Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Becoming an airline pilot

Started by FaytownHog, May 06, 2013, 01:35:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FaytownHog

So, I will probably never have enough casual money to rent planes, own a plane, pay for fuel and all of that even if I could drop the money to get my regular pilots license. SO, my other thought is, if I can't pay for it, why not have someone pay ME to do it for them? Airline/commercial pilot. Thoughts?

Pros and Cons?

So far, biggest pro is flying on someone else's dime and getting paid for it.
Biggest cons I've seen is probably 60-80k in schooling and maybe 30k starting out? Ouch.

AnonymousHog

Quote from: FaytownHog on May 06, 2013, 01:35:20 pm
So, I will probably never have enough casual money to rent planes, own a plane, pay for fuel and all of that even if I could drop the money to get my regular pilots license. SO, my other thought is, if I can't pay for it, why not have someone pay ME to do it for them? Airline/commercial pilot. Thoughts?

Pros and Cons?

So far, biggest pro is flying on someone else's dime and getting paid for it.
Biggest cons I've seen is probably 60-80k in schooling and maybe 30k starting out? Ouch.

It is very expensive for your schooling or getting a license and buying a plane.  Not to mention you need to have so many flight hours before any airline will consider you.  So the route of renting to fly a plane or even buying your own comes to play as well if you plan to go to an airline.  If you decided to buy one to bump your hours up then you run into a road block of getting insurance because your hours are low.  Unless you can latch onto a person that owns a plane and have traveling needs that you can fly them for free for the flying hours with their own plane.  You also need to also consider some of these airlines have been on some drastic hiring freezes these past couple of years.  That is also something to consider. But if you do plan to do your schooling and going into the airlines the pay is a plus as well as getting to fly a plane.

FaytownHog

Quote from: AnonymousHog on May 06, 2013, 04:13:02 pm
It is very expensive for your schooling or getting a license and buying a plane.  Not to mention you need to have so many flight hours before any airline will consider you.  So the route of renting to fly a plane or even buying your own comes to play as well if you plan to go to an airline.  If you decided to buy one to bump your hours up then you run into a road block of getting insurance because your hours are low.  Unless you can latch onto a person that owns a plane and have traveling needs that you can fly them for free for the flying hours with their own plane.  You also need to also consider some of these airlines have been on some drastic hiring freezes these past couple of years.  That is also something to consider. But if you do plan to do your schooling and going into the airlines the pay is a plus as well as getting to fly a plane.
I've talked to some flight schools who guarantee a instructor job once you complete your training (under a year) and then you get your flight hours in while training and start talking to airlines and get a conditional offer. Basically they say you're hired. Call us when you hit 1500 hours (usually around 2 years between school and instructing).
But the downside is, even when you start out with regional jets, you're only making 30k and owe 60-80k in school debt. I know in 10-20 years it'd be worth it, but that's scary starting out!

But no, I could in no way buy a plane. I might not have been as clear as I wanted in my original post. I'm just a joe nobody with a love of flying. Broker than a joke.

gotyacovered

Quote from: FaytownHog on May 06, 2013, 04:49:20 pm
I've talked to some flight schools who guarantee a instructor job once you complete your training (under a year) and then you get your flight hours in while training and start talking to airlines and get a conditional offer. Basically they say you're hired. Call us when you hit 1500 hours (usually around 2 years between school and instructing).
But the downside is, even when you start out with regional jets, you're only making 30k and owe 60-80k in school debt. I know in 10-20 years it'd be worth it, but that's scary starting out!

But no, I could in no way buy a plane. I might not have been as clear as I wanted in my original post. I'm just a joe nobody with a love of flying. Broker than a joke.

$30k.... if your lucky. aviation is one of those deals that you have to pay your dues. there are a few out there that i know who were unqualified but got the job bc of who they know. one of them... is flying a king air, gets a copilot gig... owner liked him, offer him a job and sent him to simcom and got him type rated in their citation and gulfstream. lucky. he said the simcom bill was just under $18k.

if its your dream, go for it...

how old are ya?

my son (10) wants to be a pilot... he will have several hundred hours (if he follows my advice) before he goes to college. and even then he will be going to a school with a aero program. maybe by then i will upgrade and he can have my 182  ;D
You are what you tolerate.

FaytownHog

Quote from: gotyacovered on May 06, 2013, 06:55:24 pm
$30k.... if your lucky. aviation is one of those deals that you have to pay your dues. there are a few out there that i know who were unqualified but got the job bc of who they know. one of them... is flying a king air, gets a copilot gig... owner liked him, offer him a job and sent him to simcom and got him type rated in their citation and gulfstream. lucky. he said the simcom bill was just under $18k.

if its your dream, go for it...

how old are ya?

my son (10) wants to be a pilot... he will have several hundred hours (if he follows my advice) before he goes to college. and even then he will be going to a school with a aero program. maybe by then i will upgrade and he can have my 182  ;D
I'm about to be 27. I figure if I can get in now, get my school done and a couple years of instructing done to get my hours and be in a regional jet by the time I'm 30 that's not too bad of a deal. Maybe a big boy jet by 40. Who knows?

gotyacovered

Quote from: FaytownHog on May 06, 2013, 07:09:51 pm
I'm about to be 27. I figure if I can get in now, get my school done and a couple years of instructing done to get my hours and be in a regional jet by the time I'm 30 that's not too bad of a deal. Maybe a big boy jet by 40. Who knows?

there are a couple guys on here that can hook you up with some good info.

i took a different approach. i am an insurance agent... about a year ago i opened up an aviation division within our current agency and attacked it from that angle. i get to fly instead of drive and get to meet lots of cool people and see sweet planes.

i worked are to get to the place i could fly... paid off two vehicles, cut spending in other areas. the actual cost of ownership (with a partner) isnt much more than what other people spend on cars/boats/recreation. if your smart about it, you can make it work.

also... the sweet jobs flying for good people, you may only fly 300 hours per year--lots of down time.

anything is possible. if i were you i would spend every chance you get at an airport. nothing wrong with being a hangar rat.

Ragnar Hogbrok

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

fdx flyer

If you're passionate about it, I say go for it.  Do you have a 4 year degree?  That's gonna be a requirement for the big boy jets.  Is the military an option you'd consider?  (That's what I did).

If you start out on the CFI route, you're gonna be broke for a long time with no real guarantees of ever making it to the top.  There's a lot of luck and timing in airline careers (Does your company go broke?  Does hiring stop after you get on at some regional and you never get captain time, etc etc). If you love what you're doing and are persistent and patient, it can be very rewarding, but there are certainly risks and downsides.  Just trying to shoot you straight.

If you just think flying is "cool" or wanna get paid nicely to fly somebody else's plane, you're probably in for a disappointment if you start out for a career.  Do what Gotya said.  Make your money in another career field and fly as a hobby.  If you're thrifty, it's really not much more expensive than being an avid boater or hunter.  Then you get to fly when and where you want - a little different than flying for a living.

Good luck!

AnonymousHog

Quote from: fdx flyer on May 22, 2013, 04:07:26 pm
If you're passionate about it, I say go for it.  Do you have a 4 year degree?  That's gonna be a requirement for the big boy jets.  Is the military an option you'd consider?  (That's what I did).

If you start out on the CFI route, you're gonna be broke for a long time with no real guarantees of ever making it to the top.  There's a lot of luck and timing in airline careers (Does your company go broke?  Does hiring stop after you get on at some regional and you never get captain time, etc etc). If you love what you're doing and are persistent and patient, it can be very rewarding, but there are certainly risks and downsides.  Just trying to shoot you straight.

If you just think flying is "cool" or wanna get paid nicely to fly somebody else's plane, you're probably in for a disappointment if you start out for a career.  Do what Gotya said.  Make your money in another career field and fly as a hobby.  If you're thrifty, it's really not much more expensive than being an avid boater or hunter.  Then you get to fly when and where you want - a little different than flying for a living.

Good luck!

Also in the Commercial Airline industry as FDX pointed out there is a lot of luck and timing in getting to the top and making good money.  You also will have to be nice and kiss butt to people you've come to hate in order to move up. As well as captains with corn cobs up there butts who will treat you like crap.  Also it does contain a lot of who you know to move into companies or move up. 

Brownstreak

May 27, 2013, 07:25:11 pm #9 Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:54:11 am by Brownstreak
Quote from: AnonymousHog on May 23, 2013, 08:38:33 am
Also in the Commercial Airline industry as FDX pointed out there is a lot of luck and timing in getting to the top and making good money.  You also will have to be nice and kiss butt to people you've come to hate in order to move up. As well as captains with corn cobs up there butts who will treat you like crap.  Also it does contain a lot of who you know to move into companies or move up. 

Truth in both Anonymous' and Fdx Flyer's statements

FaytownHog

Quote from: AnonymousHog on May 23, 2013, 08:38:33 am
Pretty much describes all corporate jobs but I get your drift.

FaytownHog

Quote from: fdx flyer on May 22, 2013, 04:07:26 pm

Good luck!
I don't have a degree unfortunately. Why is it that they would take that into consideration instead of someone who's highly trained and has the flight hours and experience? Just curious.
Unfortunately (for this, not in general) I've already married and will be starting a family in the next couple years or so, so the military is a no go.

FaytownHog

I've been looking hard at this. Let me know what you all think. They have a lot of bases covered but of course I'm still just in the information gathering stage.
http://www.atpflightschool.com

Brownstreak

May 27, 2013, 07:58:58 pm #13 Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:49:03 am by Brownstreak
Quote from: FaytownHog on May 27, 2013, 07:48:05 pm
I don't have a degree unfortunately. Why is it that they would take that into consideration instead of someone who's highly trained and has the flight hours and experience? Just curious.
Unfortunately (for this, not in general) I've already married and will be starting a family in the next couple years or so, so the military is a no go.

It's just one of those boxes that you have to check off.  HR people will say that it shows you are trainable.  The odds of making "big" money (all subjective of course) is extremely slim without a degree.  You'll be stuck at the regionals without a degree, which might be fine for you.

I would be leery of pilot farms like Allatps, but it's been 20 years since I was looking at places like that so someone else with more recent experience should answer that question.

Good luck.  I agree with others though; get a good job and fly for fun on the side.

FaytownHog

Quote from: Brownstreak on May 27, 2013, 07:58:58 pm
It's just one of those boxes that you have to check off.  HR people will say that it shows you are trainable.  The odds of making "big" money (all subjective of course) is extremely slim without a degree.  You'll be stuck at the regionals without a degree, which might be fine for you.

I would be leery of pilot farms like Allatps, but it's been 20 years since I was looking at places like that so someone else with more recent experience should answer that question.

Good luck.  I agree with others though; get a good job and fly for fun on the side.
I don't foresee ever having a job that gives me enough expendable money to own part of a plane or rent and be able to fly. But I love it and I even love airports (as long as I'm not sleeping in them very often...lol), so I'm game with doing it for a job (not to mention the flight benefits for my family that I'd get). I could always get into a regional position and start going to school online if it was required to move up. I don't have to make crazy money. Just want to be able to provide an average life for my family and do something I love while doing it.

FaytownHog

I also do a lot of missions work so I love the idea of being able to help out with that when I could and again with the flight and cargo benefits that would come with that job I could help a lot of people. There's very few things I really love to do..., sports, missions work and flying. I'm never going to be a coach that makes money, missionaries don't make enough money to fly as a pilot....lol, but pilots could do both! So, that's kind of where I'm at. Thanks for everyone's input and insight!

FaytownHog

Quote from: Brownstreak on May 27, 2013, 07:58:58 pm

Why is that (to anyone who could answer)? They offer a guaranteed trainers job after school which will also get you your hours and in a multi engine airplane and an interview with the regional airlines. Seems like the best deal I've found when you're putting so much money on the line up front for the school.

Matt Mustain

Quote from: FaytownHog on May 28, 2013, 01:54:45 pm
Why is that (to anyone who could answer)? They offer a guaranteed trainers job after school which will also get you your hours and in a multi engine airplane and an interview with the regional airlines. Seems like the best deal I've found when you're putting so much money on the line up front for the school.

Because they're there to get you in and out as fast as possible and make money off of you. Some people love it, others not so much.

You could easily go from zero time to CFII for a hell of a lot less than the $65,000 that they're asking for. With the money you save you could afford an associates degree at a community college. That alone would be worth more than getting all your ratings at ATPFS. You'll be lucky to get a regional job without at least some college. There are plenty of more qualified pilots waiting in line that will have the same flight experience you have, but they'll have a college degree as well. I'm taking the college grad every time.

Brownstreak

Quote from: Matt Mustain on May 28, 2013, 02:45:31 pm
Because they're there to get you in and out as fast as possible and make money off of you. Some people love it, others not so much.

You could easily go from zero time to CFII for a hell of a lot less than the $65,000 that they're asking for. With the money you save you could afford an associates degree at a community college. That alone would be worth more than getting all your ratings at ATPFS. You'll be lucky to get a regional job without at least some college. There are plenty of more qualified pilots waiting in line that will have the same flight experience you have, but they'll have a college degree as well. I'm taking the college grad every time.

Excellent advice.

Brownstreak

Quote from: FaytownHog on May 28, 2013, 01:54:45 pm

Always read the fine print with anything in aviation that sounds easy or "guaranteed".

FaytownHog

Quote from: Matt Mustain on May 28, 2013, 02:45:31 pm

Thanks! It's tough to find financing most places outside of pilot farms with guaranteed jobs on the other end to pay that loan back. I know it's not perfect. I'm just trying to look at all the options.

FaytownHog

Quote from: Brownstreak on May 28, 2013, 03:03:42 pm
Always read the fine print with anything in aviation that sounds easy or "guaranteed".
Well, an interview isn't hard to guarantee and it's definitely not for sure that you'd get a job with a regional airline out of it but the instructor job being guaranteed seems like a decent perk at least and in dual engine aircraft at that.

Matt Mustain

Quote from: FaytownHog on May 28, 2013, 03:13:24 pm
Thanks! It's tough to find financing most places outside of pilot farms with guaranteed jobs on the other end to pay that loan back. I know it's not perfect. I'm just trying to look at all the options.

What do you currently do for a living? Why can't you pay for it as you go instead of taking out a $65k loan? If you're going to be paying a $700-800/month loan payment, why not use that same money to pay for flight training and not have that debt looming over your head when your barely making more than $20k-25k/yr?

gotyacovered

at a lot of these schools, aren't the guaranteed job a CFI spot at the school?

dad just hired a pilot and he didnt look at anyone with less than 4000 hours. found a 34-35 year old with just over 4k, and went with hi bc of his education else where. he is a very skilled pilot with many attractive attributes. the hew guy is in heaven--just came out of a corporate job.... his only complalint (to my dad) he is the youngest pilot under my dad by about 25 years!!!

its about the connections.

fdx flyer

Faytown - just to give you a little more info about the competitiveness for the good flying jobs, and why you need a college degree, good experience, etc.  At FedEx we hired a Space Shuttle Commander last year.  We have several past Blue Angel and Thunderbird pilots.  Obviously, not everybody is gonna have that kind of resume, but for the top jobs, you're competing with the best of the best.  You don't just need hours, you need to have leadership experience (line check airman, instructor, chief pilot, etc).  The other key (and just as important, if not more so) is to have good connections.  You've gotta network in the airline industry from day one.  Build relationships, stay in touch with people, follow every lead, etc.

Again, I'm not trying to discourage you.  I just want you to understand that you're not gonna finish a flying school and automatically just move up the ladder.  I've got a good friend who's 42 and I'm trying to get hired at FedEx.  He's got more flight time than me.  He's a regional captain.  On top of his regular duties, he's been a classroom instructor, simulator instructor, line check airman, and assistant chief pilot.   Been trying for an interview for the last two years.  I thought we were just about to get a call, and then FedEx shut down pilot hiring for at least the rest of the year.   Beyond the regionals, even with a great resume, it's all timing, luck, and connections.  That being said, if you're happy with a max income of around $100k, you can have a decent career staying at the regional level.  It's hard work though.  To see what life is like at some of the crappier regionals, do a google search for the PBS Frontline documentary "Flying Cheap". 

On the bright side, there are supposed to be a lot of retirements in the not too distant future.  Moving the mandatory retirement age from 60-65 really slowed down airline hiring and promotions.  That happened about 5 years ago, so hopefully things will start moving again soon.  I heard recently that over 40% of the nearly 5000 pilots we have at FedEx are within ten years of retirement.  Not sure if that's a fact, but I wouldn't doubt it, and I would think that it's pretty similar at the other major carriers.

fdx flyer

Just another thought...  Like some of the other posters, I'd also advise you to use caution before plopping down $65k for a pilot farm.  It could work, but you'll have lots of debt, and won't be able to pay it off for a really long time.  Maybe you could look into an aviation degree at some 4 year schools?  I know Henderson State, and Delta State in Cleveland, MS both have aviation programs.  Maybe you could get some financial aid?  Or work your way through school?  I think it'd be much more difficult to get a job and then try to get a degree in your off time than to get the degree up front. 

Brownstreak

FDX Flyer has excellent advice yet again.  From the UPS perspective, while we don't hire many fighter guys, the vast majority of our pilots have flown the C130, C17, C5, KC10 or have flown at mainline 121 airlines such as America West, USAir, Delta, TWA, Kalitta, Gemini, Atlas, etc. That's quite a bit of experience to be going against.

They do hire some regional pilots, but they're the minority in comparison to the rest of the other groups represented.  I'm not trying to discourage you either, but realize you have a hard road ahead.  It's going to be tremendously harder if you don't have a degree.  It can be a degree in something besides aviation to have a fall back plan just in case you lose your medical or some other circumstance.

Flying Razorback

fdx and brown, you'll have to let me know what your favorite beverages are.  It's never too early to start networking...  Wouldn't you prefer to discuss the Hogs and Arkansas on those trans oceanic night lines?...
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Brownstreak

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on May 29, 2013, 10:23:08 pm
fdx and brown, you'll have to let me know what your favorite beverages are.  It's never too early to start networking...  Wouldn't you prefer to discuss the Hogs and Arkansas on those trans oceanic night lines?...

Of course!  Beverages on me.

FaytownHog

Thanks for all the advice guys! This was definitely what I was looking for! Some things you just can't read about on google or take them at face value. Toping out at 100k would be fine by me...haha. I never could imagine making that much money actually. I just love flying but I don't make good money at all currently. I don't know if you know much about missions work but you can't be in it for the money, that's for sure. I raise more money for other people/programs than I ever sniff.

I've thought about Henderson as well but even then it's financing a degree and the pilot school is on top of the tuition so you're probably still 100k in debt when you come out of there in 4-5 years. At least you would have a degree though I guess.

My problem is, and I fear it might be the dream killer, that I waited to late in life. I'm only 27 but I'm trying to get my wife through college in the next year and a half and then she'll want to start popping out babies ect ect. I have no clue how I'd quite my jobs and go to school full time and pilot school for 4-5 years. Just no clue. But on the other hand, if I didn't, I probably would never have enough money to make it worth even getting my regular pilots license even because you'd need to rent a plane, pay for the gas ect. And I would rather be doing a job I love, like missions or flying, for the majority of my time than make better money at a crappy job where I hate my life 80% of the time but I get to go flying once a month or something with spare money (if that makes any sense).

FaytownHog

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on May 29, 2013, 10:23:08 pm
Well if that isn't grabbing the bull by the horns....haha.

Brownstreak

Quote from: FaytownHog on May 30, 2013, 02:28:58 pm
Thanks for all the advice guys! This was definitely what I was looking for! Some things you just can't read about on google or take them at face value. Toping out at 100k would be fine by me...haha. I never could imagine making that much money actually. I just love flying but I don't make good money at all currently. I don't know if you know much about missions work but you can't be in it for the money, that's for sure. I raise more money for other people/programs than I ever sniff.

I've thought about Henderson as well but even then it's financing a degree and the pilot school is on top of the tuition so you're probably still 100k in debt when you come out of there in 4-5 years. At least you would have a degree though I guess.

My problem is, and I fear it might be the dream killer, that I waited to late in life. I'm only 27 but I'm trying to get my wife through college in the next year and a half and then she'll want to start popping out babies ect ect. I have no clue how I'd quite my jobs and go to school full time and pilot school for 4-5 years. Just no clue. But on the other hand, if I didn't, I probably would never have enough money to make it worth even getting my regular pilots license even because you'd need to rent a plane, pay for the gas ect. And I would rather be doing a job I love, like missions or flying, for the majority of my time than make better money at a crappy job where I hate my life 80% of the time but I get to go flying once a month or something with spare money (if that makes any sense).

27 isn't too late, but you need to do some serious soul searching.  Your wife HAS to be onboard with your goals; if she's not, then you'll be another divorced pilot statistic.  I met my wife when I was hauling checks and had no money and she can still be bat-shite crazy sometimes.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Brownstreak

And put the babies on the back burner until you have some stability.  They just add undue stress if you can't provide for them.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Brownstreak on May 30, 2013, 02:19:58 pm
Of course!  Beverages on me.

Hey if I'm going to be needing a sponsor I'll buy for you and fdx for the next 5 years.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: FaytownHog on May 30, 2013, 02:29:25 pm
Well if that isn't grabbing the bull by the horns....haha.

Hey it's a cut throat world out there.  Lots of pilots that all look alike.  I don't know if I even want to fly outside of the AF, but if I do UPS and Fed Ex are some of the toughest doors to get in to but would fit me a lot better.

RNC

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on May 30, 2013, 06:14:18 pm
Hey if I'm going to be needing a sponsor I'll buy for you and fdx for the next 5 years.

Don't know about those two but I can throw down a lot of booze in 5 years.  Might wanna lower the bar a bit ;).

FaytownHog

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on May 30, 2013, 06:15:21 pm

Hey it's a cut throat world out there.  Lots of pilots that all look alike.  I don't know if I even want to fly outside of the AF, but if I do UPS and Fed Ex are some of the toughest doors to get in to but would fit me a lot better.
Hey, more power to ya! Good luck!

FaytownHog

Quote from: Brownstreak on May 30, 2013, 04:21:36 pm
27 isn't too late, but you need to do some serious soul searching.  Your wife HAS to be onboard with your goals; if she's not, then you'll be another divorced pilot statistic.  I met my wife when I was hauling checks and had no money and she can still be bat-shite crazy sometimes.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely keep people posted!

fdx flyer

Go away for a couple of days, and now I'm being offered beverages for the next five years!  Man I've gotta check this board more often.  FRAF I'd be glad to talk more offline sometime.  Stay in touch.  I also know there are a few guys that fly with the guard unit there in LR that are at FedEx.  Get to know them, and fly with them if you can.  Their recs would carry a little more weight.

Faytown - Somehow I missed the fact that you do missions work, or I would've mentioned this earlier.  I give some monthly financial support to a buddy of mine who is a missionary pilot.   He did his training with Moody Bible Institute.  Google Moody Aviation.  They train pilots and mechanics for missions work.  My buddy is with New Tribes Missions and flew down in Venezuela until Chavez kicked them out of the country.  Now he's one of their instructors out in Arizona.  I could put you in touch with him if you'd like. 

I also have another friend who is a mission pilot for Seventh Day Adventists in Papua New Guinea.  Both of their jobs look very challenging and fulfilling.  Hard work and not great pay, but probably more rewarding in a lot of ways than carrying a plane full of rubber dog poop (or iPads, or whatever we're hauling) out of Hong Kong. 

FaytownHog

Quote from: fdx flyer on June 01, 2013, 09:07:25 pm
Go away for a couple of days, and now I'm being offered beverages for the next five years!  Man I've gotta check this board more often.  FRAF I'd be glad to talk more offline sometime.  Stay in touch.  I also know there are a few guys that fly with the guard unit there in LR that are at FedEx.  Get to know them, and fly with them if you can.  Their recs would carry a little more weight.

Faytown - Somehow I missed the fact that you do missions work, or I would've mentioned this earlier.  I give some monthly financial support to a buddy of mine who is a missionary pilot.   He did his training with Moody Bible Institute.  Google Moody Aviation.  They train pilots and mechanics for missions work.  My buddy is with New Tribes Missions and flew down in Venezuela until Chavez kicked them out of the country.  Now he's one of their instructors out in Arizona.  I could put you in touch with him if you'd like. 

I also have another friend who is a mission pilot for Seventh Day Adventists in Papua New Guinea.  Both of their jobs look very challenging and fulfilling.  Hard work and not great pay, but probably more rewarding in a lot of ways than carrying a plane full of rubber dog poop (or iPads, or whatever we're hauling) out of Hong Kong. 
Holy cow! Yea, that would be awesome! Shoot me a PM with their info! I appreciate it!
I'm always looking for "buddy" passes too to help with missions if anyone has any they can donate, or knows of anyone that does, that would be a huge help too!

AnonymousHog

Also Faytown these Pilot farms advertise it costs this much.  But they will find a way down the road to charge you around an extra $30k on top.  So don't always trust the price they give you.

PEtrader

You are almost too old, especially if you have a family, so if you are serious than get on it.   Frankly it is not a good career to get into unless the only thing you want to do every single day/night of the week is fly.  Flying is not the romantic career that some make it out to be. 

The majority of guys I went to flight school with quit after they had spent all the money and were instructors, or quit after getting to a regional because of the crap pay and hours.  Three guys out of the 100 or so I started with at Henderson that are still flying.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

PEtrader

Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

FaytownHog

AnonymousHog

Quote from: PEtrader on June 14, 2013, 01:08:16 pm
You are almost too old, especially if you have a family, so if you are serious than get on it.   Frankly it is not a good career to get into unless the only thing you want to do every single day/night of the week is fly.  Flying is not the romantic career that some make it out to be. 

The majority of guys I went to flight school with quit after they had spent all the money and were instructors, or quit after getting to a regional because of the crap pay and hours.  Three guys out of the 100 or so I started with at Henderson that are still flying.

When did you go to Henderson?

PEtrader

flynhog

Military is the best way to get started.  It's hard but worth it.
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

PEtrader

Quote from: flynhog on July 15, 2013, 09:31:15 pm
Military is the best way to get started.  It's hard but worth it.

Might be wrong, but I think he is too old.  Cut off was 27 when I was going through the Corps.

dc10x1103

Quote from: PEtrader on June 14, 2013, 01:08:16 pm

not everyone can be as lucky as I was.  but I will tell you how fantastic it can be.......I had 36 days of vacation a year. I divided that into 4 9 day periods.  then I put the start of vacation at the end of one international trip and the end of vacation at the start of another international trip.  I would wipe out a whole month with 9 days.  I ended up with 4 months of vacation a year.  then when you consider you only flew 13 days a month that means I only worked barely over 100 days.    as I said     not everyone can be that lucky, but it does happen