Started by bigpigpimpin, November 23, 2015, 12:22:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpigpimpin

To me, it's

1. Player development

2. Game planning

3. Adjustments

4. Play calling

Now, with that being said, we have seen drastic improvement on the offensive side of the ball despite injury after injury. Although I was dead set against Enos early on, I would have to give him an A for the way the offense has improved.

On the flip side of that, I would have to give Robb Smith a D for the defense, and it's not an F because there is a lack of talent. But....name players that have gotten better on defense this year...player development? Every game it seems we come out in the same base defense with two deep safeties, therefore leaving our slow linebackers having to cover tight ends and recievers cutting across the middle. Game planning? And we rarely send pressure or mix things up. Ole miss and miss st. Shredded us all night long and we didn't ever change. Adjustments? As far as defensive play calling goes, it blows my mind on 3rd and 3 and our corners are 8 yards off the ball.

Anyways, this thread was not started to throw smith under the bus, but he has not done a good job this year. It's tough to make chicken salad out of well...you know, but you would expect to see some improvement or adjustments made by the 11th game of the year. Even if we had made the field goal with 40 seconds left, does anyone here believe the defense would have kept them out of field goal range in that time. I dont.

So when you guys are saying this coach has done a great job or that coach has done a poor job, what are the things you are looking at when you say that?

MJ2

IMO coaching is THE most important factor of all.    Talent helps, but we have all seen talented teams under perform and teams with little real talent win games.   Duke may be a good example of the later in this years college football while LSU is obviously an under performer based on their talent.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on November 23, 2015, 12:22:46 pm

Even if we had made the field goal with 40 seconds left, does anyone here believe the defense would have kept them out of field goal range in that time. I dont.

Couldn't agree more. In fact, one of my UT coworkers today said, "Even if he makes the kick, you still would have lost 54-53."
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol