Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hoping against hope for a Rawleigh Williams comeback

Started by Piggie Smalls, May 11, 2017, 09:12:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggie Smalls

I hope for Rawleigh's sake that he hasn't completely shut the door on a possible return to the football field. While I complete agree with his decision to hang up the cleats for now, you could tell by the wording in his letter that his heart wasn't completely in it, even though we all know it was the right thing to do. I'm not talking about him returning to the U of A, he should definitely be done with college football, period. But maybe a year or so down the road, if he keeps in shape, there might be a small chance he could be re-evaluated and COMPLETELY cleared by doctors to make a return on the pro level. I know that's a longshot, but I just hope for the young man that he would be able to finish his football career on his own terms. To me that'd be the only way for him to have total peace of mind. Either way, I obviously wish him nothing but the best going forward.

Snouty

Seriously?  I believe that Rawleigh has made a final, irrevocable decision to stop playing football forever.

PorkRinds

LZH

Bkhardicars

I believe if it were me, I'd hang it up.You just never know what all goes through their minds. I could see him sitting on the side lines next year longing to get back in the game...I hope he joins the staff in some capacity long term.What a recruiting story about how CBB looks after the players well being...

fooman03

Put yourself in his position, you've been carted off of a field twice in your career. You've been hit and experienced a feeling many, many people have never and will never experience in their life (paralysis). At what point do you think you have been given too many chances on life? Nearly every person would quit after the first experience.

RW3 is a great guy and will do great things. This young man is a scholar in the classroom. I can honestly say I would hang em up for good if I was in his position. He has been given two chances to live a normal life. As far as on the field achievements, he led the SEC in rushing last year (as a sophomore), what else can he prove?

luke hawg

The risk of being a quadriplegic is not worth any amount of money.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: Piggie Smalls on May 11, 2017, 09:12:36 pm
I hope for Rawleigh's sake that he hasn't completely shut the door on a possible return to the football field. While I complete agree with his decision to hang up the cleats for now, you could tell by the wording in his letter that his heart wasn't completely in it, even though we all know it was the right thing to do. I'm not talking about him returning to the U of A, he should definitely be done with college football, period. But maybe a year or so down the road, if he keeps in shape, there might be a small chance he could be re-evaluated and COMPLETELY cleared by doctors to make a return on the pro level. I know that's a longshot, but I just hope for the young man that he would be able to finish his football career on his own terms. To me that'd be the only way for him to have total peace of mind. Either way, I obviously wish him nothing but the best going forward.

Biggie ain't coming back either.

SRV

We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

STLhawg

WOW!  I think someone's been hitting the sauce too early and too often tonight.

Hoggish1

Quote from: STLhawg on May 12, 2017, 10:03:34 pm
WOW!  I think someone's been hitting the sauce too early and too often tonight.

Uh, the sauce might clear his mind...

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: luke hawg on May 12, 2017, 09:58:01 pm
The risk of being a quadriplegic is not worth any amount of money.

It's RW3's life and his to live.  If he's not comfortable playing any longer, then he should quit for his, his teammates, and opponents (because playing tentative can increase chances of injury) well being.

However, i seem to remember reading that the expert doctor who did the surgery stated it was impossible to re-damage his neck in the same location.  Therefore, his chance at being injured would be no greater or less than anyone else's.

If true, this decision is based on his mental state of mind rather than a legitimate fear of heightened chances of nerve damage/paralysis, right?

I bring this up for several reasons, one being that I don't think BB would lightly put RW3 into harm's way at great risk which he would be guilty of based on your statement up until RW3 called it quits.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Inhogswetrust

Some people that start threads are definitely from another planet........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LJHOG

He ain't playin' no more.  Even if he tries to comeback it will not be at Arkansas.  I don't believe for one minute BB would allow it.

Me Like Hogs

No way an NFL team would take a chance with RWIII with the current climate concerning player safety. I think he does have a future in football, it will be on the sidelines not the field.

Missooie

We must have read different letters if you saw a sad little puppy who wasn't ready to be done with Football. From what I read, he sounded very content with his decision and knew it was the right one.

What his main concern was is that it wasn't even a hard hit, it was a routine hit on a routine play and it nearly took him out. What worried him was that if a little hit like that can take him out, what would a big hit from a DL do to him? Much less, what would a hit at the pro level do to him?

Everyone on this board and in Arkansas would love to be able to see RWIII suit up again, but not a single person in their right mind would want him to after we know what one hit could do to the young man. There are greater things than Football in life, and he knows that.

goodguytex

There's much more to life than playing football. He can get his degree and go on to a great career and make a good living for himself and his family. And be thankful he got to play for the Hogs and wear that unifrn. He's got everything to be proud of.

JoeyCapital

What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece