Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Briles vs Morris

Started by 195bc, February 14, 2018, 03:57:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

195bc

Prior to Art Briles arriving at Baylor, the school's recruiting average for the previous six years was 61.3 in the country. In Briles eight years, his recruiting classes averaged 38.6 and the high 20s for his final four season (an incredible improvement and remarkable for Baylor). In his fourth year, Baylor finished the season ranked 13th. Dropped out of the rankings in 2012, but then finished the next three seasons ranked 13, 7, 13 (again, a stretch that was unprecedented at Baylor). Then he was fired for enabling rapists.

Morris reminds me of Briles in his coaching style, origin, reputation (or previous reputation, in Briles case) among Texas high school coaches. But if they are similar in coaching and recruiting abilities (abilities that are still yet to be completely proven), it could get interesting. Morris comes into a program that already averages 25-30 in national recruiting rankings (unlike Baylor's horrible ranking rankings prior to Briles), has more talent right off the bat, and has better facilities and tradition than Baylor. Just pondering on the topic this afternoon.

bennyl08

raw numbers of recruiting class rankings (didn't bother to look at # of recruits signed)

year: ranking
2000 44 (Hou only)
2001 51 ""
2002 40 36 (Hou Bay)
2003 59 57 ""
2004 76 93
2005 79 60
2006 83 49
2007 66 73
2008 77 58
2009 68 53
2010 55 38
2011 46 (Baylor Only
2012 26
2013 27
2014 25
2015 36

The good news for us is that the parallels go back even further (though hopefully the parallels won't go any deeper; however, given the scandals).

A concern of mine about Morris was that his recruiting ability. He wasn't one of the top recruiters at Clemson during his days there and he was unable to improve SMU's recruiting at all. However, check out what Brile's did at Houston with recruiting. Brile's actually made recruiting there worse despite helping increase the win total. Not too different from Morris at SMU. However, when moving to a bigger time school, you can see that he did start improving the ranking.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Con el Cerdos

Good comparison I think, regarding high school success.  Don't know that Morris can duplicate what Briles did at Baylor, simply because Baylor is right in the middle of the state and can fill up on recruits within a three hour drive from campus.

Morris will get a lot of Texas players, just hope he realizes he not at SMU anymore.  He'll have to up his recruiting game.

Before his problems, I always admired the job that Briles did.  Used to drive from Dallas to Stephenville once or twice a season just to watch his offense.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on February 14, 2018, 06:43:37 pm
Good comparison I think, regarding high school success.  Don't know that Morris can duplicate what Briles did at Baylor, simply because Baylor is right in the middle of the state and can fill up on recruits within a three hour drive from campus.

Morris will get a lot of Texas players, just hope he realizes he not at SMU anymore.  He'll have to up his recruiting game.

Before his problems, I always admired the job that Briles did.  Used to drive from Dallas to Stephenville once or twice a season just to watch his offense.

It seems clear that he does realize that. He went after recruits like Tommy Bush and Miles Battle that he wouldn't have bothered with at SMU. Now, he didn't get those two, but Myles Mason, Joseph Foucha and Dorian Gerald were great pick ups who wouldn't likely have given SMU a visit, let alone a signature on an LOI..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Busta_Nutt

Briles also did this in the Big 12. It will be more difficult for Morris to do this in the SEC, and the West in particular. If we were ever to jump to the Big 12, I think he'd take us to the top quickly, much like Gundy has done at Oklahoma St.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on February 15, 2018, 09:09:31 am
Briles also did this in the Big 12. It will be more difficult for Morris to do this in the SEC, and the West in particular. If we were ever to jump to the Big 12, I think he'd take us to the top quickly, much like Gundy has done at Oklahoma St.

Hogarusa

Haha, always enjoy Hog fans that think we could dominate other conferences
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

DeltaBoy

Briles Time a Stephenville was special.  They were blowing out folks with ease.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: Hogarusa on February 15, 2018, 09:23:12 am

Not necessarily dominate, but we'd be more competitive and at least have a fighting chance. Right now the only thing we're fighting for is 5th place in the SEC West.

Russ22

Briles also decided that he would never risk losing a non-con game. Have a look the cubbies schedule & decide if even Baylor would ever lose to those teams. Baylor also benefited from the fact that teams that regularly kicked their tail left (4 of them). In the Aggies last season in the big 12, they beat Baylor by 27 with heisman winner RGIII at qb for the bears.

Briles rep at Baylor  was about as real as consensual sex was at that institution.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

King Kong

We have won 9 of our last 11 vs Big 12 teams. I think we would do well.

steveaustin69

Quote from: King Kong on February 15, 2018, 10:06:24 am
We have won 9 of our last 11 vs Big 12 teams. I think we would do well.

Get outta here using facts on hogville!

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 15, 2018, 10:17:26 am

I've seen this stat a few times on various threads - it is now a GuvHog Fact.

okrazorback

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 15, 2018, 10:17:26 am
[/qu

then where would we go next? sun belt

I believe I looked it up and Bret's 2017 recruiting class would have placed third in the B12.

oldhawg

Quote from: 12247 on February 15, 2018, 05:01:41 pm
I believe I looked it up and Bret's 2017 recruiting class would have placed third in the B12.

There is no way to know if he would have gotten the same class in the B12.  Maybe worse, maybe better.  Different selling points, different recruiting emphasis.

Inhogswetrust

Here we go again.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: oldhawg on February 15, 2018, 05:32:59 pm
There is no way to know if he would have gotten the same class in the B12.  Maybe worse, maybe better.  Different selling points, different recruiting emphasis.

Now don't use logic.........it isn't allowed here.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ballz2thewall

seriously?
The rest of the frog.

RME

Up his recruiting game? Dude was a great OC and recruiter at a little school called Clemson for a few years. I think he gets what it's like to recruit at an extremely high level.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 195bc on February 14, 2018, 03:57:36 pm
Prior to Art Briles arriving at Baylor, the school's recruiting average for the previous six years was 61.3 in the country. In Briles eight years, his recruiting classes averaged 38.6 and the high 20s for his final four season (an incredible improvement and remarkable for Baylor). In his fourth year, Baylor finished the season ranked 13th. Dropped out of the rankings in 2012, but then finished the next three seasons ranked 13, 7, 13 (again, a stretch that was unprecedented at Baylor). Then he was fired for enabling rapists.

Morris reminds me of Briles in his coaching style, origin, reputation (or previous reputation, in Briles case) among Texas high school coaches. But if they are similar in coaching and recruiting abilities (abilities that are still yet to be completely proven), it could get interesting. Morris comes into a program that already averages 25-30 in national recruiting rankings (unlike Baylor's horrible ranking rankings prior to Briles), has more talent right off the bat, and has better facilities and tradition than Baylor. Just pondering on the topic this afternoon.

However this ends up, it is going to be like most recruiting for a school that has previously underachieved. The more you win and the earlier that you do so against quality opponents, the greater the draw that you create to your school. Win more against significant opponents and the more and better recruits you will draw to your program. This isn't rocket science.

If Morris can achieve this then he has a chance to turn Arkansas into a bonafide contender in the West and prolong/increase that level of success over time. If he can't, this will wind up being just another period of time where Arkansas averages 7-8 wins each season. I don't think that is what any of us want to see happen so I hope that this staff can make it happen.
Go Hogs Go!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: oldhawg on February 15, 2018, 05:32:59 pm

We would be around Ok Lite's ranking which would still be very high for the Big 12

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 15, 2018, 07:36:11 pm
We would be around Ok Lite's ranking which would still be very high for the Big 12

That sounds good, but we really don't know. I would hope that if we had been in that conference all this time instead of the SEC, that our recruiting rank would have been better that that of Oklahoma State. But there isn't anything other than speculation involved here since none of it ever happened.
Go Hogs Go!

Vantage 8 dude

February 16, 2018, 07:50:13 pm #24 Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:14:31 am by Vantage 8 dude
Compare the two men or not; however, the ONE area I NEVER EVER want to compare Morris and Briles in is the area of decency and honesty. Not saying CMM has to be a saint (which he isn't); however, pray to the Lord that he doesn't turn out to be the morally bankrupt person and coach that Art Briles was at Baylor :puke:

greasy_corner

hog.goblin

I don't think you are accurate in arguing that Okie Lite is dominating the Big (formerly) 12.

I would say over the last 7 years or so Oklahoma and Okie Lite are similar to what Texas and Arkansas were, respectively, back in the SWC days.  Would it be similar now?  Who knows, but we are likely to never know.