Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Orlando Sentinel Top 130

Started by Seminole Indian, May 22, 2017, 12:53:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

May 22, 2017, 12:53:50 pm Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:22:18 am by Seminole Indian
I've always looked forward to their countdown, and while it may not reflect the actual rankings, it does IMO give a good impression of how a program is perceived, and there is no denying that the perception of A-States program has improved over the last few years( 2014 #67, 2015 #72, 2016: #65, 2017: #75 ).

Of interest is the rankings of the eleven FBS  teams on A-State's 2017 schedule (Bold with *):

#1 Ohio State
#2 Alabama
#3 Oklahoma
#4 Florida St
#5 Michigan
#6 Washington
#7 Clemson
#8 Wisconsin
#9 Auburn
#10 USC
#11 Louisville
#12 TCU
#13 Georgia
#14 Virginia Tech
#15 Penn St
#16 LSU
#17 Stanford
#18 Florida
#19 Oklahoma State
#20 Utah
#21 Notre Dame
#22 Tennessee
#23 Texas A&M
#24 Texas
#25 Miami
#26 Washington St
#27 BYU
#28 Kansas State
#29 Northwestern
#30 USF
#31 Oregon
#32 Arkansas
#33 Iowa
#34 West Virginia
#35 Arizona
#36 Kentucky
#37 *Nebraska
#38 NC State
#39 Arizona State
#40 Mississippi State
#41 Baylor
#42 South Carolina
#43 WKU
#44 Minnesota
#45 North Carolina
#46 UCLA
#47 Vanderbilt
#48 UCF
#49 Colorado
#50 Michigan St.
#51 Missouri
#52 San Diego St
#53 Memphis
#54 Ole Miss
#55 Maryland
#56 Houston
#57 Wyoming
#58 Toledo
#59 Navy
#60 La Tech
#61 Boise St
#62 Appalachian State
#63 Indiana
#64 Old Dominion
#65 Wake Forest
#66 California
#67 Tulsa
#68 *Troy
#69 Miami (Ohio)
#70 Boston College
#71 Texas Tech
#72 Army
#73 Middle Tenn
#74 Ball State
75 A-State
76 Syracuse
77 New Mexico
78 Georgia Tech
79 Western Michigan
80 Oregon St
81 Southern Miss
82 Pitt
83 UTSA
84 Nevada
85 Duke
86 Purdue
87. Northern Illinois
88. * Georgia Southern
89. Marshall
90. Eastern Michigan
91. Florida International
92. Virginia
93. Rutgers
94. Colorado State
95. Central Michigan
96. Hawaii
97. *SMU
98. Air Force
99. *Louisiana Monroe
100. North Texas
101. Ohio
102. East Carolina
103. San Jose State
104. Bowling Green
105. *South Alabama
106. Florida Atlantic
107. Tulane
108. *Louisiana Lafayette
109. Iowa State
110. Rice
111. Temple
112. *Idaho
113. UNLV
114. UTEP
115 *Coastal Carolina
116. Akron
117. Utah State
118. Cincinnati
119. Kansas
120. Illinois
121. UCONN
122. Kent State
123. Fresno State
124.*GA State
125. UMASS
126. Charlotte
127. *New Mexico State
128. Buffalo
129. *Texas State
130. UAB

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college-football-rankings/

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

holeinthewall

SMU improved a lot as the year went on in 16.  I think they are lower than they should be on there. If ASU plays like they did at the end of the year against UCF it is a winnable game. 

Seminole Indian

IMO the only two games A-State will not have the most talented team on the field is the two P5's. Not a huge advantage over a couple but an advantage.

Problem of A-State is their team simply does not show up for all 12 games a year, for whatever reason. Almost every team will have a game or two where they don't perform, A-State fans have come to count on 3 or 4 such games under Anderson,something he is trying hard to address. So until their players and coaches do otherwise, I expect they will lose to a couple of teams they out talent, and eight wins is a reasonable expectation for them in 2017.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

holeinthewall

May 27, 2017, 12:26:55 pm #3 Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 12:09:29 am by holeinthewall
92 Virginia
91 FIU
90 Eastern michigan
89 Marshall
88 Georgia Southern

Seminole Indian

Looks like a big part of the G5's are on the board already.

Again I like to look at this because it is a pretty good indication of how a program is viewed and it has been obvious for the last few seasons that A-States program is considered a very solid G5 program, which it actually is.

Seminole Indian

May 29, 2017, 06:31:57 am #5 Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 09:50:56 am by Seminole Indian
The addition of Georgia Southern makes 8 of the 12 teams, and all but one of the G5's on A-State's schedule. That leaves only G5 Troy, P5's Nebraska, and Miami and of course FCS UAPB, so that is a manageable schedule.

88 *Georgia Southern
97. *SMU
99. *Louisiana Monroe
105. *South Alabama
115 *Coastal Carolina
127. *New Mexico State
129. *Texas State

NA Troy (Playing them the last game of the year at home is a big plus)
NA UAPB ( A-State fans hope they don't have a repeat of the UCA game)
NA Nebraska (The early betting lines have Nebraska as 19 point favorite)
NA Miami ( Probably the best team on their schedule)

ricepig

Seminole Indian

holeinthewall

GT lost their QB but they are either a 8-9 win team or a losing season. They always beat a team they shouldn't bat on paper just because the other team can't stop that offense.

Seminole Indian

June 18, 2017, 11:11:40 am #9 Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:25:05 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Seminole Indian on May 29, 2017, 06:31:57 am
The addition of Georgia Southern makes 8 of the 12 teams, and all but one of the G5's on A-State's schedule. That leaves only G5 Troy, P5's Nebraska, and Miami and of course FCS UAPB, so that is a manageable schedule.
68 *Troy
88 *Georgia Southern
97. *SMU
99. *Louisiana Monroe
105. *South Alabama
115 *Coastal Carolina
127. *New Mexico State
129. *Texas State

NA UAPB ( A-State fans hope they don't have a repeat of the UCA game)
NA Nebraska (The early betting lines have Nebraska as 19 point favorite)
NA Miami ( Probably the best team on their schedule)

The addition of Troy makes 9 of the 12 teams, and all of the G5's on A-State's schedule. That leaves only P5's Nebraska, and Miami and of course FCS UAPB. Getting Troy at home for the last game of the year is a big plus for A-State.

holeinthewall

I would say Miami will be in the 15-20 range and Nebraska in the 35-40 range. 

Seminole Indian

Quote from: holeinthewall on July 12, 2017, 07:06:40 am

That looks about right to me.

holeinthewall

Quote from: holeinthewall on July 12, 2017, 07:06:40 am

Well I nailed the Nebraska ranking

Seminole Indian

25. Miami

The last of the FBS teams on A-State's schedule and a little lower than expected. If Miami is in fact barely a top 25 team, getting out of Jonesboro with a win is not the "given" I thought it would be.

Nebraska is a beatable team and their #37 ranking seems about right.

No doubt beating either is a huge challenge for any G5 team, but because the size, athleticism, and strength of their offensive and defensive lines,and the caliber of their "skill" players on both side of the ball, not an impossible one for this A-State team.

Getting Nebraska in the opener , and Miami in Jonesboro is a plus.

holeinthewall

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 31, 2017, 06:48:56 am
25. Miami

The last of the FBS teams on A-State's schedule and a little lower than expected. If Miami is in fact barely a top 25 team, getting out of Jonesboro with a win is not the "given" I thought it would be.

Nebraska is a beatable team and their #37 ranking seems about right.

No doubt beating either is a huge challenge for any G5 team, but because the size, athleticism, and strength of their offensive and defensive lines,and the caliber of their "skill" players on both side of the ball, not an impossible one for this A-State team.

Getting Nebraska in the opener , and Miami in Jonesboro is a plus.

The only weak spot Miami has is a new QB.  The defensive front 7 is as good as any in the country. 

Seminole Indian

That QB needs to have a very bad day in Jonesboro. I think as far as talent they are a lot better than #25.

holeinthewall

UiF at 17 LMAO.  Zook part deux in charge.   8 wins

Seminole Indian

Inadvertently deleted your post about TCU holeinthewall, but agree TCU appears to be a little overrated.

Seminole Indian

Seminole Indian

Sweet Feet

SMU is getting slept on. They are on an upward improvement. Went 2-10 in 2015 with coach's first season, 5-7 in his second year, including a 38-16 beatdown of Houston last season. I actually have SMU winning that game vs ASU

Seminole Indian

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Sweet Feet on August 22, 2017, 12:08:49 pm
SMU is getting slept on. They are on an upward improvement. Went 2-10 in 2015 with coach's first season, 5-7 in his second year, including a 38-16 beatdown of Houston last season. I actually have SMU winning that game vs ASU

I'm on the bubble, and waiting to see where A-State's OL is, and Anderson call plays.

A-State is the more talented team, especially on defense, and if their offense is clicking at all,their defense and special teams will probably be the difference.

Seminole Indian

holeinthewall

Seminole Indian

That would certainly unset the "happiest fans" , especially at their place.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Sweet Feet on August 22, 2017, 12:08:49 pm
Called it. Told everyone SMU is on the upswing.