Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Our coach is too conservative

Started by Danny J, November 21, 2015, 09:50:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny J

Why settle for a FG attempt? Makes no sense...at all. Nothing about our FG kicking has made me feel confident in that situation.

passinghog

They [CENSORED] couldn't stop our passing game. I can't believe we put the game in the kickers hands

HiggiePiggy

Marching down the field like it was nothing then we decide to get conservative and run up the middle 3 times and rely on a kicker when you had a qb on fire. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Danny J

This loss is ALL on the staff.

Our D plays too soft...that is on Smith and CBB

We went for TD on 4th and 1...that is on CBB and Enos

We then run three times and settle for a FG attempt with a kicking game that is shaky at best after marching down the field passing and that is an ALL CBB decision.

This loss is on CBB...period.

apcapri

choicesthops

You guys are delusional. You always kick the FG there.

incHOGnito

Every coach in the world does the exact same thing in that situation. Making MSU burn their timeouts was the right call. Just needed to execute. The coaches put us in a position for an easy field goal to win and the players did not execute. It sucks but it is what it is.

WichitaStateRazorback

No way this is on BB...that is the call 99% of coaches would make.  If any coach is to blame it would be Robb Smith or Sam Pittman.  Our defense was awful and our o-line might have well stayed home.

DeltaBoy

Dang gum Brandon playing lights out and you run the ball   3 times .Damit Coach B. You own the team and fans an apology.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

razorJAcker

The worst part of this decision is even if we get a field goal, MSU only has to get in field goal position.  Pretty easy for them with 46 seconds left against our defense.  If we go for a TD, we potentially get more time off the clock AND force them to get a touchdown.

Pig Worshipper

Great comeback wasted by getting too conservative at the end.

Wow do we need to improve on defense.

Brandon Allen was great, wasn't he? Fantastic.

Oh, what a season this would have been had we fielded a decent defense.

Hey Super

I don't get it either. Your QB is throwing at will and has 400+ yards and 7 touchdowns for crying out loud!!! The run hasn't been there all night, we are in the redzone, it's not secret that our kicking game is suspect, WHAT THE HECK MAN??
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

westside_player

Just b/c you are marching down the field between the 20's doesn't guarantee a touchdown pass bc there becomes less and less field to protect for them. You play for the FG there b/c if you get an interception the game is over.  It's short, straight on. Should be able to get it high. You rarely see someone get beat inside like that on a block.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: choicesthops on November 21, 2015, 09:54:22 pm

If it's 4th down and your only option yes.   When it was 1st and 10 you try to at least throw the ball once.  Especially when your qb has already taken you 80 yards by passing it. 

hoghevn

All of you blaming Coach BB own up to the fact that you owe him credit for all those amazing wins!!
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

pigbacon

Quote from: incHOGnito on November 21, 2015, 09:55:05 pm
Every coach in the world does the exact same thing in that situation. Making MSU burn their timeouts was the right call. Just needed to execute. The coaches put us in a position for an easy field goal to win and the players did not execute. It sucks but it is what it is.

This is accurate.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 21, 2015, 09:58:08 pm
If it's 4th down and your only option yes.   When it was 1st and 10 you try to at least throw the ball once.  Especially when your qb has already taken you 80 yards by passing it. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

TexomaRazorback

Quote from: JBoroHog on November 21, 2015, 09:58:16 pm
I think the word is STUPID. Bielema needs to go
B.S. with all the injuries and still beating last years record.  KMA

WichitaStateRazorback

you obviously have a very low football iq

BPsTheMan

there's at least 7,000 pounds of stupidity in this thread so far

choicesthops

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 21, 2015, 09:58:08 pm

In hindsight your logic seems sound,  but I guarantee you when and if we tried to go for more yards instead of being conservative and failed, you would be spouting the opposite.

Jek Tono Porkins

I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

hoghevn

"I think the word is STUPID. Bielema needs to go"

This is the most idiotic/offensive post I've read on Hogville. - You are a complete moron.
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hoghevn on November 21, 2015, 09:58:37 pm
All of you blaming Coach BB own up to the fact that you owe him credit for all those amazing wins!!

Agreed, and he received much credit for those wins.  Now he gets some criticism.  Regardless, our D was the biggest problem tonight.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Ugly Uncle

Every coach in a America would have done the exact same thing.  It wasn't too conservative, it was the right thing to do.  Try to run the clock out, make them use all of their time outs, kick the easy FG to win.  Just didn't work out.

If we pass there and don't score and make the field goal but give them them ball with plenty of time to score we (including me) would have been screaming about not running the clock out with the biggest OLine in the game.

BB made the right calls, just got the FG blocked.
Retired Radio Host

Danny J

Yes...except when you have a FG kicker who is shaky and a kicking game that has now had 3 blocks in the last 4 games. Why the hell wouldn't you try to score instead of running 3 straight times? You just went 80 yards in less than 2 minutes without one dropped pass or incompletion. Why not go for the TD and 2 point conversion? Even if he made the FG they get the ball back with 50 seconds. What then? Pray our DB's can stop them? What game were you watching?

rtr

No, you don't always kick at that point.  Even if kick is good Mississippi State has enough time to score.  Needed and First down and a Touchdown.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

orvillesghost

Most coaches would go for the FG there and make MSU burn timeouts, agreed..but our kicking has been so shaky

I could live with it a little better if we would at least taken one shot at the end zone on first down

Bubba's Bruisers

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on November 21, 2015, 10:00:09 pm
there's at least 7,000 pounds of stupidity in this thread so far

I'm here.  Up that total.

I'm calling Ponderin and X as well.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Porkette

I didn't feel good about the decision to go conservative and kick the whole time we were setting up for it, because that has not been our strength at all and would still leave MSU too much opportunity to come back even if we had hit it. Most coaches would have made the same decision, but it was strange after we were so aggressive at Ole Miss. This one's a hearbreaker  :(
GO HOGS GO!

Danny J

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on November 21, 2015, 10:00:57 pm
Every coach in a America would have done the exact same thing.  It wasn't too conservative, it was the right thing to do.  Try to run the clock out, make them use all of their time outs, kick the easy FG to win.  Just didn't work out.

If we pass there and don't score and make the field goal but give them them ball with plenty of time to score we (including me) would have been screaming about not running the clock out with the biggest OLine in the game.

See my above post.....kicking the fg on 4th was the right decision. IT was the 3 straight run plays up the gut that was dumb. Exactly what about our FG unit inspires you? Any coach in their right mind would have went for the TD when we had a first down inside their 15 yard line knowing our kicking units history.

razorJAcker

Quote from: Danny J on November 21, 2015, 10:01:22 pm
Yes...except when you have a FG kicker who is shaky and a kicking game that has now had 3 blocks in the last 4 games. Why the hell wouldn't you try to score instead of running 3 straight times? You just went 80 yards in less than 2 minutes without one dropped pass or incompletion. Why not go for the TD and 2 point conversion? Even if he made the FG they get the ball back with 50 seconds. What then? Pray our DB's can stop them? What game were you watching?

Amen, and with the field goal they would have only needed to get in field goal range anyway.  TD forces them to go length of the field.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on November 21, 2015, 10:00:57 pm

Except that it's not even close to an easy win.  Plenty of time for Prescott to get his team into FG range against our defense for an easy win. 

hhicNaychaBoi

true....law of averages...fg attempts are rarely blocked...all the right play calls were made on the last drive. Volzke just got beat. It wasn't Hedlund's fault

hogman78

You kick the field goal there when you find yourself in that situation. You don't put yourself in that situation purposefully when you have a red hot quarterback.

choicesthops

Quote from: Danny J on November 21, 2015, 10:01:22 pm

You say that NOW but I guarantee that you would have called for BB's head if he was aggressive and failed and asked why he was so stupid to not kick a FG.

incHOGnito

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 21, 2015, 10:03:39 pm
Except that it's not even close to an easy win.  Plenty of time for Prescott to get his team into FG range against our defense for an easy win. 

Their field goal kicker missed an extra point. I like the odds on what would have likely been a long pressure field goal in cold temps on the road.

WhiteHairedDevil

He shouldn't have been hired

Hamiltonhawg

If we would have kept passing we would've left too much time on the clock for them. We could not stop them

rtr

Quote from: hhicNaychaBoi on November 21, 2015, 10:04:08 pm
true....law of averages...fg attempts are rarely blocked...all the right play calls were made on the last drive. Volzke just got beat. It wasn't Hedlund's fault
But we have had trouble in this area.  Law of averages don't mean much.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: incHOGnito on November 21, 2015, 10:04:41 pm
Their field goal kicker missed an extra point. I like the odds on what would have likely been a long pressure field goal in cold temps on the road.

We played not to lose.  And our defense was horrific.

Granny fan

Quote from: Danny J on November 21, 2015, 09:50:41 pm
Why settle for a FG attempt? Makes no sense...at all. Nothing about our FG kicking has made me feel confident in that situation.

Big AMEN!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hamiltonhawg on November 21, 2015, 10:05:19 pm
If we would have kept passing we would've left too much time on the clock for them. We could not stop them

And they couldn't stop us either...until we stopped ourselves.

Again, we lost because of pathetic play on defense.

Albert Einswine

Would have preferred to keep the game in BA's hands, but I understand the decision. It's standard doctrine.

I'm not pissed, I'm bitterly disappointed.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

woo.pig

It was great coaching adjustments at the half that even put back in the game.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: choicesthops on November 21, 2015, 10:00:24 pm
In hindsight your logic seems sound,  but I guarantee you when and if we tried to go for more yards instead of being conservative and failed, you would be spouting the opposite.

No I wouldn't have been.  I was pissed earlier when we went for the 4th and 1.  You always try to take points during the game.   Then in the end when you have a hot hand going you don't take him out of the game by running the ball 3times in a row to rely on a guy that has a 66% in kicking. 

I just hate playing not to lose football.   Go for the damn kill.

PossumFan

Quote from: razorJAcker on November 21, 2015, 09:55:59 pm
The worst part of this decision is even if we get a field goal, MSU only has to get in field goal position.  Pretty easy for them with 46 seconds left against our defense.  If we go for a TD, we potentially get more time off the clock AND force them to get a touchdown.

Exactly!

hogman78

Quote from: choicesthops on November 21, 2015, 10:00:24 pm

You can shove your guarantee in your ass! I haven't said anything negative about this team or coaching staff. The decision to play for a field goal with a red hot quarterback was stupid. Not even borderline stupid, just plain ol stupid.