Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adopting Afghan/Iraqi children...

Started by Ragnar Hogbrok, February 20, 2009, 10:55:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ragnar Hogbrok

Having been to both Iraq (2003-04) and Afghanistan (2005, and soon to leave again this year), my wife and I were having a conversation about adoption.  I'm currently 26 (will be 27 next month), have a 4 year old boy, and have one more on the way due in August.

I can't really explain it, but my heart has a connection to both Iraq and Afghanistan.  Especially the children.  Those poor, poor children.  My wife and I discussed adopting either an Iraqi Arab or Afghani Pashtun girl, seeing as how the women are mistreated in their culture.

My question is this:  Does anyone here know of how the adoption process works for these two countries?  Does anyone have or know of anyone who has experience with adoption of either of these two countries?  I know adoption can take up to a few years to complete, so we're looking early. 

Any help from the Razorvets would be much appreciated.  If you have personal stories or information, don't hesitate to PM me.

Thanks in advance...

Your friendly, neighborhood, Apache Pilot
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.