Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any advice...........Looking to join Air National Guard as health professional

Started by idochog, October 15, 2008, 03:52:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

idochog

I love Jesus!

AFWarrior83

Quote from: idochog on October 15, 2008, 03:52:11 am
Any information on the Air National Guard?

Thanks

Hey man, I'm active duty so I'm not too keen on the Guard side but I'll try to help you.

First, do you have a bachelors degree?

Second, do you want to do it full-time or part-time?
(they have what's called "active guard" which is just like active duty except you stay at the guard base your attached to the whole time, minus possible deployments.

No matter what, you have to take a test to see where you would probably excel, so it's not a guarantee you can go right in the medical field.  If you have a degree, there are probably exceptions, I don't know I'm enlisted not officer.

The best advice I could give you is to call the Air Guard base closest to your residence.  I know there is one where I am from (Ft Smith) and Little Rock also has guard members, even though it's an active duty base.

Feel free to shoot me a PM with any questions you might have, best of luck to you!
Hogville member since 2005.

razorbacker231

i am not trying to sway you one way or the other, but i tried to join active AF after getting honerable discharge from the Army.  AF active duty does not want anybody, with VERY few exeption, that is prior service from another branch.  that includes air guard.  now if you have a bachelors and are planning on being an officer, that may be a different story.

my point is that if you plan on going active duty with AF, think hard if you want to start in the guard.

that being said, you can do active reserve, as prior service, i am told.

Airforcehawg

Quote from: razorbacker231 on November 03, 2008, 03:19:05 pm
i am not trying to sway you one way or the other, but i tried to join active AF after getting honerable discharge from the Army.  AF active duty does not want anybody, with VERY few exeption, that is prior service from another branch.  that includes air guard.  now if you have a bachelors and are planning on being an officer, that may be a different story.

my point is that if you plan on going active duty with AF, think hard if you want to start in the guard.

that being said, you can do active reserve, as prior service, i am told.

First that I have heard about folks having trouble coming in from guard to active duty...I know there can sometimes be instances with folks coming in from other services...I am curious when you where trying to get in to the Air Force...If it was about a year ago they were not taking anyone due to the genus ideal of cutting our manning by 47K+ to pay for new planes...New leadership has scrapped that plan recently and it should be alot easier to make that transition now

Airforcehawg

Oh and just curious AFWARRIOR, I'm from the Fort to...

NHS/SHS?? NHS (96' here)
Stationed in the states (just PCSed to Nellis myself)

razorbacker231

Quote from: Airforcehawg on November 07, 2008, 02:14:19 pm

First that I have heard about folks having trouble coming in from guard to active duty...I know there can sometimes be instances with folks coming in from other services...I am curious when you where trying to get in to the Air Force...If it was about a year ago they were not taking anyone due to the genus ideal of cutting our manning by 47K+ to pay for new planes...New leadership has scrapped that plan recently and it should be alot easier to make that transition now

it was this spring.  again, i was army, but recruiter did tell me it was hard for anyone.  hope i am not misleading anyone. 

hope idochog does do his homework though, if that even relevent to his situation...

nlrwildcat1

I was army and tryed going active air force but they are only taking specialtiy jobs like combat control for prior servie guys. It has been that way for almost 5 years now same thing. I went guard and loved it you can volunteer to deploy almost anywhere in the world if you want to.

hogginbama

Quote from: idochog on October 15, 2008, 03:52:11 am
Any information on the Air National Guard?

Thanks

As a recruiting instructor for the Army, I will only advise you to do your homework, remember you are making a life changing decision and if you don't see it in writing then by god don't sign a thing. Many times a recruiter (there are some from all branches) that will say we will work on that after you sign the contract. Once you sign it is to late, have to have special permission from higher ups to change anything in the contract. Take your time and don't rush it, make the service of choice prove to you why they can do what they say and why they deserve your service.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.