Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kermit Davis coming to the SEC

Started by hogwood, March 14, 2018, 11:28:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwood

Looking like Ole Miss will snag him. Seems to me like it could be a really good fit. And the trend continues; another top notch coach heading to the SEC. Wonder who Georgia will get.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22758023/ole-miss-expected-hire-middle-tennessee-coach-kermit-davis

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogwood on March 14, 2018, 11:28:10 am
Looking like Ole Miss will snag him. Seems to me like it could be a really good fit. And the trend continues; another top notch coach heading to the SEC. Wonder who Georgia will get.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22758023/ole-miss-expected-hire-middle-tennessee-coach-kermit-davis

Meh.  Won't be any better than Kennedy.  Seems like a Mark Fox, Trent Johnson, Darrin Horn type hire. 

HawgsPolo

Go Cubs Go!!!!!

The_Iceman

Tubby fired at Memphis. Does this open the door for Vanover to be a Hog?

navyhog24

ArkansasI

Anybody think Davis may have cheated to get those players to MTSU that were able to beat Ole Miss routinely?

azhog10

Really like Kermit Davis. I do wonder how he will do, I'm just not sure he can recruit well enough at Ole Miss to compete everyday in the SEC. His type of recruit works at MTSU, the everyday grind isn't the same. But I wouldn't be shocked if he does really well. He's a really good coach.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 14, 2018, 12:04:17 pm

Tubby was to meet with the admins yesterday but it was postponed until today. Have they had that meeting and made it official yet?

Oops. Never mind I just read where it was this morning and he's officially out.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

riccoar

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 14, 2018, 12:31:50 pm
Tubby was to meet with the admins yesterday but it was postponed until today. Have they had that meeting and made it official yet?

Oops. Never mind I just read where it was this morning and he's officially out.
He gone.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/basketball/2018/03/14/tubby-smith-fired-memphis-basketball-penny-hardaway-tigers-buyout-grizzlies-fedexforum-ncaa-nit/410112002/

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

riccoar

And to follow up on that article, If Anderson and Tubby were not getting the stars in Memphis, where the hell have they been going?

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 14, 2018, 12:04:17 pm

Wasn't Vanover going to Memphis more about us not wanting him then him wanting to play for Tubby?
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

GuvHog

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 14, 2018, 12:40:16 pm
Wasn’t Vanover going to Memphis more about us not wanting him then him wanting to play for Tubby?

I'm simply amazed that Mike wouldn't want an in state 4 star big man. Simply amazed.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Paul

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 14, 2018, 12:40:16 pm
Wasn't Vanover going to Memphis more about us not wanting him then him wanting to play for Tubby?
Yes dont remember us offering him

HawgTrough

Andy Kennedy seems like a no brainer for MTSU
WPS

GuvHog

Quote from: Paul on March 14, 2018, 01:04:43 pm
Yes dont remember us offering him

It was basically a token offer. They really didn't recruit him very hard. If they had, he'd already be a solid Hog commit.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HawgTrough on March 14, 2018, 01:05:47 pm
Andy Kennedy seems like a no brainer for MTSU

A lot of coaching searches involve no brains.

King Kong

East TN HAWG

UGA should open check book and go after Marshall.   

razorhead94

Quote from: GuvHog on March 14, 2018, 01:02:03 pm
I'm simply amazed that Mike wouldn't want an in state 4 star big man. Simply amazed.

A 4 star?  Geeze you guys need to do your homework
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Pigcrazy

I'm very surprised Kermit accepted the  Ole Miss job being a Miss State alum.  His father was a former coach at Miss State.

hogwood

Quote from: HawgsPolo on March 14, 2018, 11:51:04 am
Top notch ??? ???

He is a very respected coach. By top notch I meant of all the coaches who could move up to a bigger program, he was in the top 10 IMO.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: GuvHog on March 14, 2018, 01:09:28 pm
It was basically a token offer. They really didn't recruit him very hard. If they had, he'd already be a solid Hog commit.

The only way Conner is added is if a transfer from the UA  we're to occur preferably before 4/11/18. 

The most likely candates (imo) are Gabe Osabuohien & CJ Jones if they don't want to come off the bench...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Ironhawg

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 14, 2018, 03:59:38 pm
The only way Conner is added is if a transfer from the UA  we're to occur preferably before 4/11/18. 

The most likely candates (imo) are Gabe Osabuohien & CJ Jones if they don't want to come off the bench...

First question; would Vanover be good in the Arkansas game?  Can he play the Arkansas pace for extended periods?  Second question; what if Gafford heads to the NBA?  Does that open a spot for him?

jjdlc

Quote from: Ironhawg on March 14, 2018, 07:03:20 pm
First question; would Vanover be good in the Arkansas game?  Can he play the Arkansas pace for extended periods?  Second question; what if Gafford heads to the NBA?  Does that open a spot for him?

Gafford leaving would be the only reason I could see us pursuing him.  He is a good player, I just don't see him being a good fit for the system.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: GuvHog on March 14, 2018, 01:02:03 pm
Not a 4 Star by any service.

steveaustin69

Quote from: ArkansasI on March 14, 2018, 12:26:51 pm
Anybody think Davis may have cheated to get those players to MTSU that were able to beat Ole Miss routinely?

You've gotta be freaking kidding me

King Kong

Quote from: ArkansasI on March 14, 2018, 12:26:51 pm

Davis made a career at MTSU taking taking talent P5 Transfers and guaranteeing them playing time.

I don't think he was cheating. But I do think Ole Miss will have a hard time repeating that recipe

HogBreath

March 14, 2018, 07:53:36 pm #29 Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:50:11 pm by HogBreath
Lol..it's a small world, just ran across a picture of my two young nephews with Coach Davis at the game last night.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Ironhawg

Quote from: jjdlc on March 14, 2018, 07:18:27 pm
Gafford leaving would be the only reason I could see us pursuing him.  He is a good player, I just don't see him being a good fit for the system.

I admit I haven't seen Vanover much, but he just doesn't seem mobile enough to work in Arkansas' game.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: riccoar on March 14, 2018, 12:38:00 pm
And to follow up on that article, If Anderson and Tubby were not getting the stars in Memphis, where the hell have they been going?

Shelby County Detention Center....
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

BannerMountainMan

Knowing Vanover there is no chance he could play in the SEC
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 14, 2018, 09:49:54 pm
Knowing Vanover there is no chance he could play in the SEC

Wrong thread much?

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 14, 2018, 10:05:58 pm
Wrong thread much?
uhh no they are talking about Vanover coming to Ark since Kermit's there now and because if Gafford leaves
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Paul

Quote from: riccoar on March 14, 2018, 12:38:00 pm
Alex Lomax from Penny's hi school team at East signed with Greg Marshall

King Kong

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 14, 2018, 10:51:19 pm
uhh no they are talking about Vanover coming to Ark since Kermit's there now and because if Gafford leaves

Well they were talking about Vanover because Tubby got fired. Not because of Kermit Davis going to Ole Miss

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: East TN HAWG on March 14, 2018, 01:35:56 pm
UGA should open check book and go after Marshall.   

It always baffles me how some are so willing to tell others what to do with their money.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tusksincolorado on March 14, 2018, 09:32:04 pm
Shelby County Detention Center....

After transferring from 201 Poplar.................