Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Women's softball

Started by flippinhogmana, May 03, 2017, 07:24:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

May 03, 2017, 07:24:21 pm Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 07:52:48 pm by flippinhogmana
The softball team is still ranked high enough and has high enough an rpi that they should be selected to an at large bid for the upcoming NCAA tournament whether or not they make it into the SEC tournament.  If they win at least two of three from the dogs of Georgia, that would probably cement that bid.

Right now the hogs are tied in the win column with South Carolina, and Missouri.  Because of rain outs, SC has less losses and is ranked tenth.  Right now they would make the tournament (SEC) and the hogs wouldn't.  But both Missouri and SC have a lot tougher three game set to finish the season than do the hogs.  The hogs have a realistic shot at leap frogging them both for the tenth slot.

If the hogs were to make the NCAA tourney anyway, I wonder if it wouldn't be better if they miss the SEC tournament.  However Nicole Schroeder is coming back (as in regaining her form).  I look for her regain that form more and more if she gets the opportunity to play into post season. 

On the other hand, however much Autumn Storms is a warrior, I would like to see her get some rest.  Caroline Hedgcock has shown flashes of why she was the high school Gatorade player of the year last year.  But she has also regressed some in locating her pitches in the last three or four games.  I wonder if a little rest wouldn't refocus her. 

It is a fine line, but I could see the hogs really surprising, or I could see them bowing out.  Obviously I would like them to surprise and make this a Cinderella season, but either way the program has had tremendous growth this year. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

I am pretty sure your info about the tournament is out of date. In the current format, only one team -- last place -- gets left out of the tournament. The top 4 teams get byes, and teams 5-12 play off against each other to play them. I think this format changed two years ago. 

We only have to win one to make the SECT. Only the bottom team in the league gets left out of the tournament, and UGA -- our weekend opponent -- is two wins behind us. They have to sweep us in order to get in. As of now, the only teams that have any chance of being left out of the tournament are us (if we get swept) and UGA (if we win one).

I am confident that we will be in the NCAAT any way you slice it. The entire SEC is likely to make it, imo, which will be a first.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on May 03, 2017, 07:50:00 pm
I am pretty sure your info about the tournament is out of date. In the current format, only one team -- last place -- gets left out of the tournament. The top 4 teams get byes, and teams 5-12 play off against each other to play them. I think this format changed two years ago. 

We only have to win one to make the SECT. Only the bottom team in the league gets left out of the tournament, and UGA -- our weekend opponent -- is two wins behind us. They have to sweep us in order to get in. As of now, the only teams that have any chance of being left out of the tournament are us (if we get swept) and UGA (if we win one).

I am confident that we will be in the NCAAT any way you slice it. The entire SEC is likely to make it, imo, which will be a first.

May be but if I am so is a SEC commenter.  They said that ten teams make the tourney.  That was what I was going off of.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

But you are correct, my source and I were out of date!

The SEC Softball tournament is a single-elimination tournament held each year at various SEC-conference campus stadiums. Twelve of the 13 teams in the SEC make the tournament each year (Vanderbilt does not sponsor a softball team).

psycHOGlogist

Here is a link to last year's bracket/results. Twelve seeds listed. (Format of tourney also described at bottom, I just noticed.)

http://www.secsports.com/bracket/softball

I am fairly sure it's the same format this year, fwiw.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: flippinhogmana on May 03, 2017, 07:56:54 pm
But you are correct, my source and I were out of date!

The SEC Softball tournament is a single-elimination tournament held each year at various SEC-conference campus stadiums. Twelve of the 13 teams in the SEC make the tournament each year (Vanderbilt does not sponsor a softball team).

I think you might be right about rest. I think we might still get plenty at the tournament (as in, one-and-done). My big question is how much consideration for FOY Storms will get. I think it's between her, Burnside from Mizzou, and Arnold from TN.