Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It’s been a long 3 weeks.

Started by FANONTHEHILL, September 29, 2017, 12:49:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FANONTHEHILL

I haven't posted much in the last few weeks, but I've read a lot.  Like Yogi Berra said, " you can observe a lot by watching."   I am the biggest sunshine pumper on this message board.  I am always positive.  I've gotten to know these players and coaches and I've had the opportunity to attend practices as well as the games.  I see what effort is being out into the program.  So why aren't they more successful?  There is no good explanation for the first three weeks of the season.  There is no right answer.  It's simply frustrating.

The question is, who should we as fans be frustrated with?  Coaches, the AD, the players, who??  I have my opinion and you have yours, but for me, I'm  frustrated with just about everyone.  Players, coaches, fans, and media.  As a player parent, I'm disappointed for simply one reason.  The kids aren't performing up to their capabilities.  I've seen countless posts blaming Coach Bielema and his assistants.  That is fair.   They are the adults.  But at the same time, I've seen practice and seen the coaching.  Not the first 15 minutes the media sees, but the entire practice.  The coaches stress over and over that players have to focus in and do their assignments.  Take the A&M game for example.  21 points are scored when a DLineman takes the wrong gap and doesn't do their assignment.  A DB comes up instead of staying home on a scramble and they score an 80 yd TD.  Some say, they should be coached better.  How do our coaches do better than to run the play 5 times on Thursday emphasizing that you have to stay home?

How do you justify your coverage team having two guys get out of their lanes and it leads to a 100 yd KO return?  They were coached to be in their lane.

Those who don't know any better, whether they be on a message board or in the media see the OL give up 6 sacks.  The film is evaluated and 2 are on the OL, 2 on RBs missing blocks, and 2 on holding the ball too long.  If all 11 guys aren't in the same page, things break down.  They are taught better than they've showed.

I heard someone on the radio complaining about Rhoads saying that there were "5 or 6 breakdowns" that we need to coach up.  There said were tired of excuses.  Well the alternative is Rhoads saying, "I've told them better and they screwed up".  If he said that, he's the crappy coach that throws his kids under the bus.  He had every right to say it, but didn't.  That's why his kids respect him.  Same with Coach Enos, Coach Anderson, and Coach Bielema.  The kids and the coaches are underperforming.  You know it, I know it, but most importantly, they know it. 

I'll finish where I started.  I'm frustrated and I know you are too.  If I felt this coaching staff didn't know what they were doing and if I thought these players didn't have the talent to succeed, I wouldn't be frustrated.  I would accept the fact they weren't very good and not post.  The issue is I know that they are capable of being better than they've shown.  I know that they are coached better than they've shown.  I've seen it with my own eyes. 

People can post what they want.  We see that every day.  People have encouraged others to stay home to show their displeasure with the coaches and administration while at the same time saying that they still support the players.  That's BS.  If you support the players, go to the game.  Be loud when we are on defense and quiet before the snap on offense.  Show these kids you care.  The coaches are trying to coach them up and build them up.  I hope you build them up as well.  The players and coaches won't quit on the fans and the fans shouldn't quit on them.

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

rljjr

Seebs

Thank you for sharing. Great perspective
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

jst01

I agree everyone involved is trying hard. I couldn't make it thru a practice or the long hours the coaches put in.

But, it's not getting done. At least not well enough. Someone always is held accountable when things break down and that's the people in charge.

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

clew

This should be stickied. I love my alma mater and want them to succeed.  Not at all costs, mind you, but there's more to the game than the Ws. Thanks, FanOnTheHill. Your post gives me hope they'll turn it around.
Pure as the dawn

verticalhog

I'll start by stating that I think all of our coaches are good people and have anywhere from a solid to a strong understanding of the game (or their part of it).  As an outsider who's been attending games for 57 years, I see some similarities to the Missouri program 25 years ago when I was a professor in Columbia.  I was there for 6 years and MU had a coach named Bob Stull who was LOVED by his players.  They said he was their friend.  Yet, MU never won more than 4 games (out of 11) during the six years I was there.  They were pretty much awful.

I don't believe the Alabama players consider Nick Saban to be their "friend."  They might not love or like him but they respect him (perhaps even fear him).  They know he and his assistants are coaching them in a way that will make them better players and a better team.  I really don't know if this is the culture that CBB has created with the Hogs since I'm not an insider like the parent of a player would be.  I do believe that it's difficult for any "boss" to be a friend to his/her subordinates.

Elvis P Hogg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on September 29, 2017, 12:49:41 pm
I haven't posted much in the last few weeks, but I've read a lot.  Like Yogi Berra said, " you can observe a lot by watching."   I am the biggest sunshine pumper on this message board.  I am always positive.  I've gotten to know these players and coaches and I've had the opportunity to attend practices as well as the games.  I see what effort is being out into the program.  So why aren't they more successful?  There is no good explanation for the first three weeks of the season.  There is no right answer.  It's simply frustrating.

The question is, who should we as fans be frustrated with?  Coaches, the AD, the players, who??  I have my opinion and you have yours, but for me, I'm  frustrated with just about everyone.  Players, coaches, fans, and media.  As a player parent, I'm disappointed for simply one reason.  The kids aren't performing up to their capabilities.  I've seen countless posts blaming Coach Bielema and his assistants.  That is fair.   They are the adults.  But at the same time, I've seen practice and seen the coaching.  Not the first 15 minutes the media sees, but the entire practice.  The coaches stress over and over that players have to focus in and do their assignments.  Take the A&M game for example.  21 points are scored when a DLineman takes the wrong gap and doesn't do their assignment.  A DB comes up instead of staying home on a scramble and they score an 80 yd TD.  Some say, they should be coached better.  How do our coaches do better than to run the play 5 times on Thursday emphasizing that you have to stay home?

How do you justify your coverage team having two guys get out of their lanes and it leads to a 100 yd KO return?  They were coached to be in their lane.

Those who don't know any better, whether they be on a message board or in the media see the OL give up 6 sacks.  The film is evaluated and 2 are on the OL, 2 on RBs missing blocks, and 2 on holding the ball too long.  If all 11 guys aren't in the same page, things break down.  They are taught better than they've showed.

I heard someone on the radio complaining about Rhoads saying that there were "5 or 6 breakdowns" that we need to coach up.  There said were tired of excuses.  Well the alternative is Rhoads saying, "I've told them better and they screwed up".  If he said that, he's the crappy coach that throws his kids under the bus.  He had every right to say it, but didn't.  That's why his kids respect him.  Same with Coach Enos, Coach Anderson, and Coach Bielema.  The kids and the coaches are underperforming.  You know it, I know it, but most importantly, they know it. 

I'll finish where I started.  I'm frustrated and I know you are too.  If I felt this coaching staff didn't know what they were doing and if I thought these players didn't have the talent to succeed, I wouldn't be frustrated.  I would accept the fact they weren't very good and not post.  The issue is I know that they are capable of being better than they've shown.  I know that they are coached better than they've shown.  I've seen it with my own eyes. 

People can post what they want.  We see that every day.  People have encouraged others to stay home to show their displeasure with the coaches and administration while at the same time saying that they still support the players.  That's BS.  If you support the players, go to the game.  Be loud when we are on defense and quiet before the snap on offense.  Show these kids you care.  The coaches are trying to coach them up and build them up.  I hope you build them up as well.  The players and coaches won't quit on the fans and the fans shouldn't quit on them.

Thank you for your perspective ... How Hopeful are you that things can get turned around and have a season that both the coaches,players and fans are proud of ? What are you noticing that would give us hope going forward

thanks again FOTH

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on September 29, 2017, 01:29:39 pm
There were just as many "hurries" that led to incompletions.  The coaches have at least one OL that shouldn't have been put out there, he shouldn't even be in the 2 deep.  He should have been red shirted.

There are actual reasons for why we aren't winning.  It's not Karma or bad luck, or because not enough fans are dancing with snakes.

Bad decisions are being made by our HC.  Over, and over, and over, again.

He unconsciously rattles out the coach speak of needing to play well in all three facets; offense, defense, and special teams.  Yet year after year we lose one or two close games due to our poorly coached special teams, yet no designated special teams coach.  Just doing the same exact thing and hoping for different results.

I could go on.

But you're right.  It's not about heart... or effort.

It's about intelligent decision making skills.  It's about playing "smart".

And we're not doing that on a consistent basis.

That's why we are losing.

Glad I could help you out.

You can't see the forest for the trees.  Bielema's coach speak as you call it is the alternative to throwing the players under the bus.  You bring up the OL and 1/3 of the sacks are credited to them.  The same 1/3 can be applied to the pressures and hurries.  Everyone has to do their job and the players aren't getting it done.  If you watched the OL practice, you would see that Clary deserves the starts at RG.  He know what to do and where to be.  Clary isn't starting at RG because he's better at RG than Gibson.  He's at RG because Gibson is the current answer at RT.  I imagine that Ramirez will continue to improve and take the RT spot and Johnny will be back at RG.  Of course it would be better if no OLineman had to be inserted until they were at least a redshirt sophomore or later, but that's not the case. 

I will agree players need to make better decisions.  Hey should start by doing what they've been coached to do. 

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

SemperHawg

Ok fine I'll bite.

First and foremost I don't think you get enough credit for the amount of insight you bring to the board given your position.  You are always open and up front about your biases and where you stand on things and that is cool.

If you are saying that the coaches are absolutely coaching the players as hard as they can then I have no reason to dispute what you are seeing.  After all you are there and we are not.

Here is what I do know from my very uninformed view point.  Message boards are here for the why not the what.  What I mean by that is.  We sit around and type messages about why its happening, is it the coaches? players? recruiting? scheme?  but the what has not changed and it is this.  Other coaches that Arkansas has played have managed to figure out the above formula where as ours has not.  He is being paid 2.7 mil a year to clear the same hurdles that every coach in the country is paid to clear.  I have no doubt that he is a good dude and cares deeply for our players not only now but the men they become.  At the end of it though this dude is well compensated to figure out the thing that you eluded to above which is putting this all together and winning games.  The facts that normal fans like myself have in front of us is that he has not figured that out and the numbers tell us so.

I wish him the best, but if he can't put this thing together in year 5 and win games he should win then why is he here?

195bc

The kids and the coaches are underperforming.  You know it, I know it, but most importantly, they know it. 

The players and coaches won't quit on the fans and the fans shouldn't quit on them.

If true, these statements contradict. You state the players and the coaches won't quit on the fans, yet they're not performing as well as they know they could. If that's the case, it goes back to at least the last two games last year. So if they're consistently not putting in their best effort, isn't that quitting? At best, it shows a lack of desire to win. If it's true that both the players and coaches are consistently performing under their abilities, why expect the fans to put in their best effort to support the coaches or players who are not putting in their best effort?

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Elvis P Hogg on September 29, 2017, 01:32:15 pm

Thank you for your perspective ... How Hopeful are you that things can get turned around and have a season that both the coaches,players and fans are proud of ? What are you noticing that would give us hope going forward

thanks again FOTH

It's the "coach speak" that so many detest, but it's actully accurate.  There are just a handful of breakdowns that make all the difference.   Playing within the system and doing the little things are preventing them from reaching their potential.  Eliminate those and it's a different team.  When Coach Bielema says that they are so close, he's right.   Throw out FAMU.  TCU is a much better team than most thought.  They just beat a Top 10 Ok State team in Stillwater.  Texas A&M is a very talented team that had been underachieving.  They had them and made a handful of costly mistakes.  This team needs a solid win against NMSU and them the have to go in the road and beat South Carolina.  They are capable, they just need to eliminate the small mistakes that when piled on top costly mistakes which when added up have cost them ballgames.  As I said in the original post, they've got more talent than they've showed.

GunnerHawg70

FANONTHEHILL,

Good inside look and perspective on what's happening with the Razorbacks.  With all the negative posts and social media bullying that has been out there lately, do you believe (as a parent of a CFB player) that it's hurting recruiting and the image of Hog fans?  Do the players, coaching staff, anyone close to the program read this stuff?!?! You can be a sunshine pumper all day and I'm good with it.  I've been trying to keep things civil myself but some OP's are out for blood or just flat out immature and juvenile with no real substance wrt CFB football. 

At any rate, as fans we'll do our part and keep supporting the boys and praying they can continue to just have fun - it's only a game.  God bless....

island hog

Quote from: 195bc on September 29, 2017, 01:46:18 pm

If true, these statements contradict. You state the players and the coaches won't quit on the fans, yet they're not performing as well as they know they could. If that's the case, it goes back to at least the last two games last year. So if they're consistently not putting in their best effort, isn't that quitting? At best, it shows a lack of desire to win. If it's true that both the players and coaches are consistently performing under their abilities, why expect the fans to put in their best effort to support the coaches or players who are not putting in their best effort?
It's called being a fan vs a fair-weather fan. 

Wildhog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on September 29, 2017, 01:47:38 pm
As I said in the original post, they’ve got more talent than they’ve showed.

This has been a problem throughout Bielema's tenure.

Thanks for posting your perspective, though.  It is appreciated.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: 195bc on September 29, 2017, 01:46:18 pm

Did Babe Ruth ever go 0-4?  Of course he did.  Failure is part of athletics. It's not a matter of effort, it's a matter of execution.  Sometimes you succeed and some times you don't.  The team has had small breakdowns that have proven costly.  Even with great wffort, you've got to be mentally sharp and be in the right place. That's where they need to improve.  That's what they've been coached to do.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 29, 2017, 01:49:54 pm
FANONTHEHILL,

Good inside look and perspective on what's happening with the Razorbacks.  With all the negative posts and social media bullying that has been out there lately, do you believe (as a parent of a CFB player) that it's hurting recruiting and the image of Hog fans?  Do the players, coaching staff, anyone close to the program read this stuff?!?! You can be a sunshine pumper all day and I'm good with it.  I've been trying to keep things civil myself but some OP's are out for blood or just flat out immature and juvenile with no real substance wrt CFB football. 

At any rate, as fans we'll do our part and keep supporting the boys and praying they can continue to just have fun - it's only a game.  God bless....

Players being recruited have a pretty good idea that message boards need to be looked at in an objective manner.  That being said, their friends and families do look often and the type of comments that have been tossed out in the last couple of weeks on Hogville do get back to kids. I have no doubt they have a negative effect on recruiting and the recruits perception of the fan base.

jst01

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on September 29, 2017, 02:02:43 pm
Did Babe Ruth ever go 0-4?  Of course he did.  Failure is part of athletics. It's not a matter of effort, it's a matter of execution.  Sometimes you succeed and some times you don't.  The team has had small breakdowns that have proven costly.  Even with great wffort, you've got to be mentally sharp and be in the right place. That's where they need to improve.  That's what they've been coached to do.

Then it falls back on the coaching method and how the coaches hold the players accountable. It all comes down to getting better players that don't require so much "improving" before they are competing.

DeltaBoy

Well it they Know it then they BEST FIX IT!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

swinemaster

Appreciate the info Sir.  We're all definitely frustrated.  Not just the last 3 weeks but going back to that miserable weekend in Missouri last year.  We all have a bad taste in our mouths.  I'm sure the players are hurting worse than we are. 

But with that being said.  Your post doesn't have the answers.  Your closeness to the program hasn't helped you feel that the folks in charge have the answers.  The things the coaches tell us in press conferences doesn't lead us to believe they have the answers either.

Therefore, we have no choice but to formulate our own answers.  And the bottom line is that our team makes the same mistakes over and over.  The defense has been quite soft and the Oline has been very unstable.  These are the two areas that are supposed to be our coach's specialty.  And last but not least, our special teams are below average as well.  These are persistent problems with our program.  And they lay at the feet of Bret Bielema.  We as fans aren't supposed to know the answers but there comes a time when we realize we need to find somebody who does.

For a lot of us, it's hard to accept this in year 5.  Faith and Trust have been lost for me.  And I had plenty.  Maybe they will turn it around.  I hope the best for your boy and the rest of the team.

P.S. Why hasn't he had a shot this year?

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: jst01 on September 29, 2017, 02:06:32 pm
Then it falls back on the coaching method and how the coaches hold the players accountable. It all comes down to getting better players that don't require so much "improving" before they are competing.
Player development and accountability is a topic that we probably have vastly different perspectives of.  That's fine, but players have to do what they're coached to do and if they can't figure it out, someone else gets inserted. It's as simple as that.

Redhogs

Like your post but let's face it, same song and dance, different day, week, month, year. Bret's ability to win HERE is missing something and I am tired of him trying to find it. I'm sure he's a great person and it's not personal. Thanks for your post.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on September 29, 2017, 02:06:26 pm
Players being recruited have a pretty good idea that message boards need to be looked at in an objective manner.  That being said, their friends and families do look often and the type of comments that have been tossed out in the last couple of weeks on Hogville do get back to kids. I have no doubt they have a negative effect on recruiting and the recruits perception of the fan base.
Fact is, we are the most patient fan base in the SEC...and it's making things worse..even the national media mocks Arkansas's propensity to accept a lower tier program...think that helps recruiting? 
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Inhogswetrust

We ALL care about the players. We ALL want the coaches to coach well. The problem is when things aren't going well then the blame has to be placed somewhere and that somewhere is the person who is paid well to accept that responsibility of blame. Unfortunately for Bret that's him. Just like a CEO of a big company is held responsible for everyone under them and for making sure the stockholders are happy. When that doesn't happen then the boss is held responsible and they are the ones that usually have to leave.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogman64

I haven’t posted much in the last few weeks, but I’ve read a lot.  Like Yogi Berra said, “ you can observe a lot by watching.”   I am the biggest sunshine pumper on this message board.  I am always positive.  I’ve gotten to know these players and coaches and I’ve had the opportunity to attend practices as well as the games.  I see what effort is being out into the program.  So why aren’t they more successful?  There is no good explanation for the first three weeks of the season.  There is no right answer.  It’s simply frustrating.

The question is, who should we as fans be frustrated with?  Coaches, the AD, the players, who??  I have my opinion and you have yours, but for me, I’m  frustrated with just about everyone.  Players, coaches, fans, and media.  As a player parent, I’m disappointed for simply one reason.  The kids aren’t performing up to their capabilities.  I’ve seen countless posts blaming Coach Bielema and his assistants.  That is fair.   They are the adults.  But at the same time, I’ve seen practice and seen the coaching.  Not the first 15 minutes the media sees, but the entire practice.  The coaches stress over and over that players have to focus in and do their assignments.  Take the A&M game for example.  21 points are scored when a DLineman takes the wrong gap and doesn’t do their assignment.  A DB comes up instead of staying home on a scramble and they score an 80 yd TD.  Some say, they should be coached better.  How do our coaches do better than to run the play 5 times on Thursday emphasizing that you have to stay home?

Those who don’t know any better, whether they be on a message board or in the media see the OL give up 6 sacks.  The film is evaluated and 2 are on the OL, 2 on RBs missing blocks, and 2 on holding the ball too long.  If all 11 guys aren’t in the same page, things break down.  They are taught better than they’ve showed.

I heard someone on the radio complaining about Rhoads saying that there were “5 or 6 breakdowns” that we need to coach up.  There said were tired of excuses.  Well the alternative is Rhoads saying, “I’ve told them better and they screwed up”.  If he said that, he’s the crappy coach that throws his kids under the bus.  He had every right to say it, but didn’t.  That’s why his kids respect him.  Same with Coach Enos, Coach Anderson, and Coach Bielema.  The kids and the coaches are underperforming.  You know it, I know it, but most importantly, they know it. 

I’ll finish where I started.  I’m frustrated and I know you are too.  If I felt this coaching staff didn’t know what they were doing and if I thought these players didn’t have the talent to succeed, I wouldn’t be frustrated.  I would accept the fact they weren’t very good and not post.  The issue is I know that they are capable of being better than they’ve shown.  I know that they are coached better than they’ve shown.  I’ve seen it with my own eyes. 

People can post what they want.  We see that every day.  People have encouraged others to stay home to show their displeasure with the coaches and administration while at the same time saying that they still support the players.  That’s BS.  If you support the players, go to the game.  Be loud when we are on defense and quiet before the snap on offense.  Show these kids you care.  The coaches are trying to coach them up and build them up.  I hope you build them up as well.  The players and coaches won’t quit on the fans and the fans shouldn’t quit on them.

This is a great post with a reasonable perspective.

From an outside perspective this goes along with my theory  that players are not afraid enough of the
consequences of mental breakdowns like you described.. We do play well in many aspects of a  particular game
but inconsistency most always causes us to lose, a play  here , a play there.  There doesn't seem to be
consequences to those players .......Its like we played a great game except for 7 plays and then the same guys go out the next
game.  I bet that doesn't happen at winning programs, you make mistakes that affect a game outcome and
you go to the bench. You are NEVER going to hear Saban say we played a great game except for 7 plays, that isn't
his culture.  If they have 7 breakdowns, the responsible players will have consequences. I hate hearing our coaches
say we played great except for a few plays....If in fact our coaches are doing a good job coaching then they are
way to tolerant of the players not taking that  good coaching to the field on a consistent basis....

oldhog63

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on September 29, 2017, 01:47:38 pm
. . .As I said in the original post, they've got more talent than they've showed.
First, I too appreciate your insight and willingness to share.

Second, I too have consistently said we have plenty of talent and the record doesn't reflect our talent. But, I have been around this game long enough to know that breakdowns like this on a consistent basis over a 5 year period is not a player problem, but a coaching problem.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on September 29, 2017, 02:14:40 pm
Player development and accountability is a topic that we probably have vastly different perspectives of.  That's fine, but players have to do what they're coached to do and if they can't figure it out, someone else gets inserted. It's as simple as that.

Agree but then who is responsible for signing, coaching and supervising those players whether the players are doing what they are coached to do or not. If a manager's employees don't do what they are suppose to do then they  insert a new employee. As you said as simple as that. The problem is IF the new employee doesn't do what they are suppose to do at some point the manager has to be replaced. The manager knows that and accepts that responsibility by having the job in the first place. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Porked Tongue

I like the OP and the tone on this thread so far.

I pretty much agree with all of it and will add my thing is to support during the season and let the other things happen in the off season.  In the moment, I'm "all in".  Always have and always will be the case for me and my family.

We'll be in our seat at kickoff on Saturday at DWR.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Redhogs on September 29, 2017, 02:15:30 pm
Like your post but let's face it, same song and dance, different day, week, month, year. Bret's ability to win HERE is missing something and I am tired of him trying to find it. I'm sure he's a great person and it's not personal. Thanks for your post.

I totally understand where you're coming from.  My biggest point I was trying to get across is that these mistakes we are seeing are things that he coaches have addressed and have been gone over countless times.  I've seen that with my own eyes in practice.  It's not just the staff that's accountable, it's the players.

swinemaster

All Div. 1 coaches teach the fundamentals of football.  All of them know how their players need to execute to be successful. 

The trick is GETTING THEM TO DO IT.  And recruiting enough talented depth to create a culture of competition in which you have to win everyday in practice to keep your spot.

Our Coach isn't doing that.

Porkette

Fanonthehill, your insights here are appreciated.

Coaching debates aside, I do want to say that I will definitely not be giving up on this team. I as a fan only become apathetic toward a team when it seems that they themselves have mailed it in. What we saw in the A&M game Saturday was just the opposite of that-  these players are still playing hard and fighting.
GO HOGS GO!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on September 29, 2017, 02:28:01 pm
You missed my very clearly stated point on Bielema's "coach speak".  He always talks about needing to be good on special teams because we all agree that they are very important.  Yet he is one of 2 or 3 coaches in the SEC that don't have a designated special teams coach.  I doubt anyone in the SEC has lost as many games as we have due to special teams blunders in critical moments during CBB's tenure.

Not sure why you are trying to make the point that it's more relevant to have watched players perform in practice back in August than it is to watch their performance six days ago in a live SEC game?  You don't know enough to know if Clary was performing well in practice and even if he was, he's not performing well now and he's not ready.  It's not his fault that CBB made a horrible personnel decision to not use his RS.  Clary could very well be a very good one after as little as one year in the weight room.

Shawn Andrews didn't even start his first few games as a true freshman.  It's simply not done, and a walk on is not going to be the exception to that rule.

No, no they can't.  If you are going to throw out blind conjecture to try to make your point, don't get upset if someone comes on here to challenge you on it.  We need to form opinions on here based on facts, or else we're just as guilty as CBB.

I attend practice weekly. Spring, fall camp, and in season.  It's something that player parents are allowed to do.  My "blind conjecture" of game film is based primarily on the fact that I watched the game film with an offensive lineman and he tells me what every players assignment is on every play.  Based on that, about 1/3 of the issues are with the OL.  As for Ty Clary, he's been solid since camp in August.  It was apparent two weeks before the season started he would be the starting RG.  They just chose not to release that info to the public. So where do you get your facts?

menace_hawg3

I agree FOTH. As the old adage says " You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink". People forget that these are young men, not little kids. At some point, they are going to have to be held responsible for their performance.

BallHog1

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on September 29, 2017, 02:02:43 pm
I so appreciate you saying these things. Most likely, nobody else has the credibility to do it but it is exactly what I find myself thinking. You'd think the folks spewing negativity on here never lost a game or for that matter had a down season. I can't relate to that. In my world there were ups and downs. You enjoy the ups and you work through the downs. That's the whole point.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: menace_hawg3 on September 29, 2017, 02:44:49 pm
I agree FOTH. As the old adage says " You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink". People forget that these are young men, not little kids. At some point, they are going to have to be held responsible for their performance.
That's exactly the fence that the coaches have to straddle every day.  Ultimately, it falls back on the coaching staff in people's minds, but that line of player accountability/coach responsibility is always shifting.  That's why people need to understand that when coaches are bashed, it hurts the players more than the coaches, because the players know that they are ultimetly responsible for the fate of their coaches.

BallHog1

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on September 29, 2017, 02:49:14 pm
That's exactly the fence that the coaches have to straddle every day.  Ultimately, it falls back on the coaching staff in people's minds, but that line of player accountability/coach responsibility is always shifting.  That's why people need to understand that when coaches are bashed, it hurts the players more than the coaches, because the players know that they are ultimetly responsible for the fate of their coaches.
Exactly.
Didn't even like my coach but I'd have run through a wall for him because he was my coach.

hogcard1964

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on September 29, 2017, 01:29:39 pm
There were just as many "hurries" that led to incompletions.  The coaches have at least one OL that shouldn't have been put out there, he shouldn't even be in the 2 deep.  He should have been red shirted.

There are actual reasons for why we aren't winning.  It's not Karma or bad luck, or because not enough fans are dancing with snakes.

Bad decisions are being made by our HC.  Over, and over, and over, again.

He unconsciously rattles out the coach speak of needing to play well in all three facets; offense, defense, and special teams.  Yet year after year we lose one or two close games due to our poorly coached special teams, yet no designated special teams coach.  Just doing the same exact thing and hoping for different results.

I could go on.

But you're right.  It's not about heart... or effort.

It's about intelligent decision making skills.  It's about playing "smart".

And we're not doing that on a consistent basis.

That's why we are losing.

^^^^
truth

PygmalionEffect2

Most of the pressures, hurries, and sacks were due to execution, linemen sliding inside to help and letting their man or a blitzer come through their gap.

The exception to that was Ramirez getting speed rushed and Clary getting over powered.

We should get better on the missed assignments but when your lineman is in the right place but it doesn't matter because he's not strong enough to hold his block,

then there is no fixing that except for a year in the weight room.  Unless the DT for a&m is the best lineman Clary will see this year, they better solidify Gibson at RG and focus on fixing RT with Ramirez or Wallace.

Gibson is not that good at tackle and Clary is not ready to start anywhere.  The entire right side of the line is in trouble with that lineup.

That's why we didn't use that lineup in the 4th quarter when we were scoring TDs.

There is a limit to CBB's stubbornness after all.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

island hog

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on September 29, 2017, 03:01:29 pm
So your offensive lineman son is telling you that only a third of the protection breakdowns is the fault of the offensive line?

That's great that you have a family member playing for the Razorbacks and that allows you to bring some insight to this board that most of us aren't exposed to.

Why don't you use that access to give us information that is valid and accurate instead of coming on here to push your biased agenda?

I spent 2 hours this week watching every pass play in slow motion, over and over again.  I also caught Chill's post that was very informative in showing root causes of protection breakdowns.

I've got every pass play documented on a tablet from the two hours of video I watched of all the pass plays of the a&m game.  And although I'm very embarrassed to admit that, it at least shows that I'm not talking off the top of my head like you are.
I have to ask if you are privy to the various line calls and pass pro assignments for the backs on every pass?  I also record and watch replays of many of the plays over and over but I fully understand that I am only watching the plays from one point of view. Without knowing the line calls and assignments for each play, my opinion is nothing more than that. 

FANONTHEHILL

So your offensive lineman son is telling you that only a third of the protection breakdowns is the fault of the offensive line?

That's great that you have a family member playing for the Razorbacks and that allows you to bring some insight to this board that most of us aren't exposed to.

Why don't you use that access to give us information that is valid and accurate instead of coming on here to push your biased agenda?

I spent 2 hours this week watching every pass play in slow motion, over and over again.  I also caught Chill's post that was very informative in showing root causes of protection breakdowns.

I've got every pass play documented on a tablet from the two hours of video I watched of all the pass plays of the a&m game.  And although I'm very embarrassed to admit that, it at least shows that I'm not talking off the top of my head like you are.
Does your tablet tell you everyone's assignment?  When the RB should chip the end or go into the route.  When based on the defensive alignment the TE should abandon his route and stay in to block? When the QB should check into a different play based on the coverage?  Don't question my knowledge or insight of the program.  I have one agenda. It's for this team to be successful.  On the field and off.  Sometimes that's in the stands, sometimes it's on message boards dealing with loud mouths that don't really know what they're taking about.

PorkSoda

Thanks for the perspective FOTH, its good to know that the team and the coaches haven't quit.

Win or lose I'll be cheering them on from my couch.  arkansas is at home playing the underdog, and when they get it figured out, they will be dangerous.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hogcard1964

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on September 29, 2017, 03:12:15 pm
Does your tablet tell you everyone's assignment?  When the RB should chip the end or go into the route.  When based on the defensive alignment the TE should abandon his route and stay in to block? When the QB should check into a different play based on the coverage?  Don't question my knowledge or insight of the program.  I have one agenda. It's for this team to be successful.  On the field and off.  Sometimes that's in the stands, sometimes it's on message boards dealing with loud mouths that don't really know what they're taking about.

I think you're failing to recognize the ongoing trend of failure.  I seriously doubt it's been a matter of player mistakes 5 years running consistently.  If a team is stuck in the muck like this for an extended period of time, that's a matter of coaching. 

...and if it's consistently missed assignments as you indicated it could be, that also goes back to coaching.

The entire premise of Bielema having some success here from day one was his supposed ability to coach 2 and 3 star players up.  It's pretty obvious he can't do this.   ...at all.

Oklahawg

There is always someone willing to screw up a good thread. Thanks for being 'that guy.'
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

oldhog63

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on September 29, 2017, 03:12:15 pm
You are exactly right. You cannot tell what is happening just from watching video. Only tells part of the story.

But, you are starting to get to the heart of the matter for the OL. Are the assignments based on the alignment of the defense or solely on the called play? Or a combination? Who makes the calls? When? If the assignments are based on defense alignment and calls are made at the line, what happens if the defense shifts right before the snap? What about if the defense stunts, blitzes, etc? Etc, etc? Now, is the scheme getting so complicated/complex that these guys are thinking instead of reacting/going full speed? So complex that one mistake anywhere blows up the whole scheme? Making mistakes because it takes years to get the technique right and thus requires uppperclassmen and/or years playing together to do it correctly? Etc/etc. If so, then it goes back on the coaches and not the players. Coaches have to put these guys in a position to be successful. Haven't seen that under CBB.

jkstock04

Quote from: island hog on September 29, 2017, 03:10:38 pm
I have to ask if you are privy to the various line calls and pass pro assignments for the backs on every pass?  I also record and watch replays of many of the plays over and over but I fully understand that I am only watching the plays from one point of view. Without knowing the line calls and assignments for each play, my opinion is nothing more than that. 
With this logic, you could probably make the argument that the defensive performances of last year was just mere circumstance and could've happened to any team.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

rhames

So give us a write up of this 2 hours of video breakdown that you did.  What did you see coach?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

BadHog

FOTH please respond to this as you see it:

Like it or not, right or wrong, people are judged on their appearance (clothing, physical appearance, demeanor, mannerisms, etc). Appearance is very important in my profession as well as others. HR hiring personal are trained to judge appearance as it can indicate a person's level of discipline, trustworthiness, emotional stability, and other issues. As for Bielema, I see a man who is undisciplined, sloppy and lazy. To me, this reflects in the performance of his players on the field week after week.

Also, you stated that the players practice their assignments over and over. If so, what percentage of times during practice are the plays executed successfully and on target? After a game and review of the poorly executed performance, what is the strategy to correct an individual's faulty performance? Perhaps the quality of practice is not at the level it should be to be competitive in this very high performance conference.

These are just observations and I would like to hear your perspective.

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

lakecityhog

Fan, my problem is similar to another poster, it seems like certain players are "allowed" to make the same critical mistakes game after game with no recourse and others never see the field for practice mistakes. And pardon me but BB sure did NOT seem to have any issue whatsoever throwing the kicker under the bus and then backing it over him!

I do find it hard to believe that every team in America except for Tulsa failed to see that Ty Clary is a better O'Lineman than Shawn Andrews, Dan Skipper, Frank Ragnow, Denver Kirkland and a MULTITUDE of other O'Linemen across the nation. NOT ONE of those guys started game 1 of their career, again NOT ONE!!!! Please understand that I have no issue with Clary at all, he is simply doing as asked by the staff. Think about this for a moment or two, let's just say that your son started 10 games last year and this year cannot see the field AT ALL? Would you not wonder why just a little??

I think that you sometimes fail to see your own bias, or personal investment in this coaching staff. And believe it or not I can fully understand that and would probably feel the same way if I were in your shoes.
Evidently Zack Rogers' dad doesn't completely share your opinions, maybe because he is seeing things from a different perspective??

LRHawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 29, 2017, 03:26:35 pm
There is always someone willing to screw up a good thread. Thanks for being 'that guy.'

It's why anyone with anything really worthwhile to say get's ran off. Then you're left with people like me!