Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2 more weeks...

Started by Porkatarian, November 12, 2017, 01:11:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarheelhawg

I'm hearing Gus with Norvell as a fallback plan. I would be happy with either.  I am sick of losing like everyone else.  So I have no problem with either. Gus beaten Saban and is a proven winner in the SEC.  I think that good players will want to play for him.

rude1

Quote from: Al Boarland on November 12, 2017, 01:13:38 pm
Gus just punched his ticket to an extension at Auburn.
Gus loses the iron bowl and they will be right back on him, he isn't out of the woods, lose to Bama and they go to 9-3, there will still be grumblings about his job performance.

Dwight_K_Shrute

The Cross Church Mafia is real yo.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

bphi11ips

Quote from: RexMentor on November 12, 2017, 03:05:27 pm
There's the polarization I have talked about. I don't believe Jeff Long -- if he is in trouble with the BOT -- will make a choice that is that polarizing.

Ahhh...the "P" word. And Gus Malzahn.  Polarizing where?  In a few newborhoods and congregations spread around a handful of small towns strung together along an old state highway?

Get real. Gus Malzahn would unite the fanbase, not polarize it.  That's the way it would have always been.  Jeff Long just bought into the crap stirred up by a vocal minority upset because they didn't get their way.  In short, there is a lot of jealousy where Gus Malzahn is concerned.  Is he a nice guy? No.  He is Nick Saban in slightly different clothing.  Gus Malzahn eats, sleeps and breathes football.  He doesn't have time for pleasantries like the rest of us.  And, well, if a star running back gets caught with a little weed in the car, Malzahn might not be above going along with a story now and then.

I never thought Malzahn was a saint.  Never seen him act like one.  Don't know his wife.  Couldn't care less whether she's nuttier than squirrel poop.  Here's what I know - Gus Malzahn is one of the best football coaches I've ever seen.  He proved it at Arkansas.  Then he proved it at Tulsa.  Then he proved it at Auburn.  Then he proved it at Arkansas State.  Then proved it at Auburn again.  If anyone thinks Arkansas would have won 10 straight in 2006 without Malzahn (did someone above say ceiling?), they didn't pay much attention to '05 or '07.  If anyone thinks Chizik would have won a NC without Malzahn, they didn't watch much of Chizik without him.  Cam Newton was a freak, but Malzahn was the mad scientist who turned the freak into a NC.

Here's the deal - Gus Malzahn is not going to be the next coach at Arkansas.  That ship sailed in 2007 and again in 2012.  It ain't coming back.  I got flamed here enough for explaining in detail why Gus Malzahn was the right guy both times.  I've supported both head coaches since and will continue to support CBB as long as he is the coach.  But I don't mind saying again what I said in 2007 - Arkansas will regret not hiring Gus Malzahn. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

EastexHawg

I have always been against hiring Malzahn, but the more I have watched him over the years the more I realize what a smart and innovative coach he is.  We could do a lot worse.

menace_hawg3

He's just not coming here. It's really a moot point.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 12, 2017, 07:59:17 pm
I have always been against hiring Malzahn, but the more I have watched him over the years the more I realize what a smart and innovative coach he is.  We could do a lot worse.
His defenses have been really good, which is not something he used to care about.  He seems to understand his role and hire a good defensive staff.

I have more respect for him as a coach than I used to, but I'm still not sold he could repeat 2010/2011 type success here. 

ricepig

Quote from: menace_hawg3 on November 12, 2017, 08:17:16 pm
He's just not coming here. It's really a moot point.

It appears he's the new Gruden.......

RedRazorHog

The fan base unites when it's not losing.  When the team loses everyone opines and when actions don't meet expectations, those that opine become more and more vocal.  The fan base is clearly fatigued of this coaching administration and the product on the field.  If Gus or Norvell or anyone for that matter comes, and the team wins - the fan base becomes united because winning eases pain and dissatisfaction.
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

jgphillips3

Gus isn't my first choice but he isn't a bad choice either.  I'd still prefer to go Norvell, Morris or Campbell, but I would get behind Gus.

menace_hawg3

Quote from: ricepig on November 12, 2017, 08:18:31 pm
It appears he's the new Gruden.......

People on this board sure love jumping on some 🐂 s.h.i.t. Why not throw Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh in the mix.

Dmacattack

Quote from: LRrazorback on November 12, 2017, 07:19:32 pm
Why?  What has he done?  I see people complaining and not sure why

Ask Mike Irwin...

Can't believe some of you guys have all of the sudden done a 180 on GM.

hoginator

Hogs have an unfortunate history of the one that got away...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

31to6

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 12, 2017, 07:51:51 pm
Arkansas will regret not hiring Gus Malzahn. 
Gus just isn't a good enough coach to be worth the bother. His "fans" who gleefully switched out their Hog t-shirts for Auburn t-shirts are repugnant. If that is what is meant by "uniting the fanbase", I don't want them back.

He has had one good season as a head coach and otherwise been decidedly mediocre, with a ton of talent at his disposal that he will never be able to bring here.

A coach who turns in 8-5 seasons at Auburn is probably going to turn in 7-6 seasons here. And will be stuck with him. Forever. Because he has backing in the state that is unhinged in it's loyalty to *him*.

I don't mind seeing someone with Arkansas ties, but he's just an epic train wreck waiting to happen.

pigelow

Quote from: 31to6 on November 12, 2017, 08:30:43 pm
Gus just isn't a good enough coach to be worth the bother. His "fans" who gleefully switched out their Hog t-shirts for Auburn t-shirts are repugnant. If that is what is meant by "uniting the fanbase", I don't want them back.

He has had one good season as a head coach and otherwise been decidedly mediocre, with a ton of talent at his disposal that he will never be able to bring here.

A coach who turns in 8-5 seasons at Auburn is probably going to turn in 7-6 seasons here. And will be stuck with him. Forever. Because he has backing in the state that is unhinged in it's loyalty to *him*.

I don't mind seeing someone with Arkansas ties, but he's just an epic train wreck waiting to happen.

Hoggish1

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 12, 2017, 02:51:31 pm
What is clear is I believe, among many others, that Gus has already been offered the job. This is a dream job to him. People who want to go back home sometimes get up and leave pretty comfortable circumstances....

Because they want to go home.

PRJ

They may up and leave since ________.  Don't try and paint it as a comfortable place since we all know it is closer to a hell hole.

kp72204

I don't think it matters who we get. If said coach really succeeded he would jump to higher ranked school. If he fails, he'll get extra year here to turn it around, then he'll be replaced and the cycle continues. With that said I want super defensive oriented coach.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Silver Hog on November 12, 2017, 03:01:46 pm
I'm calling bullcrap on this unless you give specifics. Gus is exactly who I think he is, a proven winner who coached a heisman winner , neverwon a NC, went back to the NC game and almost won that one. He's beaten Saban too.

I get the gus love, though...

rtr

Quote from: kp72204 on November 12, 2017, 08:49:39 pm
I don't think it matters who we get. If said coach really succeeded he would jump to higher ranked school. If he fails, he'll get extra year here to turn it around, then he'll be replaced and the cycle continues. With that said I want super defensive oriented coach.
Name the coaches at Arkansas that jumped to another school?
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: RexMentor on November 12, 2017, 02:13:52 pm
I think Tenners first target will be Petrino, Bobby -- not Paul

Nobody wants Bobby Petrino anymore except 1/3 of Louisville's fan base and 1/3 of ours, that's about it.

bphi11ips

Quote from: 31to6 on November 12, 2017, 08:30:43 pm

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!

hoginator

The Money Pit! Two weeks...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

Pork Ranger

Don't most SEC coaches have a clause in their contract stating they cannot go to another team within their division?

When is the last time a coach went directly to another school within their division?

PintailKiller

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on November 12, 2017, 09:22:06 pm
Don't most SEC coaches have a clause in their contract stating they cannot go to another team within their division?

When is the last time a coach went directly to another school within their division?

HDN to Ole Miss
Tuberville Ole Miss to Auburn
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

hoghearted

I'd rather have a fresh face, a hungry and innovative up and comer. But no matter who gets hired, I will be happy for the change.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Danimal

If Malzahn comes here it would just be to coach for however long it takes to get fired and then retire. I don't want a guy with that mindset. If he truly wants to coach for another at the national championship, I think he'll either stay put or try to go someplace outside the SEC.

Hawgphat

Gus would not be able to duplicate at Arkansas anywhere near the success level he's attained at Auburn simply because the premium blue chip talent doesn't gravitate to Arkansas like they do to Auburn.  With mediocre, leftover 2 star and 3 star talent to work with, Gus's record would be mediocre - at best -  at Arkansas.  We would gain zilch.

If Knute Rockne or Bear Bryant could return from the dead and take over the helm at Arkansas, we would STILL find ourselves mired in mediocrity.  We don't draw the upper echelon talent to develop.  We don't have it now, - - and we won't have it next year, - - or the year after that.

kp72204

Quote from: rtr on November 12, 2017, 08:53:07 pm
Name the coaches at Arkansas that jumped to another school?
Hatfield!! My point is I believe that we have become a school that people knowingly believe can't compete with the big dogs. Get a guy and he has a few upset wins and he'll bail for better situation. I would hope I'm wrong but I doubt I am.

Hawgphat

Quote from: kp72204 on November 12, 2017, 09:44:07 pm
Hatfield!! My point is I believe that we have become a school that people knowingly believe can't compete with the big dogs. Get a guy and he has a few upset wins and he'll bail for better situation. I would hope I'm wrong but I doubt I am.

IF we could get him, he would be a prime candidate, in my book.  I've always respected Hatfield.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hawgphat on November 12, 2017, 09:40:26 pm
Gus would not be able to duplicate at Arkansas anywhere near the success level he's attained at Auburn simply because the premium blue chip talent doesn't gravitate to Arkansas like they do to Auburn.  With mediocre, leftover 2 star and 3 star talent to work with, Gus's record would be mediocre - at best -  at Arkansas.  We would gain zilch.

If Knute Rockne or Bear Bryant could return from the dead and take over the helm at Arkansas, we would STILL find ourselves mired in mediocrity.  We don't draw the upper echelon talent to develop.  We don't have it now, - - and we won't have it next year, - - or the year after that.

Nonsense.  There was nothing mediocre about 1998 or 2006 or 2010 or 2011.  Arkansas is going to struggle to win 10 games or more during the regular season as long as it is in the SEC.  But it will win that many occassionally and should be a top 25 quality program most years.  Auburn is smack dab in the middle of the best recruiting territory in the country, but it also plays in the SEC West and Georgia is its permanent rival.  Auburn has played Clemson 5 times since 2011.  They lost 5 games last year.  The average ranking of the teams that beat them was 7. Arkansas has the same problem.  So what?

Hawgphat

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 12, 2017, 09:55:09 pm
Nonsense.  There was nothing mediocre about 1998 or 2006 or 2010 or 2011.  Arkansas is going to struggle to win 10 games or more during the regular season as long as it is in the SEC.  But it will win that many occassionally and should be a top 25 quality program most years.  Auburn is smack dab in the middle of the best recruiting territory in the country, but it also plays in the SEC West and Georgia is its permanent rival.  Auburn has played Clemson 5 times since 2011.  They lost 5 games last year.  The average ranking of the teams that beat them was 7. Arkansas has the same problem.  So what?

It is of significant note that you had to hearken back to 2011 to evoke a competitive year.  That's six years ago.

Your second sentence is the most telling of all, for me.  At this juncture, - and for the immediate future, - "10-win seasons" hopes are "pie-in-the-sky".  I wish that were not so; - - - but it is what it is.

I'm a loyal Razorbacks fan.  But I'm neither blind nor oblivious.  I don't believe that ANY HC whom Arkansas could afford to hire is going to be able to turn our football fortunes around over the course of the next three years, at the earliest.

CFB_Fanatic

Gus is 100% not coming to Arkansas. Way too much dirty laundry in his history here. Hiring him would not unite the fan base and there will be a portion of higher-ups  and fans that wont forget about how things went down back in 2005-2006.

When you make this hire as Jeff Long you have to pick someone that EVERYONE can rally around, and Gus isn't it.

He's like Petrino....its over and it just aint gonna happen again.

Styflin

Quote from: Hawgphat on November 12, 2017, 10:07:14 pm
It is of significant note that you had to hearken back to 2011 to evoke a competitive year.  That's six years ago.

Your second sentence is the most telling of all, for me.  At this juncture, - and for the immediate future, - "10-win seasons" hopes are "pie-in-the-sky".  I wish that were not so; - - - but it is what it is.

I'm a loyal Razorbacks fan.  But I'm neither blind nor oblivious.  I don't believe that ANY HC whom Arkansas could afford to hire is going to be able to turn our football fortunes around over the course of the next three years, at the earliest.

Tha
Quote from: Hawgphat on November 12, 2017, 09:40:26 pm

Thanks for all the optimism you bring to the board. It's really refreshing

Michael D Huff AIA

Gus beat Georgia last weekend. He isn't going anywhere.

bphi11ips

"Harken back"?  Is 6 years a long time to you?

You said competitive. If that's your standard I'll harken back to last year or the year before at the longest.

porkrindjimmy

I guarantee you that if the right hire is made, this team will win 8 next year....before the bowl.

PRJ

LZH

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 12, 2017, 03:12:57 pm
I predict that Jeff Long will have roughly the same level of input on our next football coach as I will.

Absolutely true.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on November 12, 2017, 10:08:55 pm
Gus is 100% not coming to Arkansas. Way too much dirty laundry in his history here. Hiring him would not unite the fan base and there will be a portion of higher-ups  and fans that wont forget about how things went down back in 2005-2006.

When you make this hire as Jeff Long you have to pick someone that EVERYONE can rally around, and Gus isn't it.

He's like Petrino....its over and it just aint gonna happen again.

Jeff Long ain't making the next hire.

Wrap your head around this....if Gus WANTS this job, it is his....

That is where we stand.

PRJ

Hawgphat

Quote from: Styflin on November 12, 2017, 10:11:16 pm
Tha
Thanks for all the optimism you bring to the board. It's really refreshing

I take it that I am allotted no points for realism.

I believe that I'm every bit the die-hard Razorback fan as any other on this board, - - but I no longer wear the rose-colored-glasses and drink the KoolAde.

"The Emperor has no clothes".

EastexHawg

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 12, 2017, 10:21:24 pm

That is where we stand.

PRJ

If that is the case it has to mean Long will be gone soon.  You don't pay an AD $1 million per year when you are afraid to let him do his job because he may finish off the destruction of the program that he already set in motion.

bphi11ips

That is where we stand.

PRJ

There's a country song in here somewhere.  "How Do You Like Me Now" fits, but it is just a terrible song. Someone needs to write this one - first verse the girl has a crush on the QB of the high school football team.  She was his best friend, but he asked someone else to the prom.  Second verse they went off to different schools and moved back home - he as a doctor and she as a lawyer.  He knew she loved him, but he asked someone else to marry him.  Third verse he winds up getting a bitterly contested divorce.  She is the judge.

What was that about revenge being best served cold? 

jkstock04

Shockingly I'm actually hearing this is a real possibility via 2nd hand non internet info. Supposedly Gus would love nothing more than to come back to Arkansas.

I still however call BS. I'm in the crowd that uses common sense and says this ship has sailed. Why would he leave Auburn unless fired? We are obviously a step down from the Auburn job. This rumor doesn't make a whole lot of logical sense.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hawgphat on November 12, 2017, 10:46:24 pm
I take it that I am allotted no points for realism.

I believe that I'm every bit the die-hard Razorback fan as any other on this board, - - but I no longer wear the rose-colored-glasses and drink the KoolAde.

"The Emperor has no clothes".

He's just running around in his underwear looking for the dressing room.  It's just down the hall on the right.

bphi11ips

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 12, 2017, 11:00:42 pm
Shockingly I'm actually hearing this is a real possibility via 2nd hand non internet info. Supposedly Gus would love nothing more than to come back to Arkansas.

I still however call BS. I'm in the crowd that uses common sense and says this ship has sailed. Why would he leave Auburn unless fired? We are obviously a step down from the Auburn job. This rumor doesn't make a whole lot of logical sense.

I will say this - Arkansas roots run deeper than most. 

WilsonHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 12, 2017, 11:04:58 pm
I will say this - Arkansas roots run deeper than most.

There is also this: Gus has been at Auburn for five years, living directly in the shadow of Nick Saban 24/7/365. He knows that the Tiger faithful are happy with him now, but he's just one loss to the Tide away from being on the hot seat again.

Sometimes the genius of making a career move lies just in knowing when it is time to move on.

bphi11ips

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 12, 2017, 11:19:25 pm
There is also this: Gus has been at Auburn for five years, living directly in the shadow of Nick Saban 24/7/365. He knows that the Tiger faithful are happy with him now, but he's just one loss to the Tide away from being on the hot seat again.

Sometimes the genius of making a career move lies just in knowing when it is time to move on.

Malzahn has been shrewd in his career moves thus far.  He turned down Vanderbilt because he knew there was a ceiling there he couldn't raise.  The Auburn gig was a nobrainer.  He also knows that he can run the table this year (which is not out of the question) and be out of a job by 2020.  Auburn is going to have 8-5 years because of their schedule.  Auburn fans want to fire the coach after a turnover (so do a lot of ours). 

I'd say Malzahn is a 10-1 long shot at best.  On the other hand, you never get what you don't ask for. 

RedRazorHog

I don't have an opinion one way or the other about Gus and the fan base.  What I can say though is that he has basically been a winner everywhere he's been.  3 high schools - he was a winner.  Arkansas - he was a winner (in fact a complete winner) until HDN took back the reigns (which resulted in losses), then at Tulsa, then at Auburn as O-Coordinator, then at Arkansas State, and now at Auburn.  Look at it this way - he took over at Auburn, and look where they are now - they're in the hunt.  Look where we are right now, we're also in the hunt....for a new coach, an identity, some modicum of satisfaction. 

Bottom line - if we had a chance to get a guy that plays the best players, puts the best system for the PLAYERS HE HAS, and wins - would be just fine with me.
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

rtr

Really since Arkansas joined the SEC, Auburn and Arkansas have been quite competitive with each other.  Auburn is a place you can win but even if you do you are still runner-up to Bear, Bama and Saban.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Scott7703

That is where we stand.

PRJ

You sir are right on.

People are underestimating the pull he is receiving from inside his family. It's real and it's a big deal.

The beauty of this is I really like mike Norvell so will be thrilled with either or even Chad Morris.

This is gonna be fun.

The real Hogules

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 12, 2017, 11:29:04 pm
Malzahn has been shrewd in his career moves thus far.  He turned down Vanderbilt because he knew there was a ceiling there he couldn't raise.  The Auburn gig was a nobrainer.  He also knows that he can run the table this year (which is not out of the question) and be out of a job by 2020.  Auburn is going to have 8-5 years because of their schedule.  Auburn fans want to fire the coach after a turnover (so do a lot of ours). 

I'd say Malzahn is a 10-1 long shot at best.  On the other hand, you never get what you don't ask for. 

The current Penn State head coach didn't seem to have any trouble "raising the ceiling" at Vandy.................
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!