Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ben Howland: From LA to Mississippi State

Started by jbcarol, March 22, 2015, 09:31:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Freshman forward Joe Struggs, who enrolled at Mississippi State in August, won't be available to the team for the next two months due to a bone issue in both of his shins

QuoteGiven the timeline provided by Howland on Thursday, Struggs would be back in time for the start of the regular season if everything goes according to plan with his recovery. However, for a team that doesn't have a lot of depth in the front court Struggs' injury takes away another option...

Struggs' injury is the latest that Mississippi State's had to deal with, as Louisiana Tech transfer Xavian Stapleton (he had to sit out this upcoming season anyway) was lost to a torn ACL last month and three other players underwent surgery this offseason with big man Fallou Ndoye (right wrist) being one of those three...

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner Sep 3

Howland says Sword had surgery in the spring on his back. But feels the best he has in his career. Said that's Sword's words not his.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Scout Recruiting ‏@scoutrecruiting Sep 4

With official visit season here for College Basketball, which programs will have a big fall? http://on.scout.com/RNXlZ 

QuoteEvan Daniels: Earlier this week I said that I thought Kentucky and Duke will battle it out for the No. 1 recruiting class in 2016...

Rob Harrington: When I examine our recruiting board, I think Mississippi State could make noise in the next few weeks. The Bulldogs will welcome both Tyson Carter and Schnider Herard to campus next weekend, and they appear to be strongly in the mix for both. They've also brought Mario Kegler to campus multiple times and factor in for him as well.

MSU already holds pledges from top-75 point guard Lamar Peters and four star wing Eli Wright. On the whole, the Bulldogs have raised their profile considerably under new coach Ben Howland.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Halfman_Halfbeast ‏@Scutt_herard 12h12 hours ago

Great talk with @Ben_Howland today 👌🏾 First official visit to @HailStateMBK on Friday #HAITIANSENSATION

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/schnider-herard

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin  11m11 minutes ago
Tyson Carter, Robert Woodard, Nik Weatherspoon and Terryonte Thomas all here on MSU basketball visits. More recruiting updates later.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 21h21 hours ago

Mississippi State's Aric Holman will undergo knee surgery this week, per release. Could be lost for year. Was expected to be in rotation.

Ben Howland's return to college basketball has been filled with injuries. Not many teams in CBB more banged up than Mississippi State.

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 13h13 hours ago

Ben Howland & Brian Gregory were the two head coaches at Oak Hill's practice yesterday.

jbcarol

Two-sport athlete:

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 13h13 hours ago

Elijah Stately said he's going to wait until after the season to talk to Ben Howland about basketball.

Staley also said this week is much different for him. He's preparing differently with the potential of playing this weekend.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 12h12 hours ago

Today was Malk (sic) Newman's last first practice at MSU, according to his coach, "He is a one-and-done player."  http://on.thec-l.com/1LeL3mi

Quote"(Newman) is a one-and-done player," Howland said. "We've said that every press conference I've had. Nothing's changed. I fully expect him to enter the draft this June. That was the mindset when we recruited him and that's still the mindset."

Early draft projections list Newman as a lottery pick in the 2016 NBA Draft.

"Right now, I haven't really put a lot of focus into it," Newman said. "I'm just focused on taking my time during practice and just waiting for the season and hoping that everything should play out the way it should."

Howland coached a handful of lottery picks during his time at UCLA.

From his experience coaching Russell Westbrook and Kevin Love, among others, MSU's coach doesn't see a scenario where Monday wasn't Newman's last first practice in Starkville.

"You never know for certain, but I feel pretty certain this is going to work out for Malik," Howland said. "He'll be in and out of here in one year."

As a McDonald's All-American, Newman averaged 29.7 points per game in his senior season at Callaway High School.

Son of former State and All-SEC PF Horatio Webster

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 1h1 hour ago

Craig Sword, Marquette, and why Indiana/Vanderbilt in Maui would be must see TV. Observations @CBSSports: http://cbsprt.co/1Qb0DiR 

QuoteMalik Newman's commitment to the Bulldogs' program in April ensured that he'd get the majority of the headlines during the upcoming season, but it would be foolish to sleep on Craig Sword.

The 6-foot-3 senior has averaged in double-figures during all three years of his college career and has improved his 3-point shooting each season during that span. Armed with a chiseled physique that makes him capable of defending the opponent's top perimeter scorer, Sword is a two-way threat that has All-SEC potential as a senior.

The buzz surrounding Newman coupled with Ben Howland now on the sidelines has made Mississippi State relevant in college basketball, but Sword's steadiness, seasoning, and ability to absorb contact during penetration should make him anchor for the Bulldogs in 2015-16. Expect this squad to be in the SEC's second tier of teams after Kentucky, Vandy, and A&M.

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 22m22 minutes ago

ICYMI: Mississippi State is hosting 4-star SF Mario Kegler this weekend. There's a push for him to stay home: http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/recruitingreport/2015/10/08/4-star-kegler-could-sign-early-period/73582318/ ...

QuoteMario Kegler is close to wrapping up his recruitment, his guardian Omhar Carter confirmed to The Clarion-Ledger.

The four-star Oak Hill Academy small forward will take an official visit to Mississippi State this weekend. Ben Howland and the Bulldogs host Maroon Madness on Friday, which serves as the kickoff to the 2015-16 season.

Kegler took official visits to Arizona State and Baylor in September. After his time in Starkville, Kegler will take his remaining officials to Maryland (Oct. 15-17) and Indiana (Oct. 23-25).

The 6-foot-7, 230 pound wing has not set a date for his commitment.

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 57m57 minutes ago

Mario Kegler Talks Mississippi State Visit, Decision Timeline http://zagsblog.com/articles/mario-kegler-talks-mississippi-state-visit-decision-timeline/ ...

QuoteHowland believes Mario Kegler is a future pro and Kegler likes the school's proximity to home.

"[Howland] feels he is a pro, one and out," Omhar Carter, Kegler's guardian, told SNY.tv following Kegler's official visit to campus for Maroon Madness. "He thinks that his size and skill would be a matchup nightmare for opponents."

Kegler is a Mississippi native who transferred to Oak Hill (VA) Academy before his senior season. His former high school teammate at Callaway (MS), Malik Newman, is now a freshman at Mississippi State.

"Seeing everyone happy and all the fans there was cool," Kegler told the Clarion-Ledger. "The fans went crazy, especially if you're from Mississippi. [Newman is] from Mississippi, I'm from Mississippi, you know, that could be me."

jbcarol

Alex Bozich ‏@insidethehall 2h2 hours ago

De'Ron Davis cuts Arizona, has final two of IU and Mississippi State http://zpr.io/aRuR  #iubb via @insidethehall

QuoteClass of 2016 Overland Park, Colorado forward De'Ron Davis is down to two schools remaining in his recruitment.

The 6-foot-8 Davis, a four-star prospect, has eliminated Arizona from consideration, according to his high school coach Danny Fisher (12 Rounds).

jbcarol

SEC Sports ‏@SEC 1h1 hour ago

Chatting now with @HailStateMBK head coach Ben Howland. #SEC

Ben Howland: "Our seniors who all played last year want to go out with a good feeling. They're all very motivated." #SECMBB

Ben Howland: "The fan base in the #SEC really cares about its institutions."

Howland: "I'm excited about the people and leadership of University."

Howland: "We have had a good basketball tradition in the recent past. There was a 24-year period of very solid success in basketball."

Howland: "The SEC is a big-time conference and I have followed it my entire career. There is excellent tradition."

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 4h4 hours ago

STORY: 4-star Starkville SG Tyson Carter becomes the 3rd commitment for Ben Howland & MSU in 2016 http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/recruitingreport/2015/10/27/tyson-carter-commits-mississippi-state/74673890/ ...

MSU now with a top 25 class per @247Sports.

Tyson Carter on Ben Howland: "He's put a lot of guys in the NBA and I feel like it's a privilege to play for him."

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 7h7 hours ago

Ben Howland is on pace to sign a top 5 or 10 class in his 1st yr at Mississippi State. This comes as no surprise: http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/recruitingreport/2015/10/27/howland-building-monumental-class-2016/74701756/ ...

QuoteBen Howland was hired by Mississippi State a little over seven months ago. Since his arrival in Starkville, the Bulldogs signed a consensus five-star prospect and landed four additional four-star recruits.

A commitment from 6-foot-4, 165-pound Starkville High School point guard Tyson Carter gave MSU a significant boost, and not just in terms of roster depth when the Bulldogs have six players leave after this season, including projected one-and-done guard Malik Newman. Mississippi State's 2016 recruiting class saw a significant jump in the rankings Tuesday and now sits at No. 13 nationally according to Rivals.

Howland hasn't just raised the stakes for MSU recruiting. He's set an entirely new precedent.

"I feel like he's building something special that I don't think Mississippi State has seen in awhile," Carter said. "I really want to be a part of it."

This type of movement was expected given Howland's track record at previous stops. During his tenure at UCLA from 2003-13, Howland produced eight top-25 classes...

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 2h2 hours ago

Howland: We're going to put in zone, I hate zone, but we're going to have to do it. We can't afford Gavin Ware to be in foul trouble.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 15h15 hours ago

MSU guards prepared to battle bigs for boards http://on.thec-l.com/1N9cMpK 

QuoteState began Wednesday's practice with perimeter drills on one side of the court and post players on the other. Ware and sophomore Fallou Ndoye were the only players working in the paint.

Ndoye executed layup drills with white tape wrapped around his wrist, a sprained ankle and a broken nose. Ware is MSU's only healthy option at center entering its scrimmage against UAB on Saturday.

"The post is where I get my grits and gravy on," Ware said. "I just have to maintain and stay poised and stay confident."

Johnny Zuppardo, Travis Daniels and Demetrius Houston have all played power forward in the offseason and will see time in the post once the season starts Nov. 13 against Eastern Washington. The trio identifies more as stretch-fours than conventional power forwards like Ware.

Daniels led the group last year, averaging 3.9 boards per game.

"Every night, night in and night out, we have to win the battle of the boards," Bulldogs coach Ben Howland said. "So that's going to be one of our biggest challenges as a team is our ability to rebound."

Mississippi State lost Aric Holman and his 6-foot-10 frame until at least January. It's possible the true freshman could miss the entire season with a knee injury.

The ailments left the Bulldogs with two players — Ware and Ndoye — taller than 6-foot-8.

"It's going to be critical, especially for the guards (to rebound)," Howland said. "When you look at our team, we're not an imposing team physically in terms of our size. You'll see us play small out there a lot where we play three guards out there."

Senior Craig Sword has brought the same athletic ability he flashed during Maroon Madness when he leaped over Ndoye in the dunk contest.

"You have to be a dog if you're going to get a rebound," Sword said. "You have to be mentally in it. Coach Howland keeps preaching go to the glass, go to glass, go to the glass."

As a sophomore, Sword averaged a career-high 3.8 rebounds per game.

He averaged 2.8 rebounds last year with an injured back while I.J. Ready averaged two boards. Incoming freshman Malik Newman grabbed 5.7 rebounds as a senior at Callaway High.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 2h2 hours ago

Malik Newman (turf toe) did not play -- and Mississippi State handled UAB easily. Craig Sword had 23 points.

jbcarol

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 17m17 minutes ago

ESPN 100 big man Schnider Herard announces he's going to Mississippi State.

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin  5h5 hours ago
Schnider Herard's guardian: "I think Schnider being the first big to fall is going to set a domino effect into play" http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/recruitingreport/2015/11/04/mississippi-state-lands-4-star-big-man/75152886/ ...

QuoteState coach Ben Howland added two 4-star prospects to his 2016 recruiting class in the last eight days.

Prestonwood Christian (Texas) 6-foot-10, 260-pound center Schnider Herard announced his commitment to the Bulldogs during a ceremony at his school on Wednesday. The four-star prospect chose MSU over offers from Kansas, Purdue and Texas Tech after taking official visits to all four.

"He told me two weeks ago that's what he wanted to do," Herard's guardian Derrick Shelby told The Clarion-Ledger. "I think he probably liked them early on, and he wanted to go on the visits and see a couple of other schools to compare it to."

Herard, a native of Haiti, is listed as the No. 5 center in the nation and No. 7 overall player in Texas, according to the 247Sports composite.

The big man has been in the United States for just over two years and was part of back-to-back state championships at Prestonwood.

o Shelby, Herard's commitment may serve as the tipping point for MSU's remaining targets.

"I think Schnider being the first big to fall, he's going to set a domino effect into play here," he said. "I think some of the guys they're recruiting are not size. Kegler wants to play the 3-4, De'Ron wants to play the 4. Now that (Mississippi State) has a true center, those guys may look a little harder because they can play their natural position. (Herard) is more of a throwback center. Most guys nowadays want to be a stretch-four. Not Schnider. He's a five. He knows who he is."

jbcarol

jbcarol

Ben Howland ‏@Ben_Howland 14m14 minutes ago

I want to personally invite you to the Hump tomorrow. I'm excited about the season starting and I want our players to see a rocking Hump!

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 10h10 hours ago

I.J. Ready a different play (sic) on offense so far. Not afraid to shoot. His pull-up J is there. He has 14 on 6 of 12 shooting.

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria  1h1 hour ago Medford, NJ
Oak Hill SF @3Kegler will announce on Wednesday, per @OHACoachSmith. Maryland, IU, Miss St, Baylor & ASU

Mario Kegler

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria  2h2 hours ago
De'Ron Davis and Mario Kegler have discussed playing together at the next level http://zagsblog.com/articles/deron-davis-enjoys-mississippi-state-decision-expected-soon/ ...

QuoteDe'Ron Davis enjoyed his weekend official visit to Mississippi State and a decision between the Bulldogs and Indiana is expected soon, his high school coach told SNY.tv Sunday evening.

"I'm thinking within the next week or two," Overland Park (CO) coach Danny Fisher said by phone. "It could come as early as mid- late this week but he's going to take a couple days, man, and really sleep on it and process everything. Weigh the pros and cons of both places and then I think he's going to be ready to make his shoutout."

The NCAA early signing period runs Nov. 11-18.

The 6-foot-10 Davis is ranked the No. 10 power forward in the Class of 2016.

They are also in the hunt for Oak Hill wing Mario Kegler, who is expected to announce Wednesday, and has discussed playing together with Davis at the next level.

"Mario is really looking forward to the opportunity to play with De'Ron," Fisher said. "They've been together on the adidas circuit and Mario and his family made it sound like De'Ron's presence at Mississippi State would influence Mario in his decision on some level. They're tied together in the sense of them trying to put that front line together of Kegler, De'Ron and Herard. That's attractive."

If Howland lands both Kegler and Davis, it will only add to his already impressive recruiting run, which included landing current freshman point guard Malik Newman last spring.

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin  6h6 hours ago
4-star SF Mario Kegler further details why he chose Mississippi State here: http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/recruitingreport/2015/11/11/mario-kegler-commits-mississippi-state/75564380/ ...

jbcarol

Michael Bonner Verified account
‏@MikeBBonner

Howland confirms Eli Wright, Tyson Carter, Mario Kegler and Schnider Herard. He said he expects one more today.

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 1h1 hour ago Jackson, MS

Courtney Cronin Retweeted Michael Bonner

Confirming NLIs. Only one that's missing from commits is Lamar Peters. Unless he's alluding to something about Davis

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 5h5 hours ago

4-star Overland (Co.) PF De'Ron Davis chooses Mississippi State or Indiana at 4 p.m. central. Live stream link: http://www.9news.com/videos/news/local/2014/07/07/5993325/ ...

GoHogs1091

Howland didn't land De'Ron Davis.  Howland is apparently working on a replacement for Davis.  I noticed over on a Recruiting Forum that the following is visiting Mississippi State soon.  According to what is posted on that Recruiting Forum, Mississippi State became involved with him just yesterday.

http://247sports.com/Player/Dewan-Huell-29174

Huell is higher rated than Davis.

jbcarol

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 12, 2015, 05:41:59 pm
Howland didn't land De'Ron Davis.  Howland is apparently working on a replacement for Davis.  I noticed over on a Recruiting Forum that the following is visiting Mississippi State soon.  According to what is posted on that Recruiting Forum, Mississippi State became involved with him just yesterday.

http://247sports.com/Player/Dewan-Huell-29174

Huell is higher rated than Davis.

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 2h2 hours ago

Indiana lands De'Ron Davis while Mississippi State quickly moves to a 5-star PF visiting this weekend: http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/recruitingreport/2015/11/12/mississippi-state-target-chooses-iu/75661120/ ...

I covered recruiting in Indiana when Tom Crean offered De'Ron Davis as an 8th grader in 2012. Can't say loyalty doesn't mean anything.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: jbcarol on November 12, 2015, 06:14:53 pm

Indiana lands De'Ron Davis while Mississippi State quickly moves to a 5-star PF visiting this weekend: http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/recruitingreport/2015/11/12/mississippi-state-target-chooses-iu/75661120/ ...

I covered recruiting in Indiana when Tom Crean offered De'Ron Davis as an 8th grader in 2012. Can't say loyalty doesn't mean anything.

Davis' loss.  He would have flourished playing with Kegler and Herard.

MSU is going to have a strong roster next season.

PGs

I.J. Ready   Will be a Senior with a lot of playing experience; apparently he has improved under Howland's coaching.
Lamar Peters   4 Star

SGs

Quinndary Weatherspoon   6'5"   4 Star
Xavian Stapleton   6'6"   Transfer from LaTech  (played in all 36 games as a Freshman at LaTech)
Tyson Carter   6'4"   4 Star
Eli Wright   6'4"

SFs

Demetrius Houston   6'7"
Mario Kegler   6'7"   4 Star
Joe Strugg   6'9"

PFs

Dewan Huell   6'10"   5 Star  (if Howland lands him)
Aric Holman   6'10"   4 Star
Fallou Ndoye   6'10"

C

Schnider Herard   6'10"   4 Star

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin Retweeted Rod Walker

5 NLIs have been signed for Mississippi State in 2016. Ben Howland hoping for 2 more in this class.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner  1h1 hour ago
Mississippi State wins 106-88

Howland: I'm really excited. I'm so happy to be here.

jbcarol

MSU Men's Basketball ‏@HailStateMBK 10h10 hours ago

Tonight's attendance is 9,931. Awesome. Need this all season. No question the crowd help turn this game around. #HailState

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 36m36 minutes ago

Mississippi State's Ben Howland on verge of landing another Top 100 kid. Look for big man Abdul Ado to pledge to Howland today, per source.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 2h2 hours ago

Mississippi State's Malik Newman (turf toe) is expected to play tonight against Southern, Ben Howland told @CBSSports.

Best turf management program in US

GoHogs1091

Quote from: jbcarol on November 13, 2015, 11:21:11 pm
Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner  1h1 hour ago
Mississippi State wins 106-88

Howland: I'm really excited. I'm so happy to be here.

MSU scored 106 points without Malik Newman and Aric Holman.  Eastern Washington won 26 games last season, so they were not slouch competition.

It looks like Kentucky and LSU (the main SEC contenders according to National Analysts) better get better offensively.

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 1h1 hour ago

Quick story: Ben Howland adds another 4-star to his 2016 class with 6-11 center Abdul Ado http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/recruitingreport/2015/11/16/mississippi-state-lands-4-star-center/75860496/ ...

jbcarol

STARKVILLE, Miss. – A hot-shooting Southern University basketball team put a damper on Malik Newman's collegiate debut at Mississippi State.

A 12-0 run midway through the second half lifted to the Jaguars past the Bulldogs 76-72 before a crowd of 5,895 at Humphrey Coliseum Monday night.

Quote"It was a disappointing loss against a team that I was impressed with," MSU coach Ben Howland said. "Credit to Southern for their toughness. They came at us and took it to us on our home floor. It is all about defense. That is the problem right now.

"We allowed them to shoot 57 percent from the floor in the first half. Our defense is what we are struggling with. We also had too many turnovers."

In his debut, Newman played 17 minutes, scored six points on 2 of 8 shooting from the field and 1 of 6 shooting at the foul line. Newman had two rebounds, three assists and four turnovers...

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 13h13 hours ago

It's hard to believe how bad Mississippi State is defensively right now. Bulldogs are giving up 89.7 PPG in their first three games. Unreal.

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 20h20 hours ago

Who won the early signing period? @JoshGershon, @BSnowScout & I give our takes | Roundtable: http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1613765-who-won-early-signing-period ...

QuoteBrian Snow: I am going to make a bit of a surprise selection here and say Mississippi State. While they didn't bring in the super class that Michigan State, Duke, or Kentucky did, they exceeded expectations the most. This is big for Ben Howland. Malik Newman is likely to leave after this year and outside of him there was a lot of room to improve the roster. The Bulldogs landed five four-star recruits and a big time shot blocking three-star in Abdul Ado. To me this makes Mississippi State the biggest winner of all.

jbcarol

MSU Men's Basketball ‏@HailStateMBK 21h21 hours ago

Final Stats |

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 19h19 hours ago

Howland dealing with same issues Ray did. Said they aren't as competitive as he'd like in practice due to lack of bodies.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: jbcarol on November 26, 2015, 08:16:05 am
Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 19h19 hours ago

Howland dealing with same issues Ray did. Said they aren't as competitive as he'd like in practice due to lack of bodies.

Not having Joe Strugg, not having Aric Holman, and now with Demetrius Houston's suspension is having an affect on them.

Strugg is supposed to be available in the near future.  There is a chance Holman will be available at the beginning of January.

It will be interesting to see if Houston is back.  It may be a situation of Howland wanting to go ahead and replace Houston with his own recruited player (could replace him with a 4 Star recruit or a 5 Star recruit).

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner  4h4 hours ago
Game Breakdown: @hailstatembk looking to go streaking http://on.thec-l.com/1jnVHMk

QuoteA win allows Mississippi State to finish November with a .500 record and its first winning streak of the season. The Bulldogs return to the court after a six-day layoff. Ben Howland has highlighted the importance of more practice time. The first-year MSU coach got it this week.   

Who are these guys?: Tennessee Martin started the season with a four-game losing streak. It enters Saturday's matchup with MSU winning its last two games

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner Nov 25

Howland compared Newman's start to Shabazz Muhammad at UCLA. Muhammad missed scrimmage/exhibition/early games [suspended]. Took time to catch up.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 2h2 hours ago

Malik Newman, I.J. Ready, Craig Sword, Travis Daniels and Gavin Ware are MSU's starters vs. Tennessee-Martin.

Ware now with 22 and 10. He's a new player under Howland. He should be devouring these small schools, but he didn't last year. Great start

... MSU wins 76-51.

jbcarol

Jerry Tipton ‏@JerryTipton 21m21 minutes ago

SEC names its Freshman of Week from Mississippi State. But -- surprise -- it's not Malik Newman. It's  Quinndary Weatherspoon.

jbcarol

MSU Men's Basketball ‏@HailStateMBK  Nov 30
It's now official. @ES14_ is now a member of the basketball team and will wear No. 33. #HailState

State backup QB Elijah Staley

jbcarol

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken  Nov 30
Richt to Maryland would be he college football version of Howland to Mississippi State