Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2 more weeks...

Started by Porkatarian, November 12, 2017, 01:11:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porkatarian

Who's at the top of your coaching wish list?

I'm hearing Gus with Norvell as a fallback plan.

Personally I like Chad Morris and Matt Campbell.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

ricepig

Two weeks from tomorrow......

Al Boarland

Gus just punched his ticket to an extension at Auburn.

zane

Frankly- we could do a lot worse than any of the names mentioned.

RIP LSUfan

Sed76

Would prefer Norvell over Gus but if Malzahn got the job I'd support him. If we end up with Les Miles or Mike Leach I'll be heartbroken.

sickboy

Quote from: Al Boarland on November 12, 2017, 01:13:38 pm

Honestly, he'd probably guarantee he'll be an SEC coach for far longer if he came to Arkansas. He could have a bad year next year at Auburn and they'd fire him.

ipigsooie

Norvell. Gus is set at auburn.

jgphillips3

I'd rather have Norvell than Gus.  Campbell or Morris are good too.  Any of those four are so much better than what we have now I don't care which one.  However, I just have this feeling that maybe Norvell has "it."

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

No way Gus leaves Auburn for this mess...
I would be thrilled with ANY of the other three, but Norvell would be my first choice...
If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving is not for you...

Al Boarland

Quote from: sickboy on November 12, 2017, 01:16:40 pm
Honestly, he'd probably guarantee he'll be an SEC coach for far longer if he came to Arkansas. He could have a bad year next year at Auburn and they'd fire him.

I would agree, but if his aspirations are to contend for championships he would probably prefer to hold where he is at. Given his coaching history championships seem to be something he desires.

Calling All Hogs

Matt Campbell is by far and away my top choice.  Norvell would be worth a shot if Matt can't be gotten. Don't want Gus.

bville_hog

So say Gus wants to come here and all (big assumption), what if he beats bama?  Can't see anyway he leave Auburn while they are still in the playoff picture.

HogCzar1

Norvell. And he should not be considered a fall back plan.

Gus might be the top of someone's list, but he is also polarizing, and he would never have the backing of a portion of the fan base for several reasons.

Norvell appears to be the only candidate that actually wants the job, and could best unify the fan base and donors.

The real Hogules

I'd like to see a run made at Mullens, at Mississippi State.
He's already competing in the SEC-W and with facilities much worse than ours!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: Al Boarland on November 12, 2017, 01:21:55 pm
I would agree, but if his aspirations are to contend for championships he would probably prefer to hold where he is at. Given his coaching history championships seem to be something he desires.

I like Gus and would certainly support him if he were hired; just think he can better fulfill his aspirations at Auburn.  Recruiting opportunity is much better there, obviously.  Heard that word much lately.

swineology

Quote from: Porkatarian on November 12, 2017, 01:11:19 pm

Porkatarian out...

Dip darn

The Hawg Marshal

This is gonna be fun. Unless it's Gus, then I'll be in the pit of misery.

rhames

Wouldn't be surprised if it's out of the blue.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

TX HOG

Al Boarland

Quote from: The real Hogules on November 12, 2017, 01:28:18 pm
I'd like to see a run made at Mullens, at Mississippi State.
He's already competing in the SEC-W and with facilities much worse than ours!

This is the guy you have to go for.

rtr

One SEC Coach I've been impressed with is Barry Odom.  He took over a real mess at Mizzou but it looks like he turned it around in a season and 1/2.  MU graduate not going anywhere but I've been impressed with his fire and passion.  He also came from Memphis where he was DC under Fuente.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

porque

I don't want Gus, but I know someone close to him and they think he is at the top of the list. Personally, I would be shocked.  This person didn't say that he would take it.

idochog

Would you want to stay at Auburn if you knew they would fire u the first chance they got?

Gus could goto tenner or Florida too
I love Jesus!

BR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Morris

One thing that stands out to me on this.......  ALL of his Recruits were from Texas .  So the man can recruit Texas
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Pecos Hog

Does anyone here think there's a chance Bert might pull a Hooty and run off to another school before we officially give him the pink slip?   Not saying there's another school out there that would hire him, but maybe there is.

rhames

Quote from: BR on November 12, 2017, 01:46:07 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Morris

One thing that stands out to me on this.......  ALL of his Recruits were from Texas .  So the man can recruit Texas

I just see him A&M bound
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Bkhardicars

I think Gus is the safer hire, but Norvelle is exciting...I won't believe Gus until I see him put the Razorback hat on and call the hogs..

RockyMtnHog

Porkatarian out...

Pork,

Would Gus come back to us?  I have no idea if he would even be interested.  He would be leaving the gold filled mine.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

InHOGuration Ball

I'm for a new coach that will rebuild the program and make Arkansas respectable again.  I want a coach that will put Arkansas in the upper tier of the SEC.

I don't care what his name is, where he has coached, or if he has few flaws. 

Perfection is a perception.   Reality is making the most with what you have....     

BR

Quote from: rhames on November 12, 2017, 01:47:23 pm

I just see him A&M bound
I agree, but after reading up on him more...  Think he is going to be a good one..
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

MC_Hog

Matt Campbell & if they hire Gus I'm thru with the Razorback Football program. I'm the fan that's there for every home game. It doesn't  matter who we are playing or what the weather is like. I don't leave early & I even went to the Belk Bowl. If people think that I'll be back when they start winning again, your wrong.

Gus is not the guy everyone thinks he is or wants him to be & I'll just leave it at that.

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: Pecos Hog on November 12, 2017, 01:46:41 pm
Does anyone here think there's a chance Bert might pull a Hooty and run off to another school before we officially give him the pink slip?   Not saying there's another school out there that would hire him, but maybe there is.

I'll bet that he already has his agent looking for a better gig.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Atlhogfan1

Yawn to all choices mentioned.  Not going to poop on any of them too much and will give whomever is hired a chance.  Hope all of us do.  This isn't a political election.  Don't make it personal. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

All depends on what Gus wants. The more he wins the easier it is to sell AR fans. He may be done with the Auburn eat your own mentality. If Gus wants to have a good 10 year run and finish up at "home" he probably returns to Arkansas.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ricepig on November 12, 2017, 01:12:50 pm
Two weeks from tomorrow......

I asked last night, what if Gus in the SEC CG?  And to make it more odd and complicated Norvell is in the AAC CG?  We waiting a week and forcing them to address the opening? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

code red

Quote from: Al Boarland on November 12, 2017, 01:13:38 pm
No. Disagree.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

The NewEra

I'll support anyone they bring in just to unify, but my preferences would be:

Campbell
Norvell
Gus and only if he accepted the job while Auburn wanted him, thus proving this is his dream job as others have alluded to on this board.
Morris - I really don't know much about him other than a quick search on Wikipedia.

porkrindjimmy

Porkatarian out...

Hmmmm.

PRJ

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 12, 2017, 01:54:34 pm
All depends on what Gus wants. The more he wins the easier it is to sell AR fans. He may be done with the Auburn eat your own mentality. If Gus wants to have a good 10 year run and finish up at "home" he probably returns to Arkansas.

I hope the Hogs get Gus. Norvell is high risk.

ricepig

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 12, 2017, 01:55:51 pm
I asked last night, what if Gus in the SEC CG?  And to make it more odd and complicated Norvell is in the AAC CG?  We waiting a week and forcing them to address the opening? 

Nah, I speaking of the firing, we'll cut our ties then. You can't worry about the other stuff, you have to let your fan base know that change is on the way.

Al Boarland

jmark

if he wants to comeback, i want gus.
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ricepig on November 12, 2017, 02:01:38 pm
Nah, I speaking of the firing, we'll cut our ties then. You can't worry about the other stuff, you have to let your fan base know that change is on the way.

I agree on the cutting of ties.  Which makes the opening official and hanging out there for other candidates to be asked about.  I'm talking about the situations Gus and Mike would be in with their players, fan bases and PTB when trying to prepare for CGs.  We would have to wait on either to finish up before hiring.

RexMentor

Gus isn't coming to Arkansas. He punched his ticket for another year last night against Georgia. If they play that well in the Iron Bowl, they'll beat Alabama, especially with the linebacker situation they are dealing with. Also, I think Gus would be instant polarization of a large part of the fan base. Personally, I'd go after Norvell.

Al Boarland

Quote from: The NewEra on November 12, 2017, 01:57:47 pm
I'll support anyone they bring in just to unify, but my preferences would be:

Campbell
Norvell
Gus and only if he accepted the job while Auburn wanted him, thus proving this is his dream job as others have alluded to on this board.
Morris - I really don't know much about him other than a quick search on Wikipedia.

If he came it would be because he wouldn't be under pressure to win championships. Do you want a coach with that mentality?

woo.pig

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 12, 2017, 01:58:42 pm
Hmmmm.

PRJ

Seems like Ive already heard that from somebody already...

Al Boarland

Quote from: RexMentor on November 12, 2017, 02:04:40 pm
Gus isn't coming to Arkansas. He punched his ticket for another year last night against Georgia. If they play that well in the Iron Bowl, they'll beat Alabama, especially with the linebacker situation they are dealing with. Also, I think Gus would be instant polarization of a large part of the fan base. Personally, I'd go after Norvell.

Back the money truck up to Mullen's front door. He's proved he can do more with less in the SEC. He's done everything everyone wanted CBB to do at MS St.

RexMentor

Wait. What do my wondering eyes see? Is that my old buddy PRJ on here????

RexMentor

Quote from: Al Boarland on November 12, 2017, 02:07:47 pm
Back the money truck up to Mullen's front door. He's proved he can do more with less in the SEC. He's done everything everyone wanted CBB to do at MS St.

I'd be good with Mullen. But I think he's going to Tenner or Fla.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 12, 2017, 02:01:34 pm
I hope the Hogs get Gus. Norvell is high risk.

As Bret has shown, everyone is high risk.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.