Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cody Burns

Started by MJ2, October 25, 2005, 12:06:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

clemensrules01

Quote from: Hardwork321 on October 26, 2005, 03:22:05 pm
kodi Burns would never see the field with MM at QB and Norman at WR.
please man. c'mon. norman? norman was only offered a scholarship so that we could get mustain. he WILL NOT be a star at arkansas, ill doubt if he will even play much. damian williams is the real WR at springdale. norman just feeds off mitch's talent/system/talent of other players around him. he is NOT  a d-1 player.

TheSportsGuy

the thing i am scared about is that when i have seen springdale play, mitch gets about 5 seconds in the pocket.  sometimes he just stands still like the play has stopped because he has so much time.  kodi has had to develop quicker decision-making which will help him on the next level.  can mitch develop quicker decision-making.  i know brashears couldn't.

PorkRyan

Quote from: Rudy on October 26, 2005, 08:07:21 pm
Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on October 26, 2005, 01:33:05 pm
Quote from: ken on October 26, 2005, 01:24:39 pm
kodi could be looking at Texas....they like to run a balanced attack...& vince will be leaving soon

Texas is focused on Ryan Mallet probably 5- STAR QB then  Nathan Dick 4- STAR and Casey Dick's younger brother.  So depending on which one committs first I would say Arkansas :razorback: gets the other.

Stewie is on top of it.  Actually Stewie, we have three prospects -- all of whom ARE strong D-1 QB prospects (I don't know what some of you have been smoking - jeez!)  Here is the situation...

Ryan Mallet - Yes, he has attended Houston Nutt football camps since he was 9 years old.  Yes, his father is an Arkansas graduate.  Yes, he is in Texarkana, Texas.  Yes, many already have him at the top of next year's QB crop - even ranked above Jimmy Clausen, the next Clausen brother whom many pick to be the top QB prospect (watch out for Ouday and Cousay Clausen...I hear that they are even better than Jimmy).  Yes, it is a fact that as a junior ball boy at this summer's Elite 11 camp, Ryan out passed all of the big senior prospects - including Matt Stafford, Mitch Mustain, Tim Tebow and the rest.  He is already holding one offer - from the Nebraska Cornhuskers.  Yes, Texas is salivating all over themselves to get Ryan.  Ryan is a huge fan of the Miami Hurricane.  Ryan camped at Arkansas last year, but he also camped at Michigan and Texas.  Don't count on Ryan coming to Arkansas.

Nathan Dick is the pocket passing brother of Casey Dick.  Nathan is already considered a top QB propsects in next year's class.  Texas A&M, Arkansas and Texas are already moving on this kid (as well as Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa State, New Mexico, Iowa, SMU).  Every recruiting source is saying that Nathan is better than brother Casey.  Nathan is weighing all options, but has said he would like to be at Arkansas with his brother. Money on the Razorbacks to get this commitment.

Kodi Burns is going to be listed more often as an athlete than as a QB.  In fact, we might see him hit the Rivals top 100 as one of the best athlete prospects in the country - meaning he can do many more effective things on assignment than he can staying under center.  At 6-1/185, Kodi is just better suited to go to another position (Nathan Dick is 6-3/194 and Ryan Mallett is 6-6/230).  Kodi will be one of those athletes who's speed and athletic skill will translate well into a wide receiver or free safety position (God knows we need some talent AND brains in the Arkansas secondary).  He is holding an offer from Arkansas and I think he will become a Razorback.  I also think he will be utilized in another position other than QB.

Some other QB prospects who may show up on Arkansas's radar in the class of 2007: 
Billy Chavis (Beaumont, TX).  Billy is 6-5/210 and has schools like Oklahoma, Miami-FL and Texas on his list, but has also expressed interest in Arkansas.
Matt Simpson (Shiloh Christian).  Matt is going to grab some D-1 attention.  I highly doubt Arkansas will recruit him as a future QB, but at 6-1/195, they may look at him as an all round utility player.  But, it is important to note that Simpson completed 233 of 390 passes for 3,457 yards (36 TD's) as a sophomore.
Stefan Loucks (Pulaski Academy).  Stefan is a lot like Matt Simpson in his numbers - (357 of 590 passes for 4,392 yards and 43 touchdowns as a sophomore) -- some strong numbers that will get many colleges looking his way.  Will Arkansas recruit Stefan as a QB?  We will see.

Nonetheless, Arkansas fans are so uneducated and inexperienced when it comes to the program recruiting additional QB's when it has a noted QB prospect.  So many have it in their minds that because Mitch Mustain has committed to Arkansas, that any other noted prospect will not even consider coming to the Hill.  It is important to note that even at the end of the decision process, Mustain considered many schools that have several top QB prospects already on their roster.  Matt Stafford (now regarded as the #1 QB prospect) selected a Georgia team that gained the commitment of the #7 pro-style QB in 2005 and the #9 rated pro-style QB in 2004.  Having a top QB prospect does not translate into every other regarded prospect looking elsewhere.  It is amazing that Hog fans think this way.  The Arkansas program has seen highly ranked running back come one after the other (and in fact two top prospects in Mcfadden and Jones, came together), why would all other QB prospects scatter simply because we gained the commitment of one Mitch Mustain?  That is just one decent QB where some schools (like Miami, Michigan and USC have a stable of the very best).  I think we will see the University of Arkansas land a pretty strong QB commitment in next year's class simply based upon the kids who are already expressing interest in the Arkansas program.

I can assure you Kodi Burns will not play any position in college other than QB.  You can take that to the bank and the editor of the Ft Smith paper will back me up on that.

TheSportsGuy

we'll see.  but i don't want any excuses when he switches positions in the future.

akp4105

line mitch and kodi up...and let them run the 40..you'd be suprised at who would win..kodi burns can juke people...but he is not very fast..a 4.7 is not even comparable to matt jones..

PorkRyan

Quote from: akp4105 on October 27, 2005, 01:05:19 am
line mitch and kodi up...and let them run the 40..you'd be suprised at who would win..kodi burns can juke people...but he is not very fast..a 4.7 is not even comparable to matt jones..

You are correct.  Burns has quick moves but overall he isn't very fast.  He has the vision and strength of a good running back and those are two reasons why he is an effective runner.

akp4105

i think last nights game showed who's the better qb..burns is alot like jones with the scrambling ability..and also gettin himself into trouble..he was sacked 3 or 4 times i believe and threw 2 picks..now one of the sacks the lb just came straight through the middle and there was nothin kodi could do about it..but #33 chased him down a couple times for sacks..because he was tryin to make a play...he looks a little faster than 4.7...mitch on the other hand is the better qb..and it showed last night..his poise is amazing..but the best player on the field was once again damian williams...with 2 rushing tds, 1 td catching it..and a pick of burns on defense, that he leaped high to get...anyways..burns may be good, be he isnt close to mitch

The_Bionic_Pig

October 29, 2005, 01:09:32 pm #57 Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 01:18:49 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
I will give him this Kodi Burns won a summer competition in 2003  with a throw of 74 yards. For comparison, Jacksonville quarterback Byron Leftwich supposedly was the best in some NFL contest with a 72-yard toss. So the kid has a strong arm  :o but seems to rely on his feet more than his pocket awareness.  Still he is still a amazing athelete nonetheless that I would make a top priority in the upcoming recruiting season.  By the way that 4.7 forty is waay off he is easily 4.5 or faster and he and Mitch Mustain need to be on the field together!!! 

Sprindale -vs- Northside - (Photo's)
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=31944.new#new
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

B-VilleHOG

Bentonville annihilated Burns and the Northside team. I forgot how many sacks we had and accounted for 2 interceptions. I dont think he is a goog Div. 1 QB. He' ll want to stay around the South and no-one but Ark would want him. He may fit well in our rush style offense but i highly doubt it.

Div. 2 would love to have him.

akp4105

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on October 29, 2005, 01:09:32 pm
I will give him this Kodi Burns won a summer competition in 2003  with a throw of 74 yards. For comparison, Jacksonville quarterback Byron Leftwich supposedly was the best in some NFL contest with a 72-yard toss. So the kid has a strong arm  :o but seems to rely on his feet more than his pocket awareness.  Still he is still a amazing athelete nonetheless that I would make a top priority in the upcoming recruiting season.  By the way that 4.7 forty is waay off he is easily 4.5 or faster and he and Mitch Mustain need to be on the field together!!! 

Sprindale -vs- Northside - (Photo's)
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=31944.new#new

hold on there stewie..he won an event in the competition..which was the furthest ball..the competition itself went to matt simpson from shiloh i believe...yeah he can throw it a mile..that doesnt mean he can do everything else

HawgnDos

Quote from: hogstorm on October 25, 2005, 02:27:59 pm
Quote from: DOGALUM on October 25, 2005, 02:20:47 pm
I don't agree man. Not trying to start a big argument.....just saying that I don't think he is a major college QB. Should be a great QB at a smaller college, or a college where passing accuracy isn't important. No doubt the guy can make plays. Again.....just my opinion.
i dont think passing accuracy is a problem for burns at all. he reminds me a lot of matt jones except with much more passing ability...hmmm matt jones with much more passing ability...sounds like a winner to me
That's the same thing they were saying about Robert Johnson but I can see it with Kodi Burns.  He does have that escapability only seen with Matt Jones and he is very fast but he can truly deliver the ball, not like Mustain but pretty well.

ken

Quote from: akp4105 on October 29, 2005, 12:55:40 pm
i think last nights game showed who's the better qb..burns is alot like jones with the scrambling ability..and also gettin himself into trouble..he was sacked 3 or 4 times i believe and threw 2 picks..now one of the sacks the lb just came straight through the middle and there was nothin kodi could do about it..but #33 chased him down a couple times for sacks..because he was tryin to make a play...he looks a little faster than 4.7...mitch on the other hand is the better qb..and it showed last night..his poise is amazing..but the best player on the field was once again damian williams...with 2 rushing tds, 1 td catching it..and a pick of burns on defense, that he leaped high to get...anyways..burns may be good, be he isnt close to mitch

i have to agree that Mitch may be the better of the 2...but it is hard to tell since Mitch is surrounded by great talent at nearly every position & Kodi is basically all the grizzlies have that could be considered great & he spends so much of his time haveing to run for his life & adlibbing plays...plus did ya notice he put his first 6 passes perfectly in the recievers hands and they dropped em ...I will say this, I grew up in Odessa Texas and played briefly for Permian high school,( broke my ankle 2 times trying to stay with em) I watched the mojo win 6 state championships in texas before Moving to Arkansas & I will say that Springdale may be the best all around balanced high school team I have seen in my 50+ years of watching high school..Gotta give em credit....ever one else in Arkansas is playing for 2nd place

bigred7987

Im from TN so don't know much about Khodi...is he the black QB for Northside from those pictures that were posted from that game?

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: bigred7987 on November 01, 2005, 02:34:14 pm
Im from TN so don't know much about Khodi...is he the black QB for Northside from those pictures that were posted from that game?

That's him B.R. -
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Ugly Uncle

Again, not that this means much...

But he said that heard that Kodi really wants to come to Arkansas and that he is not afraid of the competetion with MM.  If he redshirts and Mustain leaves after Jr. Year as he will if he is given the chance on the hill he will have three years starting.

I added the part about Mustain leaving early...but Otis thinks he will come here if asked.
Retired Radio Host

tophawg19

put kodi with springdale and coach m for a year and MM with northside and you would be more impressed with kodi less with mitch . both are good but mustain lacks the escapeability if that's a word to play with a poor team and still be superstar  type .  he needs good protection . kodi would benefit from a line like springdale has as would most qb's in the state . unless you put both on the same team there is no legit way to compare .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

DOGALUM

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 02, 2005, 06:32:52 pm
put kodi with springdale and coach m for a year and MM with northside and you would be more impressed with kodi less with mitch . both are good but mustain lacks the escapeability if that's a word to play with a poor team and still be superstar type . he needs good protection . kodi would benefit from a line like springdale has as would most qb's in the state . unless you put both on the same team there is no legit way to compare .
I agree that it's hard to compare.  No doubt.   But you're way off on Mitch not being able to escape.  The guy can run the ball......it's just that he doesn't ever have to.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 02, 2005, 06:32:52 pm
put kodi with springdale and coach m for a year and MM with northside and you would be more impressed with kodi less with mitch . both are good but mustain lacks the escapeability if that's a word to play with a poor team and still be superstar type . he needs good protection . kodi would benefit from a line like springdale has as would most qb's in the state . unless you put both on the same team there is no legit way to compare .

You have no idea what you're talking about if you think Mitch lacks escapeability.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

hawgfan_18

yes espn and rivals have him ranked high, but as an athlete, not a QB

PorkRyan

Mitch didn't look so hot when he was playing against equal talent and with a line that couldn't block.

Now you guys get a feel for what Burns had to go through all season with a line full of Sophomores.