Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

After a few days to reflect, read posts and hear call in shows it seems obvious.

Started by hobhog, March 21, 2018, 12:26:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hobhog

MA will have next year and his young recruits to save his job. He may do it as all he needs to do is dance again in year 8. But if not it will be the first and most important hire of our young ADs career.

On to baseball and spring football......

Sharky

Quote from: hobhog on March 21, 2018, 12:26:32 am
MA will have next year and his young recruits to save his job. He may do it as all he needs to do is dance again in year 8. But if not it will be the first and most important hire of our young ADs career.

On to baseball and spring football......

I wonder how many teams the SEC will get into the tournament next year. I bet it won't be 8.

HognotinMemphis

Next year is going to be a big step down from this year. 10-8 in SEC this year. They will do well to win 7 games in SEC next season. That means they will do well to finish .500 overall. That will not cut it. I bet next season is Mike's last at Arkansas.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

systemroot

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 21, 2018, 09:29:20 am
Next year is going to be a big step down from this year. 10-8 in SEC this year. They will do well to win 7 games in SEC next season. That means they will do well to finish .500 overall. That will not cut it. I bet next season is Mike's last at Arkansas.

Which is beyond stupid. Exactly which top notch coach is Arkansas going to get? Mike Anderson has had progression during his time here and losing one of his top players to the draft should not put Mike at fault. He has some solid recruits coming in and he can still go get another big man for the next year as well.

Arkansas fans needs to stop putting the cart before the horse.

Smalltownhog95

Quote from: systemroot on March 21, 2018, 10:18:42 am
Which is beyond stupid. Exactly which top notch coach is Arkansas going to get? Mike Anderson has had progression during his time here and losing one of his top players to the draft should not put Mike at fault. He has some solid recruits coming in and he can still go get another big man for the next year as well.

Im getting sick and tired of this argument. Never leave your current job cuz you may hate the next one. Don't break up with your GF cuz this one is ok but the nect one may not be great. Mike Anderson isn't going to do anything special here. Even if the next hire flops at least we tried and we can try again until we get it right. Enjoy your life being complacent. Others want to see us win.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

systemroot

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on March 21, 2018, 10:23:07 am
Im getting sick and tired of this argument. Never leave your current job cuz you may hate the next one. Don't break up with your GF cuz this one is ok but the nect one may not be great. Mike Anderson isn't going to do anything special here. Even if the next hire flops at least we tried and we can try again until we get it right. Enjoy your life being complacent. Others want to see us win.

I am getting sick and tired of people like you always whining and crying about how things are not going your way. You say that you would rather see Arkansas fire Mike just so they can say that they at least tried but then dunderheads like you would still complain.

Again, if you could please give a list of three coaches that would legitimately come to Arkansas, then by all means, list them. I simply think it is stupid to fire a coach who has continued to show progress and the least we could do as fans is remain loyal to the program.

Stop being a spoiled brat who doesn't get your way.

riccoar

Any program get get any coach they want, IF the money is right.  Anderson is not the best Arkansas can do, but it's certainly not the worst.  He's going to get next season.  IMHO, if Gafford comes back, there should be no excuse to duplicate or improve on what we got in 2017-2018.

Razorpigg

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 21, 2018, 09:29:20 am

I would wager you are wrong too.  Our program is in great shape and he is respected highly by everyone that matters (and no that does not include ANY of you hogville MA haters). Attendance was at a level we havent seen in a long, long time, and CMA is deeply rooted in his job.

Hawg Red

This is just simply isn't as easy to me as it seems for some. I don't think it's as simple as we miss the tourney in 2019 and he's canned. Subtract the loss to Butler and most were probably pretty happy with Mike. Now, don't get me wrong, that loss to Butler changed A LOT. It's a big, big strike against him. And following it up with missing the tournament will be another big strike. Are we playing ball here? Does it take just one more strike? Would declining ticket sales be that strike? Is that even something that can be felt this soon or do we feel/see the effects of that in the 2019-2020 season?

Then there's what we do if they do let him go. What kind of signal does that send to other coaches? Mike Anderson, a longtime assistant to Nolan Richardson, who had success at UAB and Missouri and then came back to Arkansas and dusted the program off in many ways by getting them back in the NCAA tournament regularly and competing in the SEC tournament and finishing in the top half of the league gets fired for missing the tournament a year after leading the Hogs to back-to-back tournaments? That could scream "unrealistic expectations" to some good coaches. We get it as fans. We're closer to the situation. We know not much is going to change. I guess it depends on if the AD has a good feeling on being able to upgrade. I'm not a fan of firing just because you're over a coach (which is where a lot of fans are). Timing needs to be right and I'm not sure the timing would be right after next season given everything I've laid out. But if it happened, I'd be excited for a change. I'd just be worried about not being able to truly upgrade. I think we're in a tough spot either way for the next couple of years unless someone truly game-changing reaches out to the AD and wants to be a part of the SEC. Who is that? I don't know. Marshall? Can't really think of why he'd want to come here over where he's at. If he's going to leave for a tougher job, it's going to be somewhere where he can get recruiting talent to match the task at hand.

I'm firmly of the belief that we're never really going to do anything with Mike. I think we finally got what should have been a favorable draw in the NCAA tournament this year (at least relative to previous years). I get that Butler was underseeded by many but, at best, they were about equal with Arkansas so it was more of an 8/9 seed matchup but Purdue was beatable and lost their big man. We weren't matched up with UNC in the second round. My outlook would probably be different if we beat Butler and came up a little short against Purdue. I could have held on with that, another second round loss. But we just got outclassed by a first-year high-major coach and lost by friggin' 17 points.

Hawg Red

Quote from: riccoar on March 21, 2018, 10:34:26 am
Any program get get any coach they want, IF the money is right.  Anderson is not the best Arkansas can do, but it's certainly not the worst.  He's going to get next season.  IMHO, if Gafford comes back, there should be no excuse to duplicate or improve on what we got in 2017-2018.

Really?

6 seniors this year and 0 next season with Adrio Baily and C.J. Jones being the upperclassmen. Expectations can only be lower for next season. To expect more is expecting too much from freshmen.

bvillepig

What makes all of you fortune tellers and doom and gloom types able to tell how next season is going to play out before the first game is played 7 1/2 months from now.  Basketball is a team sport and the next group just might jell a little better than this last group. Not knocking all the seniors at all. I think they got alot out of their individual talents but their were were times where they were individuals playing the game.

HF#1

Cart before the horse?? He's been here 7 years going on 8 years. 2 tournament appearances, no real accomplishments. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

PonderinHog

Quote from: HF#1 on March 21, 2018, 11:06:26 am
Cart before the horse?? He's been here 7 years going on 8 years. 2 tournament appearances, no real accomplishments.
3 NCAAs, 1 NIT

The Boar War

Exactly.  It's not unreasonable for Arkansas to strike out on its first choice only to end up with a sub .500 head coach. We did it in football (and that change was completely justified).  Or maybe we end up with someone like Kermit Davis.  How exciting would that be?  It's not an unreasonable fear. 

Still some fans would rather treat coaching hires like throwing spit wads at the wall (to see which one will stick) rather than the multi year, multimillion dollar investment they are.

steveaustin69

Quote from: systemroot on March 21, 2018, 10:28:56 am
I am getting sick and tired of people like you always whining and crying about how things are not going your way. You say that you would rather see Arkansas fire Mike just so they can say that they at least tried but then dunderheads like you would still complain.

Again, if you could please give a list of three coaches that would legitimately come to Arkansas, then by all means, list them. I simply think it is stupid to fire a coach who has continued to show progress and the least we could do as fans is remain loyal to the program.

Stop being a spoiled brat who doesn't get your way.

Matta, Cronin, Mack

Throw the check book at 'em.

Take Musselman if you want an up and comer.

There is no progress; his teams have done the same things wrong for seven years. We are going to give 6 freshmen big minutes in year 8. That'd be fine if they were UK level freshmen; they're not.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Razorpigg on March 21, 2018, 10:45:05 am
I would wager you are wrong too.  Our program is in great shape and he is respected highly by everyone that matters (and no that does not include ANY of you hogville MA haters). Attendance was at a level we havent seen in a long, long time, and CMA is deeply rooted in his job.

He's respected because he's a good man and a nice guy. Not because he's a good basketball coach.

steveaustin69

On another note I cannot believe people think back to back tourneys is some kind of special feat. Stan Freaking Heath did that, and would've done it a third if he didn't get fired for losing in the tournament (why is Anderson's leash so long???????)

The Boar War

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 21, 2018, 12:19:57 pm
Matta, Cronin, Mack

And when all four refuse...

systemroot

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 21, 2018, 12:19:57 pm
Matta, Cronin, Mack

There is no progress; his teams have done the same things wrong for seven years. We are going to give 6 freshmen big minutes in year 8. That'd be fine if they were UK level freshmen; they're not.

Cronin and Mack would have to be nuts to leave their programs for Arkansas but I do appreciate you putting some names down in the post to discuss. I'm not too sure about Matta though. I would prefer Andy Kennedy over Matta, more so due to playing style.

batmanfan

Next year should be make or break. It's his roster. It's no fault but his own that he recruited the HS ranks worst than anyone in the SEC from '14-'16. He had a free pass year in his 5th season and 3 years later he may be back in the same boat after not really accomplishing anything in years 6 and 7. If he wanted another free pass year he should have built up more equity to get one.

I hope it works out. I hope next years team makes the tourney and the young guys show alot of promise. It would be alot better for that to happen than to have to start over again.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

The Boar War

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 21, 2018, 12:27:15 pm
On another note I cannot believe people think back to back tourneys is some kind of special feat. Stan Freaking Heath did that, and would've done it a third if he didn't get fired for losing in the tournament (why is Anderson's leash so long???????)

Dropping attendance, boring basketball, and a largely ineligible team is what got Heath fired.

pigture perfect

We will have Mike as long as Mike wants to be here. Even if we only win 15 games a year for the next 10 years (I know we will win more than that) Mike will still be the man. We will never be rid of him.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

steveaustin69

Quote from: The Boar War on March 21, 2018, 12:27:35 pm

Mike is MAYBE a top 40 coach.  Guess we should just suck it up, right?

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 18, 2018, 05:49:33 pm
No. No he's not. That's an absurd claim.

Izzo, Coach K, Boeheim, Roy Williams, Bill Self, Jay Wright, Tony Bennet, Pearl, Shakha Smart, Greg Marshall, Few, Bielien, Beard, Mike White, Huggins, Buzz Williams, Laranaga, Archie Miller, Sean Miller, Calipari, Scott Drew, Jamie Dixon, Leonard Hamilton, Mike Brey, Mick Cronin

Those are just off the top of my head and disregarding up and comers. He's not a top 25 coach.

There are many guys I'd rather have.

Why did you only focus on the names i put? Got a response to Mike's performance?

steveaustin69

Quote from: The Boar War on March 21, 2018, 12:34:42 pm

Dropping attendance, boring basketball, and a largely ineligible team is what got Heath fired.

He went to back to back tourneys though! What a feat! Anderson's got a lifetime contract in some's eyes because he did that

Oliver

Then find the next best available option.  Pretty standard coaching search type stuff.

systemroot

Too many have the mindset of "anybody but Mike Anderson". I could list off several names that sounds good for Arkansas but I just don't believe Arkansas is a place where coaches would want to come to.

hobhog

You go to the next. Next year there will be hot coaches available. Always are. Difference is we will most likely be in the market to try.

If MA makes tourney with next years team he deserves to stay but.....

OkieBack

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 21, 2018, 12:40:10 pm
We will have Mike as long as Mike wants to be here. Even if we only win 15 games a year for the next 10 years (I know we will win more than that) Mike will still be the man. We will never be rid of him.

I don't buy that.  But I think it will make the AD's job very difficult if the Hogs show some promise in the Freshmen but only go say 17-13.  The what do you do with CMA?  Do you give him 2019-2020 to see how the team develops?  Or do you cut bait and fish for another coach of equal or better quality? 

Tough decision to come a year from now unless the Hogs either flop royally or the Freshmen play unbelievably well to get in the NCAAT.  Keep the big guy and your job is a bit easier.  Lose him and it will be tough.

hobhog

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 21, 2018, 12:40:10 pm

Mantra is getting really old. Yurachek knows better....

hobhog

Quote from: OkieBack on March 21, 2018, 01:02:10 pm
I don't buy that.  But I think it will make the AD's job very difficult if the Hogs show some promise in the Freshmen but only go say 17-13.  The what do you do with CMA?  Do you give him 2019-2020 to see how the team develops?  Or do you cut bait and fish for another coach of equal or better quality? 

Tough decision to come a year from now unless the Hogs either flop royally or the Freshmen play unbelievably well to get in the NCAAT.  Keep the big guy and your job is a bit easier.  Lose him and it will be tough.

Great coaches show their mettle after 2-3 years. Doesn't take 7-8.

steveaustin69

Quote from: systemroot on March 21, 2018, 12:48:22 pm
Too many have the mindset of "anybody but Mike Anderson". I could list off several names that sounds good for Arkansas but I just don't believe Arkansas is a place where coaches would want to come to.

Auburn would have stuck with Tony Barbee with this mindset. They weren't even that good with Charles Barkley. They should have just been happy being terrible and not try to improve.

Darren DeLoach

I could list off several names that sounds good for Arkansas but I just don't believe Arkansas is a place where coaches would want to come to.

And you are wrong...

This isn't football in which the state produces very little top level talent. If we had just signed the best in-state players over his career here, we would not be having this discussion. If that in-state talent was lacking in character, then have some type of recruiting system that ensures that we can keep a steady supply of talent. So with that said, this state has talent in the sport that can be easily mined, borders areas that are full of talented bball players that go largely ignored, the program is well funded, has top-level facilities, and salaries are on par with perennial top 15 programs.  THERE IS EVERYTHING NEEDED HERE TO BE A TOP 15 PROGRAM.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

systemroot

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on March 21, 2018, 01:17:02 pm
And you are wrong...

This isn't football in which the state produces very little top level talent. If we had just signed the best in-state players over his career here, we would not be having this discussion. If that in-state talent was lacking in character, then have some type of recruiting system that ensures that we can keep a steady supply of talent. So with that said, this state has talent in the sport that can be easily mined, borders areas that are full of talented bball players that go largely ignored, the program is well funded, has top-level facilities, and salaries are on par with perennial top 15 programs.  THERE IS EVERYTHING NEEDED HERE TO BE A TOP 15 PROGRAM.

The best we could do after NR was Stan Heath? The best we could do after Heath was Altman? Oops, he recognized the dumpster fire here. The best we could do after Altman was Pelphrey?

Lecturing me about how this isn't football isn't going to sway my opinion on the matter. No coach in their right mind was going to leave a solid program to come here to fix Arkansas unless they truly WANTED to be here. Nobody needs this job, you have to want to be here and that is exactly what we have in Mike Anderson. Say what you will about the man but I love the fact that he WANTS to be here.

OkieBack

Quote from: hobhog on March 21, 2018, 01:04:05 pm
Great coaches show their mettle after 2-3 years. Doesn't take 7-8.

Unfortunately I agree that yes, great basketball coaches seem to get results in 2-4 years after hire.  The question is...if the Hogs don't reach the NCAAT next year can the school find a GREAT coach to hire?  Or would a coaching change result in a "good" coaching hire. 

I would say Mike falls under a "good" coach at this point instead of a "great" coach.  A good coach may be able to make the Sweet 16 but may be not in 2-4 years.  Most would agree Dean Smith was a great basketball coach but it still took him 10 years to win a National Title I believe (1961 - 1971).  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: systemroot on March 21, 2018, 01:28:59 pm
The best we could do after NR was Stan Heath? The best we could do after Heath was Altman? Oops, he recognized the dumpster fire here. The best we could do after Altman was Pelphrey?

Lecturing me about how this isn't football isn't going to sway my opinion on the matter. No coach in their right mind was going to leave a solid program to come here to fix Arkansas unless they truly WANTED to be here. Nobody needs this job, you have to want to be here and that is exactly what we have in Mike Anderson. Say what you will about the man but I love the fact that he WANTS to be here.

I'd rather pay a mercenary $3.5M a year win something of significance and have him move to UK when Cal retires. But hey, that's just me. I like to win. You like loyalty.

I'm not a D1 coach but I'd imagine what's important to most is: 1) Money (We've got it) 2) Can i win there? (You can win at Arkansas) 3) Does this have the potential to be a career limiting move? (Only in failure)

If you think Heath was the best we could get I've got some ocean front property in Lonoke for sale.

orvillesghost

Making the tournament is no real big accomplishment, hell the durn thing has 68 teams now.

Atlhogfan1

::)
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

I'd sure like to find out.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HognotinMemphis

Idiots always start with "who else can we get to come here?". So stupid to not be able to flesh out a reasonable point against my opinion.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Dirty

They won't refuse because we are mighty Arkansas who just fired a coach for not having a losing season and back, to back, to back (I Hope) NCAA appearances. 

But Steve 69 know everything!!!

steveaustin69

Quote from: Dirty on March 21, 2018, 03:06:38 pm
They won't refuse because we are mighty Arkansas who just fired a coach for not having a losing season and back, to back, to back (I Hope) NCAA appearances. 

Yea. Hope.

I'm not gonna touch the no losing seasons deal; if you hang your hat on that we don't have much in common or are gonna agree on anything.

Kevin

Quote from: Dirty on March 21, 2018, 03:06:38 pm

how many trophies has the guy brought home?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Dirty

The Boar War

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 21, 2018, 12:40:14 pm
Mike is MAYBE a top 40 coach.  Guess we should just suck it up, right?

If you can get a coach that is in the top thirty than go get him.  I don't think that Mike is the only guy who can win here.  I do think he was the best coach who would return our calls last coaching search.  Coaches don't move around anymore.  Most jobs pay really well so there's no reason to move to an unstable fan base if it isn't one of the blue bloods.

If we fire Mike we'll go out and swing for the fences, miss, and then end up settling for a .500 coach from the sunbelt conference.  But hey, we made a change.

Cargill A. BullHog

Coach A has earned himslef a lot of leeway when it comes to job security.  He has finally dug the Hogs out of the hole created by Stanley Heath and Pelphrey.  Folks don't realize how far we'd fallen.  We were a dumpster fire.  Coach A has taken us back to respectability.  And he was an integral part of the 94-95 Razorback teams that did the unimaginable.  Coach A is the man, and he'll get us back there soon.
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

steveaustin69

Quote from: The Boar War on March 21, 2018, 03:53:02 pm
If you can get a coach that is in the top thirty than go get him.  I don't think that Mike is the only guy who can win here.  I do think he was the best coach who would return our calls last coaching search.  Coaches don't move around anymore.  Most jobs pay really well so there's no reason to move to an unstable fan base if it isn't one of the blue bloods.

If we fire Mike we'll go out and swing for the fences, miss, and then end up settling for a .500 coach from the sunbelt conference.  But hey, we made a change.

You say that as if it's a fact someone else will fail. It's not. Or that we would have to go to one of the worse conferences in the nation. We wouldn't.

Are you satisfied with where we've gotten as of now? All indications are it's not going to drastically improve. We will continue to play bad defense, not rebound the ball well, not prepare for other teams, and lose to teams we shouldn't. Mike after 16 years isn't suddenly going to become a master recruiter or fix these flaws that his teams ALWAYS have.

okrazorback

systemroot

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 21, 2018, 04:17:14 pm
You say that as if it's a fact someone else will fail. It's not. Or that we would have to go to one of the worse conferences in the nation. We wouldn't.

Are you satisfied with where we've gotten as of now? All indications are it's not going to drastically improve. We will continue to play bad defense, not rebound the ball well, not prepare for other teams, and lose to teams we shouldn't. Mike after 16 years isn't suddenly going to become a master recruiter or fix these flaws that his teams ALWAYS have.

You are posting as if we are going to hit a home run regarding hiring a new basketball coach. That is not a fact either. The previous two hires were flat out bad hires. To compare Mike to Stan Heath and John Pelphrey pretty much tells me all I need to know about your outlook for the Razorback basketball program. It is to ignore the facts that Mike had to overcome many obstacles when hired to rebuild the Razorback program.

Let me remind you yet again about Dana Altman. That man saw the dumpster fire that was waiting for him at Fayetteville, the motherland of all earth according to most. In a nut shell Dana said, "I do not need this job" and went crawling back to the Creighton.

If we hire someone based on them "needing the job" and not "wanting the job", we are screwed. Mike wants the job. Put your big boy panties on and sit down somewhere. Lol

steveaustin69

Quote from: systemroot on March 21, 2018, 04:37:54 pm
You are posting as if we are going to hit a home run regarding hiring a new basketball coach. That is not a fact either. The previous two hires were flat out bad hires. To compare Mike to Stan Heath and John Pelphrey pretty much tells me all I need to know about your outlook for the Razorback basketball program. It is to ignore the facts that Mike had to overcome many obstacles when hired to rebuild the Razorback program.

Let me remind you yet again about Dana Altman. That man saw the dumpster fire that was waiting for him at Fayetteville, the motherland of all earth according to most. In a nut shell Dana said, "I do not need this job" and went crawling back to the Creighton.

If we hire someone based on them "needing the job" and not "wanting the job", we are screwed. Mike wants the job. Put your big boy panties on and sit down somewhere. Lol

No, I don't. There is risk involved in a coaching hire. I've never shied from that.

Are you satisfied? As I've stated all indications are it's not going to get much better.

I'm not, and willing to move on; a lot of our flaws are correctable and Mike is either too stubborn or too incompetent to fix.

I don't get why you're so obsessed with Mike wanting to be here. Pelphrey wanted the job. Heath wanted the job. What the hell did that have to do with anything?

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: systemroot on March 21, 2018, 01:28:59 pm

Geesh...Heath was a politically motivated hire due to the Richardson mess. We literally could have had any number of high profile guys. Heath was the next big thing with no track record, but more importantly...he was black and would take the job. He left a mess that Altman ran from. Altman was considered a huge get. The equivalent of a Greg Marshall. His sudden departure exposed the mess and left the team in a spot that, yes, only John P. would take on.

Again, you are clearly clueless about the program that you supposedly root for.

Or, you are too young to remember.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι