Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Crawfishing

Started by Verge, August 05, 2012, 12:00:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Verge

Can it be done in NWA?

Lord of the Styes

I would try the White River  or some creeks that have good loamy dirt for the banks. I guess those baby crawfish have to come from somewhere.

Dillar Dog

In season maybe.  What you look for is for a field to get flooded and then dry up.  Find out where they're moving to, get some buckets, and load them up.

deshahawg

Be sure and have your traps properly identified by the AGFC standards. On the white river lock 2 has been known for some killer fishing.

Verge

Quote from: deshahawg on August 05, 2012, 09:38:53 pm
Be sure and have your traps properly identified by the AGFC standards. On the white river lock 2 has been known for some killer fishing.

Yea that is the hard part. Trying to decipher the regs.

PEtrader

Verge there are always the girls at silver dollar.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

Verge

Quote from: PEtrader on August 07, 2012, 09:13:12 am
Verge there are always the girls at silver dollar.

Been to platinum 300-400 times. Never went to the SD, although it's the same chicks.

If you put cooked bacon on a hook and toss it in the rocks i've pulled up some lobster sized crawfish out of the beaver lake rocks. The dumb crustaceans hold on for dear life, you can drop em in the boat. Seems like with 4 or 5 traps you could fanangle enough to eat for 2 people. Heck i could probably do it with bacon and 3 hours on a boat. But dropping traps and drinking beer while they work seems easier.

Rzbakfromwaybak

August 09, 2012, 01:50:28 am #7 Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 01:56:14 am by Rzbakfromwaybak
Quote from: Verge on August 07, 2012, 09:33:33 pm
Been to platinum 300-400 times. Never went to the SD, although it's the same chicks.

If you put cooked bacon on a hook and toss it in the rocks i've pulled up some lobster sized crawfish out of the beaver lake rocks. The dumb crustaceans hold on for dear life, you can drop em in the boat. Seems like with 4 or 5 traps you could fanangle enough to eat for 2 people. Heck i could probably do it with bacon and 3 hours on a boat. But dropping traps and drinking beer while they work seems easier.

Yep Verge.....  I remember doing this same thing as a kid.  We would get a half dozen strips of raw bacon & secure a small piece to about 6ft of line & and a long cane pole.  There were several rocky creeks close to our house......we would just walk around the banks & drop the bacon around the rocks.  Just like you said....those crawfish would grab the bacon with their claws, & would almost never let go until we had them on the bank.  First time I have thought of those summer trips to the creek... in years. 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.