Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Norvell

Started by snoot hoggy hog, September 16, 2017, 01:03:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorPiggie

I'd still like to find the article that says Arkansas is his "dream job."

jkstock04

Quote from: sickboy on September 16, 2017, 04:06:47 pm
Every fan base in America clamors for the up and coming coach from a small conference who upsets bigger teams. The problem is, one in a million of those coaches turn out to be elite coaches who can lead a power SEC program. Urban Meyer is the last coach who I can remember that actually turned out to be that coach. Can't name another one in recent memory.
Good call...let's keep trying to throw 4-5 million with 10 year contract extensions and insane buyouts at retread 50 plus year old coaches. Maybe if we are real lucky we could get Phil Fulmer out of retirement for about 6 million/year. I'm sure he would be hungry and energetic on the recruiting trail!

lol no....next time around needs to be a guy like this. I agree with what someone else said. I saw a coach and team that refused to lose. We need that on our sidelines
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

twistitup

Quote from: BroyledNutts on September 16, 2017, 03:26:30 pm
Can he recruit at an SEC level and get them to campus?

He can probably recruit AR and TX well since played ball at UCA / raised in TX
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hawgon

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 18, 2017, 10:32:46 am

I haven't found that one but there was a recent one about potential candidates for the Ole Miss job that said that while Ole Miss should look at him seriously, he was probably holding out for the Arkansas job.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: hawgon on September 18, 2017, 10:41:22 am
I haven't found that one but there was a recent one about potential candidates for the Ole Miss job that said that while Ole Miss should look at him seriously, he was probably holding out for the Arkansas job.

I guess because he played college ball in the state?

hawgon

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 18, 2017, 10:42:56 am
I guess because he played college ball in the state?

Not sure, more likely he has told someone that considering that the writer of the article in question was a Memphis area Ole Miss guy.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: twistitup on September 18, 2017, 10:40:45 am
He can probably recruit AR and TX well since played ball at UCA / raised in TX

Thanks Twist ... know nothing of the man - was wondering what his SEC level qualifications were ...

clutch

Quote from: hawgon on September 18, 2017, 10:41:22 am

That's the article everyone is referring to. There wasn't one that flat out said it was his dream job, just that they had heard that he was holding out for the Arkansas job because that was the job he really wanted.

I've met him a few times at coaching clinics. Super nice guy, extremely smart too. He always says that he considers Arkansas home, even though he isn't technically from here. He said his time at UCA, his wife being from Fort Smith, and her family still living here make Arkansas feel like home to him.

Bebop

I think Brohm has the HC experience over Norvell, but I will wait to see how the rest of this season pans out for Norvell. If he continues to do well, then he will be high on my list.

hawgon

Being in Memphis, Norvell will have an SEC job sooner rather than later if he continues to do well.  I'm not saying that we have to hire him, I just hope he isn't one we look back at having let get away.

hogfanincajunland

http://wreg.com/2015/12/03/mike-norvell-to-become-next-football-coach-at-memphis/

"Norvell, who is 34, is the youngest head coach in major college football.  He has worked under veteran head coach Todd Graham at Arizona State, Pittsburgh and Tulsa for the past nine seasons.  Norvell was instrumental in Arizona State having one of the nation's top producing offenses the past few years.  He also coached quarterbacks at ASU.  He's known as a great recruiter, who has concentrated on prospects in the states of Arkansas, Texas and Oklahoma."

codeHog

he would love to be at ARKANSAS and that was said long before now

per one of his friends

Tusks

I don't know if it makes or breaks his him but comments by the QB that he recruited to Memphis I thought was a great example of his capabilities.

That guy threw for 9,000 yards in HS.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hogblitz

Geoff Calkins just stated on Memphis Radio that Arkansas is the front runner for Norvell's services. 

jgphillips3

Today, I'd pick Brohm over Norvell for more track record being available.  Norvell looks good but he could be Stan Heath.  However, until a vacancy opens or will open, I'm not going to invest too much energy into it.

Paul

Quote from: hogblitz on September 18, 2017, 03:07:07 pm
Geoff Calkins just stated on Memphis Radio that Arkansas is the front runner for Norvell's services.
me likey!  Calkins is a very dependable source.

Paul

Quote from: jgphillips3 on September 18, 2017, 03:15:43 pm
Today, I'd pick Brohm over Norvell for more track record being available.  Norvell looks good but he could be Stan Heath.  However, until a vacancy opens or will open, I'm not going to invest too much energy into it.
does Brohm have any motorcycles?

Redhogs

Quote from: BroyledNutts on September 18, 2017, 01:37:04 pm
Thanks Twist ... know nothing of the man - was wondering what his SEC level qualifications were ...
About the same as Bert's when he was hired....would trade him for BB in a heartbeat.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hogcard1964

PonderinHog

Quote from: Paul on September 18, 2017, 03:17:33 pm
No, but his girlfriend does.  We're good to go!

TX HOG

I see several jobs opening up by the end of the year. Hope if we make a move it's not too late.

hogfanincajunland

http://winningcureseverything.com/memphis-tigers-2017-college-football-season-predictions/

Don't know anything about these guys but this is one of their "predictions" for 2017.

"I think the Tigers end up in the Cotton Bowl on Dec. 29th.
Which also brings about a bit of bad news.  I believe Bret Bielema does not get things going at Arkansas, he is let go at the end of the season, and the Razorbacks bring Norvell home as head coach.
Remember, Norvell played college football at Central Arkansas, and his wife is from Fort Smith."

I truly hope the Hogs turn things around but, if not, this scenario works for me.

Paul

Quote from: hogfanincajunland on September 18, 2017, 03:43:39 pm
http://winningcureseverything.com/memphis-tigers-2017-college-football-season-predictions/

Don't know anything about these guys but this is one of their "predictions" for 2017.

"I think the Tigers end up in the Cotton Bowl on Dec. 29th.
Which also brings about a bit of bad news.  I believe Bret Bielema does not get things going at Arkansas, he is let go at the end of the season, and the Razorbacks bring Norvell home as head coach.
Remember, Norvell played college football at Central Arkansas, and his wife is from Fort Smith."

I truly hope the Hogs turn things around but, if not, this scenario works for me.
like a lot of urban universities with limited recruiting budgets & not much of a football tradition, Memphis puts  their most talented athletes on offense.  They must outscore their opponents.  They have virtually no chance of going to the Cotton Bowl.

Tusks

I don't like to play 'he won't stay' card but Brohm may always be eyeing Louisville while he's the Hog coach.  The hogs could get caught in the 'I want to go home' situation. 

I like Norvell because of his offensive mind.  He's really making chicken salad out of chicken crap at Mem., which should be a requirement for the HC of the Hogs.

RazorbackAlways

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 18, 2017, 10:32:46 am

This. And does anyone think he's too young and inexperienced?

TX HOG

Just in the SEC alone these could have vacancies
LSU
Auburn
Tennessee
Arkansas
Ole Miss
aTm
Mississippi St if Mullen takes a diff job

hogginbama

Quote from: ZERO on September 16, 2017, 05:07:47 pm
Some coaches get hired with no previous D1 HC experience. Bob Stoops was one of them, I'm pretty sure.

Now we know why Stoops retired. Jerry slid him some money to retire and set out a year or so. That saves us money on the buyout for CBB and Stoops.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: Paul on September 18, 2017, 03:17:33 pm

Why, motorcycles don't get you fired, girlfriends do.

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: tusked on September 18, 2017, 04:20:00 pm
I don't like to play 'he won't stay' card but Brohm may always be eyeing Louisville while he's the Hog coach.  The hogs could get caught in the 'I want to go home' situation. 

I like Norvell because of his offensive mind.  He's really making chicken salad out of chicken crap at Mem., which should be a requirement for the HC of the Hogs.

You make it sound as if Fuente left them in bad shape.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tusked on September 18, 2017, 04:20:00 pm

That's a baloney post. JF built Memphis from nothing. He's only been gone one full year. MN inherited a lot of players from JF. Yes he has supplemented well. ALL programs lose players. MN bight be a great coach but it is way to early in his head coaching career to to say he's a proven head coach. He's only coached one full season and a couple of games this year.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Ironhawg on September 18, 2017, 10:06:01 am
I am kind of surprised by Butch Jones' struggles at Tennessee.  He was successful at Central Michigan and Cincinnati.  He started rough at Tenner but had back-to-back 9-4 seasons his last two. 

He pretty much followed Brian Kelly to each of those schools. He isn't doing terrible at Tennessee in my opinion, but expectations are a lot higher there than they are here.  He is 9-4 each of the last 2 years.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

RedRock

Does anyone know anything about this coach?  Appears he has a good offensive mind.  Maybe someone to consider in the future?

JaketheSnake

RedRock

Sounds fair. Thanks for the guidance.

presidenthog

I like frost from UCF. He is higher than Norvell on my board.

The Hawg Marshal

UCF put a whippin on them Saturday.

Quote from: presidenthog on October 01, 2017, 09:34:51 pm
I like frost from UCF. He is higher than Norvell on my board.
He's the next Nebraska coach.

Hogtied85

Someone started a petition to hire Mike Norvell.
Does anyone know anything about him?

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/366/757/680/hire-mike-norvell/

onebadrubi

Guy doesn't have enough history for me.  He also walked in too a program where someone else did all the work to turn it around and he walked in and kept the good going, instead of getting it going. 

He is flavor of the week and also went to UCA.  He might very well work out, but his resume is not good enough yet, in my opinion. 

Danny J

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 10, 2017, 09:39:45 am
Guy doesn't have enough history for me.  He also walked in too a program where someone else did all the work to turn it around and he walked in and kept the good going, instead of getting it going. 

He is flavor of the week and also went to UCA.  He might very well work out, but his resume is not good enough yet, in my opinion.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hogtired10 on October 10, 2017, 09:09:18 am
Someone started a petition to hire Mike Norvell.
Does anyone know anything about him?

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/366/757/680/hire-mike-norvell/

Do you live in a cave?

Tusks

There's a reason it's called 'catching lightning in a bottle'.  Norvell falls into that category.

I like him, google his recruiting of their current QB.  He out recruited the hogs for him and he threw for 8,000 yards in HS in NC.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 10, 2017, 09:39:45 am

I get what you are saying and agree somewhat, but Bret had a great resume and we all see how that worked out.

ipigsooie

I agree. I'm on record as being a fan!

navyhog24

I think JL should look at Craig Bohl. The guy made North Dakota State a powerhouse in D2 and is now turning around Wyoming. I know he's a bit older at 59, but he looks like a guy that can build a program from the ground up.

onebadrubi

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 10, 2017, 09:48:18 am
I get what you are saying and agree somewhat, but Bret had a great resume and we all see how that worked out.

With what we know now, BB was managing what someone else built.  The same could be said for Norvell thus far. 

The_Iceman

- 35 years old.
- Only in his 2nd year as a Head coach.
- Took over a program built by Fuente.

Not sure about him. Not proven enough.

ipigsooie

Todd Graham said he is the best assistant coach that ever worked under him. His past assistants include Chad Morris and Gus Malzahn

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 10, 2017, 10:02:12 am
- 35 years old.
- Only in his 2nd year as a Head coach.
- Took over a program built by Fuente.

Not sure about him. Not proven enough.

I think he's the Stan Heath of football.  He'll want Bielema-type money and I don't think he's proven he's worth it yet.  Would much rather have Brohm.