Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dierks, Gillham and DeQueen Lakes

Started by RazorBassin, May 03, 2017, 09:28:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorBassin

Ok, I have never been on Dierks, Gillham, or DeQueen Lake.  Our Junior State TBF Championship  is a 3 day event, 1 day on each of these lakes in June.  I may get to come down and spend one to two days looking before then as we can fish them until the end of May.  My question is, are these dangerous lakes to run on?  How is the fishing?  I have heard DeQueen has some giants in there, but won't be able to confirm until later this month I hope.  I'm really just wondering about running conditions, but I know they are very small lakes too, so that should help on patterning them.  Thanks for any information!   :razorback:

BroyledNutts

May 03, 2017, 05:24:40 pm #1 Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 05:40:56 pm by BroyledNutts
Dierks and DeQueen I've never been on ... Gillham is fairly easy to run, good ramp. Upper end narrows up and has standing timber and submerged timber, so take caution there ... fingers are fairly clear, some timber. Lower end is open. There used to be some shallow water areas in the lower end, particularly around the island, but it's been a number of years since I've fished it, so just boat smart and watch the finders.

Use the arial view of these lakes on Bing maps to give you a better idea of the obstacles. Dierks looks like a nightmare - there are waypoint buoys, but it still looks rough for over half the lake.

hawgon

None of them are dangerous to run on.

hogbud

Bet your kiddo can sling a buzzbait (good in May!)
Easy lakes to run, usually lots of Texans camping

RazorBassin

Nice!  Thanks for the info, I'm going to try and make a weekend trip down soon and hit all three lakes for half a day or so.  Should be fun!

hogbud

Three days of youth anglers and parents will be a boom to that local economy!

BroyledNutts

RazorBassin

Will definitely let you know, we are camping Memorial Day weekend to pre-fish, tournament is mid June.  Should be a lot of fun!

Chuck Boarris

There is Memorial Day big bass tournament on those three lakes. I'll see if I can dig up some info on it. I love Gillham and DeQueen, never been on Dierks, but they are easy to navigate. With the amount of boats that fish the big bass tourney, you'll be able to find out real quick where all the community holes are.

Here's a link how to sign up for it if interested?
http://southwestarkansasradio.com/28th-annual-tri-lakes-big-bass-festival-may-27/

RazorBassin

I missed your post Chuck, man the lakes were CROWDED for such small lakes.  We didn't catch many fish, but I spent the majority of the 4 days graphing the three lakes and getting my wife's little cousins untangled out of trees, stumps, rocks, etc.  On a good note, my 11 y/o son got some good work in on his baitcaster.  For his first time ever even throwing one, he picked it up quick.  Was a great time on the water for sure.  I have no idea where we are starting on any of the three lakes as I don't feel like I found any honey holes, but at least I know I can navigate all three lakes now. 

RazorBassin

Well, fishing was tough, but we had a blast. Missed the cut for championship Sunday by 2.04 lbs. Bad part was we broke a 3.5lber off at the boat, but that's fishing. The boys had a blast and so did I, looking forward to the start of the next youth tournament season!

hogbud

Fishing new water is always fun....spent way too much time on familiar waters and now I'm playing catch up on exploring new lakes. Admirable work in being a boat captain for young anglers - which youth organization?

RazorBassin

Arkansas Youth Fishing Association is the circuit we fish, but I Captain for the Cabot Youth Fishing Team.  It is a blast!