Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2 more weeks...

Started by Porkatarian, November 12, 2017, 01:11:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

31to6

Quote from: HoopS on November 13, 2017, 09:36:00 am
the facts are fine. It's the assumptions most could do without.

But let's be clear.

He almost won a national title, did win one as an assistant, is now in position to get back to the SECCG — all while SECW has been loaded, and with Georgia as their permanent east rival, and playing Clemson OOC. Of course it's gonna be hard to average as many wins as you all demand of him. Still gonna average about 9 wins a season.

I really believe if he had no ties or history with Arkansas, and had all of the accolades he has earned, most of the naysayers would be turning backflips to get him.

I also get it. You're tired of hearing about him. I either want us to hire him or move on completely from him this time. Either do it or don't and I'll support it either way. But I'm sorry, I wouldn't NOT hire him because some folks don't like him. There will be a segment who doesn't like whoever we hire for their own reasons. We need to hire who we want to hire and let the results determine the rest.
If he is hired I will fully support him. I fully supported every coach the Razorbacks have had. I will stand in the stands and cheer for the team long after many folks have walked out of the stadium to beat the traffic.

But I see his record and it makes me wary that he will produce at Arkansas. Auburn just has a lot more talent available than we do. His success in '06 as OC was with the most talented offense we have fielded--if not in program history.

It seems like he has major challenges recruiting and developing his own quarterbacks. And when he does not have a QB someone else built his offense grinds to a halt, and with it his team.

So I see a guy who is a good coach, but not great. If he were a great coach, Auburn's talent is definitely enough to be the clear #2 team in the SEC-W, with the Iron Bowl deciding who goes to Atlanta. But that is *not* what we have seen.

So what happens when he tries to coach top-25 talent in the same division?

If he comes here I really hope he wins and wins a lot. But if he does not then we will have a fight on our hands in a few years that will make the Nutt saga look like a walk in the park.

Drop the Mike

Quote from: LuckyGiraffe on November 13, 2017, 07:59:13 am
I would wager that these are three of the hires this offseason. The scariest being Campbell to Tenn. I think he is the perfect hire for them and will turn that program into a juggernaut. (I hate Tennessee, but I think they finally get it right)

Mullen to Florida
Campbell to Tennessee
Norvell to Arkansas

Tenner just paid 8 mil to Butch and would need another 10 to buyout Campbell and his assts. 18 mil before you even talk about the new coaches salary will be too steep for them I think

HoopS

Bears repeating

When he went to Auburn, our record with them was even. Now they're up 4 games.

You will say it is Bielema's fault and that's partially true. And it's a credit to Gus.

But what about all the other meetings prior to those two and the series being even?

That doesn't point to one team always being far more talented. We have so many here who act like we can't get talent. That is just false. Some act like we are a D3 program. We are littered with 4 stars right now even. We can get talent. And with the right hire we can deeper into Texas as well.

Too many of y'all bow down to Auburn. I never have and never will because until recently, they haven't been better than us.

bphi11ips

Quote from: 31to6 on November 13, 2017, 12:24:19 pm
His success in '06 as OC was with the most talented offense we have fielded--if not in program history.

Auburn's talent is definitely enough to be the clear #2 team in the SEC-W, with the Iron Bowl deciding who goes to Atlanta.

The 2006 offense was an entirely different use of the talent on hand than in 2005.  The Wildcat spread throughout football and remains.  Using DMac and Jones in the same formation with Jones in motion was all Malzahn.

Your statement about Auburn's talent level being clearly number 2 makes no sense whatsoever if you put any credence in recruiting rankings.  LSU is number 2 slightly since 2010 and Auburn is slightly ahead of A&M. There is no clear distinction between those three. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

31to6

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 13, 2017, 01:30:35 pm
Your statement about Auburn's talent level being clearly number 2 makes no sense whatsoever if you put any credence in recruiting rankings.  LSU is number 2 slightly since 2010 and Auburn is slightly ahead of A&M. There is no clear distinction between those three. 

It makes perfect sense if Gus is the GOAT, as you essentially said:
Quote from: bphi11ips on November 12, 2017, 07:51:51 pm
Here's what I know - Gus Malzahn is one of the best football coaches I've ever seen. 

Was Les with More Miles the best you have ever seen?
Is Sumlin?

So clearly Auburn with one of the best football coaches you have ever seen should be able to make up for a slight recruiting deficiency vs LSU coached first by Miles and now Yaw Yaw.

As I said in the post you selectively quoted, Gus is a good coach. I am just not ready to coronate him. Because I don't see 8-5 seasons with top-10 talent as success.

ZERO

Quote from: sickboy on November 12, 2017, 01:16:40 pm
Honestly, he'd probably guarantee he'll be an SEC coach for far longer if he came to Arkansas. He could have a bad year next year at Auburn and they'd fire him.

Gus still isn't that far from losing his job. He could very well lose to Alabama and lose his Bowl game (he's 1-3 in Bowls at Auburn) and end 9-4. Auburn could still pull the trigger.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

The Hawg Marshal

I have a question. If Gus takes himself off of the table, does the Springdale influence still exist for getting rid of Brett?

Hawginj

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 13, 2017, 03:22:50 pm
I have a question. If Gus takes himself off of the table, does the Springdale influence still exist for getting rid of Brett?
don't need it anymore

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: oldhawg on November 13, 2017, 12:02:33 pm
On the other hand, Auburn's record was 3-9 the year before Malzahn took over as head coach.  I would say that taking a 3-9 team to the National Championship Game in one year is quite an accomplishment.  Could be that defenses somewhat caught up to his offensive philosophy after that.  But he appears to be making adjustments that have made Auburn very competitive again.

He isn't.  He's running the same offense he has always ran.  He's going to win 9 games this year maybe 10 with a bowl if he wins that.  That is very good.  It isn't world changing but it is very good. he wouldn't be able to do that well at Arkansas unless he made some significant changes to his current philsophy. 

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 12, 2017, 07:51:51 pm
Gus Malzahn is one of the best football coaches I've ever seen.  He proved it at Arkansas.  Then he proved it at Tulsa.  Then he proved it at Auburn.  Then he proved it at Arkansas State.  Then proved it at Auburn again. 

I respect the fact that you really like Malzahn as a coach and clearly aren't afraid to say so, but In my opinion he was a coach running a system that was so old it was new again and he had tweaked it and it was something that people hadn't seen in a long time and it caught everybody off guard, it was innovative at the time, but again in my opinion he has reached the ceiling that he is going to reach, either at auburn or elsewhere.  I could be wrong but that is what it seems like to me just looking at current trends.

bphi11ips

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 13, 2017, 03:45:28 pm
I respect the fact that you really like Malzahn as a coach and clearly aren't afraid to say so, but In my opinion he was a coach running a system that was so old it was new again and he had tweaked it and it was something that people hadn't seen in a long time and it caught everybody off guard, it was innovative at the time, but again in my opinion he has reached the ceiling that he is going to reach, either at auburn or elsewhere.  I could be wrong but that is what it seems like to me just looking at current trends.

There is a lot of misinformation about Malzahn. Check his Tulsa offenses. He doesn't have a "system".  He has philosophies like all coaches but he builds to suit his players.

I don't really like Malzahn. I think he is a really good football coach, though.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 12, 2017, 10:21:24 pm
Jeff Long ain't making the next hire.

Wrap your head around this....if Gus WANTS this job, it is his....

That is where we stand.

PRJ

....WHY would Gus want this job?? Auburn is a better job than Arkansas, yet Arkansas fans prove to be just as fickle and "win yesterday" as Auburn fans are. He would be on the hot seat every other game here just like he would at Auburn, yet at Auburn he can probably make more money and get better recruits. It just doesn't make any sense

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on November 13, 2017, 11:37:14 pm
....WHY would Gus want this job?? Auburn is a better job than Arkansas, yet Arkansas fans prove to be just as fickle and "win yesterday" as Auburn fans are. He would be on the hot seat every other game here just like he would at Auburn, yet at Auburn he can probably make more money and get better recruits. It just doesn't make any sense

If you sit and think about it, it makes plenty of sense.

Auburn wanted to fire him last week.
He loses a bunch off this team this year. Has a bad year next year and they fire him next year.
Arkansas is home.
Arkansas may have an opening.
Family, church, ego, home, hero,

Makes sense.

PRJ