Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Our coach is too conservative

Started by Danny J, November 21, 2015, 09:50:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

first i don't care about what every coach would do.

how games are being played & personnel should dictate what you should do.

all you have to do is ask yourself one question: do you trust ba & the offense more than the kicker?

btw, notice we did not try the 42 yarder in the 3Q. that is all you need to know about our kicking situation.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

razorJAcker

Quote from: woo.pig on November 21, 2015, 10:07:34 pm
It was great coaching adjustments at the half that even put back in the game.

Actually it was MSU coming out and turning the ball over 3 times in a row.

incHOGnito

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 21, 2015, 10:06:18 pm
We played not to lose.  And our defense was horrific.

I agree on the defense, and CBB should and will take the blame for this loss but it is not because of the end game strategy, it is because of our inept defense and awful special teams field goal blocking.

ki285

You dont always play for the field goal. We were in the redzone, our qb was on fire, our kicker sucks, and our defense is an embarrassment. If you get the field the goal, their is no guarantee that this defense stops them. You go for the kill and play to win the damn game. You kick the field goal only if they keep you out of the endzone.

Danny J

Quote from: choicesthops on November 21, 2015, 10:04:34 pm
You say that NOW but I guarantee that you would have called for BB's head if he was aggressive and failed and asked why he was so stupid to not kick a FG.
I was screaming at the damn TV to go for the TD on first and 10 from their 13 yard line. Why did we decide all the sudden to start running clock? We haven't stopped them all night. If we made the FG they likely would have marched the field in the time remaining and scored a TD anyways. We should have went for TD and 2 point conversion. Why would our coach all the sudden tighten his butt at the end when not too long ago we went for the endzone on a 4th and 1? He is all over the place. This loss is on CBB and nobody else.

ki285

Quote from: Kevin on November 21, 2015, 10:08:31 pm

all you have to do is ask yourself one question: do you trust ba & the offense more than the kicker?

btw, notice we did not try the 42 yarder in the 3Q. that is all you need to know about our kicking situation.
Great minds think alike.

Danny J

Quote from: Kevin on November 21, 2015, 10:08:31 pm

Correct....it is a no brainer.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 21, 2015, 10:08:06 pm
No I wouldn't have been.  I was pissed earlier when we went for the 4th and 1.  You always try to take points during the game.   Then in the end when you have a hot hand going you don't take him out of the game by running the ball 3times in a row to rely on a guy that has a 66% in kicking. 

I just hate playing not to lose football.   Go for the damn kill.

I liked that we went for it on 4th and 1...just didn't like the play call.  But our coach is too conservative...

Defense.  We had no way to stop Dak Prescott--and they had no way to stop Brandon Allen.  This game was gonna come down to who had the ball last--barring some special teams gaff...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

WMHawgfan

I am as pissed as anyone about the kick. It's like the albatross around our necks. If we are in a game that comes down to a kick we are toast.

Having said that I don't fault the logic of making them burn their timeouts. I get it, I am just pissed that it seems our fg unit has been a trainwreck for three years, showing no signs of improvement. If its not the kicker shanking it, then its the line getting blown up. Always something to blow it.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: hogman78 on November 21, 2015, 10:08:29 pm
You can shove your guarantee in your ass! I haven't said anything negative about this team or coaching staff. The decision to play for a field goal with a red hot quarterback was stupid. Not even borderline stupid, just plain ol stupid.

you are 100% wrong

sowmonella

This is beyond any doubt the dumbest thread in the history of Hogville.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hardtimes79

I seem to recall the new york giants passing in a situation like this earlier this year.  They stopped the clock with an incomplete pass allowing the team to keep a timeout.  Needless to say they lost on that bonehead mistake.  Volezke let a man cross his face and that's why we loss the game, not Bret being conservative.
The easiest way to save face is to keep the lower half shut.

hhicNaychaBoi

Quote from: rtr on November 21, 2015, 10:05:55 pm
But we have had trouble in this area.  Law of averages don't mean much.
every coach in college and the NFL would have run the ball with that field position and time on the clock. Make your opponent burn their time outs and bet on making a very short fg. That's perfect game management in that situation. If we pick up the first down running then the clock would have been use at our discretion. We would have 2 time outs msu would have none. Volkze just got beat on the fg try. If coach had to do it all over again I guarantee you nothing would change.

Smokehouse

I like how people can simultaneously bash the 4th and 1 call for being too aggressive and the last sequence for being too aggressive.

I'd have liked to see them go for the TD at the end because at this point they're just playing for a better bowl game. Give Brandon the shot to keep making plays to end the season, because he's earned it at this point. But otherwise that FG should have been a chip-shot.

The defense is what really blew that game.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: sowmonella on November 21, 2015, 10:13:33 pm

^^^^^

hawgXi

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 21, 2015, 10:08:06 pm
No I wouldn't have been.  I was pissed earlier when we went for the 4th and 1.  You always try to take points during the game.   Then in the end when you have a hot hand going you don't take him out of the game by running the ball 3times in a row to rely on a guy that has a 66% in kicking. 

I just hate playing not to lose football.   Go for the damn kill.

I think  converting the 4th & 1 for a 1st down woulda clintched it for us

VictoryRedChevy

I've been behind the staff most of the time this year, but this one was a real headscratcher for me.

With the way our offense had driven downfield and the uncertainty of our FG unit, I think we should've went for the TD on one of those three run plays.

orvillesghost

agree..this thread ranks up there with the idiot threads of all time..

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: orvillesghost on November 21, 2015, 10:18:46 pm
agree..this thread ranks up there with the idiot threads of all time..

Yep.
This is my non-signature signature.

woo.pig

Quote from: Smokehouse on November 21, 2015, 10:14:53 pm
I like how people can simultaneously bash the 4th and 1 call for being too aggressive and the last sequence for being too aggressive.

I'd have liked to see them go for the TD at the end because at this point they're just playing for a better bowl game. Give Brandon the shot to keep making plays to end the season, because he's earned it at this point. But otherwise that FG should have been a chip-shot.

This! No win situation for BB

Danny J

Quote from: sowmonella on November 21, 2015, 10:13:33 pm
Almost as dumb as driving 80 yards...2 minutes to go...first and 10 for the opponents 15 then deciding to run up the gut for 3 yards total after 3 attempts to allow your shaky as hell FG to attempt a 29 yard FG. It is a dumb thread but not as dumb as that. BTW...how did it turn out for us?

Danny J

Quote from: Smokehouse on November 21, 2015, 10:14:53 pm

4th and 1 from the 30 is not the same as 1 and 10 from the 15. Do you see the difference? I mean our QB is smoking hot. You trust our FG unit over our offense? You guys do know that is basically what you are saying. You guys have more faith in our FG unit than our offense. Sounds ludicrous doesn't it?

hhicNaychaBoi

Anytime you score 50 and lose you have to blame the defense. They are young and it shows week in and week out. They will get better. It was a great game but a lot on you fanatics are crying like you're on the team. Arkansas will finish with 8 wins this season and 10 next year.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Danny J on November 21, 2015, 09:53:30 pm
This loss is ALL on the staff.

Our D plays too soft...that is on Smith and CBB

We went for TD on 4th and 1...that is on CBB and Enos

We then run three times and settle for a FG attempt with a kicking game that is shaky at best after marching down the field passing and that is an ALL CBB decision.

This loss is on CBB...period.

This times a thousand.  When we passed on 4th and one I knew we had likely turned the tide back to St.  Sickens me that men paid so much money can make such stupid decisions.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Danny J on November 21, 2015, 10:20:38 pm
Almost as dumb as driving 80 yards...2 minutes to go...first and 10 for the opponents 15 then deciding to run up the gut for 3 yards total after 3 attempts to allow your shaky as hell FG to attempt a 29 yard FG. It is a dumb thread but not as dumb as that. BTW...how did it turn out for us?

Let's be honest here...if you can't convert a 29 yard field goal--at home--you deserve to lose.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

elksnort

You all should rest upon this and wait till tomorrow to make the same decision

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 21, 2015, 10:23:13 pm
This times a thousand.  When we passed on 4th and one I knew we had likely turned the tide back to St.  Sickens me that men paid so much money can make such stupid decisions.

I'm guessing we could get you for, what, half CBB's salary?  Just think of all the money we could save.

JackSalmon

Danny J

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 21, 2015, 10:23:51 pm
Let's be honest here...if you can't convert a 29 yard field goal--at home--you deserve to lose.
Why even settle at that point? Why go conservative? Why not ride BA and the offense to the endzone? MSU was on their heels. Score and go for 2...at worse you are playing for OT. Instead we rely on our shaky FG unit to win us the game? I don't have a problem kicking it on 4th down. I have a problem with the 3 straight up the gut run plays. It makes no sense given the history of our FG unit.

Kevin

outside of greenlaw, & liddell, not sure our defense is young
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

RazorbackAlways

We should have gone for the TD...plain and simple...you lost all momentum running it into the ground 3 times

Kevin

the 4th & 1 in the 3q. i liked the decision, did not like the play call. the reason you make that call is you don't trust your kicker or your defense.

so if you are going to do that then, 1st and 10 from the 15, use the same logic, go for the td, because you don;t trust your kicker or your defense.

Danny J

Quote from: Kevin on November 21, 2015, 10:30:51 pm
the 4th & 1 in the 3q. i liked the decision, did not like the play call. the reason you make that call is you don't trust your kicker or your defense.

so if you are going to do that then, 1st and 10 from the 15, use the same logic, go for the td, because you don;t trust your kicker or your defense.
Spot on....makes no sense. Oh well.....

razorbackchamps94

Quote from: choicesthops on November 21, 2015, 09:54:22 pm
You guys are delusional. You always kick the FG there.
Yeah WHEN you have a decent kicker

hog.goblin

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 21, 2015, 10:24:49 pm
I'm guessing we could get you for, what, half CBB's salary?  Just think of all the money we could save.

Sounds like a plan

redbarn

Any time your offense scores 50 points in regulation and you still lose the game there is something terribly wrong with the defense.  We might have won the game with the field goal but should have never been  a position to need to.  Our defense sucks and is our weakness and it has been proven over and over.  Until our defense is on a par with the offense we will continue to lose games we should have won.  We can not continually outscore our opponents each and every game without a defensive unit to stop the opposing teams progress and we are severely lacking in that department thus far. 
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

hawgbawb

Quote from: westside_player on November 21, 2015, 09:57:50 pm
Just b/c you are marching down the field between the 20's doesn't guarantee a touchdown pass bc there becomes less and less field to protect for them. You play for the FG there b/c if you get an interception the game is over.  It's short, straight on. Should be able to get it high. You rarely see someone get beat inside like that on a block.
^^^^^this
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

tophawg19

when you can't trust your kicking game , you play all out to win. the kicking game blew it at the end of ole miss too. we can't depend on them under pressure . they couldn't cover our TE'S  or WR'S SO you play for 7
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

PonderinHog

Quote from: Fort Dweller on November 21, 2015, 10:02:25 pm
I'm here.  Up that total.

I'm calling Ponderin and X as well.
I'm hear ???  185 pounds of pure stoopid  at you're cervix.

Porkette

When was the last time Arkansas kicked a field goal to win a game? (I mean this as a real question, not an obnoxious one.) it just feels like it's been forever! Not sure why.
GO HOGS GO!

LZH

My main complaints are that our defense looked like Swiss cheese, our supposedly massive offensive line could not run block and could barely pass block, and at the end we did not go for the end zone at least once, then basically missed an extra point because it got blocked.

I am sure I will get into complaining about BB and his crew later. But as for now I think our kids played as hard as they possibly could. Were they unprepared? I rather doubt it.

BPsTheMan

Dweller, Ponderin, Cullen and XHOG ups the stupid poundage to 9k

you guys need to loose some damn weight

lumphog

You idiots really shouldn't post.....

presidenthog

He really isn't that conservative he went for that 4th down call that we missed. I just don't understand why he didn't go for it at the end. obvious what that 4th down called that he didn't trust our fg unit.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Cullen Fitzpatrick on November 21, 2015, 10:54:29 pm
I'm going on a hunger strike until you apologize.  >:(

stop invading my safe space  >:(

Albert Einswine

Quote from: presidenthog on November 21, 2015, 10:55:28 pm
He really isn't that conservative he went for that 4th down call that we missed. I just don't understand why he didn't go for it at the end. obvious what that 4th down called that he didn't trust our fg unit.

He didn't trust our field goal unit with a 42 yarder, but he did with an extra point.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

BPsTheMan

PonderinHog

[qu >:(ote author=Fort Dweller link=topic=604077.msg10021999#msg10021999 date=1448168173]
#FatLivesMatter
[/quote]

I ain't fat, I'm big boned. 

LZH

Too conservative? We threw the ball about a thousand times tonight. I realize it's because we could not run the ball, but BB and Enos turned Brandon Allen loose..... I would hardly call that conservative.