Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cowboys' Ellis breaks the silence on position change

Started by GrizzledHogFan, August 02, 2006, 07:08:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GrizzledHogFan

Associated Press

OXNARD, Calif. (AP) - Greg Ellis still isn't happy about moving from defensive end to outside linebacker, but the Dallas Cowboys' longtime sacks leader vowed Tuesday he's going to try to make it work out.

"I can honestly say my mind is on learning the position," said Ellis, who avoided reporters for the first three days of training camp because he wasn't ready to discuss the switch. "Nobody wants to see a drop-off in sacks because I play a different position. That's my concern, but it won't be from a lack of effort."

Ellis fears his production will plummet and the Cowboys will cut him, forcing him to sign elsewhere at a reduced rate. To protect against that, he's asked the team to restructure his deal with more upfront money. The club has balked, prompting some harsh comments from Ellis leading up to training camp.

"I think (coach Bill Parcells) has confidence I'm going to pick it up, but the people making decisions on the contract, they aren't sure," Ellis said. "It's like, 'Well, he's never played that position. He may excel, he may not excel. If we do something and he excels, great. And if we do something and he doesn't excel, bad.' I understand that - and that's why I want to get something done."

Ellis was a starting defensive end from the day he was drafted No. 8 overall in 1998 until last season, when Parcells changed the scheme from a 4-3 to a 3-4.

At 270 pounds, Ellis is small for a 3-4 end, so he knew his days as a starter were numbered. He made it through 13 games before his streak of 121 career starts ended.

Parcells has tried selling him on the switch by pointing out the success he's had with several others like Ellis, most notably Willie McGinest in New England.

Ellis, however, is thinking more about Kenard Lang, a 4-3 end for Cleveland who was cut after getting only two sacks last season when the Browns switched to the 3-4. He wound up in Denver, back in a 4-3.

"They were like, 'We like you, son, but, hey, we really can't pay you that kind of money for (two) sacks,"' Ellis said. "Again, that's understandable and that's my concern."

Ellis has led Dallas in sacks six of the last seven seasons. He's tied a club record by being on top five straight years.

Parcells insists Ellis will still play a meaningful role simply because there aren't many others who can get to quarterbacks. The only other established threat is second-year linebacker DeMarcus Ware, who made the conversion from DE to LB as a rookie and tied Ellis for the most sacks.

"It is an impact position and it gives you a lot of chances to make a lot of plays to help your team win," Ellis said. "But if you don't know it, it can be a damper on your team."

Ellis said he appreciates Parcells trying to find a role for him.

"But for me to fit in and do something I've never done at this point of my career, it's not a happy situation for me," he said. "But I'm in it and I'm just going to do what they tell me to do and try to make plays."

Coaches and scouts are telling Ellis he's coming along just fine. He doesn't feel like it, though, especially when he's forced to drop into coverage.

"Those kind of things, I have to admit, are scary," he said. "My own confidence in doing it isn't there. ... It's a huge challenge. I'm like a rookie learning it all over again."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5831418
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.