Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

two new transfers that will have to sit a year

Started by flippinhogmana, May 16, 2017, 01:44:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 24, 2017, 08:39:47 am
She is more highly rated than Malik Monk was in high school so it hurts that she doesn't even list us but on the other hand it keeps us from wasting time when we never had a shot.

Didn't crush the men's team when Monk chose to go elsewhere and I think it will play out the same with this one. Besides, CMN is wasting no time getting some great talent in here at her position.

Also, part of her consideration is finding a place that is "Christian based". Not sure if she has noticed what goes on at Texas and Baylor.

Its not just getting them to stay instate.  Ruby Vaden, Jordan Danberry and JJ all were highly rated and stayed in state.  None of them fulfilled their potential because they lacked having decent coaches to help them develop. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 24, 2017, 08:39:47 am
She is more highly rated than Malik Monk was in high school so it hurts that she doesn't even list us but on the other hand it keeps us from wasting time when we never had a shot.

Didn't crush the men's team when Monk chose to go elsewhere and I think it will play out the same with this one. Besides, CMN is wasting no time getting some great talent in here at her position.

Also, part of her consideration is finding a place that is "Christian based". Not sure if she has noticed what goes on at Texas and Baylor.
The irony is very thick that some of the worst scandals in collegiate athletics have occurred at 'church' schools. SMU death penalty, Baylor is a cesspool with multiple scandals over the past 15 years. TCU was whacked hard by the NCAA in the 80s. One could go on and on.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: flippinhogmana on May 24, 2017, 10:30:41 am
Its not just getting them to stay instate.  Ruby Vaden, Jordan Danberry and JJ all were highly rated and stayed in state.  None of them fulfilled their potential because they lacked having decent coaches to help them develop.

True. I think CMN will do much better in this regard.
Hogs up! Covid down!

flippinhogmana

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on May 24, 2017, 10:42:58 am
The irony is very thick that some of the worst scandals in collegiate athletics have occurred at 'church' schools. SMU death penalty, Baylor is a cesspool with multiple scandals over the past 15 years. TCU was whacked hard by the NCAA in the 80s. One could go on and on.

That is true Fine, but then Baylor, TCU, SMU and the like are hardly church schools anymore.  Harvard, Yale and almost all of the Ivy League schools were started as divinity schools as well, which they are hardly anymore either. 

I would say this, it is not the outward appearance, nor any rituals that have any vitality.  It is not the saying, but the doing and what one is inside and ones thoughts that produce 'true religion'. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: flippinhogmana on May 24, 2017, 11:40:11 am
That is true Fine, but then Baylor, TCU, SMU and the like are hardly church schools anymore.  Harvard, Yale and almost all of the Ivy League schools were started as divinity schools as well, which they are hardly anymore either. 

While that's true, Baylor still touts its affiliation with the Baptist church and advertises itself as a Christian university. It's incredibly galling and hypocritical, even to a non-religious person like me. Here are a couple screen-shots taken today from a) the splash page of the university's website, and 2) the "About Baylor" page.

How they can do this with a straight face is incredible to me. (With apologies for the derail - I work with trauma survivors for a living, and I hold Baylor's administration in utter contempt.)

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on May 24, 2017, 10:30:41 am

Ruby Vaden started her career under Gary Blair - a national champion coach.  He let another good post player go to open the starting position for her.  She was really overrated.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on May 25, 2017, 08:23:03 am
Ruby Vaden started her career under Gary Blair - a national champion coach.  He let another good post player go to open the starting position for her.  She was really overrated.

We will never know since GB just coached her one year.  But that still leaves JJ and Jordan Danberry as to my point that good coaching still makes a difference even if you have good players.  JD didnt suffer from not having good players, but he did best when the other players were left over from the previous coaching (his first year).

psycHOGlogist

Updated to reflect Wilson's transfer:

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on May 16, 2017, 08:12:19 pm
Let's do this in an organized way. Presuming that everyone returns that has not announced a departure. (I am assuming that Ratliff's departure is real.) The numbers available are as of today.

2017/18 scholarships (presumably) - 2 available
M. Monk - Jr
K. Swenson - Jr
K. Williams - So
J. Mason - So
S. Stout - So
D. Cosper - Sr
B. Zimmerman - Jr
M. Weaver - Fr
G. Spangler - Fr
T. Thomas - Fr
R. Northcross-Baker TR-Jr
A. Gaulden* - RS
C. Dungee* - RS

2018/2019 scholarships - 3 available
M. Monk - Sr
K. Swenson - Sr
K. Williams - Jr
J. Mason - Jr
S. Stout - Jr
B. Zimmerman - Sr
M. Weaver - So
G. Spangler - So
T. Thomas - So
R. Northcross-Baker - TR-Sr
A. Gaulden - RS-So
C. Dungee - RS-So

2019/2020 scholarships - 7 available
K. Williams - Sr
J. Mason - Sr
S. Stout - Sr
M. Weaver - Jr
G. Spangler - Jr
T. Thomas - Jr
A. Gaulden - RS-Jr
C. Dungee - RS-Jr

*Sitting out due to NCAA transfer rule

LadybackBBFan

I believe you are correct.  I would not expect any more pickups for 2017-18.  Therefore, we would have 3 scholarships available for 2018-19.  I would expect that only 2 would be filled unless an unusual situation develops.  If two were filled, then only 5 would be left for the next year as two would have been filled.