Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not Hog Related, but.....

Started by OGR69, December 07, 2015, 02:42:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OGR69

I put this on MMQB, but figured I would share it here as well

Got to brag a little-
As some of you know, my son has dreamed of playing on the Hill for the Hogs.  He loves CSP and they talk regularly.  CSP told him if he were an inch or 2 taller....CSP and Mateos have been up front, honest, encouraging and helpful.  We have been camping on the Hill for the past 8 years-the kid knows his way around the campus and town like he goes to school there.
He had 9 offers to continue playing and get an education.  He narrowed it down to New Mexico, Army, Air Force and Navy.  He made it official today (though the school, my wife and I knew Thanksgiving)....#AnchorsAweigh!  Headed to the Naval Academy.  He will go to the Naval Prep School for a year (their way of doing a red-shirt), have 4 years at the Academy and then 5 years of service.
Now if I can just keep it from my dad (played basketball on the Hill in late 60s) and father-in-law until Christmas day!

JaketheSnake

Hakuna Matata

Awesome. Congrats to your son and family. The Navy is a good choice. Does he know if he will go Marines or Navy?

ThisTeetsTaken

Congratulations!  I'm proud for you.  I didn't know that playing ball for the military schools was a 10 year commitment alltogether.  Good for you and your family!
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

OGR69

Quote from: Hakuna Matata on December 07, 2015, 02:48:43 pm
Awesome. Congrats to your son and family. The Navy is a good choice. Does he know if he will go Marines or Navy?
Unsure at this point.  He has until his JR year to decide.  Knows he wants to study engineering and/or cyber terrorism.
Passed up the opportunity to go to the Army/Navy game this weekend in order to keep it from our dads-said in 2 years he will be living it and playing in the game-they can come watch ME play.

gmarv

wow that's great congrats to your son.

ShadowTheHedgehog

The Navy Acad is a good school. Congrats!!

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Awesome! 
Congrats to both of you!
If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving is not for you...

Oklahawg

Fantastic news. Congrats all the way around.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

porkinsons disease

This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

redeye

TexasRazorback

AugustaHog

Congratulations!  That is very exciting news indeed!  Our military can't get enough good young men and the tradition of the service academies is awesome.  Thanks for sharing!

Boarmonger

Huge deal, you should be very proud of him.  Few are chosen.

Adam Stokes

Went from having options to playing the option.  Not bad!

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

trashcan maN

Ive been in the Navy for 9 years. Great decision by your son. Wish him the best and hope to see him in the fleet in a few years.

who knows

Quote from: Ftsmithmike on October 07, 2011, 03:56:29 pm
This is what Game Day should look like.

oldhawg

Major congratulations.

Talk perseverance to him, especially the first year.  My son is a USNA graduate, but his plebe year he came home for Christmas (first trip away from the Yard) and said he thought that he wanted to transfer.  Since it was mid-year, I asked him to consider finishing the year, and then I would help him find a school he wanted.  He never brought up transferring again.  He bought into the program, played soccer and ran track there, has made lifelong friendships, got out of the navy after seven years, and is a very marketable commodity in the business world.

Again, my congratulations to him and you ---- he won't regret the decision.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: OGR69 on December 07, 2015, 02:42:59 pm

Got to brag a little-
As some of you know, my son has dreamed of playing on the Hill for the Hogs.  He loves CSP and they talk regularly.  CSP told him if he were an inch or 2 taller....CSP and Mateos have been up front, honest, encouraging and helpful.  We have been camping on the Hill for the past 8 years-the kid knows his way around the campus and town like he goes to school there.
He had 9 offers to continue playing and get an education.  He narrowed it down to New Mexico, Army, Air Force and Navy.  He made it official today (though the school, my wife and I knew Thanksgiving)....#AnchorsAweigh!  Headed to the Naval Academy.  He will go to the Naval Prep School for a year (their way of doing a red-shirt), have 4 years at the Academy and then 5 years of service.
Now if I can just keep it from my dad (played basketball on the Hill in late 60s) and father-in-law until Christmas day!

my best friend from high school went this exact route, went to the prep school then to the academy after (was a DE for them).  He will tell you it is very difficult but also very rewarding in the end.  He went on tour after graduating and is back home for a few years now until his next tour.  He actually just completed his 5 years of service and chose to sign on for additional time.  He hasn't regretted it one bit.

Congratulations to your son for not only earning a scholarship to the Naval Academy but also for choosing to serve our country.  I'm sure you and your family are very proud, and rightfully so.

Good luck to him!

LRHawg

greenie

Fantastic!!  Being invited to play D1 college football is a great honor, but is nothing like being educated in Annapolis and serving this great country.  Congratulations.

trphog

Congrats! Thank him for his service

Steef

Don't be surprised if, after while, your two threads get merged.

But for now...Congrats! Very big deal.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

The Boar War

SA Hog Fan

As an Army officer I am obligated to say boo Navy but congrats. That is awesome.

BigSexyHog

That's awesome.  What a opportunity for your son.  God bless to him and your family.   I know his dream was to be a hog but in fact he already is, just will be representing the hogs at the Academy.   
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Mick

Congratulations!! That's pretty awesome

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

LAHOG1962

Congratulations! I have more respect for someone who puts on a uniform and defends our nation than any other profession.What a great honor for your son to attend the Naval Academy.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: OGR69 on December 07, 2015, 02:42:59 pm

Got to brag a little-

That's great news! Very happy for your son and your whole family. Not everyone gets the opportunity to attend one of the service academies. It's a great honor and a feather in your son's cap and he'll get a great education that will serve him well for a lifetime.
Go Hogs Go!

HogBreath

What a tremendous honor for your son!  Not much can rival an education from the Naval Academy.  I know you and your family are very proud and should be. 
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Tigerloather

Congratulations OGR69!  Best luck to your son!  Know you're a proud father!
Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity - Frank Leahy

ChicoHog

No harm in bragging about that.  That is fantastic news for your son and your family.  I'm sure the grandads will also be excited even if he's not going to be on the hill.  It's a great honor for all of you. 

theFlyingHog

That's awesome. I wish I'd had my ish together enough to go to Annapolis

cc

Congratulations to the proud dad and son.  Poke your chest out for a while because you do have something to crow about.

I was on my way to the Air Force Academy but not for a sports ride.  Blew my knee out in football my senior year and it all fell through. 

southarkhog06

Im a little late to this thread but if you are financially able you should take him to Pearl Harbor before he reports it is one of the best experiences in the world and will solidify he is making the right choice.

This coming from a 10 yr Army Grunt.