Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Saban hires Lane Kiffin to evaluate Alabama's offense.

Started by hogtilicus, December 16, 2013, 08:46:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

superior_wang

Quote from: twistitup on December 17, 2013, 03:41:48 pm
Les Miles hired Houston Nutt to come in and do the same thing
les is still amazed at how many different ways Nutt could diagram the smoke draw

East Clintwood

Quote from: twistitup on December 17, 2013, 03:41:48 pm
Les Miles hired Houston Nutt to come in and do the same thing

I gratitude,  Houston took Les out to lunch at Sonic. Houston had a milkshake and Les ate the grass around the signpost.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

superior_wang

Quote from: East Clintwood on December 17, 2013, 04:11:49 pm
I gratitude, Houston took Les out to lunch at Sonic. Houston had a milkshake and Les ate the grass around the signpost.

yep and these guys are multi millionaires... makes you wanna go jump off a  tall building doesnt it?

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

RazorReddie

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on December 16, 2013, 10:04:10 pm
Smart move by saban.

You damn right it is a smart move by Saban.  Kiffin is and has been a d-bag as head coach, but has never failed to generate offensive production. 

Furthermore, a big time leader seeks council from outside sources to be sure he is current on trends, changes, etc. instead of surrounding himself with yes men to soothe his ego.   

Nick has found his offense might need to put more points up in order to continue to hold advantage over modern offenses like Auburn, Missouri, Texas A&M, etc.

Notice I said might.  Nick might also decide he doesn't need to change a thing, but at least he is making an informed decision and not limiting his teams potential by letting his ego convince him he knows everything there is to know without consulting others who have also been successful.

I'm impressed, but not surprised. Saban practices sound decision making processes or he wouldn't be nearly as successful as he had been.  This in an area good coaches could learn from to become great coaches.  Any names come to mind?

"Life's tough, even tougher if you're stupid"

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 17, 2013, 07:35:02 pm
Let's take a look at the Saban coaching tree shall we?

This Tree is quite a stretch. For example, Jason Garrett had 18 years of coaching experience, including stints with 5 NFL teams, before becoming QB coach for Saban in Miami.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

DeltaBoy

Quote from: RazorReddie on December 17, 2013, 07:21:19 pm
You damn right it is a smart move by Saban.  Kiffin is and has been a d-bag as head coach, but has never failed to generate offensive production. 

Furthermore, a big time leader seeks council from outside sources to be sure he is current on trends, changes, etc. instead of surrounding himself with yes men to soothe his ego.   

Nick has found his offense might need to put more points up in order to continue to hold advantage over modern offenses like Auburn, Missouri, Texas A&M, etc.

Notice I said might.  Nick might also decide he doesn't need to change a thing, but at least he is making an informed decision and not limiting his teams potential by letting his ego convince him he knows everything there is to know without consulting others who have also been successful.

I'm impressed, but not surprised. Saban practices sound decision making processes or he wouldn't be nearly as successful as he had been.  This in an area good coaches could learn from to become great coaches.  Any names come to mind?

Yep and Lana always good to look at.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

superior_wang

Quote from: RazorReddie on December 17, 2013, 07:21:19 pm
You damn right it is a smart move by Saban. Kiffin is and has been a d-bag as head coach, but has never failed to generate offensive production. 

i assume you arent counting this season's USC  offense.

Bryant Disciple

Bama's offense has gotten a little stale. Nussmeier didn't have a great year. I'm sure Saban is just trying to bring in a fresh perspective and shake things up a bit.

Saban has said that he's now "starting all over again" at Alabama, so maybe this is part of the process.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Bryant Disciple on December 18, 2013, 11:00:02 am
Bama's offense has gotten a little stale. Nussmeier didn't have a great year. I'm sure Saban is just trying to bring in a fresh perspective and shake things up a bit.

Saban has said that he's now "starting all over again" at Alabama, so maybe this is part of the process.

Is ULM on Bama's schedule for next year?  ;)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

jbcarol

Say you're a football coach who has fallen on hard times. You got fired at your previous job. Your reputation is lousy.

Know what you need? Coaching rehab.

If you're trying to rehab your image and regain footing in your chosen profession, what better place than on Nick Saban's staff?

After a season or two of calling offensive plays for the Crimson Tide, Kiffin will be back in demand. Why? Because if you are deemed worthy of being hired by Saban and can hold up under his domineering style, you're well on the road to recovery.

Different coaches rehab their careers in different ways. After Bobby Petrino lost control of his Harley and his career at Arkansas in April 2012, he sat out the following season. Then Western Kentucky gave him an opportunity to re-enter the coaching world.

After one season with the Hilltoppers, his rehab was complete. Petrino hopped to Louisville, where he previously had been head coach in 2003-06.

And then there's Derek Dooley...

As for Kiffin, this is quite a career shift. For years, he somehow managed to move up the coaching ladder despite a resume that was lacking. Really, now, how do you go from offensive coordinator at Southern Cal to head coach of an NFL team at the age of 32? Granted, it was the Raiders but that's still quite a leap.

Likewise, he was out of work when Tennessee hired him as head coach. And he had just gone 7-6 with the Vols when Southern Cal called in January 2010. To this point, he is much better at getting jobs than keeping them.

Now he's roughly back where he started in 2006 when he was calling plays for Pete Carroll at Southern Cal. It's a smart move. After washing out at Southern Cal and getting fired at midseason, he was not exactly in demand. This was the best way to get back into the game.

It takes two to rehab so Saban had to be on board. He is. While he is acutely aware of Kiffin's flaws and shortcomings, Saban has his own agenda. He wants to win national championships. And he sees Kiffin as a means toward that end.

Saban has been a fan of Kiffin for quite some time. He tried to hire him in 2007. Later, Saban praised Kiffin profusely after the 2009 Alabama-Tennessee game when Kiffin's overmatched Vols almost beat the eventual national champion Tide in Tuscaloosa.

When Doug Nussmeier left Alabama to become offensive coordinator at Michigan, Saban sent out feelers and eventually hired Kiffin. The move raised lots of eyebrows. Saban is a control freak. Kiffin is a loose cannon. Why bring in an assistant coach who could be a distraction.

My question: When was the last time an Alabama assistant was a distraction?

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20140128/COLUMNIST0202/301280120/2072/sports

Thinks Saban will keep Kiffin under controls and he rarely lets the assistants address the media.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  2h 
Lane Kiffin's former players expect him to find success at Alabama, call him an 'offensive guru' ow.ly/ub6aN

Four former USC players, all of whom endured the midseason coaching switch that kickstarted Kiffin's journey from Manhattan Beach to Tuscaloosa, endorsed Nick Saban's decision to hire Kiffin as his new offensive coordinator.

Most of the responses to questions about Kiffin sounded a lot like former USC tight end Xavier Grimble's.

"I think he's going to do well in that position," Grimble said. "I still think he will be a good coach later on if he gets another opportunity to be a head coach. I couldn't see why he wouldn't do well at it."

Defensive lineman George Uko had a different perspective of a coach he described as an "offensive guru." He saw a head coach who "overthought things" because "he saw the game so slow that he would sometimes overanalyze."

It's at the heart of the reason why Uko thinks Kiffin will "take Alabama to the next level" in his first offensive coordinator-exclusive role since 2006.

"I definitely think he was better in just his cylinder," Uko said...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net