Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Athletics Facilities Race

Started by jbcarol, June 14, 2012, 12:01:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NWASooner

A&M has never been good while Texas has been good.  If Texas is good, they're option #1.  They always will be.

A&M has had good years before.  This isn't new to them.  They also tend to slump back to mediocrity.

Some of you should start a website called aggieville.net.

Hoggish1

Quote from: qdoc on February 22, 2013, 01:11:26 pm
We could have but the priority was being able to see the field from the comfort of the BAC.

Are you serious?  I never heard that.  Really dumb, if true.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Hog10S on February 22, 2013, 01:38:11 pm
They didn't ever own the SWC and they didn't come close to owning the Big 12 conference.  They will not own the SEC, ever.

But... they have an ENORMOUS advantage which they did not have in the SWC or Big12.  What kid would ever want to play for Texas in an 'also ran' league, when they could play in the big league at TAMU?   Answer:  None.   Tamu is becoming what Texas always thought Texas was, but for real.    They have lightning in a bottle and will be a FORCE in the SEC.

KennyForAD

Quote from: NWASooner on February 23, 2013, 04:23:43 pm
A&M has never been good while Texas has been good.  If Texas is good, they're option #1.  They always will be.

A&M has had good years before.  This isn't new to them.  They also tend to slump back to mediocrity.

WRONG!   That may have been true when Texas and Tamu were in the same conference, but Tamu moved up in class.   Texas is in the bush league.   Tamu will outclass Texas year in and year out forevermore. 

Danny J

Quote from: go hogues on February 22, 2013, 04:15:30 pm
Some of your ability to understand the magnitude of Texas aTm's inclusion in this conference is baffling.

We like to refer to the UA as a "sleeping giant", yet can't fathom aTm, with their unlimited funding, large, almost scary loyal alumni base, recruiting advantages and nationwide brand recognition as a sleeping giant as well?

These jokers aren't going anywhere. Living in Dallas for the last five years, I rarely saw aTm merchandise, much less people wearing it. Now that's ALL you see.

They just came in to this conference and BEAT Alabama their first year and in the process, their QB won a Heisman trophy. Now they're going to spend a quarter of what Jerry spent on Jerryworld and you guys act like they'll be battling it out with Mississsippi State year in and year out?

The reason they never fared well in their previous conferences is because they had to play second fiddle to UT. Now, they have their own identity in a vastly superior conference and their previously mentioned scary loyal fanbase has awoken and are ready to do what it takes to make a statement.

In five years, aTm will own this league.
I agree except with the last sentence.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Root66 on February 23, 2013, 02:43:53 pm
That's why no one likes us...WE are a cult. Alabama's a cult. Texas is a cult. LSU is a cult. OU is a cult. Missouri on the other hand, is NOT a cult.

None of those are a cult. TAMU IS a cult.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LZH

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 23, 2013, 07:27:44 am
You ever been to College Station? Besides that most people don't like cults either......................

Not since I was a kid.  The 30 hrs or so of mechanical engineering I've taken was from A&M, but took it in Tyler.  I'll say this, the older guys were all knowledgeable, laid back, and alot of fun after hours.  The younger guys were so cocky it was embarrassing for the older ones.  Most of the old guard has retired now.

Polecat

Quote from: go hogues on February 22, 2013, 01:24:10 pm
Give aTm five more years and they will own this conference.
Sumlins ability to recruit and offensive system are certainly impressive thus far. We shall see
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

jagvocate

I wouldn't knock Texas High School recruits too much, or there wouldn't be much reason to play the "Southwest Classic" in Dallas every year.

WashUhog6

Quote from: Cure on February 22, 2013, 03:08:54 pm
This isn't yesteryear.
One season and the SEC doesn't erase seven decades worth of results.

Quote from: NWASooner on February 23, 2013, 04:23:43 pm

I find it hilarious that people around here think that Texas is just going to permanently slip back into the little brother role. Texas is far and away number one in that state, and changing that is something that takes decades.

Texas has a long history of winning; to expect them to sit back and cower under A&M is laughable. But this place has an Aggie obsession.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: jagvocate on February 24, 2013, 11:41:58 am
I wouldn't knock Texas High School recruits too much, or there wouldn't be much reason to play the "Southwest Classic" in Dallas every year.
Anyone knocking Texas High School recruits does not make a living recruiting D-1 college football players at the championship level. The Hogs need a quality mix of Texas recruits annually.

" GO HOGS "

jlhogfan

Quote from: UCAhog6 on February 24, 2013, 12:02:55 pm
One season and the SEC doesn't erase seven decades worth of results.
I find it hilarious that people around here think that Texas is just going to permanently slip back into the little brother role. Texas is far and away number one in that state, and changing that is something that takes decades.

Texas has a long history of winning; to expect them to sit back and cower under A&M is laughable. But this place has an Aggie obsession.

I think what most are trying to say is that one has nothing to do with other now.

WashUhog6

Quote from: jlhogfan on February 24, 2013, 02:17:43 pm

I think what most are trying to say is that one has nothing to do with other now.
Why? Because of a conference change?

All of this is banking on Texas being the little brother now, which is not going to happen long term. Their imprint in the state of Texas is much deeper than A&M's will ever be, and it's like that for a reason. You don't change a century of results with a conference change, Texas won't be down forever.

Uncle SI

Sadly, it looks really good. This will help keep Kyle Field a top 15 stadium and will help them recruiting.
WPS
First time, long time, great topic, love the show.

56Hog

Quote from: go hogues on February 22, 2013, 01:24:10 pm
Give aTm five more years and they will own this conference.

Give Texas A&M five more years and Aggie joke books will top the bestseller list at SECstore.com
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

Hoggish1

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on February 23, 2013, 02:54:44 pm
People keep saying look at history, but history tells us the Aggies were under UT's shadow, it is different now.  They do have a coach and had a pretty solid recruiting class and a helluva marekting campaign going on right now with Johnny Football to bring more attention to the Aggs.   Let's just hope they stay aggies and mess this all up, but if they don't, they will be a force unless Texas comes to the SEC.

This is a real good post since it references the fact TAMU got out from under big brothers' thumb. That is the key to their success thus far and likely to stay simply because they now have the biggest recruiting advantage in their own state.  It's why I dreaded them getting in the SEC. 

But, you can forget Texass coming to the SEC for two reasons:

It couldn't handle repeatedly getting it's @ss whipped.  And TAMU, once having escaped the teasip's jail, would fight like hell to never let them rise in their own back yard.

Razorback de Nosferatu

Quote from: Hogfan991 on February 22, 2013, 01:05:33 pm
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21743255/

Wish we could close out our endzone like that.

I envy the closed in end zone.  I've wanted AR to do that for a long time.

I don't envy their stadium as a whole.  It's a hacked up mess that looks like a Lego disaster.

jlhogfan

Quote from: UCAhog6 on February 24, 2013, 02:33:54 pm
Why? Because of a conference change?

All of this is banking on Texas being the little brother now, which is not going to happen long term. Their imprint in the state of Texas is much deeper than A&M's will ever be, and it's like that for a reason. You don't change a century of results with a conference change, Texas won't be down forever.

I absolutely agree that Texas will not be down forever, I have even mentioned that in some of my prior post.  Texas recruiting areas are capable of producing two major powers.  My point is that A&M's entire seasons used to revolve around the Texas game (sound familiar!).  I believe that has all changed.  Back in the SWC and the Big 12 days, if they beat Texas, then everything was good to go and nothing changed, the season was considered a success.  The switch to the SEC is about something bigger than Texas.  It will take time, even some of our fan base (no not just hogville) can't seem to let Texas go, but when their resources (alumni $$, recruiting, etc..) are orientated to goals bigger than UT they will become a program to be reckoned with; not Bama power, but definitely a thorn in our side.     

GlassofSwine

Quote from: jlhogfan on February 24, 2013, 02:17:43 pm

This is just not true. In terms of the state of Texas...Texas still has far more money, fans, etc. A&M is still going to have to recruit against Texas and they are always going to be 2nd. There is more to recruiting than playing in the SEC. Texas has more money, better facilities, better tradition and is located in Austin. College Station may not be Starkville but it isn't exactly a destination. They may not be playing Texas on the field but they are definitely going to be in competition against them and they are still going to be 2nd.

Also let's not forget that Arkansas went 11-2 in 2011 and 10-3 with a BCS bowl game in 2010. We put up two back to back seasons of the same quality as A&M last year, put a plan in place for a massive facility upgrade and yet even then I don't remember anyone saying we are going to be "owning" the SEC in 5 years. Things can quickly come crashing back to earth just as they did for us. It would be no surprise if A&M went from 11 wins to 7-8 next year.

KennyForAD

Quote from: GlassofSwine on February 24, 2013, 11:29:40 pm
  This is just not true. In terms of the state of Texas...Texas still has far more money, fans, etc. A&M is still going to have to recruit against Texas and they are always going to be 2nd. There is more to recruiting than playing in the SEC. Texas has more money, better facilities, better tradition and is located in Austin. College Station may not be Starkville but it isn't exactly a destination. They may not be playing Texas on the field but they are definitely going to be in competition against them and they are still going to be 2nd.

Also let's not forget that Arkansas went 11-2 in 2011 and 10-3 with a BCS bowl game in 2010. We put up two back to back seasons of the same quality as A&M last year, put a plan in place for a massive facility upgrade and yet even then I don't remember anyone saying we are going to be "owning" the SEC in 5 years. Things can quickly come crashing back to earth just as they did for us. It would be no surprise if A&M went from 11 wins to 7-8 next year.

Texas has more money that TAMU?   LMAO.    They both have WAY MORE money than is needed.   So do we.    All this UT is better than TAMU is just backward thinking.  Tamu has the advantage now, and it a HUGE one.  Is College St on par with Austin?  HELL no.   But it doesn't matter.   Players are looking for a shot at the NFL, and there's plenty of tail anywhere they go, even C.S.    UT is in the rear view mirror, and will be for the foreseeable future.

TAMU has real competition, which makes ANY team better.  They have a huge recruiting advantage, they have WAY, WAY, WAY better fans.   Cya Texas...

HognVA

Quote from: NEVERWAS1 on February 22, 2013, 04:14:36 pm
Sumlin inherited a ton of talent from Sherman.A lot of coaches look like geniuses their first year before they stumble. He may be a great coach, average coach or a flash in the pan. Time will tell.

It's way too early IMO to predict sustained greatness for A&M in the SEC.

+1 Coach Nutt as evidence. A great 1st or even a bad 1st season does not tell you much long term.

jlhogfan

Quote from: GlassofSwine on February 24, 2013, 11:29:40 pm

I agree that Texas is not changing, they will still always be Texas.  The difference is when A&M joined the SEC, they raised the bar on their football program.  It is no longer about beating the Horns and keeping the status quo.  They have the resources to try and keep up with Jones's (which, in their eyes, is not Texas anymore).  Like I said above, I don't think they are going to be "owning the SEC", that job is currently occupied by a couple of other schools.  On your other point, what does our record have to do with them?

Hornkiller

Quote from: jlhogfan on February 25, 2013, 06:52:11 am
I agree that Texas is not changing, they will still always be Texas.  The difference is when A&M joined the SEC, they raised the bar on their football program.  It is no longer about beating the Horns and keeping the status quo.  They have the resources to try and keep up with Jones's (which, in their eyes, is not Texas anymore).  Like I said above, I don't think they are going to be "owning the SEC", that job is currently occupied by a couple of other schools.  On your other point, what does our record have to do with them?

While true we have to face one important fact,  Texas isn't as good as they can or should be.

Whether it's the drop in high school talent, Mack Brown going on cruise control or other issues the point is that A&M is about keeping up with the Bama's and LSUs... which could come back to help the Big XII.

Mack Brown is long in the tooth and no amount of Vince Young highlights are going to excuse finishing in the middle of the conference and getting a 30 point can opened on them by Stoops in Dallas. Isn't going to last for long.  Maybe this year, maybe a few more years down the road Brown is going to step aside / be relieved / be shown the door.

When that happens Texas is going to throw the check book around for someone big.  Some say Briles because what he's done at Baylor. Some say they'll get Mustchamp to come back. Never the less Texas will look for someone who can recruit and has a hunger to win national titles.

And the Burnt Orange nation will never admit it, but the target will be A&M and the SEC. Not just keep up but surpass.  If A&M continues their success (and a big if considering the losses on the Offensive and Defensive line) the Horns will copy the blue print, open up the check book and get someone who can and will recruit and coach against the SEC.

Oklahoma has already been working on hiring fresh blood for the recruiting trail with their line coaches.  Stoops is entering his 14 year so who knows how much longer he'll head the program, but bet your bottom dollar is Texas does it, OU will be right behind them. That is a much Sooner tradition as the covered chuck wagon. If Texas ups their game, OU will do everything they can to be a step ahead.

You already see Michigan and Ohio State trying to recruit against the SEC. But the sense of urgency isn't there because the SEC isn't in their backyard. A&M is gunning for the SEC big dogs but make no mistake, they're keeping an eye on Austin.  Everyone should hope that Texas is arrogant enough to think what worked 10 years ago will work again and it's just one player here or a break here that Texas will be back to being a national power. But someone in Austin one day will get a clue...

jlhogfan

Quote from: Hornkiller on February 25, 2013, 09:13:29 am
While true we have to face one important fact,  Texas isn’t as good as they can or should be.

Whether it’s the drop in high school talent, Mack Brown going on cruise control or other issues the point is that A&M is about keeping up with the Bama’s and LSUs… which could come back to help the Big XII.

Mack Brown is long in the tooth and no amount of Vince Young highlights are going to excuse finishing in the middle of the conference and getting a 30 point can opened on them by Stoops in Dallas. Isn’t going to last for long.  Maybe this year, maybe a few more years down the road Brown is going to step aside / be relieved / be shown the door.

When that happens Texas is going to throw the check book around for someone big.  Some say Briles because what he’s done at Baylor. Some say they’ll get Mustchamp to come back. Never the less Texas will look for someone who can recruit and has a hunger to win national titles.

And the Burnt Orange nation will never admit it, but the target will be A&M and the SEC. Not just keep up but surpass.  If A&M continues their success (and a big if considering the losses on the Offensive and Defensive line) the Horns will copy the blue print, open up the check book and get someone who can and will recruit and coach against the SEC.

Oklahoma has already been working on hiring fresh blood for the recruiting trail with their line coaches.  Stoops is entering his 14 year so who knows how much longer he’ll head the program, but bet your bottom dollar is Texas does it, OU will be right behind them. That is a much Sooner tradition as the covered chuck wagon. If Texas ups their game, OU will do everything they can to be a step ahead.

You already see Michigan and Ohio State trying to recruit against the SEC. But the sense of urgency isn’t there because the SEC isn’t in their backyard. A&M is gunning for the SEC big dogs but make no mistake, they’re keeping an eye on Austin.  Everyone should hope that Texas is arrogant enough to think what worked 10 years ago will work again and it’s just one player here or a break here that Texas will be back to being a national power. But someone in Austin one day will get a clue…

Good post, I agree with most of it.  But why in the world do you think Texas cares about A&M and the SEC? 

Hornkiller

Quote from: jlhogfan on February 25, 2013, 09:27:46 am
Good post, I agree with most of it.  But why in the world do you think Texas cares about A&M and the SEC?

Simple... the path to the national championship runs through the SEC. A&M was the only school last year to beat the team that has won 3 out of the last 4 national titles and did so in Tuscaloosa

Certain programs are built on the perception that anything less than getting a national championship is a waste of time.  Like em, lump em or leave em... Texas has traditionally been one of those programs. Those programs don't usually fail because of the lack of effort, but because they're not going in the right direction.

Texas is failing because of their arrogance in recruiting tied to the dip in Texas high school talent. 10 years ago Brown could just open up the door and the  crème de la crème of talent would fight to get in. Sure a few would slip north to Norman or down to College Station or the SEC. But Texas got away with the philosophy of if you want to be a Shorthorn, best not shop your services around.

We'll it isn't 10 years ago and sooner or later someone in Austin is going to dump a big cup of espresso on the athletic department. When that happens it won't be, we have to keep up with OU. Why, OU hasn't won a title in 13 years and played for one 5. The target won't just be beating the KSUs, Baylor's and West Virginia's.

Programs like Texas are built to win national titles. So yes I do believe if A&M continues to have success Texas will look at what they're doing. I do believe Texas will look at what the SEC is doing, believe it or not they've started doing it in Ann Arbor, C-Bus Ohio and Norman.  To be the best, you've got to beat the best. And right now there is no doubt what the best in college football is... the SEC.

Football in general has a copy cat mentality. If you can't beat em with your system, try the one that is winning. You've seen it through the years with the option game, the change to a faster defense, the spread. The SEC does it internally which is why while Florida can drop off Alabama, LSU, Arkansas have risen up. So it's only a matter of time before other programs notice the emphasis on defense, where the SEC is recruiting and what and how they run their programs before they follow the example to a T.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 22, 2013, 03:53:31 pm
There's no reason to close in the endzone until we start filling every seat for every game. There's also a reason aTm didn't dominate the Big XII and that's called poor coaching choices. They've got a winner now and UT is on the way down. It's the perfect storm for the Aggies. In one season, they did what we haven't been able to do, beat Nick Saban.

Ordinaryly I would be on your side but I think they can sell out the luxury boxes and get more regular seats closer to the field where the added noise will help our team more.

I  doubt they will fill all of the regular seats out often but luxury boxes are on a waiting list and those are big bucks.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 25, 2013, 10:02:01 am
Ordinaryly I would be on your side but I think they can sell out the luxury boxes and get more regular seats closer to the field where the added noise will help our team more.

I  doubt they will fill all of the regular seats out often but luxury boxes are on a waiting list and those are big bucks.

Most schools plan in advance somewhat and start planning even though not all games are sold out at the time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

GlassofSwine

Quote from: jlhogfan on February 25, 2013, 06:52:11 am

If A&M had gone 8-4 or 7-5 as most expected no one would be having this conversation on here about Texas A&M becoming an elite SEC team. That's what it has to do with our record. People are jumping on the A&M bandwagon because of one good year and overlooking their history. They may be in a better conference but they are always going to play second fiddle to Texas in recruiting, The same historical things that held them back in the past have not been removed by simply joining the SEC.

LZH

Quote from: KennyForAD on February 24, 2013, 11:56:10 pm
Texas has more money that TAMU?   LMAO.

Yes, they do....and it's not even close.

Texas 2012 Athletic Budget   -   $153.5M
A&M 2012 Athletic Budget    -   $75.8M

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/08/22/In-Depth/Budgets.aspx

jlhogfan

Quote from: GlassofSwine on February 25, 2013, 04:50:09 pm
  If A&M had gone 8-4 or 7-5 as most expected no one would be having this conversation on here about Texas A&M becoming an elite SEC team. That's what it has to do with our record. People are jumping on the A&M bandwagon because of one good year and overlooking their history. They may be in a better conference but they are always going to play second fiddle to Texas in recruiting, The same historical things that held them back in the past have not been removed by simply joining the SEC.

So what if they finish 2nd to Texas in recruiting, it doesn't matter.  Who cares if Texas has a top 5 recruiting class.  A&M's adavantage is going to be consistent top 10-15 recruiting classes, which I think they will be able to acheive.  Look at the SEC ranking in recruiting, we are around 30 in the nation but damn near last in the SEC

99toLife

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 25, 2013, 06:15:14 pm

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/08/22/In-Depth/Budgets.aspx

Exactly, Texas is the King Kong of resources, They have an unlimited amount of resources if they choose to search their sofa cushions...

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 25, 2013, 06:15:14 pm

When I first saw the quote you have answered I knew there was a problem! Everyone should have already known tejas has more money than TAMU.

Hornkiller

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 26, 2013, 08:08:22 am
When I first saw the quote you have answered I knew there was a problem! Everyone should have already known tejas has more money than TAMU.

The question isn't who has more more money, but who is getting the better ROI.

Right now it's no contest. Top 10 finish, upset of the defending national champion at their house, Heisman winner. It's A&M. Now can the Aggies build on this. Looks like it with the recruiting numbers, but time will tell if they can stand the test of time in the SEC. But that is a heck of a start to a team that we all thought would stuggle for a few years in the SEC west.

Texas on the other hand: losing and barley .500 seasons, blow out losses to OU and KSU, few blue chip recruits where 10 years ago Brown auditioned and didn't recruit. Sure the alumni and LHN have the cash rolling in, the staduim is packed and the ledger looks good. But do you expect the arrogant T-Sips to go Cubs fan and accept the lovable loser role? Forget the Aggies, Tech, TCU and Baylor have been hot on the Horns heals the last few years.

jbcarol

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=128305 (access to UK's request for bids for Commonweath Stadium renovations)

Budget: $110 Million (app. $87,000,000 maximum construction budget)

• New home team facilities to include a new football locker room, coaches' lockers, equipment room, taping room, and media/interview room. Vacated spaces will be re‐purposed for other uses.

• New east sideline field access for the football team.

• New Recruiting / Multi‐purpose Room with views to the playing field along east end zone.

• Relocate student seating section to east end zone and provide a unique "student seating" environment.

• Replacement of existing south sideline bench seating to accommodate approximately 2,200 new club seats with a dedicated club lounge areas.

• Provide 16 new suites (14 seats each), a President's Suite (100 seats), and an Athletic Director's Suite (30 seats)...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Scott Cochran 'humbled every day' by Alabama's $9 million, 'jaw-dropping' weight room

Alabama is still waiting for the new set of dumbbells that will soon fill the racks of its brand new, $9 million weightlifting palace.
That certainly hasn't troubled strength and conditioning coach Scott Cochran, who said the 37,000-square foot building, which opened earlier this month, will "never be complete" to him because "you always have work to do."

More importantly, the speakers arrived on time.

"That was the No. 1 thing I asked for," Cochran said. "I'm BIG on the jock rock. Love that because you never know the day. Everybody knows that day; you have them every day, you all have a job, you do something for a living. Those are the days I crank that music so loud they can't hear anything. So loud they can't even hear me."

A reporter challenged Cochran on that near the end of a tour Wednesday. So, Cochran promptly flipped the switch and let Young Jeezy's "Ballin'" blare...

Funded almost exclusively by future revenue bonds and constructed in just five months on an expedited schedule, the weight room serves as a go-between from the Hank Crisp Indoor Facility to the Mal Moore Athletic Facility. Four clear garage doors open to the indoor field, which allows coaches to observe what's happening in both areas without flooding the separate entities with conflicting noise.

The building, which measures out to be 21,000 square feet on the bottom floor and 16,000 on the second floor, is at the Crimson Tide's football epicenter, but it's open to all of the university's varsity sports athletes.

The entire building is based around functionality, Cochran said. Twenty combination racks, which are built into the ground, greet visitors after they cross the main entrance, serving as one-stop-shops for athletes who can perform multiple exercises in the exact same spot.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/02/scott_cochran_weight_room.html
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hornkiller on February 26, 2013, 09:55:55 am
The question isn't who has more more money, but who is getting the better ROI.

Right now it's no contest. Top 10 finish, upset of the defending national champion at their house, Heisman winner. It's A&M. Now can the Aggies build on this. Looks like it with the recruiting numbers, but time will tell if they can stand the test of time in the SEC. But that is a heck of a start to a team that we all thought would stuggle for a few years in the SEC west.

Texas on the other hand: losing and barley .500 seasons, blow out losses to OU and KSU, few blue chip recruits where 10 years ago Brown auditioned and didn't recruit. Sure the alumni and LHN have the cash rolling in, the staduim is packed and the ledger looks good. But do you expect the arrogant T-Sips to go Cubs fan and accept the lovable loser role? Forget the Aggies, Tech, TCU and Baylor have been hot on the Horns heals the last few years.

TAMU has ALWAYS had a much smaller budget and less money. Because of that and other reasons tejas has historically been the much better program over the long haul. TAMU's move to the SEC was a good way for them to try to catch up and be considered equal in some respects longterm.

NoNC4Tubs

jbcarol

State Receives $500,000 Gift for Basketball Locker Room Upgrade from alumnus Danny Cupit

The half-million-dollar gift, which is part of the Bulldog Club's "Today, Tomorrow, Forever" facility initiative, will "enhance" the Bulldogs' current locker room, according to a school news release.

Cupit's gift will give MSU's locker room its first renovation since 2003, when Humphrey Coliseum got a $1.8 million upgrade.

It's been less than two years since State opened the Mize Pavilion, an $11.7 million practice facility.

Ray has dealt with personnel losses, injuries and suspensions since arriving last year, but he believes the facilities at MSU will help him bring the program back to respectability.

"The opportunity to upgrade to our locker room is a great start to taking our program to the next level," he said. "The type of enhancements and amenities we are looking to add will help attract and develop the top student-athletes we are looking for."

http://insidemsusports.com/2013/03/05/msu-receives-500000-gift-for-basketball-locker-room-upgrade/

jbcarol

March 17, 2013, 12:05:25 pm #288 Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 10:27:40 am by jbcarol
First- and second-round games in the NCAA women's tournament are scheduled at Thompson-Boling Arena on Saturday and Monday of the upcoming week. If the Vols land in the NIT, they will likely receive a generous seed and offered a home game.

The women's tournament limits that opportunity.

Because the NCAA will take over Thompson-Boling — dressing it up with tournament paraphernalia and scheduling shootarounds and media events — Wednesday would be the only day for the Vols to host a men's first-round NIT game, according to two UT sources in the program. The sources requested anonymity because no official announcement has been made.

Otherwise, Tennessee might be sent to the road.

Stokely Athletic Center shut down all operations in December and has been prepared for demolition.

NIT scheduling conflicts have created nostalgia opportunities to play in an old arena but that will not an option for the Vols.

Update: Tennessee is able to host an NIT game on Wednesday night.

UK is not able to host their opener against Robert Morris due to hosting the NCAA this week.  They will play in Moon Township outside Pittsburgh and home of John Calipari.

Jerry Tipton ‏@JerryTipton
No team will use UK locker room during NCAA 2nd- and 3rd-round games in Rupp. But NCAA will use a portion of UK locker room for staging

jbcarol

The state College Board approved plans Thursday for Ole Miss to spend $6 million for architects to design a 10,000-seat venue, a parking garage and other facilities.

The arena would replace Tad Smith Coliseum, built in 1967. Ole Miss says the current arena is outmoded and worn out.

It's not clear how much a new arena would cost. Chancellor Dan Jones says that's one issue a design would help settle. In its ongoing $150 million athletic fundraising campaign, the university has projected raising $70 million for the arena.

http://www.clarionledger.com/viewart/20130321/SPORTS030103/130321010

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on March 22, 2013, 01:30:04 pm
The state College Board approved plans Thursday for Ole Miss to spend $6 million for architects to design a 10,000-seat venue, a parking garage and other facilities.

The arena would replace Tad Smith Coliseum, built in 1967. Ole Miss says the current arena is outmoded and worn out.

It's not clear how much a new arena would cost. Chancellor Dan Jones says that's one issue a design would help settle. In its ongoing $150 million athletic fundraising campaign, the university has projected raising $70 million for the arena.

http://www.clarionledger.com/viewart/20130321/SPORTS030103/130321010

That is the truth!

jbcarol

Proposed rendering for the expansion and renovation of Commonwealth Stadium.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=130460

jbcarol

Quote from: ICEman on April 04, 2013, 12:03:52 pm
The 'nearly new' John McDonnell field will get a bit of a face-lift this summer.  New mondo will replace the current running surface along with a few important cosmetic additions.  These additions will include a bronze statue of Coach McDonnell along with a display board detailing his incredible tenure as the leader of the Razorback Thinclads.

jbcarol

New Alabama Athletics Director Bill Battle has been on the job only a few weeks, and has already delivered on his vow to conduct a "listening tour." He was spotted making his way around the stadium and talking with fans during Alabama's 9-1 win over Southeastern Louisiana last Tuesday night. He acknowledged there are problems to be addressed.

"Having a baseball facility that is competitive with our peers is a priority for us," Battle told The Tuscaloosa News.

http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1492567

jbcarol

UK dedicated a new $9.5 million softball complex yesterday.

From http://www.ukathletics.com

Saturday marked the official grand opening of the new stadium, which features 1,500 seats, a spacious press box, two luxury suites and a first-class indoor hitting/fielding facility complete with a locker room, team lounge and offices.

UK is set to host the 2013 Southeastern Conference Tournament May 8-11...

luke hawg

I remember earlier in the year a thread where Bobby P said Western Kentucky has better facilities than Arkansas.

razortaz

He was trying to sell that he wants to be there. They do have nice facilities nut no where close. I liled BP before he started alk tjat poor isme bull@$$% . Give it a couple years amd know one will remember bp.

Inhogswetrust

Some but not all of the "behind the scenes" stuff the general public doesn't see was not up to par. The locker rooms, coaches offices, training and meeting rooms and dining facilities had been passed by other schools over the years. The indoor practice facility the weight room and stadium were up to par and better than some. I remember years ago Florida didn't even have a museum or trophy room and that was when Spurrier was winning big there. Their Heisman trophy's were right inside the entrance to the coaches offices in a small receptionist area. The museum was suppose to be in the North-endzone expansion they had done several years before that, but I was told they were still trying to raise the money. The O'Connell Center was a dump! At that time we had better facilities all around. Florida has since done a lot of upgrades over the years as have other SEC schools. We have done some but not in the "nuts and bolts" of the football facilities. There is a CONSTANT facilities arms race and it will only continue. You either have to continually move forward or get behind.

P.S. We STILL don't have a basketball practice facility even though all our competition does.

HG

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 16, 2013, 01:05:55 pm
Some but not all of the "behind the scenes" stuff the general public doesn't see was not up to par. The locker rooms, coaches offices, training and meeting rooms and dining facilities had been passed by other schools over the years. The indoor practice facility the weight room and stadium were up to par and better than some. I remember years ago Florida didn't even have a museum or trophy room and that was when Spurrier was winning big there. Their Heisman trophy's were right inside the entrance to the coaches offices in a small receptionist area. The museum was suppose to be in the North-endzone expansion they had done several years before that, but I was told they were still trying to raise the money. The O'Connell Center was a dump! At that time we had better facilities all around. Florida has since done a lot of upgrades over the years as have other SEC schools. We have done some but not in the "nuts and bolts" of the football facilities. There is a CONSTANT facilities arms race and it will only continue. You either have to continually move forward or get behind.

P.S. We STILL don't have a basketball practice facility even though all our competition does.

The bigger the tradition, the faster the upgrades, I would guess.  Even when Spurrier was there, Florida was barely removed from an era where they were considered little better than Spurrier's previous employer, Duke (well, a slight exaggeration, but, seriously, Florida was a fairly bad program before Spurrier.)  Programs like Bama, Auburn and Tennessee were "traditional powers" and invested accordingly, as did ones like ND, OU and Texas.  We were no slouches, historically, but it's the frequent irony of the era that the biggest upgrades were often made after the person most responsible for making said upgrades possible (or at least demanded) died, retired, moved to a different position, i.e. Coach Broyles in our case.  And, let's face it, until relatively recently, we didn't have the insanely deep pockets of places like Texas and Notre Dame.

luke hawg

April 16, 2013, 01:41:57 pm #299 Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 02:28:51 pm by luke hawg
How could we have ever expected to win SEC hardware if there is any truth to Petrino's statement? I was looking and in 2011 and 2012 Forbes has us ranked 8th and 10th respectively in regards to the value of our football program. What amazes me is the 59 percent growth from 2010 to 2011. It appears that Arkansas has the potential to be in the top 10 consistently. There isn't another school in the top 20 that has worse football facilities than us across the board. What happens to our product on the field when the facilities reflect our worth? It also makes me wonder how much more money we could gain by Missouri being our cross division rival and dropping the SEC Little Rock game. LSU occupied the top stop in the conference at 96 million with Arkansas at 89 million. It would seem moving the Ole Miss game and changing our cross division rival along with the return of the SWC classic might make us the most profitable program in the SEC during winning seasons.