Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clemente asked for $23,000 for 1960 season, here's how the Pirates GM replied

Started by jbcarol, July 31, 2015, 04:47:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Darren Rovell ‏@darrenrovell 9h9 hours ago

MUST READ: Roberto Clemente asked for $23,000 for the 1960 season, here's what the Pirates GM responded with

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

EastexHawg

In 1959 Clemente batted .296 with 4 homers and 50 RBI.  He only had 17 doubles, the lowest total of his career, and scored only 60 runs.  His on-base percentage of .322 was pedestrian at best.

He only had two stolen bases and was caught stealing three times.

He committed 13 errors and had a .948 fielding percentage, which isn't exactly sparkling for an outfielder.  The Pirates' GM appears to be right about Roberto's previous season.

HamIAm

Baseball salaries have come a long way since then.

The $20,000 offered for 1960 is equivalent to $161,000 in today's currency.
$23,000 is equivalent to $185,000.

Todays minimum salary for MLB is $507,500, the equivalent of $63,033 in 1960.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

joeyself

I love this.

Of course, if Clemente had just come off a great year, but there was a question about his ability in the upcoming year, the GM would say "we can't pay on last year--we already did that.  We are offering on the projection for your upcoming season.  And it's a fair offer."

Never have I heard a GM say the offer extended wasn't fair.  Never have I heard a player say he was making an outrageous demand.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS