he didn't have a great answer.

I love Little Rock. Best hospitals. Good jobs. The river, the base of the ouachitas in west Pulaski.

But I just work there. You couldn't pay me to live there. There is no fixing it. Look at places like Detroit. Memphis. Newark. People aren't  going to change.

All it I'll take is several armed robberies in "chenal" and white flight will take its course.

Inhogswetrust

July 08, 2017, 11:42:47 am #24 Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 12:49:00 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: AP85 on July 08, 2017, 11:36:51 am
I love Little Rock. Best hospitals. Good jobs. The river, the base of the ouachitas in west Pulaski.

But I just work there. You couldn't pay me to live there. There is no fixing it. Look at places like Detroit. Memphis. Newark. People aren't  going to change.

All it I'll take is several armed robberies in "chenal" and white flight will take its course.

ANY large city has good and bad areas and good and bad things about them. Some moreso than others, but LR is still better than those others you mentioned. I live right outside one of them..............Memphis. Twenty years ago when I got married and moved here I wouldn't consider going downtown at night. Now No problem. Heck out daughter lives downtown. Are there areas I stay out of, of course. That's true of ANY city I've visited. One has to know or familiarize themselves with where they are or or visiting.

AirWarren

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 08, 2017, 11:42:47 am
ANY large city has good and bad areas and good and bad things about them. Some moreso than others, but LR is still better than those others you mentioned.

I agree.

HognitiveDissonance

Look at the big picture.
There has been constant turmoil in one way or another for the last 50 years in LR.
Do you see it changing?
I don't.

It's beyond ridiculous and there's no end in sight.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 08, 2017, 12:33:13 pm
Look at the big picture.
There has been constant turmoil in one way or another for the last 50 years in LR.
Do you see it changing?
I don't.

It's beyond ridiculous and there's no end in sight.

Once again true of ANY large city and certain areas in them.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 08, 2017, 12:49:42 pm
Once again true of ANY large city and certain areas in them.

Trust...I agree, but LR is not a large city. What's the population? 185K?

tusksincolorado

White flight occurred several years ago...which is why Conway, Cabot, Maumelle, and Bryant/Bauxite grew to the size they have become today.

Something happens in Chenel....well Perryville may need to expand their roads and utilities!

hawgbawb

Quote from: tusksincolorado on July 08, 2017, 02:32:02 pm
White flight occurred several years ago...which is why Conway, Cabot, Maumelle, and Bryant/Bauxite grew to the size they have become today.

Something happens in Chenel....well Perryville may need to expand their roads and utilities!

The whole suburban white flight thing has been terrible for Little Rock and many other cities. Abandoning the older neighborhoods is the easy way out, but bad for the community. What results is hollowed-out cities, slums, food deserts, sprawling automobile-dependent cities, high crime rates, crumbling infrastructure, bad schools, etc.     
I post, therefor I am.

Richard Davenport

Superintendent Mike Poore comes from NWA and understands the importance of athletics. The LR district hasn't had a superintendent in a long time that was pro-athletics.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: hawgbawb on July 08, 2017, 02:37:13 pm
The whole suburban white flight thing has been terrible for Little Rock and many other cities. Abandoning the older neighborhoods is the easy way out, but bad for the community. What results is hollowed-out cities, slums, food deserts, sprawling automobile-dependent cities, high crime rates, crumbling infrastructure, bad schools, etc.     

I have some ex-friends that still reside in the "upper Heights"....They always thought that living next to LRCC was their ultimate nirvana. Just wondering how they feel about their little precious homestead next to the Country Club today? Location, Location, Location....right!

AirWarren

Quote from: hawgbawb on July 08, 2017, 02:37:13 pm

Why would they stay if the are getting robbed, mugged, property value plummeting? Benton and Bryant folks just go to Little Rock now to work. They have the shopping. The eateries. Same for Conway. Maumelle is a great area but still relies on shopping and food in Little Rock.

I grew up in Warren. We all went to the same schools since pre k. Went to the same churches. Knew everyone and everyone knew each other's parents. Strong COMMUNITY. White, black, brown. Little Rock and larger metro area lack that.

The metro area encompasses over 750k people. No way it could ever be perfect.

AirWarren

Quote from: Richard Davenport on July 08, 2017, 02:39:23 pm
Superintendent Mike Poore comes from NWA and understands the importance of athletics. The LR district hasn't had a superintendent in a long time that was pro-athletics.

Hopefully he sticks around.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tusksincolorado on July 08, 2017, 02:22:37 pm
Trust...I agree, but LR is not a large city. What's the population? 185K?

Not sure but it is a metro area. Usually when talking about a city such as LR one sometimes means the metro area. But even if not in this instance there are still good areas in LR and the heights you mentioned is still considered one of them. I have a friend that lives in Chenal and had his car stolen off his property but he isn't moving.

hawgbawb

Quote from: AP85 on July 08, 2017, 03:52:53 pm
Why would they stay if the are getting robbed, mugged, property value plummeting? Benton and Bryant folks just go to Little Rock now to work. They have the shopping. The eateries. Same for Conway. Maumelle is a great area but still relies on shopping and food in Little Rock.

I grew up in Warren. We all went to the same schools since pre k. Went to the same churches. Knew everyone and everyone knew each other's parents. Strong COMMUNITY. White, black, brown. Little Rock and larger metro area lack that.

The metro area encompasses over 750k people. No way it could ever be perfect.
The way you describe Warren is how Little Rock would be, just on a larger scale, if people had stayed in place and cared about their neighborhoods.
I post, therefor I am.

hawgbawb

Quote from: tusksincolorado on July 08, 2017, 03:42:53 pm
I have some ex-friends that still reside in the "upper Heights"....They always thought that living next to LRCC was their ultimate nirvana. Just wondering how they feel about their little precious homestead next to the Country Club today? Location, Location, Location....right!
I have two sisters living in the Heights. In many ways it is probably the best neighborhood in Little Rock, but it is not very diverse. Too many people living their are old money/old south.
I post, therefor I am.

AirWarren

Quote from: hawgbawb on July 08, 2017, 04:26:56 pm
The way you describe Warren is how Little Rock would be, just on a larger scale, if people had stayed in place and cared about their neighborhoods.

No it wouldn't. There just as many minorities with chips on their shoulders toward the white population that just as well we're happy to see them leave their neighborhoods.

hobhog

Quote from: tusksincolorado on July 08, 2017, 03:42:53 pm

I love it - and don't have any "ex friends".

The problem with LRSD isn't the Heights, Hillcrest or west Little Rock. It's the lack of black leadership. Too angry and pointing fingers to pay attention to their inner city neighborhoods falling in on themselves. Where are judge Griffin and John Walker when needed?

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hobhog on July 08, 2017, 09:51:34 pm
I love it - and don't have any "ex friends".

The problem with LRSD isn't the Heights, Hillcrest or west Little Rock. It's the lack of black leadership. Too angry and pointing fingers to pay attention to their inner city neighborhoods falling in on themselves. Where are judge Griffin and John Walker when needed?
John Walker is too busy getting rich filing race-baiting lawsuits.

One incident alone proves what he's mostly about. Last summer he and an associate were filming some police officers going about their business. There was a mixture of black and white officers. The filmmakers were warned to back off, but persisted. Eventually they were arrested. Long story short, the charges were dropped. Walker wanted to file a complaint. But get this: he didn't want to complain against the black officers, only the white ones. Even though all the officers were in the same boat concerning what was going on.

Walker represents much of what is wrong in LR. Not really looking for solutions per se, mainly looking to keep turmoil stirred up.

I find it preposterous that the same desegregation lawsuit has existed in some form for literally 35 years. How can anything persist for 35 years? And people wonder why so many have thrown up their hands and moved away.

LRHawg

Quote from: AP85 on July 08, 2017, 03:52:53 pm
Maumelle is a great area but still relies on shopping and food in Little Rock.

Maumelle is a good, not great area, that could be great with proper management. Sadly, Don't see that coming any time soon, but hey, we have a Chil Fil A being built!

SRV

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 08, 2017, 11:42:47 am
ANY large city has good and bad areas and good and bad things about them. Some moreso than others, but LR is still better than those others you mentioned. I live right outside one of them..............Memphis. Twenty years ago when I got married and moved here I wouldn't consider going downtown at night. Now No problem. Heck out daughter lives downtown. Are there areas I stay out of, of course. That's true of ANY city I've visited. One has to know or familiarize themselves with where they are or or visiting.
Logic. I have lived in or around LR my entire life. It has plenty of issues, but it is not even close to being a cesspool.
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

SRV

What LR needs is leaders that are more interested in fixing the issues and less concerned about political correctness. Political leaders, school board and community leaders.
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

hobhog

Quote from: bigalphahawg on July 09, 2017, 09:07:49 am
What LR needs is leaders that are more interested in fixing the issues and less concerned about political correctness. Political leaders, school board and community leaders.

Read Rex Nelsons editorial in ADG today. Nails it.

holeinthewall

Quote from: tusksincolorado on July 08, 2017, 02:32:02 pm

Conway and now Bryant are just becoming an extension of Little Rock with the problems.

songofthesword

I was born at Doctor's Hospital. First lived on Gang st off Roosevelt. Moved to John Barrow area when I was 5 or so, then when my mother graduated from UALR we moved to cherry creek off Bowman.

I went to school at Fuller all the way through Mills because I was in TAG / AP

My dad when he divorced my mom, moved to Shadow Lake apartments.  This was like in the mid 90's. I thought that place was heaven.  The swimming pool, the lake, the peace and quiet. It was a goal of mine to one day get an apartment day when I got older.

Last year, after moving to NY and deciding I didn't like the cold as much as I thought I did lol, I decided to move back to LR and lo and behold there was an opening at shadow lake. A lake front 2 bed room. Man the first night there I have never been happier to actually fufill a real dream.

3 months later my NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOOR GETS SHOT AND KILLED. Literally, the next apartment from mine, it was the night Texas A and M beat arkansas last year about 3am. I was outside with my fiancee and heard it.,

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/sep/18/man-shot-and-killed-west-little-rock-apartment-com/

the bottom far right was my apartment. The guy who was killed was one more  further right (the image doesn't show the apartment where the shooting happened)

We packed our darn and moved the next week. I'll come back for games but that's it.

There is no white flight anymore. The problem is Heroin.  It's hit arkansas in full force.   It's hit the burbs. It's hit the ghetto.  it's extremely high profit margin and you are dealing with a client base that literally will die if they don't get it. A nurse I used to date is now a full blown herion addict. She's from Bryant.  Lived there her whole life.  Now she's homeless.

The people causing the problem do not live on Gang st. They live in Benton.  It doesn't matter where you live anymore. 

Even if you could move away from where the drug is being used, the things the people who need the drug are willing to do to get it, will make them come to you.. getting from south west to Chanel ain't nothing but a 1.75 bus pass away lol.

And it's not a drug like crack or meth where you can look at someone and tell they are on it.  If they have a stable supply of it it's indistinguishable form a normal person.

I mean, I've seen some stuff. Hell i've done some stuff. I've never seen anything like this.  They need to stop [CENSORED] around and cleaning up the city, start with a needle exchange program, make rehab more accessible.  There is only one half decent rehab in little rock that is not 20k a month.

hawganatic

Quote from: songofthesword on July 09, 2017, 09:48:54 pm

Last year, after moving to NY and deciding I didn't like the cold as much as I thought I did lol, I decided to move back to LR and lo and behold there was an opening at shadow lake. A lake front 2 bed room. Man the first night there I have never been happier to actually fufill a real dream.

3 months later my NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOOR GETS SHOT AND KILLED. Literally, the next apartment from mine, it was the night Texas A and M beat arkansas last year about 3am. I was outside with my fiancee and heard it.,

I lived in Shadow Lake for about a year and a half.  First nine months was fine and re-upped my lease for another nine months.  After that my car was broken in to, somebody tried to break into my apartment while I was home, and one of my neighbors (who had severe mental issues) threatened to pull a gun on me.  About three weeks after I moved out a cop shot and killed a 16-year-old kid who was rolling through the parking lot breaking into cars.   I've lived in Little Rock for most of my life and never had any issues like this.

Little Rock is like any other city.  You have to be careful where you live, and do your research up front.  There are plenty of safe places (relative to the area) to live.  Shadow Lake is a cesspool and should be avoided.

AirWarren

The city should start by demolishing every single apartment complex in the city. They all end up housing section 8 in the end.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: hawganatic on July 10, 2017, 09:53:05 am
I lived in Shadow Lake for about a year and a half.  First nine months was fine and re-upped my lease for another nine months.  After that my car was broken in to, somebody tried to break into my apartment while I was home, and one of my neighbors (who had severe mental issues) threatened to pull a gun on me.  About three weeks after I moved out a cop shot and killed a 16-year-old kid who was rolling through the parking lot breaking into cars.   I've lived in Little Rock for most of my life and never had any issues like this.

Little Rock is like any other city.  You have to be careful where you live, and do your research up front.  There are plenty of safe places (relative to the area) to live.  Shadow Lake is a cesspool and should be avoided.
I had a side job as a delivery driver a couple years ago and I always hated making deliveries over in that area. Especially when it got late
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.