Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thanksgiving eve tidbits

Started by Porkatarian, November 22, 2017, 09:23:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Breems

Quote from: Tony Perkis on November 22, 2017, 10:12:06 pm
Crazy times. Think about it. People are cheering for a coach to go to the college football playoff so he's not our coach.

Yeah, it's a lose-lose for Gus haters. You have to just dislike him personally at that point.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

HoopS

Some wanted him to go get experience last time. And now I read he's been gone too long so NO.

LOL

You all are a hoot.

Some will be crying no matter what. I'll support whoever. You guys who will quit the Hogs, sorry. Guess we are just different.

TX HOG

I agree. Gus isn't my personal #1 but he's up there. If Gus is our coach I hope he wins every game he coaches for our Razorbacks.

Hogmaestro

THAT bothers me. Maybe I'm in the minority...but character does mean something to me (Dari...here's someone that doesn't fit your stereotype....). And, Mike Leach has very little of that according to some I know that know him. (I know lots of people in Lubbock). They say the same things about him as people in Louisville said about Petrino.

Charlie on the other hand is ALL class. And a damn good coach. Anyone would have failed at Texas in the tiny amount of time he was given to right that very messed up ship.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: moses_007 on November 22, 2017, 09:24:01 pm
Yes and he is taking our offer.  Namely because of

1.  He's tired of being threatened to be fired if he doesn't beat LSU and Alabama.

2.  Arkansas is his dream job.

3.  He wants to come home.

4.  His wife really wants to come home.

5.  His wife has a sick mother in Ft. Smith she wants to be closer to.

Enough reasons?  Money won't be an issue here.  He'll make millions here, so why does it matter?

Get on the Gus Bus, or be left behind.  We aint hiring no unproven coach from Memphis, regardless of his record.  I'd rather give the job to Dan Enos instead of doing that....

No it isn't enough. I need he is coming to win an SEC Ch.  Dream job and coming home is not close to good enough. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

a0ashle

Quote from: TazorTusk on November 22, 2017, 10:47:31 pm

6. Kiffin - (A sleeper and a winning choice only if he has grown up after Saban's chastisement.  He may need a couple of more years of seasoning.)

Kiffin is 42, I get your point, but just the fact that we are talking about a 42 yo man having to grow up to be a HC, that alone rules out Kiffin in my book.

a0ashle

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 22, 2017, 11:46:57 pm
No it isn't enough. I need he is coming to win an SEC Ch.  Dream job and coming home is not close to good enough.

Just so long as he doesn't SAY that he wants to win SEC championship or beat Bama in his press conference, that'd be the worst, amirite?!

Tony Perkis

Quote from: a0ashle on November 22, 2017, 11:57:49 pm
Just so long as he doesn't SAY that he wants to win SEC championship or beat Bama in his press conference, that'd be the worst, amirite?!
Hahahaha

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: a0ashle on November 22, 2017, 11:57:49 pm

For our fans.  State no goals.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

moses_007

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 22, 2017, 11:46:57 pm
Oh he's going to take us to places we've never been.........lol

duckman

Let me start this off by saying Gus isn't my first choice.  That said, I am literally laughing out loud at some of the reasons for not hiring him.   Gus has been described as low character, aloof, ass hole, stand offish, a liar, a cheater and it goes on and on...  Since when did being an aloof ass disqualify you from being a good coach?  Bobby Petrino is a complete jerk and everyone here loved him right up until he was left bloody in a ditch.  I have news for you Frank Broyles had a huge ego, Bill Belichek has the personality of a fence post. Steve Spurrier is a complete jerk, but guess what, everyone on them is or was a hell a coach.  If you are completely honest and leave your personal feelings out of it. Gus is the best guy on the board and it isn't close.

3kgthog

You'd really want a coach that would bail on his team after beating Bama and securing a really good shot at making the playoff? That'd be dumber than any coaching move Bielema ever made on or off the field. Sure, Petrino ditched the Falcons, but they were grown men that had nothing to play for. The kids at Auburn do have something to play for.

What would you say if our starting QB decided to forego the SECCG because he wanted to focus on the draft? You'd probably be pretty angry.

Spektre

I have to admit... TT as the top choice with Scanlon getting the wife veto is surprising. I really don't see him as a prime candidate to be the face of Arkansas athletics.

As for Gus, it wouldn't be a bad hire, but I would prefer Norvell, Leach, or Venables over him. His first go around here left a sour taste in my mouth, and I don't think I could trust him to recruit on a high enough level to do get what he needs without overly bending the rules. Just something about him...

duckman

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 23, 2017, 02:16:13 am
You'd really want a coach that would bail on his team after beating Bama and securing a really good shot at making the playoff? That'd be dumber than any coaching move Bielema ever made on or off the field. Sure, Petrino ditched the Falcons, but they were grown men that had nothing to play for. The kids at Auburn do have something to play for.

What would you say if our starting QB decided to forego the SECCG because he wanted to focus on the draft? You'd probably be pretty angry.

I don't think he would ditch his team after beating Bama, but if he did it would lend credence to this being his dream job...

jkstock04

That would for sure be the ultimate FU to Auburn...pretty hilarious actually. Talk about #1 story on sportscenter. 

Malzahn isn't my first choice as coach....but what I like about it is we evidently have some people calling shots willing to sink to the depths and hire Malzahn in order to WIN. Kicking Jeff Long to the curb plus this move just screams we are tired of the BS and want our football program back. I like it....a lot. Also doesn't hurt that many of the Jeff Long/Bielema homers despise the idea, that makes me snicker some. I know a life long die hard who about had a coronary over Jeff Longs firing that claims he will burn everything and anything Razorback and not look back if Gus Malzahn is hired.

Overall Malzahn not my first choice....but I love the message it sends and the current message we are sending.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jgcat4

Quote from: moses_007 on November 22, 2017, 09:24:01 pm
Get on the Gus Bus, or be left behind.  We aint hiring no unproven coach from Memphis, regardless of his record.  I'd rather give the job to Dan Enos instead of doing that....

This is second only to introducing John El as the stupidest comment I've ever read or heard. I didn't know anyone had that much man love for Gus. Yes, clearly he is the most experienced choice for coach on our radar and has the most impressive resume. I am concerned that his brand of football is too run heavy just like Nutt and BB. I am also concerned that he has underachieved for the last three years at Auburn and he has underwhelmed at developing a qb. I think the reported $6-6.5mil is a ridiculous amount of money to pay him.

However, saying you would hire Enos over Norvell is an arrogant statement. Enos couldn't win at a lesser level and produce like Norvell has. I truly believe Norvell will be a solid hire by someone. If we don't get Gus, I hope it's us. He has a dynamic offense and if he hires a good DC we will be great. Gus isn't my pick. I'm not even fond of him as a person but I'll get behind whoever the head Hog is. I hope you'll do the same.
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

BR

All we can do is HOPE we are being played by Jimmy Sexton, and he never ever wears Razorback colors....  Freak the Gus Bus, all you short Bus Riders jump on Board...

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Boarcephus

Quote from: BR on November 23, 2017, 06:25:47 am
All we can do is HOPE we are being played by Jimmy Sexton, and he never ever wears Razorback colors....  Freak the Gus Bus, all you short Bus Riders jump on Board...

LOL!!  Not a fan of Gus are we BR??  ;) 

I was all about Gus being our HC before he went to Auburn.  The last 3 years with that talent has dampened my enthusiasm for him. I think there are better choices.  I know I'm pulling for Auburn to beat Bama because if they do, he won't come here.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

BR

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 23, 2017, 06:55:41 am
LOL!!  Not a fan of Gus are we BR??  ;) 

I was all about Gus being our HC before he went to Auburn.  The last 3 years with that talent has dampened my enthusiasm for him. I think there are better choices. 
You could say that Brother, Happy Thanksgiving...  Just put Turkey in Smoker at 5am, cooking with Cherry wood this year... See how it turns out.
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

my3boneheads

Nashville Fan

Pittman or Bust!

Hawg Life

Quote from: duckman on November 23, 2017, 03:46:58 am
I don't think he would ditch his team after beating Bama, but if he did it would lend credence to this being his dream job...

Gus dreams about Gus. The happy homecoming storyline is straight WWE!!!

Ragnar Hogbrok

I promise you this: if Gus is hired and fails to deliver (which I think he won't win more than 8 games here based on his auburn record), we'll have a hugger situation on our hands that made the hootie hugger episode look like child's play.

"But, but, this is his dreeeeeeeeaaaam job. We can't fire him because he's the best we can do."  Mark my words.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Temprees

Quote from: Tony Perkis on November 22, 2017, 10:21:21 am
If it's any of these three, we're not going to get away from fans misspelling our coach's name 8/10 times. Disappointing.
Not so, remember M-A-L-A-Z-H-A-N

Temprees

Quote from: Kneph13 on November 22, 2017, 11:32:56 am
Drop Gus from the list.  I don't want him and I'm sure I am not alone in that sentiment.  Sick and tired of seeing his name.  People act like he would be the second coming of Frank Broyles or some such nonsense.  I wan't that big on Frank either after some of the things he did.  We need a new fresh face.

I hope the Gus Bus throws a rod and has 4 flat tires.
Wasnt Bielema was a new fresh face?

GuvHog

Quote from: Temprees on November 23, 2017, 08:21:07 am
Wasnt Bielema was a new fresh face?

By "New Fresh Face" he means an "up and comer".
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HogRob

Quote from: duckman on November 23, 2017, 01:43:46 am
Let me start this off by saying Gus isn't my first choice.  That said, I am literally laughing out loud at some of the reasons for not hiring him.   Gus has been described as low character, aloof, ass hole, stand offish, a liar, a cheater and it goes on and on...  Since when did being an aloof ass disqualify you from being a good coach?  Bobby Petrino is a complete jerk and everyone here loved him right up until he was left bloody in a ditch.  I have news for you Frank Broyles had a huge ego, Bill Belichek has the personality of a fence post. Steve Spurrier is a complete jerk, but guess what, everyone on them is or was a hell a coach.  If you are completely honest and leave your personal feelings out of it. Gus is the best guy on the board and it isn't close.
I agree 100%. If you are looking at our options objectively, it's a slam dunk.

rljjr

Quote from: Breems on November 22, 2017, 10:53:37 pm
Yeah, it's a lose-lose for Gus haters. You have to just dislike him personally at that point.

It's not personal for me, Breems. It's a practical issue of doing "decent" at AU with a boatload of talent. He's number 2 on my list behind Norvell. It's a personal preference of wanting a hungry up-and-comer that can grow into the job and fans will be "reasonably" patient with. He has built upon the foundation of Fuente and even surged ahead with better recruiting and continued great results. I think he could be the "Jimmy Johnson that got away" kind of coach for us.
If it ends up being Gus I will be ok with it, but he will be in the same position as Bret in five years unless he can take our current talent level and win 8/9 games a year. If he can do that with the occasional back-to-back 10-win seasons and SECCG berth then I say lock him up now and ride him to glory. I just don't see him having that kind of success here since he's not had that kind of success at AU.  But that's just me. No big whoop. Happy Thanksgiving.

jgphillips3

Quote from: HogRob on November 23, 2017, 08:48:29 am
I agree 100%. If you are looking at our options objectively, it's a slam dunk.

My only concern about Gus is his mediocre results with top ten talent.  That's it.  If I had a second, it would be why does he have to keep getting transfer QB's to make his system work?  Now, he is still relatively young as a head coach in terms of length of time in the head coaches seat so, I can put some of that down to learning curve.  Other than that Auburn has ALWAYS cheated; what boosters do with their money, I don't attribute to the head coach other than his acquiescence to it. 

If he's the coach, I'll support him 100% for the first two years to get his system in place.  Starting year three, he's open to praise or criticism on a results driven basis.  My one caveat is, he should HAVE to decide yes or no after the Iron Bowl.  He doesn't have to come here immediately, but the decision, not necessarily the announcement, needs to happen before other coaches start getting snapped up.

GuvHog

Quote from: rljjr on November 23, 2017, 09:12:52 am
It's not personal for me, Breems. It's a practical issue of doing "decent" at AU with a boatload of talent. He's number 2 on my list behind Norvell. It's a personal preference of wanting a hungry up-and-comer that can grow into the job and fans will be "reasonably" patient with. He has built upon the foundation of Fuente and even surged ahead with better recruiting and continued great results. I think he could be the "Jimmy Johnson that got away" kind of coach for us.
If it ends up being Gus I will be ok with it, but he will be in the same position as Bret in five years unless he can take our current talent level and win 8/9 games a year. If he can do that with the occasional back-to-back 10-win seasons and SECCG berth then I say lock him up now and ride him to glory. I just don't see him having that kind of success here since he's not had that kind of success at AU.  But that's just me. No big whoop. Happy Thanksgiving.

Good point. Gus has had a boatload of 5* players every year his been at Auburn. In that length of time, he's had 1 ten+ win season where he took his team to the national Championship game and lost. The rest of the time, he's averaged around 8 wins per season until this year. He won't ever have a boatload of 5* players at Arkansas so I don't see how he can win 8 games a year as Hog HC without them. I'm amazed that the Gus huggers are so quick to ignore that Great Big RED FLAG.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 22, 2017, 10:25:14 am
A thread by a Mod claimed that the decision on AD has already been made and even suggested that the announcement might be last Monday.  It wasn't on Monday, but he didn't promise it would be Monday.  You claim that "if Scanlon turns it down" it could be others.  Ok. So is the Mod completely wrong?  No deal done just waiting for announcement? Or is it still if Scanlon turns it down?  I can't see how both threads could be right even though many HV residents are lining up behind these threads. Just want someone to call which one is really telling it and which one is BS.
My predictions are looking pretty good now, aren't they?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: GuvHog on November 23, 2017, 09:27:10 am
Good point. Gus has had a boatload of 5* players every year his been at Auburn. In that length of time, he's had 1 ten+ win season where he took his team to the national Championship game and lost. The rest of the time, he's averaged around 8 wins per season until this year. He won't ever have a boatload of 5* players at Arkansas so I don't see how he can win 8 games a year as Hog HC without them. I'm amazed that the Gus huggers are so quick to ignore that Great Big RED FLAG.

I can think of maybe 3 schools with a boatload of 5*s.

Unfortunately, Auburn ain't one of them.
This is my non-signature signature.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Porkatarian on November 22, 2017, 01:53:38 pm
It's hard to take a job in a different city when your wife doesn't want to move.

Porkatarian out...
NWA is nice but if you are not interested in living the U of A admin type of life and/or love LR, and a lot of people love LR, including me, I can see why you would not want to pick up and move to NWA. It's like leaving the south and moving to Kansas. Just ask Rex Nelson. It is hardly Arkansas anymore up there. More out of staters than there are native Arkansans.

Plus, Scanlons have children in their 30's whom they want to be near. Kevin is 60 or 61, so not easy to leave a nice life and job in LR for a new career in Fayetteville. I can see Vicki's thinking on this deal.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: GuvHog on November 23, 2017, 09:27:10 am
I respect this side especially from someone who basically "don't want Gus" and that's fine too. I would ask you though to look at that defense he has and without saying"yeah but they cheated to get it". and tell me it isn't awesome. Look at that offense and say the same. No matter what happens in the iron bowl, he has assembled a great team. If he came back here we'd be getting Tim Horton back and he is good at shoring up instate recruits. Which right now is a must. We are on the edge of a great recruiting year here in state. Those who are/were against Petrino used this as their selling point "Just took advantage of a great instate class. personally I'll take it, to get these instate kids and a few from Texan who are great and we'll (with what we have on campus) have a great bunch of athletes to give this thing a shot. We are in dire straits right now. In my lifetime I never thot I'd see a picture like the one with 50 seconds left in a 21-21 game with state.

HognotinMemphis

One more thing on this:

Arkansas badly needs a head coach who is a defensive expert. Are there even any head coaches that fit that bill anymore? You will not win in the SEC without a good defense. Thus, I think Leach is a very bad choice.

As for Malzahn, he's smart enough to hire the right staff and smart enough to understand that competent defense is a must in the SEC, I think he would be a better head coach than any we have had since Holtz. But, I can't imagine him wanting to come to Arkansas from Auburn. That is a definite step backward for him and I can't recall such a move being made by a head coach at a P5 program when things are going well at current job. I think there is only a slight chance Malzahn would do this no matter the outcome of the Ala-Auburn game on Sat.

That leaves young Norvell. I've said he will take another job before coming to the dumpster fire now known as Arkansas Razorback football. And before you say, "we are no dumpster fire!". The SEC record over past 6 seasons at Arkansas is the worst in the SEC over the last 6 years. 14th out of 14. Relative to the SEC and relative to how Arkansas was performing under Nutt and Petrino immediately before 6 seasons ago, Arkansas is the definition of a dumpster fire. I still think he goes to TN before he comes to Arkansas. If Fuente leaves Va Tech, I could see Norvell replacing him there before coming to Arkansas. I can easily be wrong here but we'll all know shortly.

Who does that leave for Arkansas? Don't want Leach, Malzhan and Norvell not coming. Who then? I am asking because I don't know who is 4th and 5th and 6th on the list.

PS. Not sure NWA and the U of A are ready for Kristy Malzahn unless Gus has figured out a way to muzzle her over the past 5 years.

GuvHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 23, 2017, 09:53:02 am
I can think of maybe 3 schools with a boatload of 5*s.

Unfortunately, Auburn ain’t one of them.

You think wrong. Auburn doesn't get quite as many 5* recruits as Bama does but they still get a boatload of them every year. Whether you like it or not, that RED FLAG I mentioned is there and it isn't going away.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: moses_007 on November 23, 2017, 12:46:32 am
Oh he's going to take us to places we've never been.........lol

Should be his first goal. If not don't hire him. 

Tarheelhawg

Happy Thanksgiving to all!  Thanks for the tidbits Pork! My Thanksgiving is even more hopeful now!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 23, 2017, 10:01:13 am
One more thing on this:

Arkansas badly needs a head coach who is a defensive expert. Are there even any head coaches that fit that bill anymore? You will not win in the SEC without a good defense. Thus, I think Leach is a very bad choice.

As for Malzahn, he's smart enough to hire the right staff and smart enough to understand that competent defense is a must in the SEC, I think he would be a better head coach than any we have had since Holtz. But, I can't imagine him wanting to come to Arkansas from Auburn. That is a definite step backward for him and I can't recall such a move being made by a head coach at a P5 program when things are going well at current job. I think there is only a slight chance Malzahn would do this no matter the outcome of the Ala-Auburn game on Sat.

That leaves young Norvell. I've said he will take another job before coming to the dumpster fire now known as Arkansas Razorback football. And before you say, "we are no dumpster fire!". The SEC record over past 6 seasons at Arkansas is the worst in the SEC over the last 6 years. 14th out of 14. Relative to the SEC and relative to how Arkansas was performing under Nutt and Petrino immediately before 6 seasons ago, Arkansas is the definition of a dumpster fire. I still think he goes to TN before he comes to Arkansas. If Fuente leaves Va Tech, I could see Norvell replacing him there before coming to Arkansas. I can easily be wrong here but we'll all know shortly.

Who does that leave for Arkansas? Don't want Leach, Malzhan and Norvell not coming. Who then? I am asking because I don't know who is 4th and 5th and 6th on the list.

PS. Not sure NWA and the U of A are ready for Kristy Malzahn unless Gus has figured out a way to muzzle her over the past 5 years.

Yeah, makes the most sense.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

WilsonHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 23, 2017, 10:01:13 am
One more thing on this:

You're probably down into Charlie Strong and Skip Holtz territory.

Paul

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 22, 2017, 02:51:22 pm
Is there any source or coverage out there from Arizona State that he's a high-level recruiter? If there is, I haven't found it.
Yes.  There is a link to Az Central article where Todd Graham says Norvell is the the best asst he has ever had( that includes Gus) & a great recruiter(don't remember if he said the best).  The link has been posted many times on the coaching forum.  Look for it. I'm cooking!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 23, 2017, 10:33:05 am
You're probably down into Charlie Strong and Skip Holtz territory.

Charlie Strong was a horrible fit at Texas. That doesn't make him a bad coach per se, but definitely needs to write another chapter before he takes another high-level job.
This is my non-signature signature.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 22, 2017, 02:54:51 pm
He just signed the highest rated class in Memphis history, 40 spots above Fuente's 2 years.

That is not true.  Their rankings according to 247:

2018: 75
2017: 56
2016: 61
2015: 77

WilsonHog

Because our job isn't a great one, especially in the context of the SEC West, we'll wind up with a coach who has some type of emotional attachment to the job.

Styflin

Keep slinging mud

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: duckman on November 23, 2017, 01:43:46 am
I won't lie. I think he's an incredible offensive mind and will probably win anywhere he goes. With that said, I don't want him simply because I can't stand the thought of cheering for a team that does the prairie dog every play.
Dominic Fletcher following his homerun against Texas Tech in Omaha, "I thought they said this park was big?!"

Styflin

Quote from: BR on November 23, 2017, 06:25:47 am

You will still watch.
Quote from: The Chief on November 23, 2017, 07:53:55 am
I promise you this: if Gus is hired and fails to deliver (which I think he won't win more than 8 games here based on his auburn record), we'll have a hugger situation on our hands that made the hootie hugger episode look like child's play.

"But, but, this is his dreeeeeeeeaaaam job. We can't fire him because he's the best we can do."  Mark my words.

I agree it would be difficult to move on from Gus if it didn't work out, but you don't NOT hire the best coach on your board because it might be hard to fire him.

I certainly wouldn't be thinking about how to fire him before he even coaches a game. I would be focused on how to help him be successful.

elksnort

Quote from: Breems on November 22, 2017, 10:53:37 pm
I have yet to hear a rational response about why someone dislikes Gus so much.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 23, 2017, 10:55:58 am
Because our job isn't a great one, especially in the context of the SEC West, we'll wind up with a coach who has some type of emotional attachment to the job.

I don't buy that.

GuvHog

Quote from: Styflin on November 23, 2017, 11:02:05 am
You will still watch.
I agree it would be difficult to move on from Gus if it didn't work out, but you don't NOT hire the best coach on your board because it might be hard to fire him.

I certainly wouldn't be thinking about how to fire him before he even coaches a game. I would be focused on how to help him be successful.

Gus isn't worth paying 6.5 Million a year to get.