Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Collin Sexton

Started by niels_boar, March 14, 2018, 12:26:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

niels_boar

March 14, 2018, 12:26:30 pm Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 12:55:04 pm by niels_boar
I've got nothing against Collin Sexton.  I like his game. He's apparently a fantastic student, and he seems fairly team-oriented and coachable for a kid that has been this highly touted.  It's not his fault, but I'm sick to death of hearing about him in the media because he had two superb games in the SECT.  You've got ESPN comparing him to Kemba Walker and proclaiming that he could put six 30-point games in a row in the NCAAT.  He had three all season. He was 9 of 14 from the arc in those two games in the SECT.  In all likelihood he will regress to the mean far below that in the NCAAT.  He shot 24% from the arc in SEC play.

You know who was better than Collin Sexton in the SEC this year?  Both Jaylen Barford and Daryl Macon.  They averaged more points with far greater efficiency.  Macon had almost the same assist rate, while turning the ball over much less.  It chaps my arse that Macon and Barford don't get their due. They earned it and deserve it.  Both are as capable of exploding in the NCAAT as anybody if the stars align right and they catch fire.  Macon almost took the NCs out last year by himself.

That said, I hope Sexton tears the ACC a new one tomorrow.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

labb

Barford and Macon are going to lite up Butler, then the talking heads will jump on the band wagon.

jst01

One is 18 years old and leading a team from bubble to a lock in the tourney.

niels_boar

Quote from: jst01 on March 14, 2018, 12:51:03 pm
One is 18 years old and leading a team from bubble to a lock in the tourney.

Like Barford didn't have 27 points and 10 boards against a UF team that is probably better than A&M or Auburn right now.  How 'bout leading your team to safely in the tourney well before the SECT?

USChog

While I understand where you are coming from (the ESPN media darlings get old real quick), Barford and Macon did get 1st/2nd & 2nd/1st team all SEC this year. It is not like nobody noticed what they were doing. If they play at a high level the next two games, the media will be talking about them.

And to be fair, Sexton has some intangibles. That dude is crazy fast with some pretty amazing handles.

I got way more tired of hearing about Trae Young. I thought it was hilarious when he proclaimed to the media that his production had fallen off because he was being guarded. I thought it must be some kind of joke. That was the most laughable, asinine statement to make about why you/your team had digressed.

jst01

Quote from: niels_boar on March 14, 2018, 12:57:49 pm
Like Barford didn't have 27 points and 10 boards against a UF team that is probably better than A&M or Auburn right now.  How 'bout leading your team to safely in the tourney well before the SECT?

Again, Sexton is a year from HS. Barford was playing in JuCo in front of crowds of dozens at that age. I'm a Barford fan too, but I get why Sexton is getting all the talk.

niels_boar

Quote from: jst01 on March 14, 2018, 01:03:29 pm
Again, Sexton is a year from HS. Barford was playing in JuCo in front of crowds of dozens at that age. I'm a Barford fan too, but I get why Sexton is getting all the talk.

The NCAAT isn't about what anybody is going to be five years from now.  It's about the next three weeks.

31to6

Quote from: labb on March 14, 2018, 12:41:24 pm
Barford and Macon are going to lite up Butler, then the talking heads will jump on the band wagon.
I agree they will light up Butler. They are one of the few teams which has worse 3-pt defense than do we.

The real question is will we play with the defensive intensity we saw during the Florida game (a good 3-pt team) or will it be a shoot-out.

I would MUCH prefer a gritty defensive game with Butler experiencing multiple shot-clock violations. Turnovers and quick scores are great but nothing gets into the head of a team like barely getting across half-court and then trying to run their offense to have to settle for a desperation shot at the buzzer.

(TN killed us because they *made* all those desperation shots. The shooting was unreal. It's hard to shoot 70% against air.)

Atlhogfan1

The NCAAT is about entertainment and Sexton is a story that can be sold.  This is kind of like the Super Bowl where you get people tuning in who haven't paid attention all season and stories like Sexton being a young dynamic play maker works.

I agree Barford and Macon aren't getting the attention they deserve.  I have read some bracket projection stories though from people who do play close attention throughout the season who realize what a threat they are considering how guard play is so important in the tourney. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Breems

TOTALLY AGREE. It's getting really annoying. I know your post is about Sexton, but I need to rant on Bama...

QuoteAlabama-Virginia Tech will probably be the most picked 9-over-8 upset in the NCAA Tournament field. Crimson Tide point guard Collin Sexton is bringing one of the hottest hands into the postseason, and Alabama as a whole has played at a new level over the past few weeks.

Link

OH HAVE THEY?

After a 5-game losing streak, they beat 2 handicapped teams and got smashed by a good team. They lost 15 games. I picked VT without hesitation. They have some really good wins against the top dogs and @UVA. I should be rooting for Bama, but the media has soured me.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

311Hog

wasn't Sexton mentioned in the FBI stuff?

niels_boar

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 14, 2018, 01:25:47 pm
The NCAAT is about entertainment and Sexton is a story that can be sold.  This is kind of like the Super Bowl where you get people tuning in who haven't paid attention all season and stories like Sexton being a young dynamic play maker works.

I agree Barford and Macon aren't getting the attention they deserve.  I have read some bracket projection stories though from people who do play close attention throughout the season who realize what a threat they are considering how guard play is so important in the tourney.

I understand why they do it.  Still aggravates me relative to Barford and Macon, even though I like Sexton.  I've read comments about how Bama is a threat to Nova because Sexton can speed them up.  Villanova played at a significantly faster pace than Bama this season.  The coverage is so shallow.  It reminds me of the Steve Martin banjo standard "I can't believe I get paid for doing this".

Sexton is a top 10 NBA pick. That's why he gets the hype. Plus the shot to win the SECT game was great.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: niels_boar on March 14, 2018, 01:35:27 pm
I understand why they do it.  Still aggravates me relative to Barford and Macon, even though I like Sexton.  I've read comments about how Bama is a threat to Nova because Sexton can speed them up.  Villanova played at a significantly faster pace than Bama this season.  The coverage is so shallow.  It reminds me of the Steve Martin banjo standard "I can't believe I get paid for doing this".

I agree it is bad.  Don't believe Bama is much of a threat to do anything. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

niels_boar

Quote from: Breems on March 14, 2018, 01:33:15 pm
TOTALLY AGREE. It's getting really annoying. I know your post is about Sexton, but I need to rant on Bama...

OH HAVE THEY?

After a 5-game losing streak, they beat 2 handicapped teams and got smashed by a good team. They lost 15 games. I picked VT without hesitation. They have some really good wins against the top dogs and @UVA. I should be rooting for Bama, but the media has soured me.

I've heard commentators say that Arkansas hasn't played well lately as they pick Butler.  We are 8-3 in our last 11 games with 4 wins over NCAAT teams and 3 losses to NCAAT teams.  By contrast, Butler is 5 - 6 in their last 11 with 4 wins over NCAAT teams and 2 losses to teams that didn't even make the NIT.  All the teams we beat are seeded at least as high or higher than the teams Butler defeated in that span.  WTH?  Is lately the UT game?  Heck, we beat a #6-seed on a neutral court 15 hours earlier.

The Hogfather

Quote from: niels_boar on March 14, 2018, 12:26:30 pm
I've got nothing against Collin Sexton.  I like his game. He's apparently a fantastic student, and he seems fairly team-oriented and coachable for a kid that has been this highly touted.  It's not his fault, but I'm sick to death of hearing about him in the media because he had two superb games in the SECT.  You've got ESPN comparing him to Kemba Walker and proclaiming that he could put six 30-point games in a row in the NCAAT.  He had three all season. He was 9 of 14 from the arc in those two games in the SECT.  In all likelihood he will regress to the mean far below that in the NCAAT.  He shot 24% from the arc in SEC play.

You know who was better than Collin Sexton in the SEC this year?  Both Jaylen Barford and Daryl Macon.  They averaged more points with far greater efficiency.  Macon had almost the same assist rate, while turning the ball over much less.  It chaps my arse that Macon and Barford don't get their due. They earned it and deserve it.  Both are as capable of exploding in the NCAAT as anybody if the stars align right and they catch fire.  Macon almost took the NCs out last year by himself.

That said, I hope Sexton tears the ACC a new one tomorrow.

Similar to Kevaughn Allen getting hype (especially before this season) as one of the best guards in the SEC and he's basically a taller Anton Beard who shoots more, makes less, doesn't rebound as well, assists less, and fills out a uniform better.

The real Hogules

If I could pick and choose players from around the conference to build a team with, Sexton is without a doubt one of my guards.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

txkhog

Sexton would be my first pick

The Hogfather

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 14, 2018, 02:21:41 pm
Similar to Kevaughn Allen getting hype (especially before this season) as one of the best guards in the SEC and he's basically a taller Anton Beard who shoots more, makes less, doesn't rebound as well, assists less, and fills out a uniform better.

You have to be kidding...

jst01

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

311Hog

Quote from: tusksincolorado on March 14, 2018, 03:30:53 pm
yelp...

and wasn't ESPN and the powers that be just saying how the "committee" seemed to punish the schools named by the FBI.  If so what is the excuse for the Sexton bama love?

The Hogfather

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on March 14, 2018, 03:10:48 pm
You have to be kidding...

Per 40 minute stats:

Allen:  4.7/12.6 (37%) FGs, 14.6 points, 3.1 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 1.6 turnovers, 1.9 assist to turnover ratio
Beard:  4.4/11.2 (39%) FGs, 12.8 points, 3.5 rebounds, 4.0 assists, 1.9 turnovers, 2.1 assist to turnover ratio

So, basically exactly what I said.

The Hogfather

Quote from: jst01 on March 14, 2018, 03:16:07 pm
No, no you wouldn't.

Ha!  You got me there.  Just making sure y'all are paying attention.

The real Hogules

Quote from: 311Hog on March 14, 2018, 03:32:37 pm
and wasn't ESPN and the powers that be just saying how the "committee" seemed to punish the schools named by the FBI.  If so what is the excuse for the Sexton bama love?

I think I read that someone paid for Sexton's parents "a meal", and that when it was brought up the Sexton's repaid whomever and Collin served a one game suspension. That's probably wrong, but that is what I believe was said.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

RebHog

Quote from: The real Hogules on March 14, 2018, 05:07:48 pm
I think I read that someone paid for Sexton's parents "a meal", and that when it was brought up the Sexton's repaid whomever and Collin served a one game suspension. That's probably wrong, but that is what I believe was said.

I think this is right also it is beginning to seem the FBI information released by ESPN is more bark than bite when you add in the Arizona ordeal.  Sexton is a phenomenal player and the attention is deserved. I am a huge fan of Macon and Barford but I'm sorry my eyes tell me if you traded one of them for Sexton the hogs would be better and BAMA would be worse.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 14, 2018, 04:15:43 pm
Per 40 minute stats:

Allen:  4.7/12.6 (37%) FGs, 14.6 points, 3.1 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 1.6 turnovers, 1.9 assist to turnover ratio
Beard:  4.4/11.2 (39%) FGs, 12.8 points, 3.5 rebounds, 4.0 assists, 1.9 turnovers, 2.1 assist to turnover ratio

So, basically exactly what I said.

Considering the topic of discussion is Collin Sexton, I thought you were saying that Collin Sexton is similar to KeVaughn Allen, who is basically a taller Anton Beard who shoots more, makes less, doesn't rebound as well, assists less, and fills out a uniform better.

I still disagree with you, though. Allen has the ability to go for 20/5/5 any given night, Beard does not.

31to6

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 14, 2018, 02:21:41 pm
You get a full media package when you sign your pro contract with Florida.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on March 14, 2018, 06:13:05 pm
Considering the topic of discussion is Collin Sexton, I thought you were saying that Collin Sexton is similar to KeVaughn Allen, who is basically a taller Anton Beard who shoots more, makes less, doesn't rebound as well, assists less, and fills out a uniform better.

I still disagree with you, though. Allen has the ability to go for 20/5/5 any given night, Beard does not.

No, but Beard does have the ability to give you 20/6/6 because he's a better rebounder and passer.

The Hogfather

Quote from: 31to6 on March 14, 2018, 07:19:03 pm
You get a full media package when you sign your pro contract with Florida.

True.  I do think White is going to put that in jeopardy very soon.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 14, 2018, 08:45:02 pm
No, but Beard does have the ability to give you 20/6/6 because he's a better rebounder and passer.

You really might be as dumb as Brick.

steveaustin69

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 14, 2018, 08:45:02 pm

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on March 14, 2018, 03:32:37 pm

That was just yet another thing they threw out there when whining about Okie St not making it and a few others getting lower seeds that the ESPN people thought teams should have gotten.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE