Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jonathan Adams

Started by Seminole Indian, August 30, 2016, 08:19:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

The 6-3, 195lb "athlete", and son of A-States former Parade All-American RB, committed to A-State over offers from UCA and SEMO.

Caught 63 passes, for 1,231 yards, and 19 TD's as a junior, and has been a recruiting priority for A-State for a while.

Also a standout basketball player.

Lot of speculation as to why he has been so lightly recruited because most who have seen him play agree with his HC when he says ".....you put him on any team in the state of Arkansas, he's  the best player on the team.".

Really does not matter, if the do in fact sign him they got best player in Arkansas, and that will be very evident this season, and the honors should pileup for this exceptional athlete.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

widespreadsooie

Best player in Arkansas?

Seminole Indian

August 30, 2016, 08:46:46 am #2 Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:01:35 am by Seminole Indian
I'm assuming his HC coach means best HS player, but yes, and I think most who have followed his carrier think that. His HC obviously does, and i think the A-State coaches think so too.

Totally dominant player, and I would not be shocked if he does not receive all the accolades his father did his senior year.

It is a long time to NSD ( just remember Dre Greenlaw, Drew Morgan, and Josh Liddell were A-State commits for a long time that no one who saw them play could understand why they were not getting the big-time offers, and he is a lot better than those guys, and I mean a lot better) , and I look for a lot of "major" schools from across the country to come to the same conclusion, and make a move on him.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

widespreadsooie

I figured he meant high school. I agree he's flown under the radar but to say he's the best player in the state comes off as a bold statement right now. Like you said, he has a whole season left and could very well shoot up the recruiting rankings. I hope he has a big season.

yraciv

That is a bold statement for sure! I could see the argument for Top 3, but anyone that has seen Byers or Brown know those guys are the real deal. After that, similar athlete wise you got Josh Johnson, Barnes, Jackson, Monta Thomas and a slew of others. Adams appears to stack up numbers wise, but does anyone know the measurables? Did he camp with the Hogs?

I know Jackson can fly and Barnes is a little tougher read just because he has played QB, but he looks extremely quick and elusive.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on August 30, 2016, 08:19:57 am
The 6-3, 195lb "athlete", and son of A-States former Parade All-American RB, committed to A-State over offers from UCA and SEMO.

Caught 63 passes, for 1,231 yards, and 19 TD's as a junior, and has been a recruiting priority for A-State for a while.

Also a standout basketball player.

Lot of speculation as to why he has been so lightly recruited because most who have seen him play agree with his HC when he says ".....you put him on any team in the state of Arkansas, he's  the best player on the team.".

Really does not matter, if the do in fact sign him they got best player in Arkansas, and that will be very evident this season, and the honors should pileup for this exceptional athlete.

Of course Randy is going to say that. Jay is a very good athlete, probably top 5 as far as athletes go, top 5 football or basketball player, doubtful, but definitely a top 5 high school athlete in Arkansas.

widespreadsooie

Well 247 has him ranked the 17th best player in the State FWIW, and ranked 18 points below Montaric Brown.

ricepig

Quote from: widespreadsooie on August 30, 2016, 03:12:19 pm
Well 247 has him ranked the 17th best player in the State FWIW, and ranked 18 points below Montaric Brown.

And if he committed to Arkansas it would miraculously rise, haha.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on August 30, 2016, 03:25:01 pm
Probably will, because who is recruiting a player is probably the best indicator of what kind of student-athlete ( not just athlete) a player is.

His current offer list does not support a high ranking, but based on seeing him as sophomore ( that is when A-State offered him) , I and really have no idea why he is ranked so low, but had the same questions about his half-brother.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: ricepig on August 30, 2016, 03:25:01 pm

True. Not trying to knock the kid. Just not fond of the original post (in case the P in "OP" stands for poster lol).

ricepig

Quote from: widespreadsooie on August 30, 2016, 03:46:33 pm
True. Not trying to knock the kid. Just not fond of the original post (in case the P in "OP" stands for poster lol).

He's good, no way of ever proving the statement in the OP, though.

Dropkick

Saw him play last year against Valley View. He has the build but didn't really stand out to me.

ricepig

Quote from: Dropkick on August 30, 2016, 05:17:00 pm
Saw him play last year against Valley View. He has the build but didn't really stand out to me.

Yeah, 6 catches for 141 yards and 2 TD's, usually doesn't stand out......

Dropkick

Quote from: ricepig on August 30, 2016, 06:11:54 pm
Yeah, 6 catches for 141 yards and 2 TD's, usually doesn't stand out......
Good lord, against Valley View?

pigture perfect

You have to understand a coach who is partial to his player. He truly believes that his kid is a special kid. He is biased. I get it. He's a great player obviously. Would love to have him.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ricepig

Quote from: Dropkick on August 30, 2016, 08:53:38 pm
Good lord, against Valley View?

Yeah, 2 touches for 100 yards against Batesville in the first quarter, plus a 50 yard KO return. He's like a lot of high school players, he takes plays off, but they all do, haha.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on August 30, 2016, 09:13:32 pm
He's like a lot of high school players, he takes plays off, but they all do, haha.

I didn't.    >:(    >:(    >:(

>:(    >:(    >:(    >:(
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 31, 2016, 04:57:10 pm

I didn't.    >:(    >:(    >:(

>:(    >:(    >:(    >:(

Well, if you never get in the game, does it matter?

Seminole Indian

January 20, 2017, 06:19:39 am #18 Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 07:32:19 am by Seminole Indian
Adams was named Little Rock Touchdown Club's 6A player of the year.

Ended year with 76 catches for 1402 yds (18.4 yards per catch, 127 yards per game) according to Jonesboro Sun.

Dropkick

Does anyone know who he has offers from now?

tophawg19

A State only . 2 star kid #20 in the state
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Seminole Indian

Think UCA offered.

Most people that have seen him play think he will contribute as a freshman, and will be an impact player for them.

Most think he could play basketball for them too. He is just a great athlete.

tophawg19

Monta Thomas is another that fell off the map . good athlete . Grades maybe ? he's a mid 3 star with no offers
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Seminole Indian

January 24, 2017, 06:42:30 pm #23 Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:55:31 pm by Seminole Indian
This is just a strange year in recruiting, especially in Arkansas, and no one  knows what the deal is with Adams and his rankings or lack of offers. Even the local media cannot figure it out, and all have brought it up, because players like him don't come through here that often.

There is not one person that I have talked to, Razorback fan or Redwolf fan, that has seen Adams play that does not think he is anything but a  "can't miss" prospect, who will be a star for them.  This has been the case since his Sophomore year, which is when they offered him.

No one is surprised at all that he was recognized as 6A POY, because they expected it.

Think he is a good student and a good kid, so go figure.

Still a long time to next Wednesday.

pigture perfect

Hey, I'm a fan of the Red Wolf clan of the Cherokee. I'm glad he's staying in state. He will do well there.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

GolfNut57

Quote from: Dropkick on January 24, 2017, 12:48:58 pm
Does anyone know who he has offers from now?

ASU, UCA, and SEMO are his only offers that I am aware of. So one FBS school and two FCS schools more or less.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ricepig

Jonathan doesn't have true break away speed, or lots of jiggle and wiggle. He's plenty fast for high school, we'll see in college. I watched him for 3 years here at Jonesboro, and was always thinking he would get several offers. I disagree that he can play D-I college basketball, his handles and shooting aren't sufficient to play a guard position, but he's a great high school player in that he'll do whatever Swift asks him to do.

I look forward to seeing and hearing about him throughout his career. I suspect he'll get a lot of red zone opportunities with his size and leaping ability.

Seminole Indian

I think what you are probably on the mark.

I did read some where that they think he has the frame to be a TE along the lines of their current undersized TE Black Mack.

Not sure how they compare in speed but Adam's is more athletic than Mack, and about the same size as Mack was out of HS, so that may be the plan.

Mack was another player that everyone thought would go big-time as a receiver, but he had  the same knocks on him you just mentioned, and the big-time offers never came. After a couple  so so years at WR, most realized why, and they moved him to TE where he is a receiving threat, but below average as a blocker. 

ricepig

Jonathan isn't big on contract, that's always been a drawback on him. He wasn't even going to play football in high school, but came out after the second or third game his sophomore season. He looks like he'd be a beast at safety, but I don't think he has the desire to take on Bo Scarborough, haha. Of course, who would?

Seminole Indian

The JHS HC said he though he could play on the defensive side of the ball, just did not catch at what position.

A funny side note, Coaches from the UofA were in Jonesboro today to look at , or visit an unnamed player, and A-State fans were already writing Adams off, and were already starting to bad mouth him.

Turns out they were in-town to see an offensive lineman, not Adams.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on January 25, 2017, 08:02:50 pm
The JHS HC said he though he could play on the defensive side of the ball, just did not catch at what position.

A funny side note, Coaches from the UofA were in Jonesboro today to look at , or visit an unnamed player, and A-State fans were already writing Adams off, and were already starting to bad mouth him.

Turns out they were in-town to see an offensive lineman, not Adams.

Yeah, 2018 guy, we're done with 2017. If you've ever watched JHS play, you'll know that the HC has no clue on what a defense is. He talks to the offense more than watches while the defense is playing. Adams won't play defense in college.

Seminole Indian

Adams, as expected, was named Best Under the Sun player of the year in today's Jonesboro Sun.

His HS Coach, who thinks he will play as a true, again expressed his feelings about his talent when saying "... I think he has more upside than any player I have ever coached. I think the sky is the limit for what he can do."

Of course he has been a priority for the A-State coaches since the 10th grade, so they probably feel the same.

Seminole Indian

February 01, 2017, 09:47:29 am #32 Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 02:18:34 pm by Seminole Indian
Well Adams did sign, which surprised some "insiders" because the "scoop" supposedly was he got his big-time offer this past week,and it was though he would "flip" to that school.

holeinthewall

Article this morning mentioned one reason he wasn't heavily recruited is because he didn't attend any summer camps where the "experts" get their measurable and see them perform. He was playing AAU basketball all summer.   I think this is one kid who has a big upside in college with his athletic ability to perform like a 4*

Seminole Indian

February 01, 2017, 01:13:53 pm #34 Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 02:16:26 pm by Seminole Indian
I think there are still some that think he will end up playing basketball, somewhere.

Basically, like their star point guard a few years ago Chico Fletcher( who went 100% basketball) or their TE from a couple of years ago Darion Griswold ( who did stick with football and is in the NFL now), they are saying they will believe it when when he shows up for fall practice, and sticks.

If he does he is a huge steal for them.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on February 01, 2017, 09:47:29 am
Well Adams did sign, which surprised some "insiders" because the "scoop" supposedly was he got his big-time offer this past week,and it was though he would "flip" to that school.

Bama, Auburn, LSU???

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2017, 03:09:28 pm
Bama, Auburn, LSU???
Heck if I know.

Knew there was a lot of restlessness among A-State fans close to his recruiting the last week or so, so I figured he had, or was about to get another offer, and like most I though it was the Razorbacks. In fact some posters  started to badmouth him on AStateNation for flipping to the Razorbacks.

With them out of the picture I do not have a clue.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on February 01, 2017, 03:53:52 pm
Heck if I know.

Knew there was a lot of restlessness among A-State fans close to his recruiting the last week or so, so I figured he had, or was about to get another offer, and like most I though it was the Razorbacks. In fact some posters  started to badmouth him on AStateNation for flipping to the Razorbacks.

With them out of the picture I do not have a clue.

Lunney came by JHS to check on a 2018 and 2019 OT, people let their minds run wild in recruiting.

Seminole Indian

The media grilled Anderson on Adams, and while saying that their coaches thought he is the best athlete in Arkansas, who can be as good as he wants in football, did not mention any late big-time offer.

They don't have a clue why he was so lightly recruited.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on February 01, 2017, 08:11:18 pm
The media grilled Anderson on Adams, and while saying that their coaches thought he is the best athlete in Arkansas, who can be as good as he wants in football, did not mention any late big-time offer.

They don't have a clue why he was so lightly recruited.

I don't understand it either, I can't believe other G5's didn't offer. I've watched him for 3 years, I thought he was as good a WR as the Jackson kid from Pulaski Robinson.

pigture perfect

Good. I hope he's a four year starter and blows the doors off people.

Seminole Indian

February 02, 2017, 04:24:58 pm #41 Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 07:05:37 am by Seminole Indian
Talked to a former HC at Jonesboro High today, and he agrees with the current HC that Adams is a tremendous "next level" talent who will "dominate", sooner rather than later, at A-State.

Said he has watched him for three years, and he is the best athlete he has seen at Jonesboro HS, and like everyone else cannot began to understand why he is was not highly recruited.

Great kid, and none of the issues that plagued his half-brother.

Look forward to seeing how this kid develops.

yraciv

Quote from: Seminole Indian on February 02, 2017, 04:24:58 pm
Talked to a former HC at Jonesboro High today, and he agrees with the current HC that Adams is a tremendous "next level" talent who will "dominate", sooner rather than later, at A-State.

Said he has watched him for three years, and he is the best athlete he has seen at Jonesboro HS, and like everyone else cannot began to understand why he is was not highly recruited.

Great kid, and none of the issues that plagued his half-brother.

Look forward to seeing how this kid develops.

Who was his half brother?

Seminole Indian

Seminole Indian

JONESBORO, Ark. (6/18/17) – A three-sport all-state selection at Jonesboro High School, incoming Arkansas State football freshman Jonathan Adams has been named the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette's 2016-17 All-Arkansas Preps Male Athlete of the Year.

http://www.astateredwolves.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=211629796

Seminole Indian

August 22, 2017, 08:04:25 am #45 Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 08:23:52 am by Seminole Indian
The 6'-3" 210lb Adams ( not the 185lb he was listed at when he signed) has been a standout in A-State's fall camp.

He and Razorback transfer Kendrick Edwards II (6'4", 216lb) are both athletic freaks, both have very good speed, and good hands.

They can simply out athlete most defenders, especially Adams, who is a true "skywalker", who has exceptionally strong hands.

As far as Adams recruiting and ranking out of HS, they have 3* athletes stacked on top of each other at that position, and based on seeing him compared to them, he is a 4*+.

Something totally not right about his recruiting/rankings.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on August 22, 2017, 08:04:25 am
The 6'-3" 210lb Adams ( not the 185lb he was listed at when he signed) has been a standout in A-State's fall camp.

He and Razorback transfer Kendrick Edwards II (6'4", 216lb) are both athletic freaks, both have very good speed, and good hands.

They can simply out athlete most defenders, especially Adams, who is a true "skywalker", who has exceptionally strong hands.

As far as Adams recruiting and ranking out of HS, they have 3* athletes stacked on top of each other at that position, and based on seeing him compared to them, he is a 4*+.

Something totally not right about his recruiting/rankings.

Jay didn't camp in the spring/summer, he played basketball, so he wasn't seen. I watched him for three years, while he doesn't have 4.5 speed, he was seldom caught from behind.

Seminole Indian

I only watched his team once,when he was a sophomore and really was paying attention to the other team.

Despite the fact everyone of his coaches, and former coaches at Jonesboro said he would dominate sooner rather than later at the FBS level, I really though there had to be an issue whether it was speed, his physical build, toughness, attitude, something.

Well he is plenty fast with pads on, and physically is just a big, strong, tough, super-athletic player. He already stands out at the position where they are outstanding even by P5 standards.

Will be interesting to see how he develops in college, but A-State is very lucky to have him.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on August 22, 2017, 11:12:12 am
I only watched his team once,when he was a sophomore and really was paying attention to the other team.

Despite the fact everyone of his coaches, and former coaches at Jonesboro said he would dominate sooner rather than later at the FBS level, I really though there had to be an issue whether it was speed, his physical build, toughness, attitude, something.

Well he is plenty fast with pads on, and physically is just a big, strong, tough, super-athletic player. He already stands out at the position where they are outstanding even by P5 standards.

Will be interesting to see how he develops in college, but A-State is very lucky to have him.

He's not the most physical player, or wasn't at times in high school, but is very athletic. I'll be interested in seeing if he can get separation in college where the DB's are as fast, or faster. I don't doubt he'll win the jump balls, I hope he does well.

Seminole Indian

If he struggles as an outside  receiver I  look for him to be used as a TE along the lines of their current TE Blake Mack, who also struggled a little as a WR.  Mack is one of the most explosive TE's in college football, and Adams is as fast, or faster, only 19lbs lighter, and  more athletic, and Mack is not a physical TE at all, but like Adams just has a knack for making the big play.