Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need good instructor in Fort Smith area

Started by rickm1976, August 18, 2017, 08:05:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rickm1976

Could any of you recommend a good instructor in the Ft. Smith area?  I have been playing 53 years, since I was 7.  I have never had a lesson, but I believe it's never too late.  I don't need one to work on the basics, I really need someone to help me just work on my iron play - especially mid to long irons.  My biggest weakness is that I never learned to properly hit down and compress the ball with my irons, and I guess I've always been a "picker", which really costs me in distance.  When I was in my 30's, I could hit a driver 290 with the old Taylormade original metal woods with standard length Dynamic Gold S300 shafts, but I was lucky to hit my 7 iron 140, if that much.  I can't even hit one 130 now, even with graphite shafts (I would love to be able to afford distance-wise to go back to steel).  I'm looking for a PGA professional who can help me with this one area.  I don't keep a handicap index anymore, but usually shoot in the low to mid 70's at smaller public courses, and mid to high 70's at Eagle Crest (when I splurge occasionally).  I guess at 60, I should be satisfied, but I just want to learn to hit my irons properly before I get too old to swing a club.  It's one thing on my bucket list that I really want to cross off.  Any of you all who know a good instructor who can teach more than just the basics, I would appreciate it a lot.  Thanks for your help and suggestions.

hogbud

Martygit

RIP OTR, REV

rickm1976

Yeah.  Someone suggested Mark Curlett to me recently, but I found out he moved.  Thanks anyway.

RazorPiggie

rickm1976

Quote from: RazorPiggie on August 24, 2017, 10:13:13 pm
When the heck did coach move?

I thought he was still at UAFS, but was told he retired back in 2015 and moved away.

Martygit

Quote from: RazorPiggie on August 24, 2017, 10:13:13 pm
When the heck did coach move?

He went to work selling cars at Smith Chevrolet - then left and moved to NWA a year or so ago
RIP OTR, REV

RazorPiggie

Coach Curlett is still doing golf at the golf nut and in nwa.

gustofwind

Call Scott Gardiner, he is in NWA but he does work in FS.  Former tour player.  I have played for 35yrs and recently ran into issues w/iron play and after hr lesson, fixed.479-790-9384.

rickm1976

Quote from: gustofwind on August 30, 2017, 12:38:17 pm
Call Scott Gardiner, he is in NWA but he does work in FS.  Former tour player.  I have played for 35yrs and recently ran into issues w/iron play and after hr lesson, fixed.479-790-9384.

Hey, thanks!  Will do.  Sounds like exactly what I need.