Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One and done rule change ideal.

Started by Cinco de Hogo, May 30, 2017, 05:21:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cinco de Hogo

Option A, leave well enough alone.

Option B, expand to 15 scholarships but if you recruit and lose a one and done you lose that scholarship for three years.

Option C, leave scholarships at 13 but lose two years if a player leaves after one year.

This doesn't hender the players from exercising their right to free market, but it penalizes a team for stocking up on one and done players like Kentucky does.  It would force them to be distributed amongst more teams because no one team would want to have more than one or two at most because they would lose two many years of scholarships.

What ya think?

Pork Twain

Do away with it and let kids enter the draft out of high school.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

The_Iceman

HOGINTENNESSEE

I don't think it can be fixed from the college side

Cinco de Hogo

I'm not talking about stopping or fixing the one and dined from the player side I'm just trying to distribute the players a little more.  That's about all the NCAA can do and it's not like they haven't done it before in basketball and football.

What I suggested is within the scope of what the NCAA can do.

TomasPistola

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 30, 2017, 06:55:11 am
High school or stay 2 years.

Make it 3 years and I think you're on the right path.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Pork Twain on May 30, 2017, 06:40:43 am

This is the answer. The whole one and done debacle was a needless remedy in search of a non-existent problem.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

k.c.hawg

If you give teams 15 scholarships you are going to greatly enhance college basketballs second biggest problem.......transfers.

More than 700 players on Division I rosters swapped schools last season, many taking advantage of fifth-year transfer rules that allow them to play immediately. The number could swell to more than 800 by the time this season begins next week. And that has coaches and administrators at every level concerned about the long-term effect on the health and popularity of the sport.

I can't even begin to imagine what would happen if you had 3 more unhappy players on every bench.

Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

hogsanity

IF the one and done was created by the ncaa I would say the ncaa should fix it, but it is a rule from the NBAPA in the collective bargaining agreement. Why should the NCAA get involved? As far as the NCAA is concerned scholarships are a year to year agreement between player and school already. And why punish the schools because players decide to leave early?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pork Twain

Quote from: Albert Einswine on May 30, 2017, 08:12:58 am

This is the answer. The whole one and done debacle was a needless remedy in search of a non-existent problem.
No other graduating high school student is held to a standard similar to this.  With the NFL, it makes sense, because of development and safety. 
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

PonderinHog

Maybe they need to look at how the APR is calculated.

Hawg Red

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 30, 2017, 08:49:08 am
Maybe they need to look at how the APR is calculated.

Right on, seems grossly unfair for a school to lose 4-5 players every year who don't even complete one year of college without a plenty while others get penalized for losing one that has completed 2-3 years.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on May 30, 2017, 07:54:29 am
I'm not talking about stopping or fixing the one and dined from the player side I'm just trying to distribute the players a little more.  That's about all the NCAA can do and it's not like they haven't done it before in basketball and football.

What I suggested is within the scope of what the NCAA can do.

Recruit better
SEC!

Cinco de Hogo

Another thing, some of you obvisiouly don't understand that the NBA has control of who and under what circumstances a player can enter the draft.  Like any business they can set the benchmark wherever they want to.  Same with the NCAA.  The player should never have complete control of their destiny in either league.  Sure they have a bargaining position like any employee but it's always got to work out for the "business" first.

Otherwise...no business to bargain with!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: MountieDawg on May 30, 2017, 09:36:22 am
Recruit better

Sure and why don't we let Bama go back to signing 150 players while we're at it.  As I said the NCAA has a historical  precedents for attempting to level the field.

texas tush hog

Follow the baseball model, seems to work well there.

redleg

Get rid of the one and done. It's killing college basketball almost as much as the NBA early entries.

College basketball and the NBA should do what college baseball and the MLB does. If a high school player declares for the MLB draft and signs with an agent, their college career is over. If a high school players elects to go to college, they are not draft eligible for three years. That would put a stop to all of this one an done crap, and it would elevate college basketball to what it once was in the 1990's and before.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: texas tush hog on May 30, 2017, 09:53:44 am

Follow the baseball model, seems to work well there.
The problem is that MLB has a great system to put the high schoolers in while they work on their development. NBA has no such mechanism.  Their D league could become that, but it is inadequate as of now.

GuvHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on May 30, 2017, 08:46:01 am
No other graduating high school student is held to a standard similar to this.  With the NFL, it makes sense, because of development and safety. 

It also makes sense for the NBA. Many high school players are physically ready for the NBA when they graduate but very few are actually Mentally and emotionally mature enough to go straight to the NBA. As a result the current "One and Done" rule and the original draft right out of High School rule has not only watered down College basketball but has watered down the NBA some too. IMHO the NCAA needs to put pressure on the NBA to change their draft eligibility requirements to match the NFL draft eligibility requirements. this move would greatly strengthen college basketball and would strengthen the NBA because they would be drafting players who are Mentally and emotionally ready for the transition to the NBA.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Dominicanhog

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

The_Iceman

The NBA loves the one and done rule. They get to evaluate players at the college level instead of high school and AAU.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: GuvHog on May 30, 2017, 10:31:52 am
It also makes sense for the NBA. Many high school players are physically ready for the NBA when they graduate but very few are actually Mentally and emotionally mature enough to go straight to the NBA. As a result the current "One and Done" rule and the original draft right out of High School rule has not only watered down College basketball but has watered down the NBA some too. IMHO the NCAA needs to put pressure on the NBA to change their draft eligibility requirements to match the NFL draft eligibility requirements. this move would greatly strengthen college basketball and would strengthen the NBA because they would be drafting players who are Mentally and emotionally ready for the transition to the NBA.
If anyone says that one year in college can prep someone mentally and emotionally for the NBA then they are stupid.

Still gonna be bankrupt in ten years anyway

RazrRila99

My vote is, not listed above but has been mentioned:

Go to a similar system that baseball uses, you can go straight out of HS, but if you come to college you have to stay three years or til you are 21. 

The NBA-D might not be as useful as a Development league, but there is always the option of international ball. 

phadedhawg

Let kids go straight to the NBA and remove some of the uncertainty from college rosters.  I'd even be receptive to letting kids who signed with agents out of high school to come to college if they aren't drafted. 

hogsanity

how many of us would care if it were the Hogs that were getting one and done players?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

chiti66

Quote from: Pork Twain on May 30, 2017, 06:40:43 am

THIS^^^^^!

chiti66

Quote from: phadedhawg on May 30, 2017, 12:48:38 pm
Let kids go straight to the NBA and remove some of the uncertainty from college rosters.  I'd even be receptive to letting kids who signed with agents out of high school to come to college if they aren't drafted. 
And either lose a year of eligibility and/or is allowed only one more opportunity to leave early without penalty.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: theFlyingHog on May 30, 2017, 11:44:43 am
If anyone says that one year in college can prep someone mentally and emotionally for the NBA then they are stupid.

Still gonna be bankrupt in ten years anyway
he said the NFL rule which is 3 years out of high school.  Still might not be enough time for some to mature, but at least he is saying 3 instead of 1.

RazorPiggie

Letsroll1200

Leave it alone. I like the one and done because it allows the NBA to further evaluate the talent.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on May 30, 2017, 12:56:18 pm
how many of us would care if it were the Hogs that were getting one and done players?

I would

navyhog24

The NBA should follow the baseball motto of either enter after high school or wait 3 years. I know the NBA doesn't have the minor league setup of baseball. They have the D- League. Also, other kids can go try the overseas route if they think they can hack it over there. If they don't wanna take the overseas route, they stay in school for 3 years at minimum.

Dwight_K_Shrute

This is what I'm thinking.  The baseball rule of 3 would be a bit much for basketball but I think 2 and through would be much better than 1 and done.

Funny thing for baseball the kids don't even have to declare, they are just eligible out of HS and then 3rd year.  What if BBall was the same way?  I think it would be easier if BBall draft wasn't so long after the season.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

sickboy

Quote from: k.c.hawg on May 30, 2017, 08:30:46 am
If you give teams 15 scholarships you are going to greatly enhance college basketballs second biggest problem.......transfers.

More than 700 players on Division I rosters swapped schools last season, many taking advantage of fifth-year transfer rules that allow them to play immediately. The number could swell to more than 800 by the time this season begins next week. And that has coaches and administrators at every level concerned about the long-term effect on the health and popularity of the sport.

I can't even begin to imagine what would happen if you had 3 more unhappy players on every bench.

Life would go on.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on May 30, 2017, 03:28:42 pm
Leave it alone. I like the one and done because it allows the NBA to further evaluate the talent.

Wow Letsroll We agree on something 😉

k.c.hawg

Quote from: sickboy on May 30, 2017, 04:12:39 pm
Life would go on.

It will for you and I but when you consider there are 7-10 Jumpball posters that commit suicide each time the last man on the bench transfers, we would be losing 28-40 per season. I guess that could be viewed as good and bad.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: k.c.hawg on May 31, 2017, 04:40:57 am
It will for you and I but when you consider there are 7-10 Jumpball posters that commit suicide each time the last man on the bench transfers, we would be losing 28-40 per season. I guess that could be viewed as good and bad.

The problem is we have no juniors which means in 2019 we will have no seniors. I've never in my life not seen a senior day in Arkansas basketball. Maybe we get a grad transfer before the 2017-2018 season. 😉 Otherwise not having a senior day/night is kinda embarrassing for a school that's known for developing guys over 4 years. 🐖 🏀 :razorback:

passinghog

It's not changing. Furthermore, eliminating it and giving kids the option to go to the NBA straight out of high school would make the talent pool in NCAA even worse. It would literally be unwatchable because anyone that's a top 50 talent would enter the draft

ShadowHawg

Graduation rates should be factored into APR scores. Players that leave early should be given a period of time to complete their degrees and if they don't then the school's score should take a hit.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 30, 2017, 03:58:39 pm
Since when does the NCAA exist to serve the needs of the NBA?

Its the best system for basketball at this time. The one and done is not causing any problems for programs or players. No need to change what's not broken.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Captain Morgan on May 31, 2017, 09:52:33 am
The problem is we have no juniors which means in 2019 we will have no seniors. I've never in my life not seen a senior day in Arkansas basketball. Maybe we get a grad transfer before the 2017-2018 season. 😉 Otherwise not having a senior day/night is kinda embarrassing for a school that's known for developing guys over 4 years. 🐖 🏀 :razorback:

Embarrassing! That's a big reach don't you think?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Showtimehog on May 31, 2017, 10:19:38 am
It's not changing. Furthermore, eliminating it and giving kids the option to go to the NBA straight out of high school would make the talent pool in NCAA even worse. It would literally be unwatchable because anyone that's a top 50 talent would enter the draft

College basketball didn't miss Kobe, Garnett, or LeBron.

There are historical results to go on here, none of which back up the claim you have made.

mizzouman

Only way to fix the one and done is to allow them to go straight out of high school.  This will be Calipari's worse nightmare.

The_Iceman

Quote from: mizzouman on May 31, 2017, 10:50:55 am
Only way to fix the one and done is to allow them to go straight out of high school.  This will be Calipari's worse nightmare.

And Mizzou's this year.

J-Five

I have no issues with the current setup...I think schools just need to recruit better.  Kentucky is known for having new one-and-dones each year, but how many titles does Calipari have at UK, one?  One and Dones provide you with instant success, in most cases, but it doesn't guarantee you a national championship. 
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

hogsanity

Quote from: mizzouman on May 31, 2017, 10:50:55 am

why? If they can go straight out of HS, he will just get the best of the ones that do not go right to the draft.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on May 31, 2017, 12:34:26 pm
why? If they can go straight out of HS, he will just get the best of the ones that do not go right to the draft.

agree here.. if kids have to stay two or three years, that only make's the rich richer.. they'll still get the best but have them longer...