Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fire Jimmy Dykes

Started by The hog meister, November 04, 2016, 06:22:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

Quote from: flippinhogmana on December 09, 2016, 10:28:37 am
1highhog:   The fact is that the first year a coach takes over a program it is always (or nearly always) with what the other coach has left in terms of the players.  You are giving far to much credit to JD for that first year.  This is the test year for JD, not the first two.  If you think they were young last year, just wait until next year with all his experienced Bigs gone.

I am a Jimmy fan so I may come across  a little bias but if Jimmy was not a pretty good coach he could have ruined that 1st years team.   They were used to doing it their way so he could of made them do something they were either not capable of doing or not willing to do.  I agree with you that these players are his team. 

I also agree that Jimmy needs to sign at least one big girl in the spring.  Maybe he will bring in a Senior Transfer with immediate eligibility or an older JUCO.    Maybe Ratliff will be ready to help some next year but from what others have reported she may need another year or two.

flippinhogmana

December 09, 2016, 12:24:00 pm #51 Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 02:57:05 pm by flippinhogmana
He had Callie Berna, Melissa Wolff and Jasmine Bowen that first year.  Three lunch pail girls who would let the team go down.  We havent had as much leadership since, but I am hoping that AC and JJ being seniors will find a way to grow into that role more and more.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

MoHog74

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on December 09, 2016, 08:29:02 am
I respectfully disagree with you on several comments.  His first year, he had five very good starters including Jackson, Berna, Brooks, Wolf, and Bowen.  Granted he had little bench.  They made the NCAA because of those players - not because of the coach.  They were good defensively because they had been taught good defense by their former defensive coach - Nicki Collen.

This statement is entirely correct.  Anyone who has been following AR WBB for the past 5 years would have to agree with this.

1highhog

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on December 09, 2016, 08:29:02 am
I respectfully disagree with you on several comments.  His first year, he had five very good starters including Jackson, Berna, Brooks, Wolf, and Bowen.  Granted he had little bench.  They made the NCAA because of those players - not because of the coach.  They were good defensively because they had been taught good defense by their former defensive coach - Nicki Collen.
Last year granted they were young and had a tougher non-conference schedule than they have this year.  They are undefeated this year because of their really weak non-conference schedule - something JD said he would never do in his criticism of Collen.  However, TC never had a non-conference schedule as weak as this year's is.  I believe they should win at least half of their games in the SEC with the talent that we have.  If we do then we can discuss how he is building the program.  This team is truly JD's as Jackson is the only player that he did not recruit.  I like all players on this year's roster who play (Stout does not play and Ratliff is being redshirted).  I cannot say that in previous years as I would say "oh no" when a substitute was used.

Trust me, I have no problems with anyone disagreeing with me on here, that's what a message board allows fans to do, to get on here and talk about the team and the way "we" think it's heading.  Now I may be wrong on this, but is basketball different to where you schedule your games you're going to play the following season year by year?  If it is, what a messed up way of doing things it seems to me.  The reason I bring this up is that you said (They are undefeated this year because of their really weak non-conference schedule - something JD said he would never do in his criticism of Collen.  However, TC never had a non-conference schedule as weak as this year's is.)  So that's what I'm getting at, this is the start of year 3 and Coach Dykes has already made this years schedule they're playing now?  Is that the same, (anyone who may know) with the men's program as well?  I thought the schedules were made way further in advance than that.  Other than that, I had no problem with what you had to say, thanks for the input.

flippinhogmana

obviously high his first year schedule was set, but by year three he has some flexibility.  The conference schedule is set by the league.  Non conference, some teams are set for home and home and multi-year deals but most of the rest of non conference the coach gets a say it for the preceding year so long as he is there in place in time (the ad I think actually does it but JD can by this time have his pick of teams that are available among the rent a wins.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

1highhog

Quote from: flippinhogmana on December 09, 2016, 04:33:34 pm
obviously high his first year schedule was set, but by year three he has some flexibility.  The conference schedule is set by the league.  Non conference, some teams are set for home and home and multi-year deals but most of the rest of non conference the coach gets a say it for the preceding year so long as he is there in place in time (the ad I think actually does it but JD can by this time have his pick of teams that are available among the rent a wins.

Okay. didn't know how that works.  I watch and keep up with a lot more Football.  I know that it seems as though their schedules seem locked in place years in advance.

flippinhogmana

true.  In football especially they are partly that way because of tv coverage and things like that (the need to protect and produce revenue), still the rent a wins part of the schedule is most flexible.  Against another D1 top flight university I dont think you are going to get one on the schedule less than about five years out.

LadybackBBFan

Coach Dykes was totally responsible for this year's non-conference schedule.  Some were agreements that he made last year when he visited their home (eg. Butler & Oral Roberts) or when they played here (eg. Tulsa and Missouri State).  The most glaring weakness was the Thanksgiving Tournament where we were the only legitimate team.