Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

News on recruiting the all-important SEC defensive linemen

Started by jbcarol, May 08, 2012, 12:06:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Riley Blevins @Riley_Blevins  ·  Nov 27
Column: Egg Bowl outcome won't have a huge impact on 2015 recruits.

2016 is another story. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/recruitingreport/2014/11/26/blevins-egg-bowl-matters-recruiting/19537613/ ...

QuoteState's class is essentially complete. It holsters 30 29 commitments, with only a few targets left.

The same goes for Ole Miss.

The Rebels are working with limited scholarships. Roughly three players can be added to its current 15-player haul.

And Ole Miss' remaining targets are high-profile, out-of-state prospects who probably have no idea what the Egg Bowl trophy looks like — nor care.

Yes, Ole Miss and MSU are still battling for a handful of recruits — most notably Gabe Campbell and Martinas Rankin.

Neither will make a decision based on the game's outcome.

Campbell — a Dandy Dozen defensive end from Yazoo City — has taken a laid-back approach to his recruitment. A school's distance to a bass-filled pond likely matters more to him than which team wins the Golden Egg.

Rankin, like every other JUCO prospect, cares mostly about playing time.

2016 will be different...

Eleven Mississippi 2016 prospects were included in ESPN's Junior 300. The state has never had more than six players make the list in a given year since ESPN began the rankings in 2006.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Ben Garrett @SpiritBen  ·  Nov 26
#OleMiss is one of three schools four-star DL and former Penn State commit Adam McLean is focused on...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Chip Brown @ChipBrownHD  ·  6 hours ago
Great job by @Jason_Higdon of http://HornsDigest.com  on the story of 2015 JUCO DE Quincy Vasser committing to the #Texas #Longhorns.

Longtime UGA football recruit flips to Texas

QuoteA longtime UGA recruit flipped to Texas on Wednesday.

Quincy Vasser is a 3-star defensive end from Navarro junior college out of Texas. He had been committed to UGA since last April.

The 6-foot-4, 260-pounder announced his change of plans via Twitter...

jbcarol

Ben Roberts @NextCats  ·  4 hours ago
2015 defensive tackle DaVon Hamilton has committed to Kentucky.

Pickerington Central 3-star

jbcarol

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  Dec 5
2016 DE Charles Wiley (6-3, 220) of Stockbridge HS (Ga) is one of best players that @ZachKleinWSB has seen this season "Beast"

Georgia is in the lead with the Ole Miss, et al. in the mix.

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  20 hours ago

All eight D-linemen on Coaches All-SEC 1st & 2nd teams were defensive ends. Not one D-tackle. Ballot should be more specific.

jbcarol

Riley Blevins @Riley_Blevins  ·  12 hours ago

Copiah-Lincoln DT Demond Tucker committed to Iowa State yesterday

jbcarol

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  29 minutes ago

Nick Saban urges top UGA recruit to 'make a business decision' http://on-ajc.com/1x6jiXd

QuoteWhat was Nick Saban's main talking point during an in-home visit with one of UGA's top football recruits?

It was to think of a college choice as a "business decision."

Earlier this week, the Alabama coach made an in-home visit with Jonathan Ledbetter, the 4-star defensive tackle for Tucker High School. Ledbetter committed early to Alabama, but flipped to UGA after the Bulldogs signed his older brother to a scholarship last summer.

"The visit with Coach Saban went well — he is very nice man," said Ledbetter's mother, Teresa Belcher.

"I think he wanted to make sure that Jonathan understands that this is a business decision. He wanted to make sure that Jonathan has all the information he needs to make the best decision for him. So we appreciated Coach Saban coming by."

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: jbcarol on December 11, 2014, 12:25:07 pm
Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  29 minutes ago

Nick Saban urges top UGA recruit to 'make a business decision' http://on-ajc.com/1x6jiXd

Sounds like Saban swung and missed........... 8)

tigerinhogtown

"Terry Beckner Jr. ....was named the No. 1 overall recruit in the country by ESPN.com. He is a five-star recruit according to the 247 Sports Composite rankings, he has already visited Florida State, and he scheduled visits for Ohio State (January 23) and Missouri (January 30) this week. It is generally assumed that having a chance to make the last impression is a good thing, and Mizzou is in that boat for Beckner."

"Blue Springs twin tackles Khalil and Carlos Davis (No. 3 and 5, respectively) have been committed to Nebraska since March.

As soon as Bo Pelini was fired from Nebraska, however, the rumors began,.....the Davis twins are back in play. .......Regardless, recruiting analysts seem to now think that Mizzou is the safest bet here."

http://www.rockmnation.com/2014/12/10/7363363/missouri-football-recruiting-terry-beckner-davis-twins

jbcarol

Stillman Institute DT Jozie Milton has committed to TCU. He flipped from South Carolina.

Damon Sayles @DamonSayles  ·  10 hours ago
Those of you speculating, new #GoFrogs commit @JozieMilton, who decommitted from #Gamecocks, recruited to #TCU to play center, not D-tackle.

Jozie Milton #73 @JozieMilton  ·  10 hours ago
Excited to announce I have committed to the Big12 champions-Texas Christian University! 🐸🙏🏆#TCU #Big12

jbcarol

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  Dec 14

Vanderbilt is scouring Southeast for 2015 nose tackle so if you know one who already has some good offers & grades, reach out to them

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  4 hours ago

I hope 2015 recruits are paying attention. About to be a ton of college assistants changing jobs

jbcarol

Riley Blevins @Riley_Blevins  ·  23 hours ago
4-star DE Kyle Phillips MT @K72_Phillip: Applying to LSU, Ole Miss, and UT

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  7 hours ago
Massive defensive tackle Maurice Swain to sign with #Auburn, Mississippi State or Kentucky tomorrow http://ow.ly/FZO3C

jbcarol

Richard Davenport @ArRecruitingGuy  ·  59 minutes ago

Ledbetter inks with Hogs: Hutchinson Community College defensive end Jeremiah Ledbetter has signed his nationa... http://bit.ly/1Ap7QUo

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  2 hours ago

Elite JUCO defensive tackle Maurice Swain picks #Auburn, signs letter of intent http://ow.ly/G39Kp

jbcarol

Riley Blevins @Riley_Blevins  ·  5 hours ago

Breaking: EMCC 4-star DT DJ Jones plans to sign with Ole Miss today, per source. He was committed to Florida State

jbcarol

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  22 hours ago
Per @PowerMizzoucom Juco DE Marcell Frazier picks Mizzou. Portland native, committed to Idaho in HS, signed with UNLV, needed juco detour

College of Siskiyous (Weed, CA)

jbcarol

THEE MACK TRUCK @DaylonMack  ·  2 hours ago
My top two schools are LSU and TCU #NoOrder #GeauxTigers #GoFrogs

5-star DT Daylon Mack decommitted from A&M yesterday.

jbcarol

Coach Warren VPreps @DemetricDWarren  ·  Dec 20

Breaking: 2016 4 Star DL Briston Guidry (Rummel HS, LA) Decommits from #MississippiState @Last_King131 @VarsityPreps

jbcarol

Marc Weiszer @marcweiszer  ·  Dec 24
#UGA DL commitment Trent Thompson is USA Today All-USA defensive player of year. Verbal Terry Godwin 1st-team CB. http://bit.ly/1B5ocSe

Offensive Player of the Year: Kyler Murray

jbcarol

Riley Blevins @Riley_Blevins  ·  3 hours ago

Nation's No. 1 DE CeCe Jefferson told @bartonsimmons Ole Miss is his "top school."

jbcarol

ESPN SEC @ESPN_SEC  ·   20 minutes ago

UA player of the day: Byron Cowart http://es.pn/1y2bQwC

QuoteLAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- There were several standout performances on Day 1 of the Under Armour All-America practices, but none were more impressive than five-star defensive end Byron Cowart, ...

Cowart is considering Auburn, Florida and Florida State...

Video highlights at link

jbcarol

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  9 hours ago
Based on videos/reports I've seen from all-star practice, I would think Trent Thompson has excellent chance to reclaim No. 1 ranking in USA

jbcarol

Jim Kleinpeter @JimKleinpeter  ·  3 hours ago

Top 2016 defensive tackle Ed Alexander names #LSU his leader http://s.nola.com/KN8BLEN  via @nolanews

jbcarol

Sleeper Athletes ‏@SleeperAthletes 4 minutes ago

Great game so far by #SouthCarolina commit DE @ArdenKey! He's been bringing pressure to these QB's on just about every play #UAALLAMERICA

jbcarol

ESPN CollegeFootball ‏@ESPNCFB 15 minutes ago

Da'Ron Payne (#50 in #ESPN300, #8 DT) verbally commits to Alabama.

jbcarol

4-star Fairburn Langston Hughes DE D'Andre Walker gave a verbal to UGa.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  2 hours ago
#Vols Louisville & Missouri are showing lots of interest in 2016 DE Allen Cater from Mt. paran Christian

jbcarol

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  18 minutes ago
Georgia DE de-commits from South Carolina for a second time http://on-ajc.com/14l0mY8

While Arden Key talked to his HS coach tonight, 15 colleges buzzed in, including #LSU, Ole Miss & SC

jbcarol

SportsTalk @sportstalksc  ·  17 hours ago

#STRecruiting: Covington's coach says USC has always been involved with him http://sportstalksc.com/index.php/2015/01/06/strecruiting-usc-reportedly-decides-to-bring-in-former-signee-covington/ ...

QuoteUSC's plan to add more pass rushers to the 2015 recruiting class includes bringing in former Shrine Bowl DE Devante Covington (6-3 230) of Georgia Military JC.  Covington hasn't been talked about much in relation to the Gamecocks' 2015 class but his coach confirmed Tuesday that the Gamecocks still want him and his commitment remains firm.

"All my conversations have been they want him and he's on track to graduate in May and that's where he wants to be," said coach Bert Williams.

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello @bmarcello  ·  Jan 7

Re: Jonathan Taylor. I'm told Gus Malzahn stepped in, would not allow him to visit Auburn. Falls in line with this: http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/09/post_39.html ...

jbcarol

Sonny Shipp @Sonny247  ·  4 hours ago
New #LSU offers goes out to 2016 DT Briston Guidry (briston_96). He's a 4-star with @247Sports (FREE) http://ow.ly/H1zMG

jbcarol

RT @GentryEstes247 Mark Richt asked if he contacted by anyone at Alabama in regards to DL John Taylor and he says he was not

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  44 minutes ago

Ole Miss making Louisville commit Tim Bonner really think before National Signing Day http://ow.ly/HfdV1

QuoteHe's been committed to Louisville since July, but schools around the country are taking another look at the 6-foot-5, 225-pound prospect and pushing to get him to take a look at new options. Ole Miss and Missouri are two recent Southeastern Conference schools to enter the picture. Michigan defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin called Monday and said an offer could be coming soon.

"I've been thinking I should have waited awhile before I committed," Bonner said.

Ole Miss is pushing the hardest for the three-star prospect. The Ole Miss contingent -- head coach Hugh Freeze, running backs coach Derrick Nix and defensive line coach Chris Kiffin -- "text and call me every day," according to Bonner. One day when the Ole Miss coaches couldn't get a hold of Bonner, they called his high school coach at Demopolis to find out his whereabouts.

That resonated with Bonner.

"It shows me they really want me to be a part of their family," he said. "They said they need some more speed rushers."

He is expected to take an official visit to Oxford on Jan. 23.

First, he'll take an official visit to Louisville, which is trying its best to hold onto him. Defensive line coach L.D. Scott, his primary recruiter, has pitched Bonner on early playing time because the Cardinals are losing multiple speed rushers. Despite the other interest, he says his relationship with Louisville is very strong and he is 100 percent committed.

"I do want to play in the SEC," he said. "But I have to do what's best for me."

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: jbcarol on January 09, 2015, 10:27:16 pm
RT @GentryEstes247 Mark Richt asked if he contacted by anyone at Alabama in regards to DL John Taylor and he says he was not

Why should they.........?  8)

jbcarol

Derek Tyson @DerekTysonESPN  ·  1 hour ago

#Auburn's Will Muschamp and Florida's Terrell Williams are scheduled to visit CeCe Jefferson today. #Gators #WarEagle

Derek Tyson @DerekTysonESPN  ·  15 hours ago

... CeCe Jefferson gave me a quote on Ed Orgeron to LSU and Lance Thompson to Auburn...

Jefferson on Orgeron: "When I go on my official, I wanna pick his brain a little and catch up! Great hire for LSU tho!"

C. Jefferson: "It was a great hire! For me especially! Coach Thompson was my recruiter at #Bama & he recruited me pretty dang good."

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello @bmarcello  ·  1 hour ago

RT @cecejeferson7: Auburn ,Lsu,Alabama,Florida stopped by today..

jbcarol

Byron Cowart @ByronHawkStar99  ·  51 minutes ago
My top schools are great for journalism/ broadcasting UF,  AUBURN, FSU ,ALABAMA so when it comes down to it i will get my degree in 3years

jbcarol

Seth Emerson @SethEmerson  ·  1 hour ago

Georgia early enrollee Michael Barnett, a defensive end, will miss spring practice after shoulder surgery. Should be fine for preseason.

Another early enrollee, DE Natrez Patrick, had thumb surgery but should be able to participate this spring, the team says.

jbcarol

Jeff Sentell ‏@JeffSentell_  Jan 16
Wenonah junior DL Quinnen Williams commits to Auburn. @QuinnenD1 comes from an athletic family. http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/01/wenonah_class_of_2016_lineman.html ...

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger @DellengerAdv  ·  5 hours ago
5-star DE prospect. #LSU RT @cecejeferson7: In home visit with LSU, Coach Miles,and Coach Orgeron !

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: jbcarol on January 19, 2015, 05:56:04 pm
Ross Dellenger @DellengerAdv  ·  5 hours ago
5-star DE prospect. #LSU RT @cecejeferson7: In home visit with LSU, Coach Miles,and Coach Orgeron !

"Ya! Ya! Ya!" as Les tries to eat the shag carpeting.......... 8)

(Would love to see the video of THAT in-home visit!)

jbcarol

Ethan Bernal @EthanGBernal  ·  18 hours ago

Edgewood star DE Prince Tega just snapped his leg. It's bad.

He caught a long pass and was rolled on trying to score. He immediately started screaming, and his leg was dangling

Right leg. To me, looks like it's snapped at the shin.

John Talty @JTalty  ·  18 hours ago

Prince Tega might be the hottest football prospect in America. And it sounds like he's suffered a horrific injury tonight,

John Talty @JTalty  ·  4 hours ago

Ole Miss head coach Hugh Freeze at the hospital to see Prince Tega Wanogho as he undergoes surgery, per coach Bobby Carr.

Update on Prince Tega Wanogho Jr. who underwent surgery Wed. morning: http://ow.ly/HHyR6

QuotePrince Tega Wanogho Jr. underwent surgery Wednesday morning to repair a severe leg injury suffered during a basketball game.

Ole Miss head coach Hugh Freeze visited Wanogho Jr. at the hospital on Wednesday. Alabama head coach Nick Saban and defensive coordinator Kirby Smart are expected to meet with him on Thursday. Alabama has yet to offer him a scholarship, but has shown serious interest and wanted to bring him in for an official visit.

Every school that has offered Wanogho Jr. -- there are many -- has reached out in some way to say the scholarship offer still stands, according to Carr. Auburn, Texas, Florida and Georgia, among others, have all offered the four-star prospect.

Wanogho Jr. has been the most hotly-recruited football player in Alabama in recent months. He arrived in Alabama this summer from Nigeria in order to play basketball at Edgewood Academy. But he started playing football for the first time in August and quickly developed into a highly-desired player.

He recently reclassified to the class of 2015 and started going through the recruiting process. The majority of the SEC stopped at Edgewood Academy in recent days in order to visit with him. He took an official visit to LSU last weekend and he will weigh whether he'll take additional official visits in the coming weeks after his recent surgery.

jbcarol

ESPN SEC @ESPN_SEC  ·  26 minutes ago

Five-star Byron Cowart narrows choices to two schools http://es.pn/1CGBCEU

Quote"I would have to say, just to be honest, Auburn and Florida are my top two schools," Cowart said. "I have to keep it professional -- I have to. Who knows, you see coaches and they go into the league, and when it's time for you to get drafted you don't want to have a bad name..."

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: jbcarol on January 22, 2015, 02:31:43 pm
ESPN SEC @ESPN_SEC  ·  26 minutes ago

Five-star Byron Cowart narrows choices to two schools http://es.pn/1CGBCEU

I guess that means that Cowart is now a professional..........winds up at awbern.  8)

jbcarol

Mike Farrell @rivalsmike  ·  2 hours ago

I have #Auburn leading for Byron Cowart, CeCe Jefferson and Ryan Davis heading into the weekend. #WarEagle #WDE

jbcarol

Riley Blevins @Riley_Blevins  ·  17 hours ago
Nation's No. 7 prospect in Oxford RT @cecejeferson7: Finally here!

jbcarol

John Talty @JTalty  ·  22 minutes ago
Yikes RT@DerekTysonESPN: 5-star DE Byron Cowart has already left his Florida visit. His mom got called in to work back in Tampa. #Gators"