Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone have anytime in a Maule?

Started by ADAM_713, January 06, 2012, 08:34:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ADAM_713

It is what I learned in (obviously went to Henderson) and it is like flying a SUV.  My now future Father-in-Law has one out in CO and does a ton of soft field landings on creek beds and what not.  Just wondering if anyone has some experience in one and has some stories.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on May 19, 2010, 11:42:38 am
true story...

i paid a stripper $5 to slap me in the face right after i bit down on a lime after a tequila shot.  twas EPIC.

gotyacovered

I don't have any stories, but that sounds fun. Sounds like to need to fast track the wedding and move to CO!!!

If by "my now future FIL" means you just got engaged, congrats.
You are what you tolerate.

fdx flyer

I used to own one - a 1974 M5-210C.  It had some damage history.  I bought it as a project and restored it.  It's definitely an SUV.  Great short field perfomance - although I never really pushed the limits in the bush, etc.  There's nothing real fancy about them.  Pretty spartan interiors, etc - but they make a good utility plane that will carry a decent load.   They're also very simple, and easy to maintain.   I sold mine and bought a Bonanza because I wanted more speed and comfort, especially when I take the whole family somewhere.   

gotyacovered

Quote from: fdx flyer on January 08, 2012, 12:11:05 am
I used to own one - a 1974 M5-210C.  It had some damage history.  I bought it as a project and restored it.  It's definitely an SUV.  Great short field perfomance - although I never really pushed the limits in the bush, etc.  There's nothing real fancy about them.  Pretty spartan interiors, etc - but they make a good utility plane that will carry a decent load.   They're also very simple, and easy to maintain.   I sold mine and bought a Bonanza because I wanted more speed and comfort, especially when I take the whole family somewhere.   

That was a good looking rig

ADAM_713

Quote from: gotyacovered on January 06, 2012, 09:11:20 am
I don't have any stories, but that sounds fun. Sounds like to need to fast track the wedding and move to CO!!!

If by "my now future FIL" means you just got engaged, congrats.
[/quote

just got engaged, thanks.
true story...

i paid a stripper $5 to slap me in the face right after i bit down on a lime after a tequila shot.  twas EPIC.

ADAM_713

true story...

Hogbus320

I also flew all the Maules at HSU.  Back then we only had six of them and N43HS was the queen of the fleet since she had the IFR gps and the 180 hp motor.  Those Maules were amazing.  It's the only plane I've flown that had a negative flap setting to make you go faster!

GusMcRae

My crusty old CFI says that a Aviat Husky is the closest thing to a helecoptor out there.   ;D

But damn,,,, that's a short take-off in the Maule!  Wow!

I took a friend up this morning in the C-150,,, I weigh close to 200, and he probably weighs 240 or so,,,,,, I waited until I gained an extra 5 mph from where I normally do before I eased back on the yoke,,,, and very gingerly climbed on out at 80 indicated air speed.  Seemed like it took foooorrrr evvvvv errrr  to get off the ground and another month to get up to 3000 msl.
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

any of those HSU maules taildraggers?

Hogbus320

Quote from: gotyacovered on May 31, 2012, 02:57:56 pm
any of those HSU maules taildraggers?
No they were/are all trike gear.  They do have a Citabria for tail wheel training.

Jek Tono Porkins

I'm at Henderson right now. They've got some new ones since you old-timers have left that we use for Instrument training. They've also got 180hp engines in them.
And Hogbus, I couldn't imagine 43 being the queen of the fleet. It's the oldest one we have now! Haha
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Hogbus320

Quote from: ReddieHawg on May 31, 2012, 09:04:37 pm
I'm at Henderson right now. They've got some new ones since you old-timers have left that we use for Instrument training. They've also got 180hp engines in them.
And Hogbus, I couldn't imagine 43 being the queen of the fleet. It's the oldest one we have now! Haha
Yeah the fleet is pretty nice now.  I especially like the new Arrow.  Oh and those new sims....let's just say I'm jealous.  We had this plastic thing known simply as "The Frasca" but it got the job done.  You guys and gals are at a great place. I'm proud of my education. The things I learned an the people I met down there helped me get to where I am now.

gotyacovered

Quote from: ReddieHawg on May 31, 2012, 09:04:37 pm

You weren't the one who slapped the twin in the HSU fleet on 23 at KHOT awhile back were you ???  ;D  ;D it popped the tire... Shut down the runway for a few min...

I was inbound From M18 and there was another student/instructor that was in a hurry to get back and he had to taxi back and give him a ride. The dialouge was funny enough on the radios that it made my log book.

Glad to have you around! What stage are you in? How much do you guys get to fly? I hear you guys on my way to LR and hot springs all the time.

Jek Tono Porkins

June 01, 2012, 06:52:24 pm #13 Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:47:59 pm by gotyacovered
Quote from: Hogbus320 on May 31, 2012, 09:17:43 pm
Yeah the fleet is pretty nice now.  I especially like the new Arrow.  Oh and those new sims....let's just say I'm jealous.  We had this plastic thing known simply as "The Frasca" but it got the job done.  You guys and gals are at a great place. I'm proud of my education. The things I learned an the people I met down there helped me get to where I am now.
LOL, we still have the Frascas, and I fly them sometimes because they're cheaper than the Redbird.

Quote from: gotyacovered on May 31, 2012, 09:41:42 pm
You weren't the one who slapped the twin in the HSU fleet on 23 at KHOT awhile back were you ???  ;D  ;D it popped the tire... Shut down the runway for a few min...

I was inbound From M18 and there was another student/instructor that was in a hurry to get back and he had to taxi back and give him a ride. The dialouge was funny enough on the radios that it made my log book.

Glad to have you around! What stage are you in? How much do you guys get to fly? I hear you guys on my way to LR and hot springs all the time.
Haha, not me! I haven't been in the twin yet.

I am a cross-country and some checkride prep away from getting my instrument rating. Our flight slots are twice a week, but most of us try to fly our slots, wednesdays, and the weekends. Unfortunately, the weather doesn't cooperate with us very well. 2 years ago, I needed to do a series of VFR cross countries to finish up the "commercial 1" lab, but I could only do those on the weekends, and EVERY. SINGLE. WEEKEND. from mid-February to mid-May, the weather was either too bad at Arkadelphia or any destination I wanted to fly to. It's frustrating sometimes, but I really like the program.

We've got a good/bad problem in that at the current moment we have 5 full-time flight instructors. Bad that the number is that low, but good in that people are getting hired elsewhere, which means the pilot job market is picking up.

Also, we now have a direct-hire program with Pinnacle Airlines, but that's currently on hold due to Pinnacle being bankrupt. But it'll come back once Pinnacle gets their house in order.

The only thing I don't like is, of course, the price. If you go from Intro to CFI, you're probably going to spend around $50,000 just in flight fees, which is in addition to tuition and all that other stuff. I'm lucky enough to where my leftover scholarship money mostly pays for it, but with those scholarships comes GPA requirements and time restrictions, so I don't get to fly as much as I would like. Realistically to get through the program in 4 years one would have to stay down in Arkadelphia and fly during the summer, where you can fly just about every day.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung