Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

9/11 Ten Year Anniversery--where were you when the world changed?

Started by pheine78, September 09, 2011, 05:09:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pheine78

RAF Lakenheath England.  I was working a flex schedule, I had to call Base Operations or my duty section around late afternoon time-frame and see when flying ending for the day (we reported 9 hours before that, back then flying ended very late at night).  I remember I called my shop and my boss told me that we were under attack and to turn on my TV.  I actually thought the base was under attack when I hear that.  That sounds like typical Air Force though, "turn on the TV!!!"

I can't believe it has been ten years since 9/11.  I know it seems like in the intervening time we have lost a lot of support from our allies and the rest of the world; with that said, tomorrow my town--I am currently stationed at Aviano Air Base, Italy--is hosting an Italian/American friendship day to remember the event.  The great thing about it is that is sponsored by the Italians and thousands are expected to attend.  The sad (and perhaps suprising thing) is that American participation is expected to be very low.  Maybe that says something about the state of the Air Force.  I for one, will be there with my family and friends and am proud that the Italians still support us and remember what a tragedy befell us. 
Nolan for defensive coordinator!

TeufelHog

Ftsmithmike

I don't even remember the night before. I may have been out drinking. Who knows. I was just a kid hanging out in Germany until I woke up on Sept 11. I got the news from the German police when they stopped me as I was entering post.

I just kind of pulled up like a dumb ass and asked what was going on. I really don't think the rank and file in the military understood what it meant. I don't think I have had a good nights sleep since that day. All of my children were born post 9/11 and it pains me to know they won't have the simple life I had because we will always have to look over our shoulder now. I don't like that but it is the new reality. Even as we dismantle AQ the threat grows.
"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

Ragnar Hogbrok

Sleeping in my bed at Humphreys Hall sleeping through one of my classes yet again.

If it weren't for 9/11, I don't know if I would have ever got my stuff together in life.  I joined the Army less than a year later, and one deployment to Iraq and two to Afghanistan later, I find myself still in the Army looking at yet another deployment to Afghanistan in the near future.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Fort Dweller

Elmendorf AFB, AK.  In the shower to be exact, getting ready for a trip to the chow hall and off to work.  Shortly after 0500L, my suite mate burst into the bathroom, and pulled me out of the shower.  With a towel around my waist, me and 6 others just stood there and watched.  We reported to our squadrong where A1C White and I were pulled of augmentee duty immediately.  Spent the next 12 hours checking ID's, setting up barricades, and directing traffic 100 ft from the building.  Long, long day.

My enlistment has since ended and I'm spending my time focusing on being a father and making up for the time lost when deployed.  I regret seperating, yet it is a regret I can live with.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

82abn Ard

Instructor at Command and Staff College, had put in retiremet  after 21 years three weeks before.

Old Tusk

I was walking out of the chow hall when one of my troops ran up and told me that a commuter plane had hit the WTC. My first response was how can anyone screw up that bad. I got back to my office in time to see the second aircraft hit. I watched as the buildings collapsed. Then called for a staff meeting in an hour because I knew that we would be getting a call shortly.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

H&D

I was at Eglin AFB, FL.  I had just returned from Saudi Arabia two weeks before 9-11.  September 10th was my first night back at work.  I worked 1800 to 0600.  I had just laid down for bed when my wife came running into the bedroom all panicked.  Right then my recall pager started going off. I got to work a few minutes later and all hell had broken loose.  We had the base in Delta within the hour.  I worked about 36hrs straight after that. We worked 16-18 hr days for the next 18 days straight.  It was all a blurr.

96th Security Forces Squadron.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

ARtillahog

J_Ville_Devils_Den

I was stationed at Barksdale AFB in Shreveport, LA at the time.  I was working in the education and training section in the hospital.  My wife called and was telling about the first plane.  i just blew it off as a small plane and the pilot must have had a heart attack or something.  Then she called back and said no it was a commercial  passenger plane.  I tried to look it up online but all the reliable sites were down or extremely slow, so i found a TV in the physical therapy clinic where i watched the second plane crash into the other tower.  I then heard them on the news say that President Bush was leaving a base in Florida and was most likely headed to BARKDALE AFB.  I was like what the F^ck we are being attacked and they are telling people where to find our leader?  i then called my wife and told here to go get the kids (4 kids at 3 different schools off base) before they locked the base down.  she called back 30 mins later and said she made it back on base and they closed the gates 5 cars behind her.
Member Number:  #329

Major Payne: Do not attempt to valid my authority. I have eight weeks to turn you gaggling maggots into a well-discipline cadet unit. From this day forward your sorry asses belong to me. You will not eat, sleep, drink, blow your nose or dig in your buts without my say so. Know this, killing is my business, ladies, and business is good.